January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

They have almost certainly put their money with their mouth is, across both windows. 

They got the ballance wrong in the summer with a load of kids, but we've focused on proven experience this window which I think will hold is in good stead. You cannot say they haven't tried to fill the obvious holes with players we needed. The ambition is almost certainly there, the execution of it has just been wrong (so far).

Still a bit nervous about DM, as our options outside of Lavia are totally inept, but that would have always been a bonus.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Bree was pretty decent last night. 

Really, thought he was absolutely awful first half, looked completely out of his depth. Was much better in the second half when he was going forward more, but still his end product was woeful (at times). Still it was his debut so needs time, and will now get that if KWP's hamstring is as bad as it looked, proves that getting another FB in was necessary.

• Like 2

Just now, VectisSaint said:

Really, thought he was absolutely awful first half, looked completely out of his depth. Was much better in the second half when he was going forward more, but still his end product was woeful (at times). Still it was his debut so needs time, and will now get that if KWP's hamstring is as bad as it looked, proves that getting another FB in was necessary.

I thought in the first half he was ok, second half I was impressed with his passing and interchanging down his flank, who I did think was absolutely abysmal was Salisa

• Like 1

Just now, VectisSaint said:

I can't judge him on that first half, as he didn't seem to know where he was meant to be playing.  He was also being supported by Lyanco which isn't going to help anyone.

Second half, in a more natural 4, he seemed at home. Good touch I thought, bit of physicality and height at full back (which we haven't had). 2nd half decent, 1st half to write off as he wasn't sure of his role. (which makes a mockery of him knowing Jones systems...)

• Like 1

This window has been good and close to very good but that aside, I don't see how its going to improve under the current tactics and team selections of our defence under this clown, last night was utterly pathetic

We must find a way of getting Lavia fully available for every fixture from now on, the difference when he plays is massive.

However I expect Jones to persist with this stupid 3 centre backs system and picking Bednarek and Lyanco to do it. 😬

Whatever league we find ourselves in come May (most likely the championship), I have no doubt that Jones and his ludicrous ideas will have all our decent players pushing for the exit door even if by some miracle we do survive.

• Like 2

Despite the fact that I have been a bit of a SR knocker, credit where credit is due for stumping up and trying to salvage our season. 

My concern is that the big mistake has already been made with the appointment of NJ. He doesn't know his lineup, he juggles with his formations, he ignores players showing form and continues to play players who aren't. 

This may change somewhat with the new additions but then we are relying on almost half the team gelling and getting use to playing in a extremely tough league immediately to have half a chance. 

I would be more optimistic if SR had shown the same ambition that they have with player purchases, in splashing the cash on a proven and experienced top flight manager

• Like 6

Decent window, needed that striker with an excellent record and we got him, albeit in a weaker league. If Jones picks our strongest players in their strongest position we'll climb out of relegation. Let's see how he does from now on. I think we'll scrape 17th on about 37 points. 

Imagine being an Everton fan right now. 

• Like 2

Just now, Saint Billy said:

Despite the fact that I have been a bit of a SR knocker, credit where credit is due for stumping up and trying to salvage our season. 

My concern is that the big mistake has already been made with the appointment of NJ. He doesn't know his lineup, he juggles with his formations, he ignores players showing form and continues to play players who aren't. 

This may change somewhat with the new additions but then we are relying on almost half the team gelling and getting use to playing in a extremely tough league immediately to have half a chance. 

I would be more optimistic if SR had shown the same ambition that they have with player purchases, in splashing the cash on a proven and experienced top flight manager

This is what really confuses me with all of this. They've shown ambition with their transfer outlays, more than we've ever spent and credit to them on that. They've shown ambition in getting the backroom people, like Wilcox and Shields before him (both highly rated across football circles). They showed ambition in the summer with Ruben Selles who has a huge coaching rep across European football.

So, I thought moving on Ralph would allow them to the opportunity to show ambition in that area as well - but it couldn't be more opposite if they tried. A totally unproven guy, acts, talks and manages like a lower league manager which is all he is. Would love him to prove me wrong and I'm not one of those calling for him to go as there's no point wasting energy on a futile effort like that, but it was an incredibly weird and confusing move from SR and at odds with everything else they've done.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Well you're a bit of a prick. 

Ive never been the one to strop off here vowing to never come back, unlike some I could mention. If I aimed that at you , you would be sending messages t admin asking for me to be infracted or whatever its called lol 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I can't judge him on that first half, as he didn't seem to know where he was meant to be playing.  He was also being supported by Lyanco which isn't going to help anyone.

Didn't know where he was meant to be playing? That is the same as saying he didn't know what he was doing, he was awful, nowhere to be seen when Newcastle had some of their (many) attacks down their left, Lyanco left completely exposed (because of Lyanco's lack of pace), passes that he made were wayward. But as i said, it was his debut so will give him the benefit of the doubt based on his much improved second half when he had less defensive duties. Overall last night our passing was abysmal, we make so many problems for ourselves by not being able to find a team mate with a simple pass. Salisu was one of the poorest. I actually think we didn't play too badly overall, but Newcastle were just overpowering in the first 20 minutes or so 

Edited by VectisSaint
  • Like 2

Now that we've got ours over the line, how about we spare a thought for Everton? Oh yeah, thought not.

