Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Might sound really negative, but after the effort of the Swansea cup game, i'd take a point tonight. At full freshness i'd expect us to go for the win, but nothing is guaranteed with saints and we all know we drop points when at full strength - So as it is, tired players, a few injures and absentees, i'd take the point right now.

58 minutes ago, M271 said:

Yesterday they were showing the recording starting at 10.30pm for 1h 45m but that had the Everton v Leicester match live before it until it was postponed.

Not sure why not showing live, only game on, and Premier League channel just showing repeats of Soccer AM and Neville interviews.

8 minutes ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Not sure why not showing live, only game on, and Premier League channel just showing repeats of Soccer AM and Neville interviews.

They were going to show the Everton v Leicester game tonight and there are probably logistical reasons why they can't now show this one instead at such short notice.

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

They were going to show the Everton v Leicester game tonight and there are probably logistical reasons why they can't now show this one instead at such short notice.

not much.  The game will be available all round the world, just not here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csh398 said:

It will be a back 3 tonight, with wing backs. Not sure how I feel about that TBH

Very unlikely, if Ralph plays that way then he automatically loses one of his in-form midfielders Romeu, JWP & Diallo. I expect him to start more or less where he left off on Saturday and whilst some players will last longer than others he will take the risk and haul them off when they're knackered.

For me it's a no brainer especially with SArmstrong nowhere near match-fit enough to start.

Forster

JWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Romeu Diallo

Redmond Elyounoussi

Tella Broja

Why wouldn't he start with his current best eleven as this is in effect a six pointer? A good win and Saints are knocking on the door of the top ten. Some tough games coming up so this one is a 'must' win that we need to win. I'm going for 2-0.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

I think that once a broadcaster has picked the live match for televising then they have to stick to it. Does seem strange to be able to televise ours one hour behind starting when the match is still going on, must be a broadcasting time delay limit rule in the contract somewhere.

This Digital Spy thread has some people posting who talk about match picks and what might happen with re-arranged matches. They are also saying that of the Arsenal matches still to be picked i.e. March games until end of the season 11 out of 10 will be televised 8 by Sky and 2 by BT !!

2021-22 Premier League TV Fixtures Thread - Page 108 — Digital Spy

Edited by M271

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Might sound really negative, but after the effort of the Swansea cup game, i'd take a point tonight. At full freshness i'd expect us to go for the win, but nothing is guaranteed with saints and we all know we drop points when at full strength - So as it is, tired players, a few injures and absentees, i'd take the point right now.

I sort of feel the same way, but worried that our next 4 matches are against top 10 teams (with 3 away), so even with Man U's awful form I can't see us picking up many points from those; a win tonight would help protect against the run coming up. A defeat would get me checking the league table again. 

19 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Very unlikely, if Ralph plays that way then he automatically loses one of his in-form midfielders Romeu, JWP & Diallo. I expect him to start more or less where he left off on Saturday and whilst some players will last longer than others he will take the risk and haul them off when they're knackered.

For me it's a no brainer especially with SArmstrong nowhere near match-fit enough to start.

Forster

Romeu Diallo

Redmond Elyounoussi

Tella Broja

Why wouldn't he start with his current best eleven as this is in effect a six pointer? A good win and Saints are knocking on the door of the top ten. Some tough games coming up so this one is a 'must' win that we need to win. I'm going for 2-0.

I would also start with a back 4, Ralph has played 3 at the back mainly against the bigger teams this season (Spurs, Chelsea (cup), Liverpool & Man U (2nd half only)) and think that this will continue. 

However, I hope that whatever formation he starts he is ready to change the sysem to adapt to the game a little quicker than some of the previous matches. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Forster

Romeu Diallo

Redmond Elyounoussi

Tella Broja

I hope your right, but I believe it will be a back 3 with wing backs. I expect an unusual/surprising choice for one of the wing backs. My views on this are reflected in my comment where I’ve said I’m unsure how I feel about it. I’ve never particularly liked seeing us play with a back 3 if I’m honest. 

although I may be wrong of course

Edited by csh398

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

I sort of feel the same way, but worried that our next 4 matches are against top 10 teams (with 3 away), so even with Man U's awful form I can't see us picking up many points from those; a win tonight would help protect against the run coming up. A defeat would get me checking the league table again. 

For some bizarre reason, I feel we would be more likely to win at Wolves than tonight... 

3 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

we need him starting tonight! And every other game for that matter!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. We need him performing. That's far more important. 

If he doesn’t start, he cannot perform.

• Like 2

To anyone in the know, could you please confirm that the Brentford match will be on Sky Sports starting at 21.00.

If it is, then my intention is to not tune in to Adam Blackmmore and Dave Merrington on the live Radio Solent broadcast and resist all reports of the match and then watch at 9 pm.

