Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Stephens at rightback and salisu/bednarek in the middle would be sensible. Then again, Diallo was class today so maybe diallo romeu in the middle and JWP at rb. I'd prefer the former personally, we miss jwp in the middle too much when he isn't there.

Stephens RB probably the right shout. Though I thought his distribution today was very sloppy at times. Like you I don’t like JWP not in the middle, I like Diallo but we are better with JWP in there.

6 minutes ago, nta786 said:

If Tino is definitely out, I wouldn’t mind some of that versatility Ralph goes on about and play with a 3 at the back (to match Brentford)

Otherwise, I’d probably put Jack Stephens at right back and get JWP back in his best position. 

If I was the Brentford manager though, I’d just stick Mbeumo on Perraud who had a stinker today and played 120m, they’ll find chances that side. I think put Redmond on the left side to help Perraud out and track back. 

I think maybe people are being a bit harsh on Perraud. When we had a player sent off we just moved one CM to Rb, this ment Perraud had a lot less support and often had players overloading him. He had a poor game and made some silly mistakes but that fact certainly didn't help as he was overloaded on quite often. He's been pretty solid mostly this season so I wouldn't judge him based off his performance when down a holding mid.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, TWar said:

Stephens at rightback and salisu/bednarek in the middle would be sensible. Then again, Diallo was class today so maybe diallo romeu in the middle and JWP at rb. I'd prefer the former personally, we miss jwp in the middle too much when he isn't there.

We didn't really miss him at all when he was suspended for 3 games earlier in the season. We won 2 of them.

• Like 2

You can't make it up can you. Strengthen at full back, get great cover at RB.

Then when you need the depth, 4 of your full backs are out. What are the chances.

No Tino, KWP suspended, Valery suspended, Small COVID. 

So, through an amazing turn of bad luck we are going to have to shoe-horn a position in a very, very important game. Not great at all.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You can't make it up can you. Strengthen at full back, get great cover at RB.

Then when you need the depth, 4 of your full backs are out. What are the chances.

No Tino, KWP suspended, Valery suspended, Small COVID. 

So, through an amazing turn of bad luck we are going to have to shoe-horn a position in a very, very important game. Not great at all.

Is Valery suspended for the league?

Forster; JWP, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud; Romeu, Diallo; Tella, Elyounoussi; Redmond, Broja.

Subs: Caballero, Stephens, Lyanco, Chauke, S.Armstrong, Walcott, A.Armstrong, Long, Adams (if back from covid)

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

Forster

Stephens Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Jwp Diallo

Redmond Elyounoussi

Armstrong Broja

I think Diallo deserves a start and Romeu just ran 120 mins running the midfield alone and looked knackered and error prone because of it so a little rotation is in order imo

26 minutes ago, TWar said:

Forster

Jwp Diallo

Redmond Elyounoussi

Armstrong Broja

I think Diallo deserves a start and Romeu just ran 120 mins running the midfield alone and looked knackered and error prone because of it so a little rotation is in order imo

Good line up, and given the players not available, it shows the strength in depth we have this year compared to last.  Depends, of course, on any changes in availability by Tuesday. 

• Like 1

Just now, Professor said:

Good line up, and given the players not available, it shows the strength in depth we have this year compared to last.  Depends, of course, on any changes in availability by Tuesday. 

Yeah the depth we have now is excellent. Last season Ralph said something like "I'm glad we have so many points already as we have a bunch of injuries and are going to struggle"

This season I think we would be fine short of a freak injury crisis. With the takeover this is the most positive I've felt about saints since Koeman.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TWar said:

Forster

Jwp Diallo

Redmond Elyounoussi

Armstrong Broja

I I hope it isn't that line up. The 4222 is not very good 

• Like 1

People are forgetting how utterly abysmal we were when either Stephens or bednarek played at right back. We have to go to a 3 at the back for this IMO, Bednarek, Salisu and preferably Lyanco but Stephens if not. Then play Armstrong, Redmond or Tella at right wing back. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

People are forgetting how utterly abysmal we were when either Stephens or bednarek played at right back. We have to go to a 3 at the back for this IMO, Bednarek, Salisu and preferably Lyanco but Stephens if not. Then play Armstrong, Redmond or Tella at right wing back. 

Cant believe I'm saying this but it would need to be Redmond, at least he tracks back. Not sure Armstrong is up to that level of fitness yet

Edited by beatlesaint

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Cant believe I'm saying this but it would need to be Redmond, at least he tracks back. Not sure Armstrong is up to that level of fitness yet

Redmond did indeed, to his credit do a lot of running and chasing back yesterday Seems very fit.

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Hoping we can nab four points from the next couple of games. Because after that, not only does the schedule get sporadic, we also have City, Spuds & Utd as the next three.

Big energy week please! 

We've taken points off several of the top teams this season (Utd, Spurs, City, West Ham) so I'm facing these games with more optimism than dread. (Yes, I do know those words could very well come back to haunt me!)

#glasshalffull

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Hoping we can nab four points from the next couple of games. Because after that, not only does the schedule get sporadic, we also have City, Spuds & Utd as the next three.

Big energy week please! 

Is that the Utd who played sh#t and lost at home to Wolves in their last match?

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d go: 3-4-1-2. Prowsy wing-back and Armstrong just behind the front two.

Forster

Stephens, Bednarek, Salisu

Ward-Prowse, Diallo, Romeu, Perraud

S. Armstrong, Broja, Redmond

Walcott far away from St Mary’s.

I hope Walcott stays at St Mary's for years to come, player, mentor, coach. he's one of our own

• Like 1

A 352 variation with JWP on the right definitely makes sense. Or even a 4141.

If we have an extra body in midfield we won't miss him so much.

Stephens at right back with Bednarek inside him sounds like a recipe for a soft goal.

Just not "4222" FFS.

18 minutes ago, Dellman said:

I hope Walcott stays at St Mary's for years to come, player, mentor, coach. he's one of our own

He was born in North London, spent 6 years here before going back to north London aged 16 and when the opportunity arose to come back, turned it down in favour of a bigger contract at Everton. We have Japanese, Latvian and Norwegian players who’ve spent longer in Southampton than Walcott.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Beat Swansea and you lot turn us into World Champions! lol

Suggesting that we might sneak a few points out of Utd, City and Spurs = "world champions"

Lol indeed...

#facepalm

Edited by trousers
  • Confused 1

I back us to take points off of one of spurs or united. We didn't lose to either of them in the first half of the season and honestly there is an argument that united have gotten worse and spurs might be without Son.

2 hours ago, Sideways Jim said:

More likely we're making a point to the Premier League 

2 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Why not? PL rules init 

Wonder if suspensions are taken into account, or if it’s just injuries, and Covid, either real or imagined by the club making the appeal. 

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wonder if suspensions are taken into account, or if it’s just injuries, and Covid, either real or imagined by the club making the appeal. 

Leicester just got their game called including AFCON as reason as well as COVID and injuries.

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Think for Prem league it's based on how many "first team" squad players teams have left available. So effectively any absences count, whatever the reason.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic