Saints vs Newcastle - Postponed

Lighthouse

Today 4 premier league games have been rearranged for 18th/19th Jan. Is there a reason why Saints vs Newcastle hasnt been rescheduled for then too?

I initially thought they might want to keep that midweek free for us incase we have an Fa cup replay to play, but Brentford are playing us on the 12th and then Man utd on 19th, so I guess 25th/26th would be an option for a cup replay.

It's the spurious "suitably experienced" U23s that muddies the waters where teams have not been using the junior members of their squads even as names on the subs bench. Better the EFL rule, any 13+1 from the combined first team and reserves without qualification.

6 minutes ago, saintrich said:

Today 4 premier league games have been rearranged for 18th/19th Jan. Is there a reason why Saints vs Newcastle hasnt been rescheduled for then too?

I initially thought they might want to keep that midweek free for us incase we have an Fa cup replay to play, but Brentford are playing us on the 12th and then Man utd on 19th, so I guess 25th/26th would be an option for a cup replay.

Newcastle will probably resist anything until Feb at the earliest so they can get the maximum number of new players as their new found wealth can bring in before any re-arranged matches...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, saintrich said:

From the FA website - no replays in the FA cup for 3rd and 4th rounds this year apparently.....

Ties in the third and fourth rounds of this season’s competition will be played to a finish on the day, with extra-time and penalty shootouts if required.

I note that the 4 matches that have been rearranged today are all going to be on BT Sport. I do hope the PL is not rearranging matches based on what TV Deals can be put together, if it is then that stinks. I don't understand how none of the Everton matches have yet been rearranged when they are the worst hit by postponements. 

9 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Interesting reaction from Jordan and Keown on talkSport. They said it was interesting - ie they didn't say we were being ridiculous - mainly because NUFC had asked for the postponement because of injuries rather than covid. I think we all can see, or (being charitable) at least suspect, that NUFC have played the system. 

What a huge, massive crock of shit.  What happens if Newcastle sell a few players in the meantime too?  Do they get to come back to Newcastle to fulfil those fixtures?

The PL agreed to postpone the game.  They can't just turn around after doing it and say "oh, by the way you cant play any of your new players for the Saints game".  Interesting to note nobody seems to be talking about the also postponed Brentford game with the same concern.

Its just one of those things.  Get over it.

1 minute ago, sambosa75 said:

What a huge, massive crock of shit.  What happens if Newcastle sell a few players in the meantime too?  Do they get to come back to Newcastle to fulfil those fixtures?

The PL agreed to postpone the game.  They can't just turn around after doing it and say "oh, by the way you cant play any of your new players for the Saints game".  Interesting to note nobody seems to be talking about the also postponed Brentford game with the same concern.

Its just one of those things.  Get over it.

I think the main crux is that only Newcastle have the ability, to in effect, build an entirely new team. They could then face us with 4 or 5 star players who would immediately lift them above our available quality. That seems slightly unfair given the team we would have faced had the fixture gone ahead at the time it was supposed to.

That's the fear I think most have. An extremely winnable game a week or so ago, could turn into an impossible task in a few weeks due to their investment.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the main crux is that only Newcastle have the ability, to in effect, build an entirely new team. They could then face us with 4 or 5 star players who would immediately lift them above our available quality. That seems slightly unfair given the team we would have faced had the fixture gone ahead at the time it was supposed to.

That's the fear I think most have. An extremely winnable game a week or so ago, could turn into an impossible task in a few weeks due to their investment.

I understand why some have an issue but that is just the unfortunate circumstances we find ourselves in.  The PL agreed to the postponement, they can't now just change the rules on account of their takeover giving them increased spending power.  Where is the line in the sand if that happens?  Man City prior to their takeover was always a very winnable game.  Do we retrospectively null-and-void all their wins against us since Mansour bought them on account of all the money they have spent and the fact they wouldn't have been able to spend it without the takeover happening?!

Nobody seems unduly worried about Brentford going out and signing a load more players before the re-arranged fixture.  

3 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

I understand why some have an issue but that is just the unfortunate circumstances we find ourselves in.  The PL agreed to the postponement, they can't now just change the rules on account of their takeover giving them increased spending power.  Where is the line in the sand if that happens?  Man City prior to their takeover was always a very winnable game.  Do we retrospectively null-and-void all their wins against us since Mansour bought them on account of all the money they have spent and the fact they wouldn't have been able to spend it without the takeover happening?!

Nobody seems unduly worried about Brentford going out and signing a load more players before the re-arranged fixture.  

I just really hope we use the postponement as an incentive and go out and beat whatever Newcastle team is put in front of us. For me they clearly played the system and used gamesmanship aka cheating.

• Like 1

Basically full strength today vs Cambridge - absolute shambles and they lost. Final shot of the game by Almiron, and he shanked it from just outside the D to almost hit the corner flag.

Absolutely beautiful result. 

Surely going to make players think twice about joining them when they can't even beat Cambridge (60th in the football league) with the squad they had today. Shelvey, almiron, joelinton, ASM, Willock, fraser, trippier, ritchie, schar, and Dubravka.... Embarrassing for them!

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

That Cambridge game was a thing of beauty, the FA Cup at it’s finest.

You have to wonder wether them desperately trying to get games postponed until they bring in new signings has actually pissed off their players. It’s not exactly going to inspire confidence in those who would have played.

• Like 1