Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

Edmonton Saint

4 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

This is the thing for mine

as someone pointed out during the week, the majority of this team was the same team that absolutely played spurs off the park in probably the slickest saints performance I can remember, now the only thing we can with any slickness is concede soft goals

i have also mentioned on here a few times, how good so many of our players looked in their first 5-10 games here compared to what they evolved into, Djenepo scored goals, Aarmstromg had a couple of goals and multiple assists, Theo had goals and assists, when Ely looked competent when he returned from Celtic, Aribo had a couple of early goals.

I just don’t see how it’s possible for all of these players to disintegrate if all is anywhere near well behind the scenes

I agree and have said similar previous. Numerous players have joined us got off to good starts then regressed. It can’t be coincidence that time after time mainly attacking players go backwards after “learning our way of playing”

• Like 3

8 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Watching MOTD - that Che one on one chance, where the f**k was everyone else…………..oh yeah look, there’s Aribo just ambling up to support. 

I just saw that, absolutely criminal. Adams looks up twice as his angles are narrowing. No-one there... ridiculous.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I just saw that, absolutely criminal. Adams looks up twice as his angles are narrowing. No-one there... ridiculous.

Yep. Disgraceful. We're in the shit and he just ambles upfield. We need players who'll bust a gut for the cause, not luxury players like Aribo who aren't as good as they think they are. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, The Kraken said:

It’s worse than that. We’ve basically sold a whole team and not replaced them. The formation below is based on the players who made the most appearances in season 2015-16, when we finished sixth. How many of our current players get in that side? You could maybe argue JWP if he’s having a good day, and argue about KWP I suppose, but that’s about it. Shane Long is on the bench, he only started 23 games that season and scored 10 league goals. We’ve been decimated with below average replacements since.

HuYL2z7.jpg

If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Micky said:

This nightmares done.  There is no real fight or quality in what we can put on the pitch, we are going out without so much as a whimper.  The championship is no place for players like ours. 

Just as well as they will all think they are far too good for the championship even though that's their level at best! 

50 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I agree and have said similar previous. Numerous players have joined us got off to good starts then regressed. It can’t be coincidence that time after time mainly attacking players go backwards after “learning our way of playing”

Clearly very bad coaching regimes at the club, to add to all the other absolutely rotten elements. Need a total cleanse. Again. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t really know what DCC has done to not be in the first team.

We were better at the back when he played a couple of months ago.

Lyanco is crap. Salisu has been out of form for most of 2022. ABK is young and has been injured but is the best to partner DCC right now.

This. So many weird omissions at the moment that only make us suspicious about deals and agents. Never good when that happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Can anyone who was there report what the fans reaction was towards Mr Jones and the the players at Full Time?

Polite applause, the team really rallied in the 2nd half and the fans respected that.

Could also be viewed as grim acceptance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Polite applause, the team really rallied in the 2nd half and the fans respected that.

can you possibly clarify whether Perraud played left back from the off, or did he start further forward before dropping back? There were mixed opinions from earlier posters.

Also, there is a lot of criticism about that sub, did you feel at the time that we were on top and needed to go all in or more that that period of `domination' had passed and we needed to regain control somehow?

Is their much clamour from Saints away fans to play Mara?

16 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I was down in row K and when ABK came over to throw his shirt to a fan he got some real abuse from certain people. Edozie got a good reception, Prowsey too. Others didn’t come over, Jones included who clapped us for all of 5 seconds as he walked off. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

can you possibly clarify whether Perraud played left back from the off, or did he start further forward before dropping back? There were mixed opinions from earlier posters.

Also, there is a lot of criticism about that sub, did you feel at the time that we were on top and needed to go all in or more that that period of `domination' had passed and we needed to regain control somehow?

He came on and started high up, left wing, almost as a like for like replacement for Edoize.

Wasn't long though until he dropped back a bit and it then seemed like 5 at the back.

No clamour for Mara that I've heard.

Away fans good yesterday, not too much moaning although obviously there was some. Atmosphere wasn't toxic like, for example, Brentford last season.

Songs were mostly supportive apart from the "never win at home and never win away" chant that came out a couple of times and "we're fucking shit" as a response to Fulham singing "you're fucking shit" (one of the only times they actually bothered to sing)

Jones has a song too, the one that goes Super Nathan Jones, something something, with Sali at the back and Adams in attack we'll move up the Premier League.

Edited by The Cat
  • Haha 1

Really disappointed again to be let down by inability to defend our box.  Can forgive first goal which was a flukey deflection.  Yesterday to my mind epitomised why we are set to go down unless urgent attention in transfer window.  Didn’t take any of our chances, scored a wonder free kick, and then concede late on.  And it also typified Lyanco who was in my opinion absolutely excellent for 90 minutes and then has a total brain fart leading to the penalty.  He has all the skills bar ability to concentrate for a whole game, and that won’t do at this level.

Good to see KWP getting back close to where he was pre-injury, a better performance from JWP, AMN and Moi plus Edozie continues to impress, other than shooting!

Definitely an improvement in terms of organisation and effort, which should both be a given.  These next three league games could see us cut adrift if we don’t pick up minimum four points, and hopefully more, against Forest, Everton and Villa.

The feature of our play that stood out and worried me most was our singular lack of ability to hold onto the ball as individuals and to make controlled precision passes to team mates only a few yards away. Everything yesterday was rushed and decidedly panicky, hurried at breakneck speed as if the ball was a grenade about to explode in a pass the parcel game. Inevitably precision went out the window and moves never got a chance to get going before the opposition were at our throats again. Only KWP seems to have remembered how to do this and even he is a shadow of his former self of 12 months ago.

