The Merits of Women’s Football

Sheaf Saint

22 minutes ago, egg said:

I wouldn't have posted what Duck posted, but he's correct. I don't watch the women's football for the same reason as I don't watch the afcon or non league football. Basically the standard is low and it just has no appeal. If I was a fan of a team involved I'd watch, but as a general football fan, watching football of that quality just has no appeal. People pointing out the reality doesn't make them a "twat".

He's not correct. Claiming "The Dog and Duck would beat any chick team week in week out" is not "the reality". It might have been a number of years ago but it certainly isn't anymore.

Look I get that it won't have universal appeal. There are clearly a handful of posters who feel it isn't for them and don't want to watch it, and that's fine. But, mods, please could you split the thread so those of us who are actually enjoying this tournament can discuss it like grownups without certain people relentlessly trying to piss all over that enjoyment?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He's not correct. Claiming "The Dog and Duck would beat any chick team week in week out" is not "the reality". It might have been a number of years ago but it certainly isn't anymore.

Look I get that it won't have universal appeal. There are clearly a handful of posters who feel it isn't for them and don't want to watch it, and that's fine. But, mods, please could you split the thread so those of us who are actually enjoying this tournament can discuss it like grownups without certain people relentlessly trying to piss all over that enjoyment?

Your last sentence isn't particularly helpful. People can have an opinion. I respect your view that the women's game is a credible spectacle, please respect others that they don't consider it so. This is a forum after all. 

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Ironically, this thread was already split from one of the threads on the mens team, I think the Summer Transfer Window thread, as people derailed it to talk about the ladies there.  The original complaint was that news headlines didn’t distinguish between the mens and ladies enough, and people felt that was “clickbaity”. Pretty much those same people are still all posting in here, despite the thread title helpfully stating this is about the womens game, which is what they wanted in order to ensure they knew what “not” to click on….  Now they want the womens game not to be debated at all on the main board, despite the Saints board being described as anything Saints related with no reference to just the Mens team being in scope. (Btw Saints have both players at the Euros and three games being hosted there, so it’s definitely related).  This brings the thread total being actively discussed on the main board relating to the womens game to a grand total of 2, which I guess is far too many threads for people who aren’t interested to have to ignore.

what can be surmised from all of this is up for debate, but IMVHO some people just have too much time on their hands

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 3

A very arrogant and patronising post. what is the point of a forum where everyone just nods along in agreement with each other, all having the same opinions and all congratulating each other on great posts? Also what isn't grown up about disagreeing with you? Get off your high horse lad.

I disagree, the USA lady’s lost to an U15’s team ffs. 

Any competent grassroots side would run rings around any women’s team. Especially if given full time training and a carpet to play on. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Ironically, this thread was already split from one of the threads on the mens team, I think the Summer Transfer Window thread, as people derailed it to talk about the ladies there.  The original complaint was that news headlines didn’t distinguish between the mens and ladies enough, and people felt that was “clickbaity”. Pretty much those same people are still all posting in here, despite the thread title helpfully stating this is about the womens game, which is what they wanted in order to ensure they knew what “not” to click on….  Now they want the womens game not to be debated at all on the main board, despite the Saints board being described as anything Saints related with no reference to just the Mens team being in scope. (Btw Saints have both players at the Euros and three games being hosted there, so it’s definitely related).  This brings the thread total being actively discussed on the main board relating to the womens game to a grand total of 2, which I guess is far too many threads for people who aren’t interested to have to ignore.

what can be surmised from all of this is up for debate, but IMVHO some people just have too much time on their hands

I've chipped in purely as someone was labelled a "twat" for saying that they think that the women's game is at a poor standard and has no appeal. There's nothing wrong with that opinion, but everything wrong with calling someone a twat because they have it.

Lots of high horses are being ridden on here. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

I've chipped in purely as someone was labelled a "twat" for saying that they think that the women's game is at a poor standard and has no appeal. There's nothing wrong with that opinion, but everything wrong with calling someone a twat because they have it.

Lots of high horses are being ridden on here. 

Someone was labelled a twat not for their opinion but for how they voiced it, as well you know.

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

I disagree, the USA lady’s lost to an U15’s team ffs.  

