January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

11 hours ago, Saint_Ash said:

Decent window, needed that striker with an excellent record and we got him, albeit in a weaker league. If Jones picks our strongest players in their strongest position we'll climb out of relegation. Let's see how he does from now on. I think we'll scrape 17th on about 37 points. 

Bite your hand off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

We'll keep Janny B, but they can certainly have Lyanco and I'd help cover any loan fee.

Even when Bednarek was culpable for both Newcastle’s goals last night, his usual half hearted attempt at blocking a cross and then a shot for each goal. And the keeper gets the blame for not stopping point blank shots instead 🤪

• Like 1

14 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

I remember chuckling at Fulham spending £100m a few years ago and going straight back down. If we go down after spending that much it'll be... well, what's the word? Help anyone?

We could make almost all of that back by selling JWP, Salisu, KWP and Lavia if the worst happens. We are actually quite well positioned in that regard with a few players able to command decent fees, but obviously still a disaster if it happens as it will mean a lot of rebuilding and those good players no longer here. So ideally we don't want that, but I don't actually think it'll be as financially disastrous as it would have been under Gao.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, polegategavin said:

Even when Bednarek was culpable for both Newcastle’s goals last night, his usual half hearted attempt at blocking a cross and then a shot for each goal. And the keeper gets the blame for not stopping point blank shots instead 🤪

Bednarek was not the cause of either goal last night. That’s utter rubbish! You’re looking for fault in him with that call. There were a few who could’ve gone with him for the first goal, most notably Adam Armstrong. Alcaraz has to shoulder the blame for the second, as he completely gave up running with him, then looked surprised when he was slotted in and scored. 

• Like 13

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

We could make almost all of that back by selling JWP, Salisu, KWP and Lavia if the worst happens. We are actually quite well positioned in that regard with a few players able to command decent fees, but obviously still a disaster if it happens as it will mean a lot of rebuilding and those good players no longer here. So ideally we don't want that, but I don't actually think it'll be as financially disastrous as it would have been under Gao.

You’d think Burnley may be tempted to spend £15m+ on Tella as well, should they go up. We spent the same on Armstrong on Adams. Unfortunately, I can’t see another Forest throwing down £42m, as they did for Gibbs-White last summer.

8 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Bednarek was not the cause of either goal last night. That’s utter rubbish! You’re looking for fault in him with that call. There were a few who could’ve gone with him for the first goal, most notably Adam Armstrong. Alcaraz has to shoulder the blame for the second, as he completely gave up running with him, then looked surprised when he was slotted in and scored. 

Absolutely. The first goal was mostly on Armstrong for letting the man go, and Bazunu should have done better. Nothing to do with Bednarek. I agree with you on the second. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, egg said:

Absolutely. The first goal was mostly on Armstrong for letting the man go, and Bazunu should have done better. Nothing to do with Bednarek. I agree with you on the second. 

Bednarek turned his back on the player as he shot (arguably he was also in Bazunu's LoS).

I can remember being shouted at from about the age of 8 not to turn my back on players and I'm pretty sure everyone else was too....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Bednarek turned his back on the player as he shot (arguably he was also in Bazunu's LoS).

I can remember being shouted at from about the age of 8 not to turn my back on players and I'm pretty sure everyone else was too....

That goal (both in fact) came from the midfielder not being tracked. You're not persuading me that Bednarek caused that goal, or the second. He may be a twat, but he was our best defender by a mile on Tuesday. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, egg said:

That goal (both in fact) came from the midfielder not being tracked. You're not persuading me that Bednarek caused that goal, or the second. He may be a twat, but he was our best defender by a mile on Tuesday. 

Absolutely agree. People must really hate Bednarek so much to place that first goal on him... 

Diallo, Alcaraz and JWP just jog their way back to the box after losing possession

Armstrong follows Longstaff to the edge of the box and then just gives up and watches

And KWP should force Trippier down the line

All of that lot completely culpable in some way, but sure, it's Bednarek's fault for not making the block from an opponent who has 10 yards of space in every direction inside our box. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, gecko said:

Absolutely agree. People must really hate Bednarek so much to place that first goal on him... 

Diallo, Alcaraz and JWP just jog their way back to the box after losing possession

Armstrong follows Longstaff to the edge of the box and then just gives up and watches

All of that lot completely culpable in some way, but sure, it's Bednarek's fault for not making the block from an opponent who has 10 yards of space in every direction inside our box. 

Bingo 👏

1 hour ago, egg said:

Their first goal was a combination of catastrophic errors and Bednarek is by no means exonerated. As per normal with him he marked space rather than players and found himself far too close to his own six yard box making it possible he'd unsight Bazunu. He should have held a position further from goal and that would have given him more chance to rush out and charge the shot down. In typical Bednarek fashion he was in nomansland.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, saintant said:

Their first goal was a combination of catastrophic errors and Bednarek is by no means exonerated. As per normal with him he marked space rather than players and found himself far too close to his own six yard box making it possible he'd unsight Bazunu. He should have held a position further from goal and that would have given him more chance to rush out and charge the shot down. In typical Bednarek fashion he was in nomansland.

