The Merits of Women’s Football

Sheaf Saint

19 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

You have missed out the other option. At home he is under the thumb of his missus "the snapdragon". He comes on here to express the thoughts that he dare not mention at home. 😁

I have always thought he is a screaming homosexual. See military dad in American Beauty 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The statement was pony, not the sentiment. There won’t be hardly any little girls asking for football boots because of the chick game. You’ll see from the pathetic attendances that the chick euros won’t make a blind bit of difference to young girls love of the game. The mens game drives their interest and participation. 

Didn't the 'chick' euros final have the highest attendance of any euros game, men or women?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The statement was pony, not the sentiment. There won’t be hardly any little girls asking for football boots because of the chick game. You’ll see from the pathetic attendances that the chick euros won’t make a blind bit of difference to young girls love of the game. The mens game drives their interest and participation. 

I think you might have missed the point on this one grandad. The normalisation of women’s football at a young age has always been a target, and having their own role models is fairly important. There’s plenty to disseminate about that side of the game in general, this really isn’t one.

• Like 1

My daughter was inspired by the Euro success, she plays football, and I'm bloody proud of her.

The standard of games isn't great but that is irrelevant, she's doing what she wants to do, having fun, enjoying sport, inspired and encouraged by our best players who have been fantastic role models.

But if I ever wanted her to think I was a creepy weirdo unable to disguise my dark backward views, I'd call her sport the chick game.

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy sharing a love of football with her.

Like a normal man would.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, The Kraken said:

The normalisation of women’s football at a young age has always been a target, and having their own role models is fairly important. There’s plenty to disseminate about that side of the game in general, this really isn’t one.

There’s been a pathway for young girls to play football for over 20 years, way before the present hype. My 22 year old daughter played, & each of my 3 boys played with girls until a certain age (can’t remember which age it was). It’s been “normalised” for years (the only thing that’s not normal is the coverage given to a sub standard sport), look at crowds around the country, there’s never been a higher percentage of them attending football. It’s got nothing to do with chick “role models” or the hype, and everything to do with the gentrification of the game & the modernisation of the facilities. For every girl that this Beth women inspired to ask Santa for boots, bloke players inspired hundreds and hundreds more.

She completely deluded to come out with the statement she did and if Nathan Redmond claimed he’d inspired little boys to put boots down on his Santa Xmas list, the piss would be taken. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

There’s been a pathway for young girls to play football for over 20 years, way before the present hype. My 22 year old daughter played, & each of my 3 boys played with girls until a certain age (can’t remember which age it was). It’s been “normalised” for years (the only thing that’s not normal is the coverage given to a sub standard sport), look at crowds around the country, there’s never been a higher percentage of them attending football. It’s got nothing to do with chick “role models” or the hype, and everything to do with the gentrification of the game & the modernisation of the facilities. For every girl that this Beth women inspired to ask Santa for boots, bloke players inspired hundreds and hundreds more.

She completely deluded to come out with the statement she did and if Nathan Redmond claimed he’d inspired little boys to put boots down on his Santa Xmas list, the piss would be taken. 

There was absolutely nothing wrong with her statement and the only piss taking going on is of some bloke who still insists on calling women and girls “chicks” despite it not being the 1970’s any more.

Nathan Redmond has not recently won a major honour, she and the Lionesses have and have proved to be great examples to girls in sport. Comparing your statement with hers, it’s not difficult to tell which of you is deluded.

Edited by sadoldgit
Sp
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me how much bollocks can you squeeze into one post.  

It's not a competition, no-one is denying male players inspire boys.  You have nothing to fear, we all agree with that,

Comparing Nathan Redmond with Beth Mead is just utter nonsense. I can't even bother to explain the stupidity of that one.  

Women's football (and cricket and Rugby) have arrived in the mainstream.  To say it's been normalised for years is simply deluded.

It's really not a sub-standard sport.  I get you don't like it and of course the quality is nothing like the men's.  But why the comparison?  The quality of women's football has never been higher.  The fact that it now inspires a generation of girls (not including your daughter I guess) should be applauded.  Can't you see that?

I thought you were a WUM but I'm tending toward dinosaur now.  Thankfully these views will be extinct within one or two more generations.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Fuck me how much bollocks can you squeeze into one post.  

It's not a competition, no-one is denying male players inspire boys.  You have nothing to fear, we all agree with that,

Comparing Nathan Redmond with Beth Mead is just utter nonsense. I can't even bother to explain the stupidity of that one.  

Women's football (and cricket and Rugby) have arrived in the mainstream.  To say it's been normalised for years is simply deluded.

It's really not a sub-standard sport.  I get you don't like it and of course the quality is nothing like the men's.  But why the comparison?  The quality of women's football has never been higher.  The fact that it now inspires a generation of girls (not including your daughter I guess) should be applauded.  Can't you see that?

I thought you were a WUM but I'm tending toward dinosaur now.  Thankfully these views will be extinct within one or two more generations.

So do we compare it or not? On the one hand people say you cant compare the two, they are almost like different sports. Then the next minute we're told Ellen White has broken Rooneys England goalscoring record, Beth Mead has broken Jimmy Greaves goals in a season for England, look how great the women are, they've done what the mens team couldn't etc

If you're taking it on it's own merits then you're right, the standards have never been better and it's never been more popular. If you're comparing it to the mens game then non league teams get bigger crowds than the WSL and it's a significantly inferior and minority sport where the coverage far outweights the interest.

People want it both ways either you dont compare the two or you do. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So do we compare it or not? 