Nobody seems to want the ball anymore or have the ability to hang onto it to allow team mates to find good positions. Unsurprisingly our possession statistics were pathetic. We used to be so much better at this short fast but highly controlled inter-passing game that often got us out of trouble in defence and helped build attacks. Above all we could dominate play through possession and frequently put teams under the cosh for long periods.

Let's face it owning the ball is the key to winning matches yet we seem to have totally lost our understanding of how to do this or the necessary skills to stamp our authority on games. You certainly don't see the likes of Man City or Arsenal rushing about like headless chickens missing passes at the speed of light.

Time Mr Jones to give the players a ball each every morning and develop their ball skills. Making them run around for a couple of hours with it would also help them get to know what they are looking for on match days.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DT said:

This. So many weird omissions at the moment that only make us suspicious about deals and agents. Never good when that happens.

Stu Armstrong another one for me. We clearly play better with him.

When the likes of Djenepo, A. Armstrong, Elyounoussi etc are starting ahead of you there must be some weird problems behind the scenes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Nobody seems to want the ball anymore or have the ability to hang onto it to allow team mates to find good positions. Unsurprisingly our possession statistics were pathetic. We used to be so much better at this short fast but highly controlled inter-passing game that often got us out of trouble in defence and helped build attacks. Above all we could dominate play through possession and frequently put teams under the cosh for long periods.

I am guessing you were not one of those on here moaning for the last five years about too much backwards or square passing? 

I'm normally very keen to see us dominate possession too. However, although we saw far less of the ball and were more direct yesterday, I didn't feel like we were under the cosh too much and it provided the space we needed to cause them a few problems on the break. 

When we did pass it, and got between the lines, we looked a bit more effective than in recent times. Maybe that says more about the limitations of Fulham though.

33 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Stu Armstrong another one for me. We clearly play better with him.

S Armstrong gets a massive pass on this forum. We all like him, the way he gets his head down and makes bursting runs between the lines, but in all honesty, he hasn't really done much for a long time. He has had his injury problems of course, but considering how shit we have been, if you can't hold down a place then is that not down to him not impressing rather than the two managers ignoring him?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

S Armstrong gets a massive pass on this forum. We all like him, the way he gets his head down and makes bursting runs between the lines, but in all honesty, he hasn't really done much for a long time. He has had his injury problems of course, but considering how shit we have been, if you can't hold down a place then is that not down to him not impressing rather than the two managers ignoring him?

It’s the forum MO. Those not playing are our best players.

37 minutes ago, Chez said:

He’s been crap for a while. But I’d say he’s a lot better than what’s currently at our disposal in Djenepo, Armstrong etc.

6 hours ago, Chez said:

KWP went to RB so I guess Pereud went LB but he was a long way forward. It was all a bit confusing tbh. That tell its own story. All went downhill from there.

We were on top but that was due to aggressive fast play. No way could they maintain that. It really looked like Jones was playing for the draw, visibly took a step back. Became reactive not proactive. Dangerous strategy.

No clamour for Mara, big cheers for Armstrong. Crowd were pumped from the purple patch and goal. Good vibes all round. Just wanted more of the same.

The end was annoying but shouldn't let it overshadow a spirited 2nd half.

What we haven't talked is just how well Fulham defended. Way above our lot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, InvictaSaint said:

I was down in row K and when ABK came over to throw his shirt to a fan he got some real abuse from certain people. Edozie got a good reception, Prowsey too. Others didn’t come over, Jones included who clapped us for all of 5 seconds as he walked off. 

I was up in Row BB, fighting my way out so missed that. Seemed like they all got out of there pretty quickly.

Watching the game, we seem to have gone from playing good football under Ralph to third division hoofing. However, if that gets us out of relegation position I can live with that for a while. Changing the manager had had no effect whatsoever as most of us knew it is the players lack of quality that is the problem. I watched Che's usual miss again and  to a lesser extent Odosie's and Perraud's that sums up our capabilities. If it is true that our players have watched videos of Fulham's set pieces, as claimed by NJ, they really have nothing between their ears for the second goal. 

2 hours ago, rooney said:

Watching the game, we seem to have gone from playing good football under Ralph to third division hoofing. However, if that gets us out of relegation position I can live with that for a while. Changing the manager had had no effect whatsoever as most of us knew it is the players lack of quality that is the problem. I watched Che's usual miss again and  to a lesser extent Odosie's and Perraud's that sums up our capabilities. If it is true that our players have watched videos of Fulham's set pieces, as claimed by NJ, they really have nothing between their ears for the second goal. 

I must of missed that game. We’ve been going down hill for a long time.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We haven’t played “good football “ for about 18 months….

That isn’t true. We played some good 45 minutes under Ralph in the last 18 months without necessarily getting anything from the games. I didn’t see the Fulham game but my brother is a season ticket holder there and said he has seen far worse sides than us there this season and stated what most of us already know, we don’t put our chances away. Losing,like winning, becomes a habit. We don’t have a bad squad (apart from being short of a decent finisher) but the confidence has been shot for a while and we have become used to losing. Whether we manage to stay up depends on finding the two or three right signings who can add that missing bit of steel and quality into the team. Losing Lavia was clearly a massive blow but the long term loss of me player should effect a team the way this has effected us. We do have the players to play football rather than just hoof and hope. We just have to hope that we can bring the right players in and that Jones can find a way to get points on the board.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2023 at 11:43, saintant said:

The Lyanco incident was comical defending and that alone is enough to prove he should be nowhere near the first team.

The only problem with that is that one wise owl or another on here has said exactly the same about every single player in our line-up bar KWP.

None of them apparently "fit to wear the shirt" and "should be nowhere near the first team" and "never want to see them in a Saints shirt again"

Maybe you know the answer to this conundrum cos sure as eggs it's got me stumped.