The Merits of Women’s Football

Sheaf Saint

41 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Darren Lewis claimed that goal is the “sickest” he has ever seen any time in his life.

why do these people say such bollox?

Darren Lewis is a complete and utter plank. He talks bollox on pretty much every subject. Surprised he’s picked whitey as the scorer of his  “sickest” goal,  as he can’t last longer than a minute without bringing race into a conversation. 

41 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Darren Lewis is a complete and utter plank. He talks bollox on pretty much every subject. Surprised he’s picked whitey as the scorer of his  “sickest” goal,  as he can’t last longer than a minute without bringing race into a conversation. 

Very true

16 minutes ago, whelk said:

Surprised haven’t seen a list of the England squad in shaggable order. Daly looks pretty fit

There are quite a few, have any of them come out as straight yet? It’d be a big step forward for ladies football that we know they aren’t all lessas

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The other thing I’d like to research is the correlation between liking chick football and using the word “Footy”. Pretty high, I’d guess. 

Generally people that bang on about womens football and say footy are cocks so very high chance there is a correlation 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The other thing I’d like to research is the correlation between liking chick football and using the word “Footy”. Pretty high, I’d guess. 

I'd be interested in the correlation between saying 'chick football' and being a complete tool, also pretty high, I'd guess.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

I'd be interested in the correlation between saying 'chick football' and being a complete tool, also pretty high, I'd guess.

How many vegan, lgbt, womens football fans does it take to change a light bulb?

it’ll never get changed they’re all to busy telling you how great it all is

Edited by Turkish

Some random merits from this tournament...

- Tackling. Challenges can be strong, but fair. The ref is not going to give every player falling down under a tackle a free kick. Remember that Jack Stephens challenge on Fernandes that led to our goal?  Remember the mewling about it? Wouldn't happen here.

- Fake Injuries. There's a bit of faking to gain an advantage, but it's not on the same planet. Generally, if the player is down, it's because they're hurt. There are instances of players still playing for fouls, but they're taking a chance when they do. And if they feel hard done by...

- Dissent. Basically none of it. Saw a little bit of it creeping into the latter stages, but generally it's not on. Even that little bit only goes so far, before the yellow card comes out. No endless mewling. No surrounding the ref at every.single.decision. No constant hold up to usher players away after decisions. You could see the players wanting to complain, but thinking better of it.

- Throw ins. I didn't see too many delays as a team waited to take a throw in, only to hand it to their team mate. Again, a little more in later stages.

- Ball in Play. All of the above leads to the ball remaining in play longer and with fewer stoppages. I feel lke I've watched a full game of football between two competitive teams. The I wonder why I don't feel that way when watching other matches...

In answer to the topic header

- health (physical and mental)

- equality

- more football to enjoy

- community

Personally:-

- The big stadium matches have looked great. But I also really like the atmosphere in the smaller grounds with stands often that bit closer to the pitch.

- The difference in physicality presents tactical differences, which I'm really enjoying watching. Not to mention that there are very modern tactics being employed with players who are only getting better year on year, and that's been really interesting to watch too.

- Linked to the random points above, but I enjoy the competiveness. Less faking injury, no dissent, strong challenges, more ball in play lends itself to more action.

- Despite some seemingly one sided scorelines, in nearly every match at this tournament, both sides had chances to shape the game at various stages. That's possibly something that should be enjoyed now, before some countries just get too far ahead.

- Probably like a lot of folk, the growth in football for women means I have relatives getting involved, and that's pretty easy to connect with them over.

8 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Some random merits from this tournament...

- Tackling. Challenges can be strong, but fair. The ref is not going to give every player falling down under a tackle a free kick. Remember that Jack Stephens challenge on Fernandes that led to our goal?  Remember the mewling about it? Wouldn't happen here.

- Fake Injuries. There's a bit of faking to gain an advantage, but it's not on the same planet. Generally, if the player is down, it's because they're hurt. There are instances of players still playing for fouls, but they're taking a chance when they do. And if they feel hard done by...

- Dissent. Basically none of it. Saw a little bit of it creeping into the latter stages, but generally it's not on. Even that little bit only goes so far, before the yellow card comes out. No endless mewling. No surrounding the ref at every.single.decision. No constant hold up to usher players away after decisions. You could see the players wanting to complain, but thinking better of it.

- Throw ins. I didn't see too many delays as a team waited to take a throw in, only to hand it to their team mate. Again, a little more in later stages.

- Ball in Play. All of the above leads to the ball remaining in play longer and with fewer stoppages. I feel lke I've watched a full game of football between two competitive teams. The I wonder why I don't feel that way when watching other matches...

In answer to the topic header

- health (physical and mental)

- equality

- more football to enjoy

- community

Personally:-

- The big stadium matches have looked great. But I also really like the atmosphere in the smaller grounds with stands often that bit closer to the pitch.