Yes, I'm sure they put in 110% effort in a hugely competitive game and were completely embarrassed by a group of kids.

Or perhaps not...

https://www.90min.com/posts/4833646-some-people-think-it-s-funny-that-the-usa-women-s-national-team-were-apparently-beaten-by-u15-boys

"This 'game'....has given overtly sexist knuckle draggers all the ammunition they think they need to lay into women's football".

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yes, I'm sure they put in 110% effort in a hugely competitive game and were completely embarrassed by a group of kids.

Or perhaps not...

https://www.90min.com/posts/4833646-some-people-think-it-s-funny-that-the-usa-women-s-national-team-were-apparently-beaten-by-u15-boys

"This 'game'....has given overtly sexist knuckle draggers all the ammunition they think they need to lay into women's football".

Right, so they got shown up and then all of a sudden ‘weren’t trying’… LOOL

I guess none of these were trying either… 

81919B00-AC53-4B90-8339-70E19880EF9C.png

DE9DE57E-6024-4FAB-9C52-C1DF58185038.png

000D439F-0DF4-49A1-B749-DC9FACE3D613.png

Edited by Dman

So women don't have the strength and speed to compete with even academy level men. That has never been in question and it's the reason why there is a separate women's game.

Instead of constantly comparing it to the men's game, why don't you at least try and acknowledge it for its own merits? I often watch the BTCC when it's on TV because it often has some really close, entertaining racing. I don't dismiss it just because they wouldn't be able to compete in a F1 race. That would be absurd.

Just because women lack the physicality of men, it doesn't mean they can't develop good technical ability and play a good tactical game. There has been plenty of that on show in the current Euros, and some very entertaining games and great goals so far.

Nobody's forcing you to watch or read the media coverage. You are free to ignore the tournament completely if you wish. But if you're not going to watch the games then maybe, you know, stop relentlessly commenting on it? Just a thought.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

So women don't have the strength and speed to compete with even academy level men. That has never been in question and it's the reason why there is a separate women's game.

Totally agree, same sport, completely different interpretation.

I think it's great that they're getting some exposure and hope the woman's game can fully stand on its own two feet in the future (if it isn't already).

Looking forward to watching the game tomorrow night with my little girl and hope it inspires her 🙂

Who is going to St Marys tomorrow, I would offer my spare ticket here but there only seems to be interest in saying how bad women's football is, so I'll look elsewhere.  I hope NI put up a good show, I've certainly enjoyed what I've been able to watch so far and comments that it's park level are risible.

I long ago filled in my bingo card of inevitable comments (what, "beaten by 15 year old boys", being told that yet again?!). But I shan't comment further having only three posts a day, and sufficient other posters here calling out the bigotry - sorry, legitimate opinions - for what they are.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Who is going to St Marys tomorrow, I would offer my spare ticket here but there only seems to be interest in saying how bad women's football is, so I'll look elsewhere.  I hope NI put up a good show, I've certainly enjoyed what I've been able to watch so far and comments that it's park level are risible.

I long ago filled in my bingo card of inevitable comments (what, "beaten by 15 year old boys", being told that yet again?!). But I shan't comment further having only three posts a day, and sufficient other posters here calling out the bigotry - sorry, legitimate opinions - for what they are.

Typical expected response from Sue. Why is it bigotry to say you dont enjoy something because the standard of product isn't as good as you'd like? Another person with a very pious view of the world who doesn't seem to like it when anyone disagrees with them and resorts to the usual insults. Sad really. 

Edited by Turkish

13 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Oh Sue, please offer us your spare. I’m absolutely gutted to be missing out on such a prestigious, once in a lifetime, event. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Typical expected response from Sue. Why is it bigotry to say you dont enjoy something because the standard of product isn't as good as you'd like? Another person with a very pious view of the world who doesn't seem to like it when anyone disagrees with them and resorts to the usual insults. Sad really. 

Given the elite professionals aren’t setting the world alight, god forbid what they’re dishing up at Sue’s park level.  

