Saints vs Newcastle - Postponed

Lighthouse

Used to like Newcastle United, have some mates up there who support them, but now I just hope they crash and burn. 

From the threats of legal action and the dodgy corporate structure to get the bone saw brigade takeover done , and now this manipulation of the system to get two 6 pointers delayed until the transfer window opens. 

Now we could be facing MBappe and Halland up front instead of Dwight Gayle ( in their dreams ).

Not sure who is likely to sign for them and risk swapping the Champions league for the Championship next year. My guess is a few loans and maybe a couple that want a final big contract.   

The PL/EFL should say that any new signings cant play in the re-arranged games, as it skews the competition and the games were called of under special circumstances. Also suspensions should be counted in the 13 outfield players available for the match, as a suspension is supposed  to hurt you, not help you get a game called of because you don't fancy it at the moment !    

• Like 5

I was actually all for a suspension of football a few weeks ago, mainly to avoid these obvious games being played by clubs. It's no longer a doubt about the game being brought into disrepute, it has been brought into disrepute and the integrity of the league is on the floor.

If Wilson and ASM hadn't been injured in their last game then they would not have asked for postponement, almost guaranteed. Neither of those players have COVID, so why has the game been postponed? 

They'll now go to January, buy Sven Botman, Trippier, Isak, get Wilson and ASM fit and lift their side up 2 or 3 levels above ours and Brentford's before they re-play those games. That's blatant cheating and the PL simply have no balls. Everyone can see it, even non-football fans.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Of course it will - the Premier League is all about the Product, Newcastle are perfect for the product right now. Forget the gnashing of teeth over Saudi practices not being in line with much of the rest of the world, that was all smoke and mirrors to hide the passing of brown envelopes. 
Newcastle have £139m to spend this window, and if Howe doesn’t raid Bournemouth for Solanke, and the like from elsewhere. They potentially have the tools to assemble a team to mix things up at the top and create a bit of a story outside the usual “big six” for the Premier League to razzle dazzle, and there being no danger of falling foul of FFP.

We are just mere cannon fodder to feed the Premier League Spectacular show. 

They really won't. It will all go tits up for them, guaranteed. 

All this has done for us fans up here in the wilds of North Shropshire is make us angrier and miss the match but save a 400 miles round trip.Ralph said 'Most of our players have been vaccinated',  why not the Magpies? Their squad is larger than ours  and with their under 23s have plenty to put on the team sheet. I see brown envelopes being passed surreptitiously.Living up to their nickname, devious bastards.

Cheating Geordie twats! They were always going to play the system, especially when Wilson and ASM picked up injuries. Some transparency would be nice re numbers of Covid cases Vs injuries. Won't happen though. What's the betting they missed the magical number of players available required (13) by 1, which would be because they chose to put Hayden under the knife. I would suggest a journalist investigates but he might end up being kidnapped and chopped into little pieces!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I really don’t understand how injuries can contribute to a game being called off. COVID cases, yes, I totally get that. But the statement specifically mentions covid and injuries. Injuries should surely not be a factor?

Yep. That's what I don't like. Stinks of cheating.

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I really don’t understand how injuries can contribute to a game being called off. COVID cases, yes, I totally get that. But the statement specifically mentions covid and injuries. Injuries should surely not be a factor?

Number of available players to put out a team is the criteria , didn’t a Spanish club start with 9 recently and lost 2 to injury so the match was abandoned ??

30 minutes ago, Mattster said:

But we won't have KWP, who would have served his suspension over the Newcastle game. Not a huge issue, but these are all the knock on effects so things will inevitably be different now than they would have been had Newcastle not cheated. A total piss take. Also almost certainly going to be played mid week at some point, which is always harder/sometimes not possible with my two young kids so we might not even get to see the game. Really annoyed by this.

Run out of posts today so edit to say to answer below, we won't have KWP because cumulative yellow card suspensions can only be cleared in the same comp - that is my understanding anyway. 

Agreed, was just looking for a positive. Will still probably go wrong anyway when Swansea game inevitably gets called off. 

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Exactly, it stinks. As as said if ASM or Wilson hadn't been injured in their last game then this would be going ahead, without question -  thus this postponement is nothing to do with COVID and is fully around injuries. 

This is blatant cheating and let's hope when the game is played Ralph uses that as his team talk and we absolutely smash them. Many of us are beyond angry at this. You can bet that, if they'd been forced to play the game, a miracle would have taken place and the walking wounded and covid sufferers would have risen like Lazarus and they'd have put out a strong side. They've become a loathsome club and that's before they've even spent their billions. Hope they are relegated and the owners cut their losses and sell up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waylander said:

Thank you for your concern.

