The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

It’s mad to think that a club that’s been in the premier league for only a season and 8 games have built a better squad than us, have a better manager could well finish above us for the second season in a row yet arrogantly some of our fans think he will leave them for us. 

It’s not arrogant to think he might be persuaded by better terms than he is currently on.

I do agree with your assessment of the club in question.  They did luck out with Eriksson last season though.

• Like 1

After beating Villa in Smith’s final game, Southampton went on to win just six of their next 27 Premier League games and lost nine of their final 12.

This season isn’t going much better with five defeats in eight, winning just twice.

Eight wins in 35 since beating Villa is terrible form for Hasenhuttl and the Saints, and it could lead to a change in the near future.

Shocking reading not sure how any club would feel that's good enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

After beating Villa in Smith’s final game, Southampton went on to win just six of their next 27 Premier League games and lost nine of their final 12.

This season isn’t going much better with five defeats in eight, winning just twice.

Eight wins in 35 since beating Villa is terrible form for Hasenhuttl and the Saints, and it could lead to a change in the near future.

Shocking reading not sure how any club would feel that's good enough.

Forget the 9-0 results, that for me is the most damaging statistic of all. Eight wins in 35 games is dire, how he still has a job is beyond me.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

It’s not arrogant to think he might be persuaded by better terms than he is currently on.

I do agree with your assessment of the club in question.  They did luck out with Eriksson last season though.

It’s not really luck to sign a proven top quality player in a position that would improve them, maybe we should try it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Forget the 9-0 results, that for me is the most damaging statistic of all. Eight wins in 35 games is dire, how he still has a job is beyond me.

It's a 22% win ratio... Crazy 

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

Do you think they are waiting for Saturday's hammering to announce his departure so it looks less bad on their part after tying all the allegiances to him and the dreaded vote of confidence! 

I think it's more they would rather not subject the new coach to a potential humiliation in his first game, but I'd be happy to go into this one with a caretaker if it meant we could end this torture sooner rather than later.

If we put on a good show against City it won't change anything for me, we  always have a good go against the best teams, but that suggests to me the players are doing it for themselves, not for Ralph, given how unmotivated we are against the dross. 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Do you think they are waiting for Saturday's hammering to announce his departure so it looks less bad on their part after tying all the allegiances to him and the dreaded vote of confidence! 

Christ, if he goes into Saturday's match knowing it's his last, in a show of stubborn arrogance he'll probably make 11 changes and instruct them to line up in a F**k You formation.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

It’s not really luck to sign a proven top quality player in a position that would improve them, maybe we should try it!

I think the circumstances of them getting Eriksson were pretty unique.  Go and play for a mate to get some fitness and a new contract elsewhere.

Very lucky for Brentford.

I didn't read the Athletic article. Did it contain any new information in terms of Ralph's training methods and relationship with the players? If not I'm beginning to think they were short of something to write about so decided to just rehash some old news. It's strange that there has been no response from the club or owners unless I've missed it. I know the Echo said they're giving him more time but there doesn't seem to have been any denials or refuting of the claims against Ralph. He's run his course for me and it is time for a fresh start.

Edited by saintant

27 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I think it's more they would rather not subject the new coach to a potential humiliation in his first game, but I'd be happy to go into this one with a caretaker if it meant we could end this torture sooner rather than later.

If we put on a good show against City it won't change anything for me, we  always have a good go against the best teams, but that suggests to me the players are doing it for themselves, not the Ralph, given how unmotivated we are against the dross. 

If he’s going sooner rather than later I would have got shot last weekend and had a caretaker in for City. If we picked up and put in a decent performance it would be a good platform for the new gaffer - not ideal but even a heavy defeat could have still been ‘written off’ for anyone incoming

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Last time we attempted something like that was when we lost Fonte and Van Djik and brought in Martin Caceres to fill a seat on the bench.

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

It's a 22% win ratio... Crazy 

Still way above Hughes and Pellegrino. I think we need to be prepared for things to get worse before they get better, RH must surely be on borrowed time having lost three on the bounce against direct rivals but the trigger might not be pulled for a few weeks. My guess is either the World Cup interval or they might wait to see if Lavia can bring some improvement when he returns from injury.

