Saints vs Newcastle - Postponed

Lighthouse

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

I think there is broad consensus that needs transparency. There will always be the gullible like LD that trust in the PL’s integrity. However if that is the case why aren’t they being clear? Tuchel whinging about 7 out with covid but only two are known. What can we not see the other 5 of otherwise easy to come to conclusion that he is full of shit.

Just seen the Chelsea Squad from last night.  What on earth is Tuchel moaning about.  He is really embarrassing himself with these comments!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just seen the Chelsea Squad from last night.  What on earth is Tuchel moaning about.  He is really embarrassing himself with these comments!

He is taking the crown from others as most annoying whinging manager moaning from the most privileged of positions. 

• Like 5

Just now, whelk said:

He is taking the crown from others as most annoying whinging manager moaning from the most privileged of positions. 

I heard a comment on the radio this morning that Tuchel stated that Chelsea simply cannot win the league (laughable or something) due to their absences/player welfare or something.

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is a load of turd.  Much like the need to show vaccination status getting in. Serves zero purpose on stopping the spread, of what is a relatively mild illness

The point is if they are ineligible because they chose to be not through circumstances. The merit of it is not the issue. Clubs need to own the problem not cry that the world isn’t fair.

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Must be a very small chance of this game going ahead I would imagine as obviously the PL decided the Everton game couldnt go ahead and rightly or wrongly I don't see how the situation will be different by Sunday and NUFC clearly better off were it to be postponed.

Probably get a confirmation today/tomorrow of it being off.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Must be a very small chance of this game going ahead I would imagine as obviously the PL decided the Everton game couldnt go ahead and rightly or wrongly I don't see how the situation will be different by Sunday and NUFC clearly better off were it to be postponed.

Well surely some of their 'covid positives' will have completed their period of isolation by Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

A possible difference is Newcastle Covid cases that mean they miss their postponed Everton game on Thursday may be out of self isolating before Sunday.

14 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Can't remember where I saw it but someone was saying Manquillo got a second yellow in the dying minutes of last game for time wasting giving him a ban, which lowered their available players sufficiently low for a postponement. Probably bollocks but pretty unfair if true as they brought that upon themselves.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

So the league were right in not allowing them to postpone game. Amazing how Newcastle can pull the wool over their eyes, but not Chelsea 😂

12 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Well surely some of their 'covid positives' will have completed their period of isolation by Sunday.

4 of them missed the Man Utd game on Monday..so unless they all tested positive on that day then they should be back (as long as they are negative now obviously) 

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Can't remember where I saw it but someone was saying Manquillo got a second yellow in the dying minutes of last game for time wasting giving him a ban, which lowered their available players sufficiently low for a postponement. Probably bollocks but pretty unfair if true as they brought that upon themselves.

I don't reckon suspensions should count. If you can only name 12 plus a goalkeeper because one is suspended then tough.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So the league were right in not allowing them to postpone game. Amazing how Newcastle can pull the wool over their eyes, but not Chelsea 😂

Why is it amazing? Maybe Newcastle are just being more disingenuous than Chelsea.

42 minutes ago, whelk said:

I think there is broad consensus that needs transparency. There will always be the gullible like LD that trust in the PL’s integrity. However if that is the case why aren’t they being clear? Tuchel whinging about 7 out with covid but only two are known. What can we not see the other 5 of otherwise easy to come to conclusion that he is full of shit.

I saw that 7 out with covid comment, then saw that squad, and couldn't join the dots. It's bollox to suggest that they have 7 first team players unavailable with covid. He's someone who likes a moan, worst in the league by a mile. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

I saw that 7 out with covid comment, then saw that squad, and couldn't join the dots. It's bollox to suggest that they have 7 first team players unavailable with covid. He's someone who likes a moan, worst in the league by a mile. 

Yeah, you can tell he's a whinger by the way he throws a tantrum and acts like a spoilt brat on the touchline when things aren't going his way. Fair play to Brighton last night and they thoroughly deserved at least a point having outplayed the London billionaires for large chunks of the game. How Townsend made Lukaku man of the match is beyond me - was he not watching Cucurella at left back for Brighton or Bissouma in their midfield?

22 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

4 of them missed the Man Utd game on Monday..so unless they all tested positive on that day then they should be back (as long as they are negative now obviously) 

They can easily say that some/all of those are not over the effects of covid. I don't think they will be rushing them back somehow.