What a cluster fuck for them. They had a pretty average squad as it was, made it weaker by selling Gordon so they had funds to reinvest and then didn't reinvest any of it. 

The only positive I can see for them is that they've got a lot of ex-Burnley players there and have added Dyche to manage them. He will have the defensive tools to work with and to make them hard to beat I think, but I just don't see anything in their attack.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Ive never been the one to strop off here vowing to never come back, unlike some I could mention. If I aimed that at you , you would be sending messages t admin asking for me to be infracted or whatever its called lol 

What the hell are you talking about? I've never done that in my life. I think you're getting confused. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Bazunu 

KWP DCC Salisu Perraud 

Lavia 

Sulemana Jwp Alcaraz Orisic 

Onuachu 

That could be one of our better lineups. I don't think Jones would play that though because he's hellbent on Bree, Lyanco, Diallo, Armstrong etc. Hope I'm wrong. 

Like this team alot, although I would seriously consider McCarthy (whens he back?) or Willy in nets. Bazunu's shot stopping and presence has been questionable to say the least, and his distribution which we're told is his strong point, hasnt been overly noticeable.

Any keepers on the free agency market?

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Lots of players with lots of pontential, plus an experienced players in Orsic and DCC, a big striker with a good goal scoring record. My concern is does this manager have it in him to get the best out of them. I dont think so sadly. 

Not sure about most of the signings. Hopeful, but very circumspect.  I'm far from convinced by Jones either. I've tried to stay positive, but running out of steam.

• Like 6

The owners have backed the manager and spent a huge sum of money which i'm sure they are hoping will get us out of the relegation spots. However i am sure that there has been planning for the worst case scenario as well and they feel they have now put together a strong enough squad to bounce back from the Championship, which financially with the parachute payments they believe they can live with.

I personally think we are getting relegated because we are relying far too heavily on the new additions to hit the ground running and that rarely happens. The swing in form we are looking for is monumental compared to what we have seen for the last 12 months. If we somehow avoid relegation i might actually consider there is a higher presence out there looking down on his Saints!

• Like 3

So let's see... the same man who just pulled off the best January window I can remember for Saints - and it was him working personally on these signings - is also the man who appointed a man he has got to know over many years as a super-smart, data-driven, fanatically hard-working manager.  One achievement is rated 8-10/10 by most on here. The other seems to be rated 0-5/10 by many on here.   These ratings don't make sense. 

I would rather take the stance that it might take time to fully understand a manager's strengths. We've had a couple of months. He's had years. He knows football better than most of us do and has many £millions of personal money on the line here.  He's now given NJ the tools he needs to get this club a-moving up the table.   I for one will be patiently and excitedly waiting, and in the meantime giving NJ, and Rasmus, full support.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Now that we've got ours over the line, how about we spare a thought for Everton? Oh yeah, thought not.

What a cluster fuck for them. They had a pretty average squad as it was, made it weaker by selling Gordon so they had funds to reinvest and then didn't reinvest any of it. 

The only positive I can see for them is that they've got a lot of ex-Burnley players there and have added Dyche to manage them. He will have the defensive tools to work with and to make them hard to beat I think, but I just don't see anything in their attack.

Their biggest positive is Dyche - he will have a great chance to turn their fortunes around and probably doesn’t need new players to do it, hence his appointment. We on the other hand are relying on unproven players and a numpty Manager who doesn’t know what his best formation or 1st team is. And isn’t coaching the players to play intelligently.

Before we start laughing at Everton’s plight, I suggest we wait until we’re above them and out of the R zone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Sort of expected having been thrown in the deep end , up a league and a cup semi plus strange set up . He did manage a cross to AA who failed to take the chance in 2nd half !

1 hour ago, NewYorkSaint said:

So let's see... the same man who just pulled off the best January window I can remember for Saints - and it was him working personally on these signings - is also the man who appointed a man he has got to know over many years as a super-smart, data-driven, fanatically hard-working manager.  One achievement is rated 8-10/10 by most on here. The other seems to be rated 0-5/10 by many on here.   These ratings don't make sense. 

I would rather take the stance that it might take time to fully understand a manager's strengths. We've had a couple of months. He's had years. He knows football better than most of us do and has many £millions of personal money on the line here.  He's now given NJ the tools he needs to get this club a-moving up the table.   I for one will be patiently and excitedly waiting, and in the meantime giving NJ, and Rasmus, full support.  

It's the hope that kills...

Interesting to note about the signings is that if do we get relegated, I think they'll all remain with us in the Championship. I wonder if that played a part in who we targeted i.e. our ability to retain them next season.

Yes it'll be gutting for them not to be playing in the best league in the world, but for Onuachu (Belgian league), Orsic (Croatian league), Bree (already Championship) and Alcaraz (Argentinian league), they'll still be playing in a better or comparitive league in the Championship. Sulemana will be playing at a lower level, but he had limited game time towards the end of his Rennes career. There may be release clauses in play for some (not all) of them, but they will attract decent fees if so.

