The Merits of Women’s Football

Sheaf Saint

39 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

All I know for sure is there is absolutely no point in engaging in any kind of debate with you as you are always right and you will always have the last word. If it's that important to you (and it clearly is) then I'm happy to concede. 

It’s not a question of always being right, you made a claim that women who wanted to play football lost their dignity and have been able to provide any evidence, besides a comedy sketch from 35 years ago to back up your claim. Now you’re sulking saying it’s not worth discussing with me, none of it is my fault 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Can't be arguing against a film with women's tits in when your avatar pic is of a woman's tit. You ain't got the moral high ground in this one. 

How about if my avatar was a picture of the statue of Aphrodite or Venus de Milo, would you feel the same?

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

You clearly did 4 hours ago on the womens football thread in the saints area. Given your huge volume of posts, the heat and your incoherence I’ll forgive you for forgetting. 

I didn’t forget, when I said ruined it it was a figure of speech. Like when you go out for a great meal but they bring out your main too close after the starter, you could say “the only thing that ruined it was….” It’s doesn’t mean it ruined the whole evening, just that bit was a slight disappointment, to bad you and dopey need things this explaining to you but unsurprising. 

24 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

It's fairly artistic and not exploitative in any way. Tell me, do you really find it odd or are you just feeling a bit argumentative?

🤣🤣 I hadn’t even noticed your avatar until now. Oh dear, what an own goal. Don’t ever bang on about women losing their dignity ever again 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

🤣🤣 I hadn’t even noticed your avatar until now. Oh dear, what an own goal. Don’t ever bang on about women losing their dignity ever again 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yep, you've won yet again! Happy for you, now you can concentrate on your next certain victory.

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

I didn’t forget, when I said ruined it it was a figure of speech. Like when you go out for a great meal but they bring out your main too close after the starter, you could say “the only thing that ruined it was….” It’s doesn’t mean it ruined the whole evening, just that bit was a slight disappointment, to bad you and dopey need things this explaining to you but unsurprising. 

Thanks for explaining.  I think I've got it.  When you said "its ruined" it was a figure of speech, meaning not ruined but was a slight disappointment.  And when you said "it didn't ruin it" that means it didn't ruin it.    That all makes sense.  You probably won't and I don't blame you, but it would be helpful to me in the future if you could be clear when you are using a figure of speech and when you are speaking literally - it will save any confusion.

Oh and if the hype in the tournament didn't ruin it for you but made it only a 'slight disappointment' why have you felt the need to bang on about it so much? Surely if the meal was that good the timing of the main course would disappear from your memory pretty quick?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Thanks for explaining.  I think I've got it.  When you said "its ruined" it was a figure of speech, meaning not ruined but was a slight disappointment.  And when you said "it didn't ruin it" that means it didn't ruin it.    That all makes sense.  You probably won't and I don't blame you, but it would be helpful to me in the future if you could be clear when you are using a figure of speech and when you are speaking literally - it will save any confusion.

Oh and if the hype in the tournament didn't ruin it for you but made it only a 'slight disappointment' why have you felt the need to bang on about it so much? Surely if the meal was that good the timing of the main course would disappear from your memory pretty quick?

Apologies i'll remember you are an MLG type who takes everything on here literally, needing anything outside of that spelling out to you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

One of the funniest football clips you will see, from what was a 'professional athlete'

The amusing thing is if a bloke had done that everyone would have laughed and it would have been shown on football funnies and used over and over again for years. Because it's a woman the video gets deleted and people get all upset about belittling the womens game. 

Beth Mead Sports personality of the year. I didn’t realise she broke Jimmy Greaves record for most goal last scored for England in a year until tonight. Or that she’s in a relationship with an Arsenal team mate. 

Edited by Turkish

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Beth Mead Sports personality of the year. I didn’t realise she broke Jimmy Greaves record for most goal last scored for England in a year until tonight. Or that she’s in a relationship with an Arsenal team mate. 

At the risk of sounding like Duckie, the whole programme had an unhealthy slant towards women's sport / disabled spott. Matt Fitzpatrick winning the US Open got a very brief 5 second mention. The wheelchair Rugby League team got 5 minutes plus.

God knows how they came up with the shortlist of 6 for the title of Sports Personality.  Most of the shortlist could walk the streets of Southampton without being recognised by 95% plus of the population. 