Given we would likely be missing three of our usual back four anyway it wouldnt be a total disaster if it gets the chop.

Edited by Dusic

38 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Self isolation is one part of it. It's very easy to say that players are too unwell to play. Newcastle may be playing with a straight bat, but I suspect they're milking the system. 

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

They can easily say that some/all of those are not over the effects of covid. I don't think they will be rushing them back somehow.

Given we would likely be missing three of our usual back four anyway it wouldnt be a total disaster if it gets the chop.

Well I guess they can say that, although if they are returning negative tests after 6 days then the chances are they had very few symptoms. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is a load of turd.  Much like the need to show vaccination status getting in. Serves zero purpose on stopping the spread, of what is a relatively mild illness

It may be mild to most but of course it is death to some

I have had covid for nearly a week it is not nice but if millions of others get it too day to day services will be ravaged my wife has it now but is unable to a get a PCR

Surely something should be done to protect the millions who have not had a booster for a variety of reasons I had one and still got Covid

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

maybe, and new covid cases appear because of the highly infectious nature of omicron and the fact that the players were in a bubble with the infected ones. Covid infections are not discrete events. Likely we will have more cases by Sunday as well.

• Like 1

If I was a cynical conspiracy theorist (which I'm not, obviously...) I'd be inclined to say that IF Newcastle were somehow trying to engineer the calling off of the game, they would definitely go ahead with a pre-match press conference to give the impression that they had every intention of going ahead with the game.... Not that they would be engaging in such smoke and mirrors tactics of course...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, John B said:

It may be mild to most but of course it is death to some

I have had covid for nearly a week it is not nice but if millions of others get it too day to day services will be ravaged my wife has it now but is unable to a get a PCR

Surely something should be done to protect the millions who have not had a booster for a variety of reasons I had one and still got Covid

Sure covid will be grim for some, but I'm not sure what you're advocating should be done. We can't lock away the majority to protect the minority. Life is going on for the masses, and quite rightly too. That should apply to sport too.

Sure, businesses, services, infrastructure, etc are creaking because of Covid but they're getting on with it. Football clubs, managers and players should look at that, stop moaning, and follow suit. 

With that all said, I hope that you and your wife will be OK. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

If I was a cynical conspiracy theorist (which I'm not, obviously...) I'd be inclined to say that IF Newcastle were somehow trying to engineer the calling off of the game, they would definitely go ahead with a pre-match press conference to give the impression that they had every intention of going ahead with the game.... Not that they would be engaging in such smoke and mirrors tactics of course...

As the game hasn't already been postponed they are contractually obliged to hold a press conference. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What if they have covid?

Then they definitely have to self isolate.

“If you’ve tested positive or have symptoms, you can stop self-isolating after 7 daysinstead of 10 days if you get 2 negative lateral flow test results on day 6 and 7.”

The difference between those vaccinated and unvaccinated is the need for self isolation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-contacts-of-people-with-possible-or-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person/guidance-for-contacts-of-people-with-possible-or-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

17 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

As the game hasn't already been postponed they are contractually obliged to hold a press conference. 

True. So it's as much a sign that the game hasn't been called off yet as it's a sign that it's going ahead. In other words, we can't read anything into the press conference going ahead a couple of days before the game, given 'covid affected' games can be called off with only hours notice, in some cases (?)

Edited by trousers

Yep, Rodgers and Benitez have both given pre-match press conferences, complaining about the amount of injuries in their squads and how the Premier League was forcing them to go ahead, then having their matches called off within the next 24 hours. 

Doesn't mean too much.

Having researched a bit more, I don't think there will be much of an advantage for Newcastle

Postponed games will be played asap, not April as I initially thought.

As neither team is in Europe, and there are no FA Cup replays, it should be pretty quick. 

The league will want the games out of the way to avoid messing up the end of the season. Plus they need the competition to retain integrity.

Newcastle will be limited in who they can attract and when they can get them on the pitch.

Just another game, they won't be City or Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Having researched a bit more, I don't think there will be much of an advantage for Newcastle

Postponed games will be played asap, not April as I initially thought.

As neither team is in Europe, and there are no FA Cup replays, it should be pretty quick. 

The league will want the games out of the way to avoid messing up the end of the season. Plus they need the competition to retain integrity.

Newcastle will be limited in who they can attract and when they can get them on the pitch.

Just another game, they won't be City or Liverpool.

Yup, Hasenhüttl has already suggested the Brentford rearranged game may be midweek after the  Swansea FA Cup match.

