The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

39 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Already being reported that the Wolves hierarchy are in the hunt for a new manager and have contacted potential replacements...

What a pointless exercise. There isn’t a single manager in the world who could replace Lage. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, beavis17 said:

Bo Svensson 

First read his name on here a few months ago, may have been your post.

Everything I’ve read about him since is good. Danish as well so will no doubt have registered on the Rasmusomiter.

But his profile is being raised, and with some of the publicity surrounding him now he may well seek something more ambitious than an immediate relegation scrap.

Unfortunately we are a less attractive proposition now than we might have been in the summer when a new manager might have had the option of forming his own team from day one.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

So you eant someone who plays 3 at yhe back.

Also you lot who want Benitez have you seriously looked at the way his teams play? Its boring football

I want someone who makes us win games and i'll take Cruyff's view on it over yours.

3-4-2-1 is a variation of the 3-4-3 shape, a highly attack-minded formation first developed by tactical mastermind and pioneer of Dutch 'Total Football' Johan Cruyff. It's made up of 3 central defenders, 4 midfielders, 2 inside forwards, and 1 central striker, often with a real emphasis on offensive play. 

https://jobsinfootball.com/blog/tactics/3-4-2-1-formation/

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Also you lot who want Benitez have you seriously looked at the way his teams play? Its boring football

I want someone who knows how to set up a team, who knows proper tactics, who knows when and how to make subs to change a game, who knows what his best team is. Above all else I want someone who knows how to win football matches, instead of just cobbling a side together and hoping for the best.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Let's assume that Ralph leaves, we get a new manager in and things don't improve (which they probably wouldn't as the squad is a bit rubbish), who's blood do you bay for then?

Whoever fucked up us not buying a striker.

A decent striker and I reckon we have 4, maybe 5 points more than we currently do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Golactico said:

Dyche for me. People need to get real - we are Saints. Premiership survival is success. The odd big club scalp and the occasional flirtation with the higher end of the table is a bonus. Dyche is a good bet to deliver all of this.

I like Dyche and Burnley shouldn't have sacked him but his style would be a total mismatch for our players. 

In reality, whoever we bring in will be a long term manager.

• Like 5

Things are becoming untenable, but if anything happens, it's not going to happen before Manchester City.

The most likely scenario if something snaps, is that Reuben Selles will take over as 'interim' manager for matches before world cup break.

• Sad 1

Just now, Nolan said:

Things are becoming untenable, but if anything happens, it's not going to happen before Manchester City.

The most likely scenario if something snaps, is that Reuben Selles will take over as 'interim' manager for matches before world cup break.

A Spanish Steve Wigley. Just what we need

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

We've got boring football now, and shit results.

I'd taking boring football, and half decent results. 

• Like 2

The only thing they club have yet to try in order to change things is Ralph going. 

It’s time for it, he’s done well, but the results over this year have been a disaster and there’s no sign of things improving. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I mean, our Premier League safety is in the bag so a two and a half month "interim" while we faff around deciding who our next manager might be is absolutely no problem at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

Let's assume that Ralph leaves, we get a new manager in and things don't improve (which they probably wouldn't as the squad is a bit rubbish), who's blood do you bay for then?

Ralph's.

The Ralph fan boys have had years of blaming anyone but Ralph and delving deep into history for excuses. So the exact same will apply once he's gone.

Anything shit that happens in the next two full seasons at least can be blame squarely at this current manager. If Puel and Les Reed can be blamed for 2021 drops in form then fuck me the next two years are Ralph's fault if it goes wrong. 100%.

I know the Ralph cult are desperate for a new manager to fail so they can launch into the shitty "be careful what you wish for" routine. But sorry, the excuses you've churned out then can be applied in the future.

The Ralph shadow will cast long and dark over this club. We need a strong new manager to really stop the rot.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I mean, our Premier League safety is in the bag so a two and a half month "interim" while we faff around deciding who our next manager might be is absolutely no problem at all.

I would personally be surprised if Selles isn't our next full term manager.

Thomas Frank is an example of someone, brought in as an assistant who simply got promoted.

When Dean Smith left this is the statement Brentford put out...

"We feel the club is in a good place and we don't think it is time for big changes. Promoting Thomas ensures that we can keep building on the foundations that are already in place and working."

Ankersen added: "He has played a major role in the development of our style of play over the past couple of years and we believe he is ready for the job."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I would personally be surprised if Selles isn't our next full term manager.

Thomas Frank is an example of someone, brought in as an assistant who simply got promoted.

When Dean Smith left this is the statement Brentford put out...

"We feel the club is in a good place and we don't think it is time for big changes. Promoting Thomas ensures that we can keep building on the foundations that are already in place and working."

Ankersen added: "He has played a major role in the development of our style of play over the past couple of years and we believe he is ready for the job."

But Dean Smith did a good job.

21 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Is it also possible that Selles will just step up if and when we get rid of Ralph? Not saying that's what i'd be happy with, but it may be what SR have planned whether it happens now or in the summer. 

I think this is probably true. Getting a new manager might mean having to have a coaching team too so this would be the logical step. We absolutely can't hang around as with the Wolves and Leicester situations the talent pool may well be diminishing quite quickly

• Like 1

If (and I would hope when) a new manager comes in, I just want some structure in our play.

I’m sure some decent structure can prevent the constant leaking of goals at  pivotal moments in games and also conceding multiple goals one after the other.

When NA was sacked, Saints management had spent weeks lining up MP.  Hopefully current management are doing something similar - quietly lining up Ralph's replacement so that they can get the new manager in immediately.  My money is on that the switch will take place when the world cup break starts, so that the new manager has time to work with the squad without games.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

When NA was sacked, Saints management had spent weeks lining up MP.  Hopefully current management are doing something similar - quietly lining up Ralph's replacement so that they can get the new manager in immediately.  My money is on that the switch will take place when the world cup break starts, so that the new manager has time to work with the squad without games.

I think that would be a massive mistake.  Just throwing more points away for the sake of it.

Better to be decisive in my opinion.  I’m seriously questioning going to future games at the moment and I’ve paid for a season ticket.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I think that would be a massive mistake.  Just throwing more points away for the sake of it.

Better to be decisive in my opinion.  I’m seriously questioning going to future games at the moment and I’ve paid for a season ticket.

I am weirdly fascinated by the car crash viewing that happens when we are really terrible.

Like that Doncaster game when we had 14000 in the stadium and our fans in the Northam were fighting each other.

Or the Ipswich game when the whole ground stood up and sung "Swing Lowe"

Got to take the rough with the smooth being a football fan. It's what makes the good times so much sweeter.

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I am weirdly fascinated by the car crash viewing that happens when we are really terrible.

Like that Doncaster game when we had 14000 in the stadium and our fans in the Northam were fighting each other.

Or the Ipswich game when the whole ground stood up and sung "Swing Lowe"

Got to take the rough with the smooth being a football fan. It's what makes the good times so much sweeter.

That’s true, but everyone has their breaking point.

4 hours ago, Golactico said:

Dyche for me. People need to get real - we are Saints. Premiership survival is success. The odd big club scalp and the occasional flirtation with the higher end of the table is a bonus. Dyche is a good bet to deliver all of this.

I completely agree, realistic possibility, knows how to play in the PL with meagre resources and won't f up. Still worshipped by Clarets fans according to cousin.