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

mods, please could you split the thread so those of us who are actually enjoying this tournament can discuss it

As I mentioned yesterday, it would make sense to create a sub-forum under "Southampton Football Club" that's dedicated to the women's team, and associated topics. Seems like a logical approach to me.

image.thumb.png.df2117180d5b953284850e206adabf3e.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

As I mentioned yesterday, it would makes sense to create a sub-forum under "Southampton Football Club" that's dedicated to the women's team, and associated topics. Seems like a logical approach to me.

image.thumb.png.df2117180d5b953284850e206adabf3e.png

I think alot of people seem to be asking for a sub forum with threads where everyone with the same opinion posts. It'd be really interesting to see an OP with 100 likes and all replies saying "completely agree" or quoting it and saying "this" 

For example - Womens Football

Sheaf saints - Great isn't it. Really enjoying it  (234 likes)

Sue Whistle replied "this" (12 likes)

Cloggy Saint replied - yeah, it's fab and anyone who doesn't agree is a bigot (25 likes)

Sue whistle - Yeah i play football and i really like womens football and really hate anyone who doesn't agree with me.  (112 likes)

Sheaf Saint - "this" (3 likes)

Fabrice 29 - "completely agree  (17 likes)

it could go on for days with everyone nodding along with each other, what a great forum that would be.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think alot of people seem to be asking for a sub forum with threads where everyone with the same opinion posts. It'd be really interesting to see an OP with 100 likes and all replies saying "completely agree" or quoting it and saying "this" 

For example - Womens Football

Sheaf saints - Great isn't it. Really enjoying it  (234 likes)

Sue Whistle replied "this" (12 likes)

Cloggy Saint replied - yeah, it's fab and anyone who doesn't agree is a bigot (25 likes)

Sue whistle - Yeah i play football and i really like womens football and really hate anyone who doesn't agree with me.  (112 likes)

Sheaf Saint - "this" (3 likes)

Fabrice 29 - "completely agree  (17 likes)

it could go on for days with everyone nodding along with each other, what a great forum that would be.

You need to add something about wine and lesbians to make it more authentic. 

53 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I find those who are ardent fans of womens football, are like vegans and those who follow NFL

True, they do seem to have similar characteristics. Dont do what you believe in do what you want to be seen to believe in.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Didn't take them long did it :lol:

I had noticed that and genuinely surprised how white the England team is. Wouldn’t think the girls game was elite in anyway so may just be an anomaly 

59 minutes ago, whelk said:

I had noticed that and genuinely surprised how white the England team is. Wouldn’t think the girls game was elite in anyway so may just be an anomaly 

Now we are going to have a diversity in womens football agenda going on. 

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

What about if you posted regularly on a darts forum and a a group of people starting saying womens Darts was brilliant and if you dont agree with them you're  a biggot? 

There is a post on the forum asking whether the club crest needs changing and what ought to be on a new one. As you and some others on here are clearly at a loose end with no superior men's football to watch, why don't you all find your coloured pencils and draw a picture of a nice new badge. Keep inside the lines and with a bit of luck it should keep you occupied until 'In the Night Garden' comes on. 

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

There is a post on the forum asking whether the club crest needs changing and what ought to be on a new one. As you and some others on here are clearly at a loose end with no superior men's football to watch, why don't you all find your coloured pencils and draw a picture of a nice new badge. Keep inside the lines and with a bit of luck it should keep you occupied until 'In the Night Garden' comes on. 

another very arrogant post because a view doesn't directly align with yours. Although if you check my posts on this thread i said serveral times i enjoyed the England game and how good they looked, so nice try, unfortunately you're being condescending to the wrong person. Unlucky sunshine.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Turkish said:

another very arrogant post because a view doesn't directly align with yours. Although if you check my posts on this thread i said serveral times i enjoyed the England game and how good they looked, so nice try, unfortunately you're being condescending to the wrong person. Unlucky sunshine.

To be fair Del, it was funny...made me reach for my colouring pencils. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whelk said:

The UK is 80% white British so statistically 9 of the starting 11 you would expect to be white British.

It’s really not that strange.

1 minute ago, farawaysaint said:

The UK is 80% white British so statistically 9 of the starting 11 you would expect to be white British.

so the mens team is too diverse, interesting.....

