The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

Thomas Frank would undoubtedly be at the top of the owners list of managers. 

Im not so sure he’d want to come here based on the last 6 months. I think we had a better chance of tempting him in the summer and we missed it. 

• Like 3

Benitez if he’s up for it - the whole club needs a leader as it’s so anonymous, corporate, bland, lacking backbone and character. He would give some much needed profile and identity because it’s become a soulless club. SMS could be in the Midlands or Home Counties - Reading and MK are very similar to SFC post-2017.

Saints have often been better with a big name in charge (Ronald, Hoddle, Lawrie became a big name). SR look very green and naive and Semmens is wilting because of his reliance on Ralph who has failed comprehensively. Rafa likes running a club and he can do that with Saints right now. Players would look up to him and standards would be demanded. Won’t be free flowing football but it isn’t anyway.

The club effectively died as having any substance when Gao bought it. The odd twitch since but it’s been abysmal home form since then and since the away form has fallen away the club has become irrelevant as a footballing entity with any identity. Probably young players is the only one but that’s because they are cheap. The academy hasn’t produced anything since JWP/Shaw, a decade now, so any DNA gone there as well.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 12

I suppose it depends if you think Ralph is underachieving or not.  If you do then Saints could be an attractive role for someone like Frank.  But yeah he's got a good thing at Brentford so may well not touch us with a barge pole!

We need a change though... Please go Ralph

Most managers would be better right now surely. The problem is those with Premier League experience are either rubbish, boring or wouldn't be seen dead adding us to their CV. As long as Ralph goes, Selles can take charge for now.

A quick look at free agent managers... Dejan Stankovic? Did well with Red Star Belgrade, Serbian like our owner, wouldn't cost anything, was a tasty player back in the day...

• Like 4

I'd 100% take Rafa if he would come here. How Everton fans treated him was a disgrace.

I'd also take Brendan Rodgers. Things have obviously got stale at Leicester but you can't overlook what he achieved with them before.

Edited by Pamplemousse
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I cannot believe that SR have not been working on a possible Ralph replacement for if/when they pull the trigger. It could easily be that they have identified someone that we've never heard of. Who knew anything about de Zerbi before Brighton brought him in?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Thomas Frank? Literally the only person I'd realistically consider. Even Poch isn't tactically brilliant and I don't think he'd do much better here!

I'd rather we'd targeted Brentford's Director of Football, or Recruitment . Think it's Phil Giles.

Poch, would at least have them motivated a busting lungs getting around the pitch. But that's irrelevant as there's no prospect of him being interested in us at our current level.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

Tuchel, Poch, Zidane above our remit.

Personally, I’d like to see if we could tempt Kjetil Knutsen from Bodo/Glimt.

Won the Norwegian league twice, decent campaign in Europe including beating Mourinho’s Roma 6-1. 
Might even spark Ely into life.

Other point would be that Graham Potter also came from similar Swedish league

Edited by nta786
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, nta786 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

Tuchel, Poch, Zidane above our remit.

Personally, I’d like to see if we could tempt Kjetil Knutsen from Bodo/Glimt.

Won the Norwegian league twice, decent campaign in Europe including beating Mourinho’s Roma 6-1. 
Might even spark Ely into life.

Other point would be that Graham Potter also came from Norwegian league

Potter came from Swedish League didn't he?

I mentioned Knutsen a while back, seems like the type of manager who could do well with a young team.

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I mentioned Knutsen a while back, seems like the type of manager who could do well with a young team.

Oh yes you’re right!

As long as that mistake doesn’t get me cancelled for Nordic-ism!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Thomas Frank would undoubtedly be at the top of the owners list of managers. 

Im not so sure he’d want to come here based on the last 6 months. I think we had a better chance of tempting him in the summer and we missed it. 

We might be able to pinch Toney?..........thats the striker sorted ,but i think theres some sort of club manager agreement that you not allowed to pinch players in the first season ,i could be way off but hey.

1 minute ago, Roo1976 said:

We might be able to pinch Toney?..........thats the striker sorted ,but i think theres some sort of club manager agreement that you not allowed to pinch players in the first season ,i could be way off but hey.

Should have enforced it to stop Redknapp pinching Quasie

• Like 1

I hardly believe I am saying this. But we are now a rescue job and Dyche might be the man to do it. I loathed what he did at Burnley. However he did get them organised and who knows, maybe with better players then better football will come - in the same way that Howard Wilkinson moved away from long ball football when he went from Sheffield Wednesday to Leeds.

