The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

Assuming Ankersen is calling the shots on Ralph’s situation I would assume we do have a list of potential targets but at the moment haven’t stepped up interest in anyone. That would follow suit with the Athletic article saying we are keeping relationships with potential managers

I think we do have a list.

I can’t imagine it ever being the likes of your Sam Alladyce, Sean Dyche, Gary Megson, Alan Pardew, Nigel Pearson type managers.

It’ll be a list totally obscure much like Poch was when he came here. They’ve probably had a shortlist for a while. Probably someone with enough experience but also experience primarily with younger players.

Equally I can’t imagine SR would willingly tell The Athletic their list etc. Pinch of salt and all that. 😅

• Like 1

I would’ve thought any sensible top division club would always have a ‘list’ of managers that they follow? Just like scouting players and coaches.

regardless I won’t have heard of them coz I’ve never really cared about other teams managers but I will be very excited and optimistic after his first press interview when he tells us what a big club we are.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

Either the club are briefing the press which is a bit of a shitty thing to to do or there is a leak in the camp trying to cause problems. All this stuff about Ralph not having a relationship with the players recently suggests the latter 

Could be one of the back room staff coveting the 'top job'....

8 hours ago, ecurnew02 said:

Assuming Ankersen is calling the shots on Ralph’s situation I would assume we do have a list of potential targets but at the moment haven’t stepped up interest in anyone. That would follow suit with the Athletic article saying we are keeping relationships with potential managers

If Ankersen has a list then hope they are attainable targets who we’ve already sounded out.

Under previous management the list has taken weeks to sort itself, before eventually stumbling across someone (who’d always been our number one choice) after presumably other talks had broken down.

Am fearing we still have some Les DNA in our management.

48 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Bo Svensson seems the most #Saintsy 

Can’t say I know much about him, but a little read from what I could find on Google and I tend to agree. 

I don’t think it would be a huge shift from how Ralph (at his best) had us playing and likes a back 3, which we’ve tried a few times this season. 

If I’m honest, I think it’ll be Steve Cooper. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Bo Svensson seems the most #Saintsy 

Except he’s currently in a job. Hopefully SR will break that mould.

Poch aside (which won’t happen), Svensson from what I’ve read, or Frank (who I can’t see leaving Brentford for us) would probably be the most ambitious choices.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

If I’m honest, I think it’ll be Steve Cooper. 

Might depend who is casting the final vote, if it’s Crocker or Semmens then Cooper would fit their bill.

If it’s SR, they might show more ambition.

I wouldn’t be overjoyed with Cooper. Cracking job last season and was popular at Swansea. But it feels a bit like Adkins going to Reading, where he couldn’t recreate his time with us there.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Might depend who is casting the final vote, if it’s Crocker or Semmens then Cooper would fit their bill.

If it’s SR, they might show more ambition.

I wouldn’t be overjoyed with Cooper. Cracking job last season and was popular at Swansea. But it feels a bit like Adkins going to Reading, where he couldn’t recreate his time with us there.

Agree - can’t say Cooper fills me with any glee whatsoever, but who knows he could be the next best thing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Badger said:

If Ankersen has a list then hope they are attainable targets who we’ve already sounded out.

Under previous management the list has taken weeks to sort itself, before eventually stumbling across someone (who’d always been our number one choice) after presumably other talks had broken down.

Am fearing we still have some Les DNA in our management.

This is the important bit. It's all well and good having a list - but if none of them are interested or available then it's a bit pointless.

Of the current names, Bo Svennson or Thomas Frank seem the most Sport Republic, and would be happy with either, particularly Frank (just as I know more about him and been impressed)! Probably be neither! Poch would be the most ambitious, but highly unlikely, and then Cooper I'm not 100% on, mostly due to Forest's insane spending over the summer - did he not tell them it wasnt a great idea to just buy 2 new teams of random players?!

1 minute ago, disconnect said:

Of the current names, Bo Svennson or Thomas Frank seem the most Sport Republic, and would be happy with either, particularly Frank (just as I know more about him and been impressed)! Probably be neither! Poch would be the most ambitious, but highly unlikely, and then Cooper I'm not 100% on, mostly due to Forest's insane spending over the summer - did he not tell them it wasnt a great idea to just buy 2 new teams of random players?!

I honestly don't think he got a say. The days where managers had anything more than "making suggestions" involvement in transfers are long gone.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Agree - can’t say Cooper fills me with any glee whatsoever, but who knows he could be the next best thing.

Proven track record of working with Younger players, generally been a success anywhere he’s been and should we go down, he’s about as good as we’ll get in the championship. 

seems a no brainier to me if I’m honest. 

I dont know if he’s the man to keep us up, but he’s certainly the man to bring us back. 

Edited by Dman
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Dman said:

Proven track record of working with Younger players, generally been a success anywhere he’s been and should we go down, he’s about as good as we’ll get in the championship. 

I dont know if he’s the man to keep us up, but he’s certainly the man to bring us back. 

And I thought I was pessimistic! 

23 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I honestly don't think he got a say. The days where managers had anything more than "making suggestions" involvement in transfers are long gone.

Totally agree, yet some have been quick to say Ralph now has ‘his team’.

Unfortunately Ralph has had to work with the playing squad assembled for him (including the rubbish that was left) and the back room team he’s been given.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

And I thought I was pessimistic! 