1 hour ago, farawaysaint said:

I did see this article recently on the campaign to increase representation in the women's game and wondered if on the same criteria  they should be launching a white campaign for the men's team based on their levels of representation in the national team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62009679

38 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I did see this article recently on the campaign to increase representation in the women's game and wondered if on the same criteria  they should be launching a white campaign for the men's team based on their levels of representation in the national team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62009679

Just read that article. The bits below stood out. I must be missing something as it seems like the representation so far is not very far off of that of the general population. In any case, the men’s Premier League has only around 30% or so of its players who come from England so it’s hardly going to be representative of the population, it gathers the best players from all around the world.

There are only three non-white members of England's 23-woman squad for this month's Euros and the PFA believes that only 29 out of 300 footballers playing in the WSL are from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds - approximately 10%.

That is in contrast to the men's Premier League where it is estimated that just under 45% of players are non-white. In the England men's 2018 World Cup squad, there were 13 players of colour - celebrated as "representing modern, multicultural England".

About 13% of the UK population are from ethnic minority backgrounds.

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just read that article. The bits below stood out. I must be missing something as it seems like the representation so far is not very far off of that of the general population. In any case, the men’s Premier League has only around 30% or so of its players who come from England so it’s hardly going to be representative of the population, it gathers the best players from all around the world.

There are only three non-white members of England's 23-woman squad for this month's Euros and the PFA believes that only 29 out of 300 footballers playing in the WSL are from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds - approximately 10%.

That is in contrast to the men's Premier League where it is estimated that just under 45% of players are non-white. In the England men's 2018 World Cup squad, there were 13 players of colour - celebrated as "representing modern, multicultural England".

About 13% of the UK population are from ethnic minority backgrounds.

The most disingenuous part of that article is that 3/23 is 13%  meaning the national team pretty much exactly match the UKs ethnic makeup.

Edited by farawaysaint

3 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

The men’s team must make your head spin then?

edir - ok someone already make that point

Edited by whelk

Just now, whelk said:

The men’s team must make your head spin then?

See, it’s weird comments like this I don’t get.

You seem to be of the opinion I am against representation in sport, far from it. I support racial equality at a grass roots level I think every single player should have a fair chance. I have no problem with people taking a knee or advocating a cause. I think it is absolutely ridiculous when people say a specific group is underrepresented when they are patently not however. 

Racial quotas have no place in sport, the entire idea is nuts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

See, it’s weird comments like this I don’t get.

You seem to be of the opinion I am against representation in sport, far from it. I support racial equality at a grass roots level I think every single player should have a fair chance. I have no problem with people taking a knee or advocating a cause. I think it is absolutely ridiculous when people say a specific group is underrepresented when they are patently not however. 

Racial quotas have no place in sport, the entire idea is nuts.

This may appear a sweeping generalisation but black people are more athletic and over represented as an average in athletics, men’s football … No one is talking about quotas just an observation that strange not to have more females excelling. 

16 minutes ago, whelk said:

This may appear a sweeping generalisation but black people are more athletic and over represented as an average in athletics…

Are they?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/09/team-gb-still-too-white-suburban-sport-england-official

Again, the headline says that black people are under represented, then says that 14% are non-white.

Edited by The Kraken

Just now, Turkish said:

It’s all very tiresome isn’t it

It’s just lazy.

I would very much hope that pretty much everyone would welcome maximum inclusion for all for sports, no matter your colour of skin, so much so that I shouldn’t need to say that. But it’s a natural thing that there are going to be some sports that are skewed one way or the other.  Take 100m and 200m running. Due to natural body physiology, black athletes are much more likely to be better at elite leve than their white compatriots. So relay squads are going to be dominated by black people. Then take swimming. Again, due to physiology, white people are much more likely to succeed at elite level than black people. Being outwardly inclusive in either case isn’t going change the laws of nature. Give everyone an equal chance, which absolutely should be encouraged, and the natural levels will rise to the top.

Outside of that, you’ve got other ‘athletic’ sports mentioned in the article such as sailing and rowing, which are populated by mainly white people. Why? Well, it’s a very complex answer, but at least some of it comes down to where you are located and having access to those sports. If you’re born in Croydon and are white or black, chances are you’re not going to be a sailor. Those sports somewhat represent their local dynamics, and coastal towns and cities are, basically, quite white. Maybe that will change naturally over the next ten to twenty years, as ethnicity breakdowns in all cities have changed, who knows?

