The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

3 minutes ago, John B said:

We want some decent players not a dead beat manager like Smith who was sacked by Villa 

A striker who could score goals for instance would be a start

The summer has given us the basis of a very good young squad, all we need is someone to finish off good build up and we will be in the top half

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kwsaint said:

When NA was sacked, Saints management had spent weeks lining up MP.  Hopefully current management are doing something similar - quietly lining up Ralph's replacement so that they can get the new manager in immediately.  My money is on that the switch will take place when the world cup break starts, so that the new manager has time to work with the squad without games.

They might as well appoint Daniel Farke to get them out of the Championship in 2023/24 if they wait that long as they will several points adrift at the bottom. This manager is a total busted flush and has all the enthusiasm and spark left of a British Leyland showroom salesman circa 1978. They’ve already left themselves at the stages of snookers by throwing away cheap wins to Wolves (the only one out of 15 games for sacked Lage), Villa and Everton through being as stubborn as the failing manager.

SR and Semmens cocked it up in the summer, you’ve changed the coaching staff and 50% of the squad. It’s still total shit and still they cling onto Ralph. Yes, the lack of a striker was a huge fuck up but a new manager bounce might keep them in touch with other clubs by early January to get a clutch of striker and winger loans/signings to have a go at staying up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John B said:

We want some decent players not a dead beat manager like Smith who was sacked by Villa 

I'm not asking for Dean Smith. Just making the point that the Thomas Frank comparison to Selles is moronic.

Frank was at Brentford for two years, not five minutes like Selles, and was integral to a club on the up, not a club in the shit. 

I know there are some people that want to go on and on about Selles being some bloody messiah but the Thomas Frank comparisons are ridiculous.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

Pochettino took over midseason, four matches after we were sat 18th under Adkins following a loss to Sunderland and draws with Fulham and Stoke, which was probably when the decision to make the quick changeover was made. We then beat Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City under Pochettino that season, staying up comfortably in 14th. Had the same squad as Adkins, but got the players working harder. The players still played for Adkins, but Pochettino got them fitter with double training sessions and getting them to press the opposition.

Hasenhuttl took over mid season, we were 18th with one win in 16. Again, we stayed up fairly comfortably, in 16th, winning 8 of those last 22, including wins against Arsenal and Tottenham. Had the same squad as Hughes, but got the players working harder and getting them to press the opposition.

Noticing a pattern. Even Hughes got the players showing a bit more heart when he took over late on, although couldn't get much worse than Pellegrino.

So, it isn't rocket science. We're not going to get a January transfer window like Newcastle did, which saw their sudden upturn alongside postponing fixtures to a later date. We need to employ someone who's going to get the squad working hard again and making up for the lesser talent with higher desire and work rate. The good times under Hasenhuttl have been very good and for many of us we've been clinging onto those hoping they'd come back. But, for over half a year now, we're still turning up second best. Everything that was good under Hasenhuttl has been scrapped. The press? Non-existent, even with five subs now. 4-2-2-2? Deviations of it, and a failed three at the back formation. Coaching players through games, during lockdown football all you could hear was Hasenhuttl? Stands on the side-lines now with his arms crossed.

Something's changed, we're not the same side anymore and after changing the players, the coaches, even the owners, the only thing left is the manager and I'm getting tired of this football. I'd rather we still turned up for 45 minutes and lost than this current serving.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Why do you think he could provide that? The end of his tenure here was just as bad as Ralph’s.

What a load of bull. You’re full of shite.

We keep hearing this pony about about “the end” of Claude’s spell. It’s just not backed up with facts.

In May alone we drew away at Anfield, lost to Arsenal, drew with Manchester Utd and beat Middlesbrough, before a disappointing last day defeat. That’s it really, losing to Stoke & a boring 0-0 with Hull in April were the only sub par results towards the end.

In April we only got beat by Man C & Chelsea but the weeks preceding that we stuffed 4 past Sunderland & Watford in consecutive away games.

Since the first week of Feb our only defeats were to Spurs, Chelsea, Man C, Arsenal & Stoke. Yet you and your like weren’t happy… Customers, bloody hell…..

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of bull. You’re full of shite.

We keep hearing this pony about about “the end” of Claude’s spell. It’s just not backed up with facts.