- The difference in physicality presents tactical differences, which I'm really enjoying watching. Not to mention that there are very modern tactics being employed with players who are only getting better year on year, and that's been really interesting to watch too.

- Linked to the random points above, but I enjoy the competiveness. Less faking injury, no dissent, strong challenges, more ball in play lends itself to more action.

- Despite some seemingly one sided scorelines, in nearly every match at this tournament, both sides had chances to shape the game at various stages. That's possibly something that should be enjoyed now, before some countries just get too far ahead.

- Probably like a lot of folk, the growth in football for women means I have relatives getting involved, and that's pretty easy to connect with them over.

This plus no fan segregation in the stadium and no fan problems (as far as I've heard)

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Maybe rainbow Saints could start following them as some of the said they are too scared to go to the mens game. With their 40+ members they're growing as fast as the womens game anyway.

This could be a unintended consequence, men's football stays for the lads who like a booze and rowdy atmosphere, women's football provides an outlet for those like me who prefer a more friendly pop concert type atmosphere

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11067411/DOMINIC-KING-atmosphere-Englands-Euro-2022-final-win-Germany-restored-faith.html

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

This could be a unintended consequence, men's football stays for the lads who like a booze and rowdy atmosphere, women's football provides an outlet for those like me who prefer a more friendly pop concert type atmosphere

A friendly pop concert type atmosphere, dear god. I couldn’t think of anything worse.

I can just picture the Chapel waving their lights about  as we take a 2-0 lead into injury time. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I enjoyed the tournement much more than i thought i would and chuffed to win it but the one thing that has ruined it is the amount of people falling over each other to convince us all and probably themselves, that it's so amazing using it as a chance to be self righteous rather than just going with it and enjoying it. 

I'm really surprised such trifling periphery has the power to ruin an experience for you.  If you rely on external factors to cheer you up then you need to reassess the priorities in your life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Left Back said:

I'm really surprised such trifling periphery has the power to ruin an experience for you.  If you rely on external factors to cheer you up then you need to reassess the priorities in your life.

It didn't ruin it for me, as i said i enjoyed it far more than i thought and didn't need it to cheer me up, unlike some people. 

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

Because I know two former high level female footballers, ones played for red star saints in the late 70s early 80s the other played for Leeds in 90s, neither suffered indignity. Sometimes real life experience is far more enlightening than what people want you to believe 

Ah, ok, can't argue with that kind of irrefutable evidence. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

A friendly pop concert type atmosphere, dear god. I couldn’t think of anything worse.

I can just picture the Chapel waving their lights about  as we take a 2-0 lead into injury time. 

Don't forget the Mexican wave as well 

29 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Classic!

All the hype and banging on about equality is a bit OTT, it's fantastic if it's annoying bellends like you though.

Talking of classic, look who's turned up 🤣

"bellend" 🤣

So yet again you call me a bellend for saying something you agree with yourself "All the hype and banging on about equality is a bit OTT"

bit like calling me a bellend last night for saying islamaphobia is racism then in the next post saying it is a form of racism. 

maybe if you started to think before you type you wouldn't constantly come across as so incredibly stupid :lol:🤷‍♀️:facepalm:

Edited by Turkish

41 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Ah, ok, can't argue with that kind of irrefutable evidence. 

Evidence you dont want to believe, you'd rather believe this poor girls had to hide away from those nasty teachers and coaches that would cain them if they got caught playing football. I'd prefer to listen to real life experiences, first hand told by those that were there than media driven stuff with no actual direct quotes or evidence. 

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Talking of classic, look who's turned up 🤣

"bellend" 🤣

So yet again you call me a bellend for saying something you agree with yourself "All the hype and banging on about equality is a bit OTT"

bit like calling me a bellend last night for saying islamaphobia is racism then in the next post saying it is a form of racism. 

maybe if you started to think before you type you wouldn't constantly come across as so incredibly stupid :lol:🤷‍♀️:facepalm:

It's OTT but there is no reason why that should ruin it for anyone, unless you have issues.

Just now, aintforever said:

It's OTT but there is no reason why that should ruin it for anyone, unless you have issues.

So for the second time in under 24 hours you called me a bellend about something you actually agree with me on :facepalm::lol:

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So for the second time in under 24 hours you called me a bellend about something you actually agree with me on :facepalm::lol:

We can all see the hype is a bit OTT, you are a bellend because you said it ruined it for you.

Do I have to explain everything to you?

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Evidence you dont want to believe, you'd rather believe this poor girls had to hide away from those nasty teachers and coaches that would cain them if they got caught playing football. I'd prefer to listen to real life experiences, first hand told by those that were there than media driven stuff with no actual direct quotes or evidence. 