Theres some real battles to fight with racism, and while there’s still a way to go, as a country I reckon we are doing ok so far. Some of this seems to me like an exaggeration, and I think misleading headlines with percentages and what not that don’t equate to actual facts don’t help the argument.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Kraken said:

It’s just lazy.

I would very much hope that pretty much everyone would welcome maximum inclusion for all for sports, no matter your colour of skin, so much so that I shouldn’t need to say that. But it’s a natural thing that there are going to be some sports that are skewed one way or the other.  Take 100m and 200m running. Due to natural body physiology, black athletes are much more likely to be better at elite leve than their white compatriots. So relay squads are going to be dominated by black people. Then take swimming. Again, due to physiology, white people are much more likely to succeed at elite level than black people. Being outwardly inclusive in either case isn’t going change the laws of nature. Give everyone an equal chance, which absolutely should be encouraged, and the natural levels will rise to the top.

Outside of that, you’ve got other ‘athletic’ sports mentioned in the article such as sailing and rowing, which are populated by mainly white people. Why? Well, it’s a very complex answer, but at least some of it comes down to where you are located and having access to those sports. If you’re born in Croydon and are white or black, chances are you’re not going to be a sailor. Those sports somewhat represent their local dynamics, and coastal towns and cities are, basically, quite white. Maybe that will change naturally over the next ten to twenty years, as ethnicity breakdowns in all cities have changed, who knows?

Theres some real battles to fight with racism, and while there’s still a way to go, as a country I reckon we are doing ok so far. Some of this seems to me like an exaggeration, and I think misleading headlines with percentages and what not that don’t equate to actual facts don’t help the argument.

The thing is you know it wouldn't take them long to latch onto the "Oh look there aren't any black women playing" and everyone falling over themselves to point it out. Like you say simply physiology and geography says that some black athletes will excel at some things and white athletes at others. I dont see too many people promoting diversity in Darts of Snooker where white people excel 🙂 

Don't worry the issue of diversity in women's soccer is even more apparent in the US

https://www.goal.com/en/news/it-makes-absolutely-no-sense-why-is-the-us-womens-world-cup/1f8ptxyibchlh1pm46rqojzwod

The problem being mostly seen around the "pay to play" issue basically if you want your kid to play soccer you have to join a club, which charges fees to cover its costs. Therefore only the middle class can afford the time and money (to drive to some edge of town soccer complex) for their kids to participate. The next bit is normally left off the discussion because no one in America thinks it unusual in that to access professional sports in the US you go via university, so you are probably familiar with this from American football and basketball but is also there for other sports you might not realize like golf, most of those American golfers will have played for a university team, athletics too. Now this is where football comes in to be an elite women player you have to go through university, for mens american football and basketball they find a way for those less gifted academically to get in and will have extensive teaching support to maintain eligibility, but for other sports and especially women's sport you will need to figure it out for yourself. So only those whose parents drive them all over and can academically achieve at college get a shot. When in reality what you need to get good is a ball, some friends and some flat land and then get some professional training as they get older. You do not see a lot of football played outside organized structures. The professional teams are recruiting from 21-22 year old college graduates not 16-18 year old local levels. This is clearly going to skew the types of people you pick up.

Edited by Mystic Force
  • Like 1

considering there is a big European quarter final tonight not been a mention of it on here whatsoever. Lots of people were telling us how much interest there is in the game but not much excitment on here it seems 🤷‍♀️

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

considering there is a big European quarter final tonight not been a mention of it on here whatsoever. Lots of people were telling us how much interest there is in the game but not much excitment on here it seems 🤷‍♀️

It is much like taking the knee, or changing your facebook profile pic to a particular flag....... Just to advertise you 'care'

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Kier Starmer mentioned it in PMQ's today if that counts, which it shouldn't.

Edited by Manuel

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is much like taking the knee, or changing your facebook profile pic to a particular flag....... Just to advertise you 'care'

Or being a snarky little cunt who fails to understand joy