Bizarre analysis.

Their first goal came from a midfielder runner being lost before he arrived to score - he wasn't Bednarek's man to mark and was in no position to prevent that. As for Bazunu, it's his job to position himself - he was all at sea for that goal, and should have saved it. 

I'll leave it here mate as people are just looking to pop at Bednarek for non reasons. Like it or not, he probably played his way into the team on Tuesday. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Bizarre analysis.

Their first goal came from a midfielder runner being lost before he arrived to score - he wasn't Bednarek's man to mark and was in no position to prevent that. As for Bazunu, it's his job to position himself - he was all at sea for that goal, and should have saved it. 

I'll leave it here mate as people are just looking to pop at Bednarek for non reasons. Like it or not, he probably played his way into the team on Tuesday. 

Im not sure that Bazanu should have saved it to be fair

• Like 1

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Sounds like we've spent our summer budget in this window, in the hope we stay up. 

Would expect players to be sold in the summer, whether we stay up or not.

23 minutes ago, egg said:

Bizarre analysis.

You’re miles off. Bednarek is not supposed to ‘mark’ a player who runs into the box. He’s supposed to confront him and put in a challenge. Watch the goal again and you can see him looking around like a lost child and he doesn’t even try to get to the ball. He turns himself sideways on and looks away completely almost as if he’s terrified of getting hit by the ball.

Bazunu never had a chance. Longstaff was closer than the penalty spot and you wouldn’t normally expect a goalkeeper to save those.

30 minutes ago, egg said:

Bizarre analysis.

To be honest, would rather have Bednarek in the team over Lyanco. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

His crossing was crap last night, didn't beat the first man and the final one was shanked up to the moon.

I usually agree with most things you say but I think a trip to Specsavers might be needed on this one. The last attempted cross was a shank though.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You’re miles off. Bednarek is not supposed to ‘mark’ a player who runs into the box. He’s supposed to confront him and put in a challenge. Watch the goal again and you can see him looking around like a lost child and he doesn’t even try to get to the ball. He turns himself sideways on and looks away completely almost as if he’s terrified of getting hit by the ball.

Bazunu never had a chance. Longstaff was closer than the penalty spot and you wouldn’t normally expect a goalkeeper to save those.

You still believe AA etc should not have tracked the runner?

• Like 1

Just now, OldNick said:

You still believe AA etc should not have tracked the runner?

I have never said that. What I have said is that runners are not tracked right back into your own penalty box and never shepherded right back to your own goalkeeper. One of the central back defenders should step up and block the attacker.

How far back should AA have run with Longstaff, do you think?

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Call me old fashioned but can't we have both? i.e. players tracking runners and a central defender who doesn't turn his back on shots...?

That would be what a well organised team would do. The team should keep its shape at all times and not be pulled about by surging runs towards its own goal. It should be a layered defence and you should never have to rely on one of your front men to run all the way back to your own goalkeeper.

The defender of last resort should make his challenge by the edge of the penalty area at the latest. Once an attacker has had a free run all the way right up to within ten yards of the goal then they will most probably score.

23 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I have never said that. What I have said is that runners are not tracked right back into your own penalty box and never shepherded right back to your own goalkeeper. One of the central back defenders should step up and block the attacker.

How far back should AA have run with Longstaff, do you think?

All the way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I disagree. I've watched it again. Bednarek has matey on the ball in front of him, and the fella to his right waiting for the pass - he should have been Lyanco's man.  Bednarek was left  between two men, one of whom Armstrong let go. The goal was a car crash all round, but Bednarek is the wrong scapegoat imo. Looking at the second again though, Bednarek should have been tighter to the fella who played the ball to Longstaff, but Bree got done too easily and Salisu was in no mans land. 

However you look at it, we didn't help ourselves. and both goals could have been avoided. 

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That would be a complete mess. Maybe the Dutch team of ‘total football’ could have tried it.

Then you would have AA knackered after running the length of the pitch whilst his central defenders had been spectators.

So lets try and work this through. The central defenders were marking (lol) their forwards who were waiting for the cut back, you feel they should abandon the forward, to run to a midfielder running into the box. Thus leaving said forwards space to have a tap in!!!!. I think you need to rethink this Whitey

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That would be a complete mess. Maybe the Dutch team of ‘total football’ could have tried it.

Then you would have AA knackered after running the length of the pitch whilst his central defenders had been spectators.

If there was one of our other players for AA to hand him off to, I'd be agreeing with you. AA does need to make himself available for an out-ball/counter-attack should the Newcastle move break down. 

