Zagharri Ratcliffe released

Tamesaint

Good news at last for this poor woman and her family.

I never thought I would say this but well done Liz Truss. She has always appeared to be a bit dim and something of an intellectual lightweight pretending to be something she isn't.  The political equivalent of Weston Super Saint but she has come up with the goods this time.

Of course Truss's success as Foreign Secretary in this matter  contrasts somewhat with the performance of our buffoon of a PM when he was Foreign Secretary. He made things worse for Ratcliffe by his bumbling nonsense. I wonder if he is now looking fearfully over his shoulder at Truss 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Wonderful news! Does that mean we finally coughed up the £400m we owed Iran?

Probably, plus some covert oil assurance agreement filtered through non-sanctioned 3rd countries I'd imagine. The timing is too interesting to ignore.

Good news for her and her family, obviously. 

Edited by Plastic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

Good news at last for this poor woman and her family.

I never thought I would say this but well done Liz Truss. She has always appeared to be a bit dim and something of an intellectual lightweight pretending to be something she isn't.  The political equivalent of Weston Super Saint but she has come up with the goods this time.

Of course Truss's success as Foreign Secretary in this matter  contrasts somewhat with the performance of our buffoon of a PM when he was Foreign Secretary. He made things worse for Ratcliffe by his bumbling nonsense. I wonder if he is now looking fearfully over his shoulder at Truss 

Great news ofc, but as Plastic says, almost entirely due to releasing the £400m of Iranian the UK has been holding pretty much illegally for 30 odd years.  

The Yanks are saying that the UK may have gone against an agreement, reiterated last week, that we would be working jointly to ensure that all UK and US dual nationals held in Iran would be treated as a job lot as far as negotiating their release.

Edited by badgerx16

3 hours ago, Manuel said:

Absolutely nothing to do with the money, it's just a coincidence that they have happened at the same time :

Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Mr Anoosheh had been freed on "humanitarian grounds" and that it would be "wrong" to link the UK's payment of its debt to Iran to their release.

Sauce

• Confused 1

Liz Truss contributed nothing to this - we simply had to pay a debt that should have been cleared decades ago.

A shambolic episode, featuring several governments and far too many accountants.

Disgraceful that a family were dragged into it.

• Like 4

Appalling that he is trying to make political capital out of this, especially as he actually made matters worse for her as Foreign Secretary. I hope the family go after compensation. That is the least they deserve after being caught in the middle of an international problem over an unpaid debt.

30 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Appalling that he is trying to make political capital out of this, especially as he actually made matters worse for her as Foreign Secretary. I hope the family go after compensation. That is the least they deserve after being caught in the middle of an international problem over an unpaid debt.

We owed the debt under a labour government as well Soggy.

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

Liz Truss contributed nothing to this - we simply had to pay a debt that should have been cleared decades ago.

A shambolic episode, featuring several governments and far too many accountants.

Disgraceful that a family were dragged into it.

You have presumed she done nothing wrong.

What if she was/is a spy, or conducted work for the UK Govt against Iran?

Is that possible?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jawillwill said:

The man has no shame.

When he was ("the worst in living memory") Foreign Secretary the fat fucker's blundering approach made Zagharri Ratcliffe's plight a lot worse. Most people would have kept quiet about "huge achievements for British diplomacy"  in case of comparison with his own track record - but not our shameless PM.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Blaming the Tory's???

I didn’t say that did I? I blame everyone involved in it but Johnson seems to be trying to take credit for something that he made worse therefore, yes, he needs to take some of the blame don’t you think?

And do you honestly believe that she is a spy?

Edited by sadoldgit
Add
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I didn’t say that did I? I blame everyone involved in it but Johnson seems to be trying to take credit for something that he made worse therefore, yes, he needs to take some of the blame don’t you think?

I have absolutely no idea to say either way. 

13 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Any chance that Iranian oil suddenly starts arriving in UK refineries to make up the shortfall due to the boycott on Russian fuel.

Not unless the USA are on board with lifting sanctions, which is very  unlikely. The timing of all of this is very interesting though. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

the debt is irrelevant then, yes?

The debt was not irrelevant, but it hung over for years until the Tories made things worse. Why do you think there were no hostages earlier if the debt had been around since the Islamic Revolution.

28 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The debt was not irrelevant, but it hung over for years until the Tories made things worse. Why do you think there were no hostages earlier if the debt had been around since the Islamic Revolution.

Didn't labour make things worse as well? I'm pretty sure there was a war on a islamic country under their watch.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Didn't labour make things worse as well? I'm pretty sure there was a war on a islamic country under their watch.

You do remember that Iran fought a war against Saddam Hussein for 8 years. Not sure they were that bothered by Desert Storm and it's successors.

21 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

You do remember that Iran fought a war against Saddam Hussein for 8 years. Not sure they were that bothered by Desert Storm and it's successors.

Yep remember it well. Who knows, i guess you'll have to ask them. Glad to seee that some people are still believing that it's all the fault of the nasty tories that we've owed Iran money for 40 odd years though :lol: 

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Yep, he should take some of the blame.

Since it was made 'better' under his watch (I doubt that he had anything to do with it personally, but he's the man in charge), will you give him any credit as well as the blame?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Since it was made 'better' under his watch (I doubt that he had anything to do with it personally, but he's the man in charge), will you give him any credit as well as the blame?

Credit Putin with focussing our minds on alternative sources of oil ?

16 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

In Soggys mind Johnson is the Les Reed of politics. Everything that goes wrong is because of him, everything that goes right is inspite of him. 

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

As ever with Twitter, when stuff like that is trending it’s 90% people letting everyone know how, "disgusted and appalled but sadly not surprised," they are that it’s trending, with no sense of irony.

Yep although there are clearly loads of wankers that Twitter collects