In May alone we drew away at Anfield, lost to Arsenal, drew with Manchester Utd and beat Middlesbrough, before a disappointing last day defeat. That’s it really, losing to Stoke & a boring 0-0 with Hull in April were the only sub par results towards the end.

In April we only got beat by Man C & Chelsea but the weeks preceding that we stuffed 4 past Sunderland & Watford in consecutive away games.

Since the first week of Feb our only defeats were to Spurs, Chelsea, Man C, Arsenal & Stoke. Yet you and your like weren’t happy… Customers, bloody hell…..

That’s the problem with the I demand entertainment wallies. Selective memories. The stuff being served up now is not only boring and shit it’s also end of last season and start of this our worst run of results since returning to the premier league. Worse than Hughes, Pellegrino and miles worse than Puel. No way is it “just as bad” no way, it’s miles miles worse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Pochettino took over midseason, four matches after we were sat 18th under Adkins following a loss to Sunderland and draws with Fulham and Stoke, which was probably when the decision to make the quick changeover was made. We then beat Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City under Pochettino that season, staying up comfortably in 14th. Had the same squad as Adkins, but got the players working harder. The players still played for Adkins, but Pochettino got them fitter with double training sessions and getting them to press the opposition.

No, not having this for an accurate assessment. Adkins was a dead man walking from the start of the season, Di Matteo got interviewed early on and Cortese made it clear Adkins was a goner. Saints had an appalling start to the season, lost 8/10, but Adkins was turning it round on his own. Not saying he’d have been better than MP, he wouldn’t have been. But in the 11 games before he was sacked, Adkins team scored 17 points. He’d got the team playing alright and they were doing well, draws against Chelsea and Arsenal in his last few games plus an away win at Villa. We were unbeaten in 5 league games when Adkins got the gun.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

No, not having this for an accurate assessment. Adkins was a dead man walking from the start of the season, Di Matteo got interviewed early on and Cortese made it clear Adkins was a goner. Saints had an appalling start to the season, lost 8/10, but Adkins was turning it round on his own. Not saying he’d have been better than MP, he wouldn’t have been. But in the 11 games before he was sacked, Adkins team scored 17 points. He’d got the team playing alright and they were doing well, draws against Chelsea and Arsenal in his last few games plus an away win at Villa.

IIRC adkins was sacked when we were 15th and that was where we finished.  

Clearly Pochetino was a far better manager but Adkins had turned it round after an awful start and we were doing alright. You’re right about Di Matteo and Cortese had actually wanted rid of Adkins after we lost against Reading in the championship which effectively cost us the title. 

• Like 1

Has anyone suggested a dream ticket appointment? They used to be all the rage and I think it’s time to give it a go. Obviously Theo Walcott is ideal as the (non) player manager but he’s going to need an older wiser head to advise and you don’t get much wiser than Dennis Wise; it’s literally his fucking name, talk about nominative determinism! 
Call me a crazy sky blue thinker but I think it might just work.

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

No, not having this for an accurate assessment. Adkins was a dead man walking from the start of the season, Di Matteo got interviewed early on and Cortese made it clear Adkins was a goner. Saints had an appalling start to the season, lost 8/10, but Adkins was turning it round on his own. Not saying he’d have been better than MP, he wouldn’t have been. But in the 11 games before he was sacked, Adkins team scored 17 points. He’d got the team playing alright and they were doing well, draws against Chelsea and Arsenal in his last few games plus an away win at Villa. We were unbeaten in 5 league games when Adkins got the gun.

You're right - Poch was clearly the better manager, but the manner in which the club ditched Nigel always bothered me. We were improving, and there were very real signs that he was turning things around. Plus, as the man who guided us to the Prem, I honestly thought Nigel deserved a season in the top flight. Add to that that Poch clearly had no problems negotiating behind Nigel's back, as he was ready to go the moment the trigger was pulled, in contrast to, say, Strachan, who reportedly refused to discuss the job while Stuart Gray was still in place.

• Like 2

Thomas Frank. 

• Shown he's tactically flexible with his team playing four and three at the back this season, as have we
  • Relationship with Rasmus Ankersen already established
  • Clearly a very good man-manager which we've been lacking
  • Get a sense he's taken Brentford as far as he realistically can so would want a new challenge
  • Watch this: 

2 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Thomas Frank. 