Vaccines do not have side effects that show up after an extended period.

FYI - I am a scientific researcher with 35+ years experience in drug discovery

The person you were responding to never made the point you argued against. They were simply saying they were waiting for longer term study data on the side effects. Not data on long term side effects. 🙄

This is quite infuriating, it’s blatant cheating, no other word for it, don’t they have a Development/U23 squad?

Its obvious what Newcastle’s motives are and It’s about time the Premier League grew a set of balls and started deducting points from clubs who can but won’t fulfil fixtures……sadly we all know that won’t happen though, because Arab money talks. 

I truly hope they go down. 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 1

It’s not cheating - they’re just using the illogical and idiotic rules the PL introduced. Would we do any different ? If we had the chance to postpone 2 winnable games when we had a load of injuries to key players and had a warchest to spend in Jan (plus effectively have a mid season break for the rest of the squad) we would do the same. I don’t even think the PL have done this to favour them - just sheer incompetence. Ultimately I think it’ll be a Burnley or Watford who feel the effects of this most (hopefully) - feel very sorry for Burnley who have lost 4 games through no fault of their own and will have to plough through those games without spending their way out of it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

When we were devastated last season none of this came to our aid. It is blatant stalling giving them time to gain the advantage of lots of new players

• Like 1

Just now, Hodgey said:

It’s not cheating - they’re just using the illogical and idiotic rules the PL introduced. Would we do any different ? If we had the chance to postpone 2 winnable games when we had a load of injuries to key players and had a warchest to spend in Jan (plus effectively have a mid season break for the rest of the squad) we would do the same. I don’t even think the PL have done this to favour them - just sheer incompetence. Ultimately I think it’ll be a Burnley or Watford who feel the effects of this most (hopefully) - feel very sorry for Burnley who have lost 4 games through no fault of their own and will have to plough through those games without spending their way out of it.

Sorry but it's cheating.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

We did differently last season, 9 players out at one point, we didn’t whinge to the premier league, we just got on with it (got tonked 9-0 again as well) 

Unless you believe they can’t muster 13 players and a keeper from their entire club, it’s cheating. If ASM and Wilson hadn’t been injured the other day, this game goes ahead. They didn’t fancy it without them, simple as that. 

• Like 1

It's amazing what money does to people, as far as I'm concerned they can take their ill gotten gains and do one.  Unfortunately the best case scenario is they go down this season before buying their way to promotion and success next.   Sickening that players are willing to take the knee in a show of support and solidarity, yet take their pay from this sort of regime.  Money totally blinds people's morals, every time. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

When we were devastated last season none of this came to our aid. It is blatant stalling giving them time to gain the advantage of lots of new players

Agree. I think when these games postponed prior to January are rearranged all teams should only be able to select from players in their squad before the transfer window.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Agree. I think when these games postponed prior to January are rearranged all teams should only be able to select from players in their squad before the transfer window.

I was thinking exactly the same yesterday,  totally agree.  Unfortunately though it won't happen.  Newcastle are holding all the money,  and the aces. Quite sickening really, used to like them as a club, absolutely dispise them now. 

6 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

That will never happen. What about the players lost in January? Only true solution is to suspend the transfer window which simply won't happen.

Edited by Disco Stu

Absolutely gutted. 

If the EPL have lost control, then lets go into football lockdown once again to get it sorted. 

We cannot have clubs manipulating the rules. Integrity is at zero right now.

Very disappointing. Side note, well done Ralph for seemingly keeping some control of our C19 numbers. Credit where its due.

.......And lastly.......Happy New Years to you all. May 2022 treat you all well. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Problem is players go both ways in the transfer window. FA Cup rules on replays used to be that you couldn't play if you were not eligible for the initial match, don't know for sure if that is still the case. I imagine that this game will be rearranged very soon, there are currently midweek slots during January, it is unrealistic to think Toon will sign many players before the end of January, and even if they do they take a while to bed in. We will still beat them anyway, but it does leave a bad taste.

5 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

And pigs might fly. The PL is in existence for only one pursuit and that is the God Mammon. We fans are shat upon week after week and yet sit back passively and do nothing. Perhaps a boycott of those 'dodgy cancellations. may prove effective.