17 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Last time we attempted something like that was when we lost Fonte and Van Djik and brought in Martin Caceres to fill a seat on the bench.

Still way above Hughes and Pellegrino. I think we need to be prepared for things to get worse before they get better, RH must surely be on borrowed time having lost three on the bounce against direct rivals but the trigger might not be pulled for a few weeks. My guess is either the World Cup interval or they might wait to see if Lavia can bring some improvement when he returns from injury.

Pellegrinos win % was 25.7% Hughes was worse at 18.5%

Our current form in Ralphs last 20 games is worse than Pellerinos last 20 games before he was sacked. 

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Christ, if he goes into Saturday's match knowing it's his last, in a show of stubborn arrogance he'll probably make 11 changes and instruct them to line up in a F**k You formation.

It would be a nice change to the usual F**K us formation!

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Pellegrinos win % was 25.7% Hughes was worse at 18.5%

Our current form in Ralphs last 20 games is worse than Pellerinos last 20 games before he was sacked. 

I was referring to managers' PL history which @Mr X raised in his previous post. I didn't think anyone would bring up Pellegrino's impressive 100% record in the FA Cup (against Championship standard sides) alongside his Premier League stats of 5 wins in 30 matches as a valid comparison of a manager's ability. 

It's a bit like people citing Adkins as winning around 50% of all his matches. Don't get me wrong, I respect his time with us but without looking it up, he must have been on around a 25% PL win rate which I think is a rather more accurate reflection of his ability.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

I was referring to managers' PL history which @Mr X raised in his previous post. I didn't think anyone would bring up Pellegrino's impressive 100% record in the FA Cup (against Championship standard sides) alongside his Premier League stats of 5 wins in 30 matches as a valid comparison of a manager's ability. 

It's a bit like people citing Adkins as winning around 50% of all his matches. Don't get me wrong, I respect his time with us but without looking it up, he must have been on around a 25% PL win rate which I think is a rather more accurate reflection of his ability.

Super Ralphs record is 8 wins in the last 30 leagues, perhaps significantly 3 in the last 20 which will no doubt become 3 in 21 on saturday. The reality of the situation if our form of the last 20 league games continues for the full of this season we'd finish the season on 22 points and be down by April.

• Like 2

Does Ralph actually want to be here? Doesn't feel like he's absolutely 100% behind his own job. Much more that he'd quite like a pay-off now, thanks. And here's some bolshy non-management/crap selections to get that to happen sooner. Are the board calling his bluff? Maybe they really are hoping a Man City drubbing will be the excuse to pull the lever, whilst also allowing more time for teeing up our next coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

did you click it, I just opened it and read it no worries and I dont have an account

Ralph Hasenhuttl on the brink at Southampton

By Sam Wallace, Chief Football Writer and John Percy 5 October 2022 • 6:16pm
4-5 minutes

Ralph Hasenhuttl’s time at Southampton is coming to a close with the club now considering the timing of the Austrian coach’s departure and a new manager imminent.

Hasenhuttl, 55, has survived a number of setbacks since his appointment by the former Chinese-backed regime in December 2018 and has performed above expectations at times to keep the club in the Premier League. Nevertheless, a change of coach has been on the cards for some time at the club now under the management of Sport Republic, backed by the Serb telecommunications billionaire, Dragan Solak.

Southampton face champions Manchester City at the Etihad this weekend, an away fixture in which they secured a well-deserved draw last season. This time the pressure is much more acute with three successive defeats for Southampton and, with another likely, Hasenhuttl’s departure is drawing closer.

Hasenhuttl has proved himself on many occasions to be an adept tactician and capable of pulling off occasional eye-catching victories over much stronger, wealthier opposition. There is a feeling that the club now needs change and requires a coach who can help develop a model of younger, developing talents.  

There is still no outright first choice to replace him, although alternatives have been discussed internally.

