Well, it definitely won't be Suella Braverman and the rebirth of the Conservative Party

CB Fry

Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Saints Web Tory Leadership Vote

• Sunak
    • Mordaunt
    • Truss
    • Badenoch
    • Tugendhat
    • Braverman

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I rarely ever use the train (awful service, awful system), isn't the DLR automated? Why would that be an issues nationwide?

Would you get on a 150 mph, hundreds of tons, juggernaut knowing there was nobody in the cab ?

Edited by badgerx16

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I rarely ever use the train (awful service, awful system), isn't the DLR automated? Why would that be an issues nationwide?

I think it’s only the guards they want to replace. I believe they’re still promising a bod on the train, but the driver will be responsible for operating the doors. SW Railway won the franchise because they promised to abolish guards, but they gave in after a couple of years of disputes. I imagine  the plan was to roll it out across the country as soon as each franchise was up for renewal. I seriously doubt there will be any attempt for a number of years now, but the RMT will play it up to gain sympathy from mugs like Soggy. 

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

but we are just talking about no guards on the train, wandering up and down checking tickets and operating doors......right?

Yep. The guards that the tube manages without. Jobs for the boys.

45 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

but we are just talking about no guards on the train, wandering up and down checking tickets and operating doors......right?

Your point was about the DLR, which has no drivers, but does have 'passenger services assistants ' on board to check tickets, control the doors, and respond to incidents.

Edited by badgerx16

18 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is it just trains from London that have "unsavoury characters"?

Imagine being on a train from Romney Marsh and some geezer sits next to you and says “may I ask what do you think is wrong with  this country……”

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

the Government want to see huge cuts in the engineering staff which will leave the railway system less safe

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that they are wanting to introduce more modern engineering equipment that requires less human beings to operate it. So, I think the "less people = less safe" argument might be a bit of a non-sequitur in this case. (The unions won't see it that way, of course)

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Would you get on a 150 mph, hundreds of tons, juggernaut knowing there was nobody in the cab ?

The Thameslink trains run on auto through central London.  tbh if Teslas and other self cdriving cars can operate safely on motorways full of drunks, idiots and old ladies trying to ram you, making trains which run on separate straight tracks with just the occasional junction ought to be a doddle.   

23 minutes ago, trousers said:

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that they are wanting to introduce more modern engineering equipment that requires less human beings to operate it. So, I think the "less people = less safe" argument might be a bit of a non-sequitur in this case. (The unions won't see it that way, of course)

There are quite a few complications. One which came out when Mick Lynch appeared before a Commons Committee was a question as to why engineering staff at Euston and King's Cross could not pool equipment. The reason was that they are operated by different franchises who have bought separate maintenance systems which are incompatible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, buctootim said:

The Thameslink trains run on auto through central London.  tbh if Teslas and other self cdriving cars can operate safely on motorways full of drunks, idiots and old ladies trying to ram you, making trains which run on separate straight tracks with just the occasional junction ought to be a doddle.   

Can they ?

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Especially when Welk resorts to making stuff up in a blatant attempt to try and be funny and deflect from his stupid posts.

I'd go with tragic or sad though to be more accurate.

Unrequited humour

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, trousers said:

I think he said that they had already taken on a lot of new technology and were not against bringing in more but that had to be balanced with appropriate staffing levels. The management/Government and the Union are still a way apart from agreement. Given the way the Government operate both in public view and behind the scenes, I would be more inclined to trust Mick Lynch on matters of railway safety!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Boris Johnson and Grant Shapps on a visit to the UK space program in 2021.......

_128250208_3090c4ad-0a28-4f3e-8bae-06bbf

Grant Shapps posts in support of yesterday's launch attempt......

_128250206_72b9a942-8e1b-4364-a7a0-b6a83

I saw this earlier, it’s incredible. I mean, it’s just such a terrible photoshop as well, look at it, what is the rocket supposed to be resting on?!

Schapps is now desperately trying to claim he knew nothing about it then pulled it when he found out.

5 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

What a terrible idea. Let’s use our backlogged nhs to X-ray migrants.

She really is as thick as the proverbial poo from the largest pig in Britain. Look at this as well https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/modern-slavery-watchdog-braverman-migrants-b2258937.html

What she is proposing wouldn’t be effective anyway https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/child-migrants-xray-age-checks-b2259476.html but it might appeal to angry older voters hanging out around JDW in failed towns who always wanted to vote BNP but couldn’t quite find the bottle. Now they don’t have to. 

As for Grant Shapps, is he Shapps or Michael Green the get rich phoney today? https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/eight-weirdest-things-we-know-about-grant-shapps