But that's not what happened; the problem is that he doesn't even look, drops off Longstaff in acres of space with none of our lot anywhere near him. AA delivered Longstaff into the box and then watched the rest happen in slo-mo

10 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Simply because I can't be asked to check, how many players have Forest signed and how much money have they spent in the two windows??

29, including free agents and loans, around 175 million pounds

Edited by James G
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

I disagree. I've watched it again. Bednarek has matey on the ball in front of him, and the fella to his right waiting for the pass - he should have been Lyanco's man.  Bednarek was left  between two men, one of whom Armstrong let go. The goal was a car crash all round, but Bednarek is the wrong scapegoat imo. Looking at the second again though, Bednarek should have been tighter to the fella who played the ball to Longstaff, but Bree got done too easily and Salisu was in no mans land. 

However you look at it, we didn't help ourselves. and both goals could have been avoided. 

That's our main problem.  When it comes to finding someone to blame for the soft goals we let in, we have an embarrasment of riches 😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's our main problem.  When it comes to finding someone to blame for the soft goals we let in, we have an embarrasment of riches 😐

Ha!! Again I can't argue with that! 

2 hours ago, le_tiss said:

Hearing that he turned done Everton

Their forum is a right hoot at the moment, worse than this place after a defeat!

If you look back at their transfer wishes before the window opened, they were suggesting Mydruk, Gallagher, Kudus at Ajax.

Deluded. I guess the dugouts weren't the pull they thought they were.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Their forum is a right hoot at the moment, worse than this place after a defeat!

If you look back at their transfer wishes before the window opened, they were suggesting Mydruk, Gallagher, Kudus at Ajax.

For all that, I actually think they'll improve a lot now they've got a proper manager

13 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

For all that, I actually think they'll improve a lot now they've got a proper manager

I think they'll be harder to beat, they've got the foundations there with those sorts of players (Onanna/Guye/Tarkowski/Coady etc). But where are the goals?

DCL is injured again apparently, then beyond him you've got Maupay, Gray and Ellis Simms. Townsend did his ACL last year.

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Every season I visit their forum, they are invariably saying it's the end of their club, they'll never come back from the certain upcoming relegation, the sky is falling in and not even their dugouts will protect them.

Perhaps as a fanbase they broadly have higher minimum expectations. No doubt they expected a heck of a lot more return for the huge sums they've spent. They were no doubt dreaming of a Newcastlesque rise, only to watch the car crash unfold. Add to that the vocal minority on forums, a cup of tea, and you have a fun 15mins reading about the apparent end of the universe.

They are now failing to sign free agents, and diddling their accounts to massively overclaim the impact of covid, just to stay within the rules.

I'd take any 3 to be below us this season. So, not a shred of sympathy. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Every season I visit their forum, they are invariably saying it's the end of their club, they'll never come back from the certain upcoming relegation, the sky is falling in and not even their dugouts will protect them.

Sounds like this place tbf (minus the dugouts bit)

14 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I’ve just listened to this, in summary:

Sulemana - similar style to Mbappe, needs patience and won’t save our season alone but with Onuachu could be the combination to help us stay up.

Salisu - first name of the Ghana teamsheet. They see him as a VVD type player. Expect him to leave us this summer. 

13 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I’ve just listened to this, in summary:

Sulemana - similar style to Mbappe, needs patience and won’t save our season alone but with Onuachu could be the combination to help us stay up.

Salisu - first name of the Ghana teamsheet. They see him as a VVD type player. Expect him to leave us this summer. 

most deluded fanboys other than irish fans of bazunu

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, gecko said:

Whilst we can all agree that players should have tracked back and the defending was shite. I think its important to again reiterate that all of that is the blame of the manager. He put a bunch of players (some of them playing their first games together) in a strange formation, and clearly none of them had any damn clue what they were meant to to defensively. Ralph would have accepted the blame for that first half, Jones exclusively blamed the players.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Perhaps as a fanbase they broadly have higher minimum expectations. No doubt they expected a heck of a lot more return for the huge sums they've spent. They were no doubt dreaming of a Newcastlesque rise, only to watch the car crash unfold. Add to that the vocal minority on forums, a cup of tea, and you have a fun 15mins reading about the apparent end of the universe.

They are now failing to sign free agents, and diddling their accounts to massively overclaim the impact of covid, just to stay within the rules.

I'd take any 3 to be below us this season. So, not a shred of sympathy. 🙂

I know its hilarious. Can't stand them as a fanbase.

The very simple reality of a worst case for Everton is this. They get relegated, run into the financial reckoning they are very clearly due, go into administration, and someone buys them out because they will then be a very large club with a high growth ceiling available at a great price... 🤷‍♂️. And then they get to do what we did and enjoy a few years on their way back to the top - all of which will come with a very new shiny stadium in their case.

Actually the worst case is they get stuck with Moshiri and Kenwright wasting millions chasing after the playoffs year after year - like a championship portsmouth 😍

Edited by Saint86