Southampton have struggled at the start of the season, with just seven points from their first eight games, and while the objective, as ever, is survival there have been some concerning results – including Saturday’s home defeat to Everton.

Their poor end to last season has also been taken into account, after 10 defeats in the final 13 matches. Hasenhuttl survived a summer review of the club's football operations, with the majority of his backroom staff leaving instead.

Southampton are now run on the football side by the Sport Republic chief executive Rasmus Ankersen, formerly of Brentford, and Henrik Kraft, the chair of the same investment company.

Ankersen was responsible for the negotiation of deals over the summer transfer window and Sport Republic recruited Joe Shields from Manchester City’s academy as head of their senior team recruitment programme. At the end of last season, the Sport Republic ownership sacked all three of Hasenhuttl’s key assistant coaches – Craig Fleming, Kelvin Davis and Dave Watson – and installed their own coaching team to work with the manager.

There is an acceptance that Hasenhuttl has not always had the support around him that might have been expected for a Premier League manager because of the change at the club. He was appointed and supported by former sporting director Ross Wilson who later left for Rangers. He was then given the full backing of the chief executive Martin Semmens while the club was in the process of being sold by former Chinese owner Gao Jisheng.

As a result of the changes Southampton have been through, many of those who backed Hasenhuttl originally are no longer in the key decision-making positions.

Hasenhuttl has occasionally struggled to connect with players away from the training pitch, and that has been an issue – especially for those who have not been part of his plans. The club would also accept that he has had to contend with limited scope for recruitment.

Managing relationships within the club with players and key staff will be vital for the new manager, who will have to work within the Southampton development system. The signing of young players, with scope to improve, such as Romeo Lavia, Gavin Bazunu, Armel Bella-Kotchap and Joe Aribo has thus far been vindicated by individual performances, if not the results of the team. Southampton are unable to compete with wealthier rivals in the league.

• Like 2

I don't think there's any new information that we didn't know already. It doesn't take a genius to write the first sentence, based on our last three matches, all against relegation rivals and taking zero points. A few years back the Telegraph used to be Les Reed's mouthpiece, but this merely looks to be a re-write of Monday's article in The Athletic.

• Like 1

Back to potential options:

Tedseco, if he doesn't go to Wolves
Niko Kovac, who is at Wolfsburg but imminently for the sack I'd imagine
Bo Svensson, if we're willing to go for someone in work
Jess Thorup? Did well at Copenhagen and feels very Saints-y
Bo Henriksen? Had Midtjylland playing well...ish

It's a shame we missed out on Marco Rose, genuinely think he could have been tempted here

Edited by Christophenburg

6 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

It's a shame we missed out on Marco Rose, genuinely think he could have been tempted here

Saw he was linked with Wolves the other day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Wolves friend said today that word up there was Lopetigue.

Interesting names you’ve listed. Bo Svennson is a name on the up. Of the others though all have been sacked from previous clubs, possibly a couple of jobs even,some (Kovac and Tedesco) in quick succession or after only a short period at their last club. This doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be good for us (think WGS and Poch) but have a chequered track record.

Marco Rose - clearly too late.

Either the club are briefing the press which is a bit of a shitty thing to to do or there is a leak in the camp trying to cause problems. All this stuff about Ralph not having a relationship with the players recently suggests the latter 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Either the club are briefing the press which is a bit of a shitty thing to to do or there is a leak in the camp trying to cause problems. All this stuff about Ralph not having a relationship with the players recently suggests the latter 

I thought those had gone Redmond, Bednarek cant think of anyone in current squad. Armstrong’s? 

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I thought those had gone Redmond, Bednarek cant think of anyone in current squad. Armstrong’s? 

We thought that when Austin, Bertrand, Lemina and Hoedt went. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

🚨 Nottingham Forest boss Steve Cooper ‘has admirers’ at Southampton, but Saints are likely to conduct a ‘full recruitment procedure’ in the event of Hasenhuttl’s departure #saintsfc @SamiMokbel81_DM

waiting game then

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wolves friend said today that word up there was Lopetigue.