No we don’t. I agree with you the Jimmy Greaves type comparisons are meaningless.  I don’t think they happen as much in cricket or Rugby (not sure)? 

if we remove the comparison nonsense it seems like you and I agree. A moment to savour. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

No we don’t. I agree with you the Jimmy Greaves type comparisons are meaningless.  I don’t think they happen as much in cricket or Rugby (not sure)? 

The 50 years of TMS radio programme started with some bird commentator shouting “England have won the World Cup , England have won the World Cup”, like a demented fisherwoman as the chicks won. That was it, the first piece of commentary reliving TMS’ greatest cricketing moments wasn’t John Arlott, wasn’t Bothams ashes, Lakers 10 wickets or Bradmans duck in his last test match, it was something 95% of cricket fans didn’t even know had happened. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

So do we compare it or not? On the one hand people say you cant compare the two, they are almost like different sports. Then the next minute we're told Ellen White has broken Rooneys England goalscoring record, Beth Mead has broken Jimmy Greaves goals in a season for England, look how great the women are, they've done what the mens team couldn't etc

If you're taking it on it's own merits then you're right, the standards have never been better and it's never been more popular. If you're comparing it to the mens game then non league teams get bigger crowds than the WSL and it's a significantly inferior and minority sport where the coverage far outweights the interest.

People want it both ways either you dont compare the two or you do. 

Nail hit firmly on head. 

I presume it’s the same sport because we have birds analysing the game because they’ve played it, we have a Saints ladies thread on the main board, goal scoring records are compared and success is measured against the blokes. Yet when the woeful standard, fitness levels & attendances are mentioned (that’s not even start on the goalkeepers)all of a sudden it’s  a different sport. 

As you rightly point out, it’s either a shocking level of football or it’s a newish sport that gets way too much exposure than it should. 

• Like 1

Driving home last night my wife  ( a Man City supporter ) was puzzled when the R5 presenter said that Chelsea were playing PSG in the Champions League. 

"How are they playing in Europe when City are playing Liverpool in the cup ?"

Why can't they simply add that they are talking about the women's game ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Driving home last night my wife  ( a Man City supporter ) was puzzled when the R5 presenter said that Chelsea were playing PSG in the Champions League. 

Because that would be an admission that they were different....

55 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Maybe they should be clear that they're talking about the women's game, but anyone who knows anything about football should be aware that the men's Champions League is between rounds at the moment, it shouldn't need spelling out.

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because that would be an admission that they were different....

Why is their competition not simply called the "Super League" ? Why precede it with the 'W' word ? Unless they are worried that people will confuse them with Rugby League's senior competition.

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Why is their competition not simply called the "Super League" ? Why precede it with the 'W' word ? Unless they are worried that people will confuse them with Rugby League's senior competition.

The naming structure was put in place years ago - different times back then when women and men were allowed to be different.

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The naming structure was put in place years ago - different times back then when women and men were allowed to be different.

Or be neither a man or a woman or both......

Edited by Turkish

7 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Maybe they should be clear that they're talking about the women's game, but anyone who knows anything about football should be aware that the men's Champions League is between rounds at the moment, it shouldn't need spelling out.

But it isn't just last night. On any match weekend the BBC will trail, for instance, "Chelsea vs Brighton", despite Graham Potter's team being due to play at Anfield.

Why not accept things and go with the French: "Vive la difference"

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

But it isn't just last night. On any match weekend the BBC will trail, for instance, "Chelsea vs Brighton", despite Graham Potter's team being due to play at Anfield.

Why not accept things and go with the French: "Vive la difference"

Because.......that would make you a bigot.

HTH

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Because.......that would make you a bigot.

HTH

Indeed, everyone is equal, until you want to celebrate being different or promote their rights, then it's about celebrating them being different, the great contribution they make to society or how they need more rights.

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

but when they want to celebrate being different then if you dont celebrate it you're a bigot.

They don’t say bigot but misogynist which is so flippantly used to apply to even mild sexism. Like homophobia now is used to anyone referring to something that a homosexual might take offence at. It used to be used in context of someone who would not tolerate anyone gay.

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Football was available to my girls when they were kids, but they were hardly welcomed. They didn't see Beckham as a role model in the way that they would have seen Jill Scott as one.

My granddaughter wants to play football "like the ladies on TV" and "win trophies like them". That's because her mother has an interest in seeing women play football so they watch it together. I don't enjoy women's football personally, but I respect the positive influence it has on girls that mens football doesn't have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

In summary, if you now hold that men and women are different this is viewed as a load of bollocks.

Correct, apart from when it comes to celebrating the achievements of women, then you're allowed to see them as different. 

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

It’s strange isn’t it. They do it for a well established ladies competition. A competition that doesn’t need the hype,as it’s a well respected proper female sport. 

6CC64EAE-8EEB-44D0-9459-C29CED24B7E3.jpeg

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s strange isn’t it. They do it for a well established ladies competition. A competition that doesn’t need the hype,as it’s a well respected proper female sport. 

To be fair if they followed the example of tennis they would have to call the Premier League the Men’s Premier League.

You Daily Mail lot would love that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

"Ladies" ??? Don't you mean chicks ? Or birds??

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Saint in Paradise said:

I seem to remember that about 3 or 4 years ago in the UK that a woman judge said it was patronising to call females "ladies"

I'd not heard that, but there was a recent directive that female judges are no longer to be called madam or ma'am, and males no longer called sir. A nice gender neutral "judge" instead.