January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, trousers said:

So, anyone brave enough to rate this window out of 10 or better to wait for the benefit of hindsight and slate it in a few weeks time? ;)

I think we have the quality to survive but it'll come down to whether cockwomble Jones can get out his own way to set us up right and play non Sunday league tactics...

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

He looks like someone just showed him the league table right before they took the photo. 

Or just seen the footage of the shit  our mongo fans gave pelle 1 game into his saints career. What we would do now for another pelle/Lambert/beattie. Le tissier and ekelund for the few games he managed was a beautiful partnership. Beattie and pahars and the most recent was pelle and tadic. And even tadic got some shit. He was ways class but left and proved he was held back by inferior players around him. Now we have edozie/Armstrong/elyounoussi/aribo "creating". It's so depressing we should have either won something or at least qualified for champions league in those golden years mid 2010's

So Everton didn't bring in a single player in the window. Yet they sold Gordon for £45m. No doubt Sean Dyche will have been briefed as to what he should say when asked about the lack of transfers in, but I really wonder if he was told that nobody would be coming in when he took the job. 

Time will tell of course, but as windows go, I feel it was one of the better ones for SAINTS. Not so long ago we would have had to sell JWP (or half a dozen of the others) just to bring in those two players today.

• Like 1

Also imagine the panic going on at Everton right now, didn't get anyone on deadline day, sold Gordon and most of their relegation rivals made signings. 

Further bonkers stat, Chelsea have spent more in this window than all Ligu 1, Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga clubs combined. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Well that is about a £127 million spend so far this season and around £121 million net. Can't say they haven't put their money in. 

I remember chuckling at Fulham spending £100m a few years ago and going straight back down. If we go down after spending that much it'll be... well, what's the word? Help anyone?

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

The owners have certainly spent big this month, nobody can deny that. Hopefully we can have a great 2nd half of the season and finish comfortably in mid table.

They have spent big. And what they need to do now is spend a little bit more to pay off the hopeless clown of a manager they hired and replace him with someone who has even a modicum of tactical nous and can get the new recruits playing as a cohesive team capable of getting the results we need to stay up.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

I remember chuckling at Fulham spending £100m a few years ago and going straight back down. If we go down after spending that much it'll be... well, what's the word? Help anyone?

Probably fine as we would have a strong enough squad left after selling JWP, KWP and Lavia for circa 100m. We would be competitive at least and have a chance to see us win some games on a regular basis.  

in the meantime I’m happy to watch and see if these new players will add some firepower to our goal shy team. 2 points off safety with a team that has the attributes NJ has been asking for. Let’s see him put that into action over the next few games and see how we go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

9/10 window?

Spent a lot. 16 signings in two windows, but is there enough quality in there? Not sure I feel a lot more confident now than I did four weeks ago. Perhaps the demoralising defeat last night is the cause of that.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

If we regroup and come back stronger the same way Fulham have there wont be any complaints. Also we'll have a nice change of scenery for a season, instead of playing Palace 4 times 😂

Very good window, but I wonder if those doing the recruitment feel it could've been even better. To me, it appeared we were pursuing both Vitinha and Onuachu at the same time. Yes, if Vitinha had've agreed to sign we could have dropped our interest in Onuachu, but it didnt look that way

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think the most positive thing about all this is that sports Republic have proven they are happy to spend money and do have some ambition. That bodes well for the future whatever happens. 

Yep agree with that. Only thing I would say is that it's a shame their ambition stopped when they gave Jones the job.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

If we regroup and come back stronger the same way Fulham have there wont be any complaints. Also we'll have a nice change of scenery for a season, instead of playing Palace 4 times 😂

Especially if the bulk of the new players - Alcaraz, Sulemana, Onuachu, Bree, Orsic (need to see something from him) all stay should we be relegated.   Add those to say at least one of Salisu, CC or ABK; Perraud, Edozie, Diallo, Arma, Mara, Djenepo - and you probably have the nucleus of a side who could bounce straight back.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

Spent a lot. 16 signings in two windows, but is there enough quality in there? Not sure I feel a lot more confident now than I did four weeks ago. Perhaps the demoralising defeat last night is the cause of that.

Lots of players with lots of pontential, plus an experienced players in Orsic and DCC, a big striker with a good goal scoring record. My concern is does this manager have it in him to get the best out of them. I dont think so sadly. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Lots of players with lots of pontential, plus an experienced players in Orsic and DCC, a big striker with a good goal scoring record. My concern is does this manager have it in him to get the best out of them. I dont think so sadly. 

The manager is miles from the required level to keep us up. 

we are the new fulham

23 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Yep agree with that. Only thing I would say is that it's a shame their ambition stopped when they gave Jones the job.

Having Jones as manager clearly isn't a lack of ambition, it's trying to be clever and doing things differently which is why our transfer policy largely failed in the summer despite buying some promising players. I don't have faith that Jones will work out but it isn't a lack of trying on the part of the people charged with making these decisions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Let's face it, that's what will piss us off more than anything expect. The total mismanagement of a half decent set of premier league players into a completely unavoidable relegation. It might not happen, but if it does....at least if you go down with just garbage players that the manager is getting the best out of you can say "they tried their best, it's just wasn't good enough" - as fans i think you can stomach that.

This lot being allowed to go 1 or 2 goals down due to ill judged tactics/formations, THEN changing it and seeing an improvement and not learning from it is bordering on criminal in my view.

• Like 7

Nathan took over the club with an appalling record. Clearly the players were confused and demoralised. SR promised and delivered big time. 
we’ve even had posters saying because we asked for a couple of hours to get the paperwork we are disorganised FFS. Whining because we kept the “ fans” waiting. 
if anyone listened to the interview with Rasmus and Semmens a month ago everything they said then has been fulfilled.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The manager is miles from the required level to keep us up. 

we are the new fulham

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Bazunu 

KWP DCC Salisu Perraud 

Lavia 

Sulemana Jwp Alcaraz Orisic 

Onuachu 

That could be one of our better lineups. I don't think Jones would play that though because he's hellbent on Bree, Lyanco, Diallo, Armstrong etc. Hope I'm wrong. 

Bree was pretty decent last night. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Turkish, I have put you down as one of the more reasoned judges on here, see I do get it wrong at times

• Like 1