19 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

At the risk of sounding like Duckie, the whole programme had an unhealthy slant towards women's sport / disabled spott. Matt Fitzpatrick winning the US Open got a very brief 5 second mention. The wheelchair Rugby League team got 5 minutes plus.

God knows how they came up with the shortlist of 6 for the title of Sports Personality.  Most of the shortlist could walk the streets of Southampton without being recognised by 95% plus of the population. 

That’s the narrative these days, just clap along in appreciation 

Presented by Gary Lineker, Clare Balding, Gabby Logan and Alex Scott, the Sports Personality of the Year 2022 was broadcast live from MediaCityUK, Salford.

Tells its own story about how awful the programme no doubt was (I didn't watch it).  Lineker was the token man presumably to justify his incredibly inflated salary (and accompanying ego).

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Has Ronnie O'Sullivan ever won it?

Tyson Fury?

Ryan Giggs has. What is your point?

It is funny how Brits seem to care so much about this gong. As soon as Radacanu wins US Open people start saying she will win SPOTY. Who really gives a shit?

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

Ryan Giggs has. What is your point?

It is funny how Brits seem to care so much about this gong. As soon as Radacanu wins US Open people start saying she will win SPOTY. Who really gives a shit?

it was not a point, it was a question around the very best in the world/generation/ever (for Ronnie)

33 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

it was not a point, it was a question around the very best in the world/generation/ever (for Ronnie)

Expect no darts player has won it either. It is a public vote (I think) so don’t know why people seem so invested in it. 

Real shame Kane missed that second penalty as if we had gone on to win and then beat Argentina in final then they would be massive favourites to win Mens teams of the year next time. Ahh what might’ve been.

Edited by whelk

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Tells its own story about how awful the programme no doubt was (I didn't watch it).  Lineker was the token man presumably to justify his incredibly inflated salary (and accompanying ego).

Yes, but 2 of the women are lesbians, and one of those is black.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

In also seriousness how Tyson Fury hasn't won it is incredible. If you're looking for a Sports Personality and inspirational figure then surely you cant really ask for more. I get he's not everyones cup of tea but to come back from obesity, drink and drug addition and near suicide with all his mental health issues to be world champion and possibly the best heavyweight boxer this country has ever had is about as inspirational a story as you can find. If you haven't listened to his podcast with Jake Humpheries then do, fascinating stuff about what he went through, how he got in such a mess and came back from it. Maybe he hasn't won it because he doesn't want it, he asked to be taken off the list a few years ago. Although it is a pointless award.

29 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Yes, but 2 of the women are lesbians, and one of those is black.

Every box ticked

Always had a thing for Gaby Logan, not sure what it is but something about her.

Edited by Turkish

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In also seriousness how Tyson Fury hasn't won it is incredible. If you're looking for a Sports Personality and inspirational figure then surely you cant really ask for more. I get he's not everyones cup of tea but to come back from obesity, drink and drug addition and near suicide with all his mental health issues to be world champion and possibly the best heavyweight boxer this country has ever had is about as inspirational a story as you can find. If you haven't listened to his podcast with Jake Humpheries then do, fascinating stuff about what he went through, how he got in such a mess and came back from it. Maybe he hasn't won it because he doesn't want it, he asked to be taken off the list a few years ago. Although it is a pointless award.

Pretty sure he asked to be removed the nomination list a couple of years back. 

38 minutes ago, whelk said:

Is Alex Scott a lesbian?

Yes, she was in a long term relationship with another womens footballer, although i believe she likes a bit of both. 

A black bisexual woman is the BBCs dream.

Although in fairness she is a very good presenter.

Edited by Turkish

47 minutes ago, egg said:

Not sure you've read the room on that one Duckie. Nowt wrong with Jill Scott wanting girls to be as keen on football as boys. 

The statement was pony, not the sentiment. There won’t be hardly any little girls asking for football boots because of the chick game. You’ll see from the pathetic attendances that the chick euros won’t make a blind bit of difference to young girls love of the game. The mens game drives their interest and participation. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

Can't decide if you are a WUM or a dinosaur.  Can we have a poll?

You have missed out the other option. At home he is under the thumb of his missus "the snapdragon". He comes on here to express the thoughts that he dare not mention at home. 😁

• Haha 1