• Like 1

Dorchester - I absolutely don’t believe they can’t put a competitive team out, and to be clear I completely disagree with it and if it was up to me all games would go ahead unless over 13 registered squad players had Covid/isolating, I agree with you.  But - the rules are that if less than 11 outfield players and 2 gks from the first team squad (25) are available you can postpone (MLG may well correct me here). That’s the case with Newcastle unless anyone can prove differently (and as they can’t name affected players due to privacy you can’t). I’m pissed as it certainly means we have a much lower chance of 3 points, and I want Toon to go down as I hate the thought of them proffering from blood money, but they are not cheating and anger should be directed at the PL.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

We did differently last season, 9 players out at one point, we didn’t whinge to the premier league, we just got on with it (got tonked 9-0 again as well) 

Dear god.

There were different rules in place last season, and 20 odd games hadn’t already been postponed. 

It is not “cheating” to request a postponement, they haven’t cheated anymore than Brentford cheated when they requested a postponement. Posters anger is aimed in the wrong direction, once the league started allowing postponements teams will request them. 

10 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

the rules have changed since then though haven't they? Pretty sure if we were struggling we'd use the rues to our advantage now.

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Dear god.

There were different rules in place last season, and 20 odd games hadn’t already been postponed. 

It is not “cheating” to request a postponement, they haven’t cheated anymore than Brentford cheated when they requested a postponement. Posters anger is aimed in the wrong direction, once the league started allowing postponements teams will request them. 

It's not that hard to understand yet some seem unable. Cant blame Newcastle, the league have set a precedent here and they are taking advantage of it. If people are going to blame anyone blame the league. Newcastle arent cheating, any club would do the same in their position if they were able. 

22 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

What if some of those players have been sold, or are injured / have covid? 

Edited by egg

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

As annoying as it is, there are positives for the Wolves game in 2 weeks. Che, Lyanco and Stephens will be back, Tino can rest his knee and Salisu would've served his suspension. 

Providing  we play Swansea next week 

17 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

A quick look at the NUFC forum and you can see they are all classes twats, who cant wait to spend their ill gotten blood money.

They're in for a nasty surprise, they will go the same way as QPR, no doubt about it. The owners don't have a strategy, you can tell that with their manager search. It's going to be very, very funny

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Dorchester - I absolutely don’t believe they can’t put a competitive team out, and to be clear I completely disagree with it and if it was up to me all games would go ahead unless over 13 registered squad players had Covid/isolating, I agree with you.  But - the rules are that if less than 11 outfield players and 2 gks from the first team squad (25) are available you can postpone (MLG may well correct me here). That’s the case with Newcastle unless anyone can prove differently (and as they can’t name affected players due to privacy you can’t). I’m pissed as it certainly means we have a much lower chance of 3 points, and I want Toon to go down as I hate the thought of them proffering from blood money, but they are not cheating and anger should be directed at the PL.

Was trying to figure out how this works. The likes of Broja and Livramento are not in our 25 man EPL squad from what I can see but are listed in a separate U21 squad so how do they count?

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

the rules have changed since then though haven't they? Pretty sure if we were struggling we'd use the rues to our advantage now.

I can’t believe you’re defending this!? They’ve literally pulled this game because they don’t fancy it without their ‘stars’ and they’ve been allowed to do so by a weak governing body with Arab money in their eyes!

The idea that they can’t muster 13 players and a keeper from across the club is as ridiculous as your blind ‘whataboutery’ about what we may or may not do under the circumstances (as it happens I believe we would play on and maintain our integrity) 

It stinks!

• Like 3

Just now, Dorchester Saint said:

I can’t believe you’re defending this!? They’ve literally pulled this game because they don’t fancy it without their ‘stars’

The idea that they can’t muster 13 players and a keeper from across the club is as ridiculous as your blind ‘whataboutery’ about what we may or may not do under the circumstances (as it happens I believe we would play on and maintain our integrity) 

It stinks!

He wasn't defending it. He was saying he's pretty sure we'd do the same if we needed to. I reckon we would too. Not saying its right, because it's not, but you can understand why they've done it. 

3 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Was trying to figure out how this works. The likes of Broja and Livramento are not in our 25 man EPL squad from what I can see but are listed in a separate U21 squad so how do they count?

You don’t have to list U21 players in the main squad,so if you have u21s they can be included in addition to the main squad. Which is why a PL side should never not have enough eligible players due to injuries, albeit you have to drill down to the reserve/junior sides.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

Couldn't disagree more.  Integrity - something that is sorely missing from Newcastle.

Look at Burnley - injuries and COVID cases galore yet they still play their games and don't whinge about it.  Dyche went up massively in my estimation with his pre-match conference and talking about pampered players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

They're in for a nasty surprise, they will go the same way as QPR, no doubt about it. The owners don't have a strategy, you can tell that with their manager search. It's going to be very, very funny

🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏🤞

• Like 2