Serious question. We used to get flu epidemics, usually in winter. I can honestly say I don't know of anyone personally, who has had flu in the past two years. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else on here know of any actual flu cases? I don't recall games being postponed because of flu.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

True. So it's as much a sign that the game hasn't been called off yet as it's a sign that it's going ahead. In other words, we can't read anything into the press conference going ahead a couple of days before the game, given 'covid affected' games can be called off with only hours notice, in some cases (?)

Doubt they will call the game off until at least tomorrow, maybe even Saturday. 

6 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Serious question. We used to get flu epidemics, usually in winter. I can honestly say I don't know of anyone personally, who has had flu in the past two years. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else on here know of any actual flu cases? I don't recall games being postponed because of flu.

Covid is significantly worse than flu. We get circa 20k deaths annually with flu, with no social distancing, masks etc. Even with those measures covid numbers are higher, let alone if we did nothing at all.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

I doubt many on here have ever had actual flu or know people that have. What people call flu isn't. When you've had actual flu, you know about it, and cab understand how it can kill and why it needs an annual vaccine. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Covid is significantly worse than flu. We get circa 20k deaths annually with flu, with no social distancing, masks etc. Even with those measures covid numbers are higher, let alone if we did nothing at all.

Is that deaths caused by flu or with flu (anyone who died within 28 days of a positive test for flu) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, egg said:

I doubt many on here have ever had actual flu or know people that have. What people call flu isn't. When you've had actual flu, you know about it, and cab understand how it can kill and why it needs an annual vaccine. 

I’ve only had Flu once (touchwood) I remember it because it knocked me on my backside, got me 2 weeks off school and it very kindly decided to coincide with the Innsbruck Winter Olympics - which made me get out of bed and go downstairs to watch on TV on the sofa in my jimjams under the duvet. 

3 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I’ve only had Flu once (touchwood) I remember it because it knocked me on my backside, got me 2 weeks off school and it very kindly decided to coincide with the Innsbruck Winter Olympics - which made me get out of bed and go downstairs to watch on TV on the sofa in my jimjams under the duvet. 

Once for me as well. Horrendous. I was young and super fit and have never been so ill. Hospital several times inc coronary care unit, and a throat so inflamed it warranted a biopsy. Hideous stuff and I've made sure I have the vaccine every year as a result. Your timing was better than mine, every cloud etc. 

In truth I don’t think I can blame Newcastle for trying to get it off. It’s a dog eat dog world out there, can anyone blame Newcastle for wanting to give themselves the best chance of beating us? 

In fact I say good on them because in life if you don’t ask you don’t get- if there is a loophole to be exploited it’s rational for them to try to gain an advantage. When there is livelihoods and millions of pounds at stake, expect all ethics to be thrown out of the window.

I think all anger should be directed to the PL who have not been transparent in the process and have somewhat lost control of the whole situation which has allowed teams to make a mockery of the rules.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Covid overall is worse. But this latest variant seems much milder than flu. Think it's caused about 5-10 deaths in the UK (the number of people dying "with it" rather than "from it" will be much higher, of course). It's about on a par with the common cold. Which makes calling off matches because a few very fit men in their 20s have a bout of the sniffles even more absurd. But, as has been said, that's the government's fault not the clubs.

35 minutes ago, egg said:

This is 100% true and something I am always banging on about to people complaining about having it. I think the stats are something like once every 10 years on average across the population, so it is really not that common, and it is or can be a really nasty disease (no such thing as "just" the flu). There's no question of muddling through at work when you've got the full on flu despite what the Beechams ads might say. I had a colleague who swore he got flu twice a year, every year, and wouldn't budge on it, but colds can be pretty nasty too sometimes.

8 minutes ago, nta786 said:

In truth I don’t think I can blame Newcastle for trying to get it off. It’s a dog eat dog world out there, can anyone blame Newcastle for wanting to give themselves the best chance of beating us? 

In fact I say good on them because in life if you don’t ask you don’t get- if there is a loophole to be exploited it’s rational for them to try to gain an advantage. When there is livelihoods and millions of pounds at stake, expect all ethics to be thrown out of the window.

I think all anger should be directed to the PL who have not been transparent in the process and have somewhat lost control of the whole situation which has allowed teams to make a mockery of the rules.

‘Good on them’? sorry mate you aren’t a true football fan. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Newcastle - Postponed
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic