The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

3 hours ago, DT said:

Wonder if one of the managers we are keeping tabs on is Scott Parker. Personally think we can and should do better. But wonder.

I have just vomited over my computer, then I looked at the poster and thought 'Thank god' it won't be true. 😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Think SR might well live to regret their faith in Ralph.

Wouldn’t read too much into that article, it’s a rehash of the Athletic one. Probably doesn’t mean anything but would have expected someone like Jeremy Wilson or similar to have put out a piece expressing faith in Ralph, recognition of need for patience, young squad, injuries etc. 

Fact they haven’t yet gives me the impression that they’re getting closer to getting rid. All idle speculation on my part and there’s no reason they should be responding to the article.

4 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

👀 #ITKWatch

Absolutely not on this occasion.  Just a slow day at work and browsing the internet for potential new managers. Not someone I know anything about, but reading a bit about him, seems like he could be a fit for us. From RB Leipzig, high energy, pressing, demands a lot from the players...did well with Schalke getting them back into the top league, and seemed to do a decent job with RBL last season. Lost his way a bit this season and was sacked last month.

I don't want a Rodgers, or Dyche etc. Would like Frank, but right now, not sure why he would leave Brentford, and not sure we could afford to sack ralph and pay Frank's compensation too.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Anyone know much about Domenico Tedesco?? Could be a good fit ?

Given he hasn't managed in Zambia and Armenian leagues my knowledge is superficial but I followed his progress last year at leipzig as there were quite a few articles on what a great job he was doing after jesse marsch had got the sack.

That led me to today when i saw the free managers to searching around on the net and found this video on his tactics at schalke by Tifo on his tactics

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Considering the 'playbook' and the club been set up from the bottom up to play a pressing game and that feeds into the first team you'd think it would have to be someone who matches that style. 

I’m sure we can find someone equally as shambolic as Ralph if maintaining that “style” is the key requirement? 😉 

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Matthias Jaissle - coached in denmark, now coach of red bull salzburg - 34yrs old 

could be interesting but they are of course still in champs league so probably would be hard to pull him away.

Interesting but isn’t RB Salzburg his first job a ‘first’ division (and not a particularly strong one) in a bit of a one horse race ? 

He probably could go on to better things, but bit of a gamble as young and not great experience.

Would prefer a bit more experience coming into our league. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Frank isn’t available is he? Do you think we have the budget to pay off Ralph and pay Brentford compensation?

I thought he was and no, we probably haven’t got the budget, but then again can the owners afford a costly and damaging relegation?  Right now that decision must be on a knife edge!

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Interesting but isn’t RB Salzburg his first job a ‘first’ division (and not a particularly strong one) in a bit of a one horse race ? 

He probably could go on to better things, but bit of a gamble as young and not great experience.

Yeah he did manage their feeder club beforehand but out of the names on the free list I think I would go for tedesco as he has good experience and been successful in germany and russia.

But these are just names, I would equally expect SR to pull some unknown from the mongolian league who then becomes a relevation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Badger said:

So he's young and inexperienced, but is he hungry?

• Haha 1

Sean Dyche will end up at Forest. He lives that way and is exactly the kind of person Forest need.

In terms of Saints, on the other hand sometimes a dressing room is so low and divided from the manager that literally ANY change will have a positive impact in the short term.

If we brought in an unknown from a random corner of Europe I feel like senior players would actually give them a chance we what they’ve been having to endure in recent times with Ralph.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sean Dyche will end up at Forest. He lives that way and is exactly the kind of person Forest need.

In terms of Saints, on the other hand sometimes a dressing room is so low and divided from the manager that literally ANY change will have a positive impact in the short term.

If we brought in an unknown from a random corner of Europe I feel like senior players would actually give them a chance we what they’ve been having to endure in recent times with Ralph.

The Times claiming that Forest have approached Benitez. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Yeah he did manage their feeder club beforehand but out of the names on the free list I think I would go for tedesco as he has good experience and been successful in germany and russia.

But these are just names, I would equally expect SR to pull some unknown from the mongolian league who then becomes a relevation.

I wonder if we will still be looking in the free and available list this time or whether SR have moved us on from that.  I’m hoping they have.

It came as a surprise that we were prepared to shell out £30m on Gakpo. From that it seems SR are prepared to spend, and they - rather than the existing board members - might realise this is the most critical appointment they make. 

• Like 1

On the topic of Tedesco, he’s young and has a decent record of improving things briefly at his clubs. Worrying thing though is that it has tended to be short term before he’s on his way again.

But most of us would be pleased with a short term improvement between now and the end of the season.

22 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Forest don't need Dyche.

They have assembled a ragbag of players on big wages and short contracts.

They need a big personality boss with experience of making a team from players they haven't signed. 

It's a budget version of Real Madrid or Chelsea. I am not a big fan of Benitez but he probably is the right kind of guy. Failing that, Big Sam. A mercenary squad needs a mercenary boss.

That's not Dyche. He's s a proper squad builder and much Iess of a fit. 

Anyway, fuck Forest. We need some teams to be in the shit so long may it continue.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Forest don't need Dyche.

They have assembled a ragbag of players on big wages and short contracts.

They need a big personality boss with experience of making a team from players they haven't signed. 

It's a budget version of Real Madrid or Chelsea. I am not a big fan of Benitez but he probably is the right kind of guy. Failing that, Big Sam. A mercenary squad needs a mercenary boss.

That's not Dyche. He's s a proper squad builder and much Iess of a fit. 

Anyway, fuck Forest. We need some teams to be in the shit so long may it continue.

Fat Sam would suit what Forest have assembled. It wouldn't suit us though as that squad is capable of doing well. 

Back to us, if Forest bin Cooper, I'd take him here. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dusic said:

Cooper plays 3 CBs for Forest. Has he done that elsewhere too?

Not a fan of that setup at all.

Arguably we have the players to do it at the back, it's the midfield and attack I'm not sure about.

ABK - DCC - Salisu

KWP                                    Perraud

• Like 1

Just now, Dusic said:

I'm not a great fan, but properly coached, it can be effective. I think part of our problem is that the players didn't look comfortable with it because of how they were coached and/or how we were set up

For me, it arguably suits our squad. Back 3 of CC, ABK, MS then 2 wingbacks (Larios doesn't look like a full back to me, but wingback is different), 2 in the middle, 2 number 10's supporting 1 up top or 1 number 10 and 2 up top. I wouldn't rule a manager out of that were his system - what I would rule out is a manager who couldn't make anything from players that he would inherit. 

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Arguably we have the players to do it at the back, it's the midfield and attack I'm not sure about.

ABK - DCC - Salisu

KWP                                    Perraud

Yep, I was typing as you posted. You could slot AMN as cover either side, and Larios may look better on the left than in a 4 where Salisu would give the back post height he doesn't have. I'm surprised we've looked so shit with the system to be honest. 

15 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, I was typing as you posted. You could slot AMN as cover either side, and Larios may look better on the left than in a 4 where Salisu would give the back post height he doesn't have. I'm surprised we've looked so shit with the system to be honest. 

Nearly all the PL sides who use it look shit apart from the ones with top forwards like Spurs and Chelsea.

KWP also much better attacking from deep in a 4 than when played as a wing back.

Edited by Dusic

18 hours ago, OldNick said:

I have just vomited over my computer, then I looked at the poster and thought 'Thank god' it won't be true. 😀😀

I shudder to think what sort of posters you have tbh 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dusic said:

He did it at Swansea - started off with 4231 until about 40 games into his first season where he switched to 343/352 and kept that until he left.

7 hours ago, Badger said:

On the topic of Tedesco, he’s young and has a decent record of improving things briefly at his clubs. Worrying thing though is that it has tended to be short term before he’s on his way again.

But most of us would be pleased with a short term improvement between now and the end of the season.

Sounds like you've been talking to my ex-girlfriends

Forest mate of mine reckons they're going for Tuchel , not sure where they're getting this arrogance from perhaps signing so many players you believe anyone would join you given the chance. Stranger things have happened I suppose 

9 minutes ago, JRM said:

Forest mate of mine reckons they're going for Tuchel , not sure where they're getting this arrogance from perhaps signing so many players you believe anyone would join you given the chance. Stranger things have happened I suppose 

Be amazed at that. They've been linked with Benitez in the media today, more likely.

On 03/10/2022 at 12:09, FarehamSaintJames said:

We’re not getting Thomas Franks. Why would he leave Brentford who are doing very well for a team that’s constantly flirting with relegation? I wouldn’t.

Rafa Benitez - no thank you. Like a Spanish Sam Alladyce, not exciting football, yes he probably sort the defence out but our attacking threat would be nullified. He would equally ask for too much money and want too much control I imagine.
(I think our attacking play is good, it’s the problem of not finishing the chances, a constant issue since the departures of Ings and before him Pellè).

Someone said AVB? No idea what he has done for the past decade.

Pochettino - dreamy, great relationship with the fans, good back room team, would unite the club but again would demand too much money and deserves to be at a much better club than us.

Deep down I think it’ll be an obscure appointment that no one saw coming. A bit like Brighton’s recently. The Mainz manager is Danish and has been highly praised in the German media for their progressive style of football so there is a SR link there.

Who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We're a bigger club and as much as I can't for the life of me understand why that matters, managers seem to favour that. How often have we said "He'd be silly to leave that little job for that slightly bigger one" and they have. He also has a link with our chairman. Personally, I think he'd come.

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

We're a bigger club and as much as I can't for the life of me understand why that matters, managers seem to favour that. How often have we said "He'd be silly to leave that little job for that slightly bigger one" and they have. He also has a link with our chairman. Personally, I think he'd come.

I cant see Frank coming here. If he has another year doing well at Brentford he'll be on the radar of clubs like Villa, Everton, bigger budgets, not buying with resale value being the main criteria. He might even get Newcastle, Spurs or a club like that.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I cant see Frank coming here. If he has another year doing well at Brentford he'll be on the radar of clubs like Villa, Everton, bigger budgets, not buying with resale value being the main criteria. He might even get Newcastle, Spurs or a club like that.

There's every chance that he could see us as a stepping stone for one of those clubs. They'd be more likely to approach if he'd done well with Brentford AND a slightly more reputable club.

I'm not saying he absolutely would come however I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he'd consider it.

Edited by Bad Wolf

18 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

There's every chance that he could see us as a stepping stone for one of those clubs. They'd be more likely to approach if he'd done well with Brentford AND a slightly more reputable club.

I'm not saying he absolutely would come however I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he'd consider it.

hes already at a stepping stone to those clubs.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

He’d been on a hiding to nothing. No fucking  chance he’ll come here. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

There's zero chance he'd come here. He's arguably got a better squad to work with, has a proper centre forward, and a decent scouting network. He'll go somewhere proper next. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

In terms of misplaced optimism, Dragan & Co. genuinely surprised us in the summer in terms of overall spend and retention (apart from OR), but agree Frank would be a major surprise given our current situation. That’s the measure of the sorry state of Saints at the moment, bloody Brentford manager too good for us!
Given the current radio silence around the moribund Hassenhutl on the back of mistake of keeping him in charge over the summer, you’d hope that the core of SR are currently flat out trying to secure the very best appointment. To do that and not at least speak to Frank given the Ankersen link would be negligent. We will know after Man City tonk us I suppose. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

There's zero chance he'd come here. He's arguably got a better squad to work with, has a proper centre forward, and a decent scouting network. He'll go somewhere proper next. 

It’s mad to think that a club that’s been in the premier league for only a season and 8 games have built a better squad than us, have a better manager could well finish above us for the second season in a row yet arrogantly some of our fans think he will leave them for us. 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s mad to think that a club that’s been in the premier league for only a season and 8 games have built a better squad than us, have a better manager could well finish above us for the second season in a row yet arrogantly some of our fans think he will leave them for us. 

It's coz we iz a bigger club innit.