Interesting names you’ve listed. Bo Svennson is a name on the up. Of the others though all have been sacked from previous clubs, possibly a couple of jobs even,some (Kovac and Tedesco) in quick succession or after only a short period at their last club. This doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be good for us (think WGS and Poch) but have a chequered track record.

Marco Rose - clearly too late.

Honestly, I don't think being sacked is a big indicator of quality - most managers have been sacked somewhere along the line and lots of clubs are pretty trigger happy, I mean look at Wolves...

3 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Honestly, I don't think being sacked is a big indicator of quality - most managers have been sacked somewhere along the line and lots of clubs are pretty trigger happy, I mean look at Wolves...

Yeah it’s not like being sacked from a normal Job. Big pay out, but of time off and walk into another job within a few months. He is still fairly well regarded and another mid table club in England or Germany would probably take him. Personally think he’ll end up going back to Germany and doing alright there with a middle sized club. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Worked with Selles at Copenhagen.

This is another consideration - lots of managers will want to bring in their own coaching team. 

But having revamped the coaching set up a over the summer, Saints probably aren't about to do so again a few months into the season.

The new guy is going to have to be able to work with what we've already got in place. 

Having a pre-existing relationship with his old assistant Selles might just tip the scales in his favour.

• Like 2

Any lesser known Simeones or Contes out there? While we all want a manager who will bring fast, flowing, attractive football, we could also do with somebody who makes us hard to play against, aggressive, a team of bastards even. For far too long we've been so easy to play against and even bullied by some teams. For all the praise of ABK, Salisu, KWP, Lavia etc, I think we have the 5th worst defence in the league, with the promoted teams making up most of the positions below us.

Like a foreign Sean Dyche 😂

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

This is another consideration - lots of managers will want to bring in their own coaching team. 

But having revamped the coaching set up a over the summer, Saints probably aren't about to do so again a few months into the season.

The new guy is going to have to be able to work with what we've already got in place. 

Having a pre-existing relationship with his old assistant Selles might just tip the scales in his favour.

I agree Uk to a point but this exactly what happened when Ralph came in and look how that ended up.

If I were the manager being approached for the job given where the club lie in the table you’d have a good argument to say “these people clearly haven’t worked therefore I want to bring in my own team”.

It's patently obvious to me that they don't know who they want to replace him (or perhaps can realistically get), else he would be gone by now.

The club have shown they're not risk averse by going young on the signings front, but I see them looking for an experienced manager, particularly someone experienced in working with youth. 

Part of me wonders if they have Roberto Martinez in the crosshairs. Rudi Garcia maybe an outside bet if he fancied a return to proper football.

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Would be a bit arse about face to bring in a manager to suit the existing backroom team. Should be the other way round. Although does seem possibly ‘Saintsy’.

39 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I agree Uk to a point but this exactly what happened when Ralph came in and look how that ended up.

If I were the manager being approached for the job given where the club lie in the table you’d have a good argument to say “these people clearly haven’t worked therefore I want to bring in my own team”.

Agree.

Think Lowe tried this when replacing Hoddle. We missed out on the then highly rated Moyes and appointed Gray instead. 

24 minutes ago, gsweet87 said:

It's patently obvious to me that they don't know who they want to replace him (or perhaps can realistically get), else he would be gone by now.

The club have shown they're not risk averse by going young on the signings front, but I see them looking for an experienced manager, particularly someone experienced in working with youth. 

Part of me wonders if they have Roberto Martinez in the crosshairs. Rudi Garcia maybe an outside bet if he fancied a return to proper football.

Had hoped SR to be better organised than we’ve been used to. Pretty poor if they dispense with Ralph and only then start fumbling around for a replacement.

Martinez - aren’t Belgium in the WC ? So probably wouldn’t be available as soon as we’d like. 

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

Would be a bit arse about face to bring in a manager to suit the existing backroom team. Should be the other way round. Although does seem possibly ‘Saintsy

Maybe we went in for the pair of them in the summer, but Thorup opted to stay on with Copenhagen at that time.

Maybe.