Am I correct in thinking this is a most unusual thing for Sky Sports.....to show a match 75 minutes after it has started and will ,in effect, still be playing ? 

My great worry is that I don't listen to the match on radio.....which I incidentally quite enjoy.....and then find at 9 pm that some contractual obligation prevents Sky from broadcasting the Saints match.

First World problem I realise but as a Saints fan of over 60 years it would be a buggar to miss out after holding my nerve for 75 mins.😇

A " What ever happened to the Likely Lads " episode comes to mind !

4 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

To anyone in the know, could you please confirm that the Brentford match will be on Sky Sports starting at 21.00.

If it is, then my intention is to not tune in to Adam Blackmmore and Dave Merrington on the live Radio Solent broadcast and resist all reports of the match and then watch at 9 pm.

Am I correct in thinking this is a most unusual thing for Sky Sports.....to show a match 75 minutes after it has started and will ,in effect, still be playing ? 

My great worry is that I don't listen to the match on radio.....which I incidentally quite enjoy.....and then find at 9 pm that some contractual obligation prevents Sky from broadcasting the Saints match.

First World problem I realise but as a Saints fan of over 60 years it would be a buggar to miss out after holding my nerve for 75 mins.😇

That's what it's showing the Sky Sports website, very odd.  My only thought is they have Sudan vs Guinea on two channels, so one might hope they'd drop one and watch the whole of the Southampton game.  All I can suggest is checking in near the time.

image.thumb.png.1a959a8c2e0c15940f57b9afce7333dc.png

image.png

Edited by Jeremy Corbyn

5 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

It’s showing on my sky box starting at 9pm. All a bit weird but that’d what’s showing.

12 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

It is extremely weird and I don't ever remember it happening before, although I dare say it has.

I'll be streaming hopefully. Not going to make it to St Mary's as it is too late for my youngest on a school night. It's annoying that with these two postponements we've lost two weekend daytime home fixtures but there it is.

14 minutes ago, TWar said:

Are you positive about this? They aren't going to just show the second half live? Or however far through it is

I think I read it's "as live". So from the beginning just an hour and a quarter behind. 

Edit... but who knows until it happens! Either way I'm early to bed for work so will only follow it live.

Edited by SNSUN

I had a horrible dream last night Brentford that took us to the cleaners. Mind you, it didn't help that for some reason we had a 5 year old girl in goal. Very talented but she couldn't overcome the physical challenges. Maybe I should limit the alcohol before going to bed.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

Just to add to the confusion about this. In the last 5 minutes ( about 17.30 ) Sky have now switched the Saints v Brentford match to 10. 30 pm. 

So not live now. I wonder what happened there re Skys contrctual obligations in showing " live " matches.

Nope nothing to be confused about now.

Sky Sports never had a contractual agreement to broadcast this game as it wasn't one of their initial picks for that weekend.

It was an error on their behalf, and they've now changed the 9pm showing to "Sky Sports News".

For those wondering what they'll be showing at 10:30pm then - it'll be the full 90 minutes as part of their "Game of the Day" (they do this every Saturday)

As our game is the only one tonight they can show the full thing after the game has concluded.

RH has a couple of decisions to make but not a great amount of choice 
I reckon Stevens rather than Salisu, Stu rather than Moj and Adam A. rather than Broja
He'll trust his 4222 and bring in Broja and Moj mid second half if we're chasing the game, else close it with Salisu or Lyanco moving us to a 5-4-1

Forster
JWP Bednarek Stevens, Perraud
Stu A. Romeu Diallo Redmond
Adam A. C.Adams

Interesting to think where he'd want to invest in Jan... Left back, Wide left, Striker? I'd save our money and go for a real top class GK in the summer.

Edited by ButtikonSaint

10 minutes ago, ButtikonSaint said:

RH has a couple of decisions to make but not a great amount of choice 
I reckon Stevens rather than Salisu, Stu rather than Moj and Adam A. rather than Broja
He'll trust his 4222 and bring in Broja and Moj mid second half if we're chasing the game, else close it with Salisu or Lyanco moving us to a 5-4-1

Forster
JWP Bednarek Stevens, Perraud
Stu A. Romeu Diallo Redmond
Adam A. C.Adams

Interesting to think where he'd want to invest in Jan... Left back, Wide left, Striker? I'd save our money and go for a real top class GK in the summer.

Salisu is our best CB, why would you leave him out? Especially as he had an enforced rest at the weekend. I would drop Bednarek who is a liability and play either Stephens or Lyanco.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Salisu is our best CB, why would you leave him out? Especially as he had an enforced rest at the weekend. I would drop Bednarek who is a liability and play either Stephens or Lyanco.

No disagreement - thinking that RH might want to keep the "same" back four as vs Swansea 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic