The Merits of Women’s Football

Sheaf Saint

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What Q was he asking the PM when he mentioned it?

IIRC he was echoing the PM's gratitude towards the fire fighters hard work today and somehow managed to shoehorn this evening's game into it in a "other people we should be celebrating" sort of way.  

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

considering there is a big European quarter final tonight not been a mention of it on here whatsoever. Lots of people were telling us how much interest there is in the game but not much excitment on here it seems 🤷‍♀️

We're all finishing off our face paining. No time for posting. 🙂

C'mon England!

Football is over hyped in general,  not just the women's game.    Yes the goal wasnt the "the best you will ever see"  but i notice its always the same people on here pointing shit like this out in  their usual smarmy manner 😂

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Isn't it obvious? The normal (old?) Soccer Saturday crap of Merson and co screaming GOAL, THERE'S BEEN A GOAL JEFF, GOAL, LOOK AT ME, GOAL, ARHHHHHHH, GOAL, is tiresome.  I've no idea who this lady is, but the calmness in that clip was so much nicer than the normal shouting tripe. 

I wonder if Soccer Saturday would have been as successful, if they had a panel of people, like her, who seemingly didn’t even know a goal had gone in. 

34 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's also odd that every single article / news piece refers to the "lionesses", whilst half of the branding at the tournament is trying to move away from gender specifics. #not women's football 

I dont get why Ian Wright was on his soap box after the game saying if after this girls arent allowed to play football etc with everyone slapping him on the back saying how right he is, is anyone stopping them now? 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I dont get why Ian Wright was on his soap box after the game saying if after this girls arent allowed to play football etc with everyone slapping him on the back saying how right he is, is anyone stopping them now? 

Is comical. I get there are loads of dinosaur attitudes to overcome but it is massively on the rise and don’t think anyone other than complete twat would be against girls playing.  What needs to stop is if you say that back heel wasn’t such a great goal you are harbouring misogynistic views. Patronising how people feel need to be so positive about every aspect. England doing well is fantastic but some seem to be more excited about championing the inequality rather than enjoying the games 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, whelk said:

Is comical. I get there are loads of dinosaur attitudes to overcome but it is massively on the rise and don’t think anyone other than complete twat would be against girls playing.  What needs to stop is if you say that back heel wasn’t such a great goal you are harbouring misogynistic views. Patronising how people feel need to be so positive about every aspect. England doing well is fantastic but some seem to be more excited about championing the inequality rather than enjoying the games 

Spot on. But its absolutely typical of society at the moment. Patronising over enthusiasm over absolutely everything, it's pathetic. It's great they're doing well and i'm looking forward to sunday and really hope they win, but jesus wept, please cut all this nonsense out, it's nauesiating but no surprise certain people on here are lapping it all up and playing the misogyny card 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, whelk said:

As you know the resident troll only said it wasn’t a good goal to provoke a reaction so they can call out that reaction as playing the  M card before going off on another tangent etc ad nauseam . 

3 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

As you know the resident troll only said it wasn’t a good goal to provoke a reaction so they can call out that reaction as playing the  M card before going off on another tangent etc ad nauseam . 

DO you think it was "the greatest goal you'll ever see" Yes or no.

1 hour ago, Scummer said:

Was Wright's argument not more around whether football is offered to girls in school? Most schools don't have girls football in PE, partly because the female games teachers don't have a football background.

Surely the same applies to boy when it comes to female games teachers?

8 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's also odd that every single article / news piece refers to the "lionesses", whilst half of the branding at the tournament is trying to move away from gender specifics. #not women's football 

Looks like some people dont like it!!

'Utterly pathetic' This Morning guest slaps down 'embarrassing' Lionesses sexism row | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

DO you think it was "the greatest goal you'll ever see" Yes or no.

Obviously this is another trolling attempt , no one was saying it was the greatest goal ever in the first place so it is not a Y/N answer . I MO it was an excellent goal because she was going away from goal , no obvious pass avail and she , without hesitation and no obvious intent , did the back heal in a trice . If you watch it in real time . This caught the defence out inc the goalie who had no time to react.

If it was a Saints goal etc …..

12 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Obviously this is another trolling attempt , no one was saying it was the greatest goal ever in the first place so it is not a Y/N answer . I MO it was an excellent goal because she was going away from goal , no obvious pass avail and she , without hesitation and no obvious intent , did the back heal in a trice . If you watch it in real time . This caught the defence out inc the goalie who had no time to react.

I mean in fairness Warnock on five live literally said it's "one of the best goals you will ever see". 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Watch England's Alessia Russo score stunning backheel nutmeg as Piers Morgan hails it as 'one of the best goals ever' | The Irish Sun (thesun.ie)

"One of the best goals ever"

Alessia Russo's backheel goal: What happened and how football reacted (telegraph.co.uk)

"It was a goal so audacious, so cheeky, you could not quite believe what you had seen before the joy of the moment took over"

"one of the greatest bits of skill ever seen in an England shirt"

England men could never play with such crazy composure in a major semi-final (msn.com)

"England men could never do this"

No, just me trolling of course :facepalm:

1 hour ago, influx said:

One email read out on a Radio 4 show.   Whoopee do.   Plus it was just a question put to one player

Quite. This is one of those things, where one person says something silly and the usual actors, like the Express, Mail, GB News, Piers Morgan jump on it as an illustration of how radical the 'other lot' are and as a warning that the loons are coming to change your world. Mini moral panics to stir up the base.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Watch England's Alessia Russo score stunning backheel nutmeg as Piers Morgan hails it as 'one of the best goals ever' | The Irish Sun (thesun.ie)

Alessia Russo's backheel goal: What happened and how football reacted (telegraph.co.uk)

"It was a goal so audacious, so cheeky, you could not quite believe what you had seen before the joy of the moment took over"

England men could never play with such crazy composure in a major semi-final (msn.com)

It's just hyperbole or click bait, easily ignored.

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Good to see admitting you are a troll , you can get any quote to suit your cause on the internet as you well know , media hyperbole is normal , most people blank it out . I saw what I saw and it IMO a good goal ie on target and went in with a degree of intent and skill .

Edited by East Kent Saint

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Another example though and you said no one said it and it was just me trolling. You are wrong. 

I’m not wrong , you said it then trawled the internet to get support from well known bullshitter Warnock . I don’t really care just your constant trolling throughout the woman's football thread is another prime example which turns other posters off the forum . I will probably tune out until the end of the window as a result to reset 😀

53 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I’m not wrong , you said it then trawled the internet to get support from well known bullshitter Warnock . I don’t really care just your constant trolling throughout the woman's football thread is another prime example which turns other posters off the forum . I will probably tune out until the end of the window as a result to reset 😀

No need to leave. He’s a troll. You Know it, I know it, he may even know it. But it’s just a forum, no one need get hurt by it and I for one appreciate your contribution. 

18 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

No need to leave. He’s a troll. You Know it, I know it, he may even know it. But it’s just a forum, no one need get hurt by it and I for one appreciate your contribution. 

He is making points and has his style This place seems to be getting more sensitive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Don’t go off in a huff because you were wrong, we’ve all been wrong mate. It’ll be forgotten this time next week

3 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

It wasn’t me that quoted Warnock, Saint Clark used him. Wrong again chap. 

PS it was Stephen Warnock the former Liverpool player not Neil Warnock. Not got much right today have you 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62313244

Edited by Turkish