If we had've signed Dembele, Beto etc, they would've been gone the instant we get relegated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Their biggest positive is Dyche - he will have a great chance to turn their fortunes around and probably doesn’t need new players to do it, hence his appointment. We on the other hand are relying on unproven players and a numpty Manager who doesn’t know what his best formation or 1st team is. And isn’t coaching the players to play intelligently.

Before we start laughing at Everton’s plight, I suggest we wait until we’re above them and out of the R zone.

Dyche’s main strength tends more towards making teams more difficult to beat and more difficult to score against.

Everton’s main weakness is that they’ve only scored 15 goals in 20 games, 20% of those were by arguably their best striker this season, and he’s just been sold. That’s far worse than Burnley did in getting relegated.

Obviously how the season plays out isn’t known yet, but today I’d far rather be in our shoes than Everton’s. I don’t think Everton have anything like the performance we showed against Man City in them, for example.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

The owners have backed the manager and spent a huge sum of money which i'm sure they are hoping will get us out of the relegation spots. However i am sure that there has been planning for the worst case scenario as well and they feel they have now put together a strong enough squad to bounce back from the Championship, which financially with the parachute payments they believe they can live with.

I personally think we are getting relegated because we are relying far too heavily on the new additions to hit the ground running and that rarely happens. The swing in form we are looking for is monumental compared to what we have seen for the last 12 months. If we somehow avoid relegation i might actually consider there is a higher presence out there looking down on his Saints!

You might well be right in your assessment. 

However, we’re losing games by a goal at a time, and having addressed the glaring issues in attack, I genuinely believe that if our defence can be a little more organised we’ll be ok. 

We’re a few wins away from mid (ish) table. They just need a bit more confidence. 

Hopefully Onachu works out like Pelle did for us.

Hard to guage window. Got my concerns about spending so much on the speedy winger in particular(when we could just have brought back tella) . Hope turns out to be another Mane. Signing the veteran Orsic, who so far has looked off the pace also a notable concern.

Worry is that even if we stay up we may have to balance the books with summer sales to make up for this spending spree.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I'd tend to agree with this, certainly in a normal season. But so many teams have been rubbish that we're still only four points off 14th place. Or to put it another way we only need to get three more points in 18 games than the three teams just above us. It's certainly not impossible. COYR

• Like 2

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Second half, in a more natural 4, he seemed at home. Good touch I thought, bit of physicality and height at full back (which we haven't had). 2nd half decent, 1st half to write off as he wasn't sure of his role. (which makes a mockery of him knowing Jones systems...)

tough task to ask a previous Championship player to come in a week later and excel in a semifinal cup match away against a solid Newcastle team currently in 3rd place in the top tier. So yeah, the jury should still be out.

Wasn't able to watch the game last night, does Bree have a good right cross? - we just bought a 6'-7" striker. Onuachu's highlight reel was about 50% headers, 25% penalties, and 25% awkward finishes on his foot.

Onuachu! | Gesundheit!

** unrelated to the response:   Oh, I can't help but think our season would feel completely different if we had been in for Pope and not Bazunu. Hindsight, 20/20, etc.

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

tough task to ask a previous Championship player to come in a week later and excel in a semifinal cup match away against a solid Newcastle team currently in 3rd place. So yeah, the jury should still be out.

Wasn't able to watch the game last night, does Bree have a good right cross? - we just bought a 6'-7" striker. Onuachu's highlight real was about 50% headers, 25% penalties, and 25% awkward finishes on his foot.

Onuachu! | Gesundheit!

His crossing was crap last night, didn't beat the first man and the final one was shanked up to the moon.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Well that is about a £127 million spend so far this season and around £121 million net. Can't say they haven't put their money in. 

Yes, but with a clueless muppet as the manager that's like buying a Ferrari LaFerrari and handing the keys to a drunken teenager.

• Haha 3

Over a dozen players in plus one on loan, and certainly lots of investment from SR. Certainly a lot more than I expected. Both in number, and cost.

Even after all that, the biggest gap is the Romeu one.

While I've not seen Baz be atrocious, he's not impressed either, and should be stopping more than he has. Not unexpected, considering his age. But a problem in games where the single goal makes the difference.

I don't know enough about our incoming players to have confidence/ or lack of on how they will settle in. Like everyone, hopefully it will be enough to stay up, rather than an expensive stable door with the horses long gone with Ralph.

I'd be surprised if every one of the new signings ousted the others as seen from some of the line ups up above.

Orsic and Alcatraz haven't set the world on fire yet. It's only fair that it can take a little time. But there's pressure from needing those points so badly. Somewhere in the new lot, there just has to be goals. Broja's finishes and play made such a difference for a spell. If we can even get that, we'll have a chance.

Bree was as pants as a lot of the team first half last night. Like the others, we saw some of their strengths in the second. You could see the style NJ is looking for with the long, direct passing. But we only got to see that, because Newcastle's job was done.

Watches swannymere reach for the tissues....

4 hours ago, swannymere said:

I've finished, i'm watching another user now, amazing how many people don't turn off their webcams.

Indeed it is. Indeed it is. 🙂