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I hardly believe I am saying this. But we are now a rescue job and Dyche might be the man to do it. I loathed what he did at Burnley. However he did get them organised and who knows, maybe with better players then better football will come - in the same way that Howard Wilkinson moved away from long ball football when he went from Sheffield Wednesday to Leeds.

Don't think SR would even entertain the idea of someone like Sean Dyche.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I find it amazing that anyone would prefer a style of football over results. But they pay their money and support the club like you or I do so each to their own.

I really hope SR have been planning behind the scenes for a week or two to get the man they want. 

How long do you wait?

The SR people are supposedly very reliant and led by data. How much more data do they need to see before they get him gone?!!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

It’s not going to Sean frigging Dyche. It’ll be some foreign manager none of us have heard of but the FM players and statsmen will know everything about as they’ll be the hipsters choice. 

I know palace haven’t started the season that well but there is a lot to admire about what they’ve done as a club. Viera is a great appointment and they’ve rebuilt an aging team into a young exciting one. They’ve had a really hard start to the season though already played city away, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle away. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

With large numbers of saints fans shouting for players to get thr ball forward at the first opportunity, maybe Dyche is the answer?!

Get it forward! We do that now the trouble is it ends up going out for a goal kick 

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Is it also possible that Selles will just step up if and when we get rid of Ralph? Not saying that's what i'd be happy with, but it may be what SR have planned whether it happens now or in the summer. 

I’d be concerned if it was. Selles has never been a first team manager. For all those who want Frank and point to him being assist at Brentford before stepping he’d been manager of Brondy for a few years and manager them in Europe although his record was unremarkable. To throw someone into the premier league with a handful of games as a first team coach might be out of the frying pan into the fire 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

To be honest, who would get anything out of our squad at the moment. It's horrendously lacking in quality and cohesion. Was a fan of Ralph and think he is a decent guy, but enough is enough now. 

I honestly think there's plenty of talent in the squad, but it's drowning under Ralph.

Poch would obviously be a dream appointment but it's never gonna happen. Ditto for Frank.

I'd take Benitez for sure. I could see Stankovic happening, too. Hell, I'd take Selles right now tbh. Koeman's free at the moment, isn't he?

For me Dyche, Bielsa, Ole and Rodgers are a big no thanks, although perhaps I'm being unfair with the latter as he's clearly had fantastic spells. I wouldn't be mad keen on Tuchel - Chelsea's attack completely died under him. Whiff of the Jose about him?

I had a nightmare once that we re-appointed Mark Hughes and in his first presser he said he returned due to "unfinished business".

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’d be concerned if it was. Selles has never been a first team manager. For all those who want Frank and point to him being assist at Brentford before stepping he’d been manager of Brondy for a few years and manager them in Europe although his record was unremarkable. To throw someone into the premier league with a handful of games as a first team coach might be out of the frying pan into the fire 

I agree, alongside the Frank example there are many assistants who stepped up to be managers and utterly failed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

Jorge Sampaoli

This - been touting Sampaoli since his chile days when he did amazing things with Universidad - I think i did a big tactical post on here about him like 8yrs ago, let me see if I can find it.

“We believe you have to play football thinking about the opponent’s goal more than your own,”

“You pick players to attack, you form them to defend.” Jorge Sampoli

Article i posted in 2014 - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1894861-tighes-2014-world-cup-tactics-board-analysing-jorge-sampaolis-chile

Edit - cant find the tactical report (unless someone can show me a seach function on this forum as have 250 pages of posts) but did find this tactical link from 2014

Also you have got me excited again, if we sacked ralph and got jorge in I'd be stoked.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, The Cat said:

Was he not at Mityland when the gave us a hard time in the Europa league?

I suspect Selles was brought in with a view to him gaining experience then taking over once Ralph retires. The problem SR now face is that Selles hasn't had the necessary time and Ralph looks a busted flush with continued weird tactics, team selections and decision making. SR are between a rock and a hard place because if they sack Ralph any new manager will likely want to bring in his own coaches and we've only just hired Selles and the others working with him. However, their bottom line is that they have to make big decisions and make the right ones to give us the best chance of finishing in 17th position or above.

• Like 1