• Shown he's tactically flexible with his team playing four and three at the back this season, as have we
  • Get a sense he's taken Brentford as far as he realistically can so would want a new challenge
  • Watch this: 

Not normally are business model to go for managers who already have a job. Having said that, be a huge statement of intent from SR if we did go for him. Suspect he would have a compensation clause in his contract. If we met it who knows if he would fancy thr challenge.

25 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Thomas Frank. 

• Watch this: 

Why would he leave Brentford?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DT said:

Why would he leave Brentford?

We're a bigger club and money talks. Our clown is on 4 x his current salary at Brentford. Footballing wise it might seem like a step back at the moment but there's no reason with the right man in charge we can't finish above his current club on a regular basis. 

Edited by Saint_lambden
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Brentford forum are talking about Leicester nicking him wen Rodgers gets the sack. We don’t get a mention on there of Frank coming to us ..

Yes, Leicester more likely I'd have thought. But we do have a connection of sorts with Frank so here's hoping

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Yes, Leicester more likely I'd have thought. But we do have a connection of sorts with Frank so here's hoping

I could see them going in for Rafa. I think Wolves is a more likely destination for Frank than Leicester.

We’re not getting Thomas Franks. Why would he leave Brentford who are doing very well for a team that’s constantly flirting with relegation? I wouldn’t.

Rafa Benitez - no thank you. Like a Spanish Sam Alladyce, not exciting football, yes he probably sort the defence out but our attacking threat would be nullified. He would equally ask for too much money and want too much control I imagine.
(I think our attacking play is good, it’s the problem of not finishing the chances, a constant issue since the departures of Ings and before him Pellè).

Someone said AVB? No idea what he has done for the past decade.

Pochettino - dreamy, great relationship with the fans, good back room team, would unite the club but again would demand too much money and deserves to be at a much better club than us.

Deep down I think it’ll be an obscure appointment that no one saw coming. A bit like Brighton’s recently. The Mainz manager is Danish and has been highly praised in the German media for their progressive style of football so there is a SR link there.

Who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like Ralph, I like his style of football and his approach but if the players have lost trust in him and seem to have no real relationship with him, and multiple sources seem to confirm this then I feel his position is untenable and the board probably should have done this in the summer.

We have a very young team, a very talented but raw team, not a huge amount of leaders or older heads in that team so encouraging, building up, etc. those young players is going to need to come from the coaching staff and primarily the manager, if he's not doing that then that is alarming. Also his style of football is all in, it requires players committed to it and giving their all, if they are not fully trusting the manager they won't be doing that and we'll be losing the fine margins. 

For new manager I have no idea, on part history I think it's unlikely to be someone obvious.  I can't see us prying away someone like Frank, appealing to Poch's sentimentality as a dream appointment but very highly unlikely. 

As long as it's not someone in the Hughes mould, which I think Benitez or Dyche would essentially count as, they would suggest short term thinking and not be a good fit, I think our board has shown better than that so far so they likely have some obvious contingency planning going on. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Kraken said:

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

IIRC adkins was sacked when we were 15th and that was where we finished.  

Clearly Pochetino was a far better manager but Adkins had turned it round after an awful start and we were doing alright. You’re right about Di Matteo and Cortese had actually wanted rid of Adkins after we lost against Reading in the championship which effectively cost us the title. 

I believe both of these posts are correct. One thing I rarely see mentioned regarding Adkins, was that he himself (can't remember where, but I saw it around Oct/Nov time, i.e. when things were picking up) admitted that he had been shocked by the leap in standard between the Championship and the Premier League when Saints arrived, and said something like "All of us, the team, staff, and especially me, realised how hard we are going to have to work". I thought it was to his credit to admit that.

Personally, I would have given him longer, based on that. But we all know what Nicola was like, and Pochettino wasn't a failure here...

• Like 1

Just now, Wurzel said:

Surprised Joachim Low has been without a job since England knocked Germany out of the Euros last year. Is that through his own choice? Could we persuade him to have a bash at the Premier League?

At least if the footballs boring we can watch him sniff his fingers in the dugout 👍

• Haha 2