Not really, who knows if a new manager we bring in will keep us up. Unless we’re going for a Big Sam/ Dyce type (not going to happen), there’s a risk with any manager we bring in. 

Cooper, at the very least, has proven his ability and should the worse happen be perfect should we drop. 

FWIW, I think he’d do alright here. I think there’s a question mark over anyone we bring in if they can keep us up. 

I’d stick Frank in the same bracket. 

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Not really, who knows if a new manager we bring in will keep us up. Unless we’re going for a Big Sam/ Dyce type (not going to happen), there’s a risk with any manager we bring in. 

Cooper, at the very least, has proven his ability and should the worse happen be perfect should we drop. 

FWIW, I think he’d do alright here. I think there’s a question mark over anyone we bring in if they can keep us up. 

Agreed. I think we're waiting for him to get the chop.

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'm not disagreeing with regard to Cooper, I think he's done brilliantly wherever he's been but the way you worded it made it sound like you'd just assumed we were going down. My comment was tongue in cheek tbh

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I'm not disagreeing with regard to Cooper, I think he's done brilliantly wherever he's been but the way you worded it made it sound like you'd just assumed we were going down. My comment was tongue in cheek tbh

In fairness, I think there’s a good chance we will go down. I just don’t think we have enough firepower going forward, regardless of who comes in. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Dman said:

I dont know if he’s the man to keep us up, but he’s certainly the man to bring us 

If Cooper is deemed surplus to requirements at Forest, I don't think we should be going near him. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If Cooper is deemed surplus to requirements at Forest, I don't think we should be going near him. 

Forest, the same side who signed about 28 players in the summer just throwing money with no real strategy and still ended up with Steve Cook at CB. 

I wouldn’t be judging anyone on that shit show of a club, the owner is clearly a crack pot. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, DT said:

Agreed. I think we're waiting for him to get the chop.

Sad indictment of our management, their ambition, and status as a club if we’re waiting on a manager to get the sack at Forest.

That might be the Crocker/Semmens choice but I’m expecting SR to be more involved in the selection.

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Despite my comment above, getting the boot somewhere else doesn’t mean it won’t work here, ie WGS, and Poch as prime examples 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Sad indictment of our management, their ambition, and status as a club if we’re waiting on a manager to get the sack at Forest.

That might be the Crocker/Semmens choice but I’m expecting SR to be more involved in the selection.

Despite my comment above, getting the boot somewhere else doesn’t mean it won’t work here, ie WGS, and Poch as prime examples 

Not really… a manager we rate, highly; is on the brink of the sack at another club (ran by a crack pot). If he’s our preferred option, Why would we approach them having to pay compensation when he’ll likely be sacked come next week.

29 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Let's hope Cooper isn't considered, shows zero ambition whatsoever.

Given the right tools, he’ll be a top manager. 

He suits us down the ground in terms of what we’re looking to achieve.

I suspect a few probably would have said the same about Potter a few seasons back…

Edited by Dman

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

He suits us down the ground in terms of what we’re looking to achieve.

I suspect a few probably would have said the same about Potter a few seasons back…

I’m trying to understand Forest transfer activity this season.

Was it Cooper demanding 25 players or was it done above his head?

Nobody should buy three lefts back in one transfer window, very stupid indeed!

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

Might be a waste if his time coming to us then, unless you are referring to the upper management as tools in which case this takes on a different perspective.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Piran said:

What's wrong with Pep Guardiola? Nobody seems to be mentioning him...

Too old. Plus Only won the league 4 years out of 5 and never won the champions league at city despite spending billions. Could get Jesus peforming look how well he’s doing at Arsenal. Doesn’t use young players enough, look how many he’s sold too cheaply. Guy is a fraud with a large cheque book

• Haha 2

So let’s get this right:

Forest sign lots of players (too many), probably not the managers choice, poor results… but it’s not the managers fault…

To many, Saints buy several players (but not a striker).. possibly not the managers choice , poor results (over a longer period granted) and it is all Ralph’s fault.

Is this Mongboard logic and critical thinking at its best ?

(Okay, accept other factors to consider, but these are two strands of argument  flagged up as central to the case of both Cooper and Ralph)

Edited by Badger

I'd actually love Poch to return... Can't get away from that. He's available, he's being linked with premier league jobs (lately villa), and we have young players that fit his style of play. Plus we can whip out the old "we signed pochettino" chant.

I do realise it isn't happening. But i'd still love it.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I'd actually love Poch to return... Can't get away from that. He's available, he's being linked with premier league jobs (lately villa), and we have young players that fit his style of play. Plus we can whip out the old "we signed pochettino" chant.

I do realise it isn't happening. But i'd still love it.

Can’t see it in a month of Sundays. He sees himself at the top table now not scurrying around for the crumbs.

Only way we might entice him is if he’s really bored at home and fancies a bit of a laugh until the end of the season, by which time Conti may have blown a fuse too many and fallen out with everyone at spurs.

but not worth thinking about it.

Edited by Badger
  • Sad 1

Flemming Pedersen?

Has got Nordsjaelland to the top of the Danish Superliga with a very young team. Was briefly at Brentford in 2016.

Has a philosophy which would fit at Saints

https://www.itsjustasport.com/articles/2020/1/2/flemmingpedersen

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/welcome-fc-nordsjaelland-youngest-team-europe-football-revolution-1891156

• Like 1
  • Haha 1