Nobody mentioned anything about girls having to  hide from teachers and coaches that would 'cain' (what's that?) them for playing football. Your original argument is like saying that you have a couple of black friends who have never been racially abused so therefore racism doesn't exist..

11 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Nobody mentioned anything about girls having to  hide from teachers and coaches that would 'cain' (what's that?) them for playing football. Your original argument is like saying that you have a couple of black friends who have never been racially abused so therefore racism doesn't exist..

Much like you reading a few paper reports about girls "losing their dignity" because they wanted to play football and make out there is a nationwide problem with it then.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Much like you reading a few paper reports about girls "losing their dignity" because they wanted to play football and make out there is a nationwide problem with it then.

Your pathological need to be right all the time is very reminiscent of a certain Mr. Trump. Let's simplify things. Earlier in this thread someone posted a video of a Smith & Jones sketch from the late 80s/early 90s showing a couple of guys watching a women's football match and moaning about it until the final whistle when the women swapped shirts and flashed their tits, to which they stood up and cheered and applauded. Yes, at the time I watched it and laughed along but luckily I've since grown up.This was the attitude to women's football at the time. Are you going to tell me that showed the game in a dignified light?

Just now, cloggy saint said:

Your pathological need to be right all the time is very reminiscent of a certain Mr. Trump. Let's simplify things. Earlier in this thread someone posted a video of a Smith & Jones sketch from the late 80s/early 90s showing a couple of guys watching a women's football match and moaning about it until the final whistle when the women swapped shirts and flashed their tits, to which they stood up and cheered and applauded. Yes, at the time I watched it and laughed along but luckily I've since grown up.This was the attitude to women's football at the time. Are you going to tell me that showed the game in a dignified light?

So who specifically lost their dignity? Or are you just making that up because of a sketch on a midly amusing comedy show from 35 years ago. Around the same time there were comedy sketches about moody teenagers, how do we know that child wasn't autistic or have ADHD or be trapped in the wrong gender? How disgraceful. What about the sketch about the man who could only say things sarcastically which led to him getting beaten up, how vile that they should mock his voice. If you're going to go down that road then plenty of other bandwagons for you to jump on.

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Maybe vegans, women, those who sit down to pee and sadoldgit, can be the hardcore support for Southampton ladies, and everyone else can follow the men?

Thanks for thinking of me Batman. I am surprised that you don’t want to go further and ban women’s football (again).After all, they should be home looking after the kids and leaving things like “proper” football to the men shouldn’t they? Is it not possible to follow both teams? Is it not possible to follow the national ladies team but not the club team? I am just curious as to why you feel the need to make a division between the two and also feel the need to be so specifically definitive as to which group should support the men and which should support the women.

Does your wife know you write this crap?

Just now, cloggy saint said:

Come on sunshine, surely a fearsome intellect such as yours can figure this out?

No tell me, because the real life people i've spoke to about it never so much as suggested they felt that way. Instead they speak about how much they enjoyed it. SO you'll have to enlighten us.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

No tell me, because the real life people i've spoke to about it never so much as suggested they felt that way. Instead they speak about how much they enjoyed it. SO you'll have to enlighten us.

I attempted enlightenment 2 posts ago but it went over your head so not much point in continuing. How about we just say that you're right as I know that's the most important thing here. Enjoy the rest of your day.

3 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I attempted enlightenment 2 posts ago but it went over your head so not much point in continuing. How about we just say that you're right as I know that's the most important thing here. Enjoy the rest of your day.

So you dont know then, fair enough.

Except i said it didn't but never mind. 

You clearly did 4 hours ago on the womens football thread in the saints area. Given your huge volume of posts, the heat and your incoherence I’ll forgive you for forgetting. 

Edited by The Left Back

So you dont know then, fair enough.

All I know for sure is there is absolutely no point in engaging in any kind of debate with you as you are always right and you will always have the last word. If it's that important to you (and it clearly is) then I'm happy to concede. 

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

And yet, your avatar is a picture of.....

3 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

A boob silhouetted against the moon. Not sure what your point is?

It's a terrible attitude towards women, sexualising them, very much like the clip you mentioned in the post I quoted in which you stated you've grown up now.  Odd that a grown up would have a picture of a boob sihouetted against the moon, especially one who is so insistent on women's dignity.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

It's fairly artistic and not exploitative in any way. Tell me, do you really find it odd or are you just feeling a bit argumentative?

Can't be arguing against a film with women's tits in when your avatar pic is of a woman's tit. You ain't got the moral high ground in this one. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

It's fairly artistic and not exploitative in any way. Tell me, do you really find it odd or are you just feeling a bit argumentative?

All I know is that I have cracked one out to your avatar about three times this month already. In fact I'm doing it right n

• Haha 2