Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

Edmonton Saint

34 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He’s part of the problem as things stand.

Probably realised he’ll have to spend some money now.

This is a big moment for him.

Genius or fraud?

He has a good rep from his Brentford days, but was he just benefitting from others around him or is he really as good as is made out?

Big month. But the managerial call he’s already got wrong. And I’m not against NJ, it just wasn’t the right appointment.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 2

Our spirit and mentality is fragile, and our confidence in our play is too. Having said this, there were some positives to take from the game.

I think we were unlucky, and deserved at least a point. We need to build up some confidence, but sadly we are in a position where we simply don't have time and need to be picking up points from games like this.

Again, it just underlines the absolute clusterfuck of a board we have overseeing affairs. They profess to be gurus who are reinventing the way to govern football clubs. In reality they are a bunch of posers that have fucked us right over as a club. The holes in the squad are clear to see for us all, and probably for Ralph, but did they fucking invest in those areas with decent players? Nah.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Genius or fraud?

He has a good rep from his Brentford days, but was he just benefitting from others around him or is he really as good as is made out?

Big month. But the managerial call he’s already got wrong. And I’m not against NJ, it just wasn’t the right appointment.

Göztepe President Rasmus Ankersen: “As the Sport Republic company, we first acquired Southampton. Göztepe is a bigger club than Southampton. We started from a small club and moved on to a big club.”

He's trying to prove he's right, ain't he?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

We're down aren't we 

I thought we were when I watched us at Villa Park. It was the worst I’d seen in years, and we’ve been even worse at times since (Sheff Wed, Lincoln, Newcastle, Everton, Brighton, Liverpool). We’ve squeaked a win and a draw v League one sides at home and been spanked elsewhere. It’s a good indication of our level.

We are utterly terrible at the moment. We were  actually better today but still lost, are still bottom, still don’t look like scoring in open play, still have dreadful errors at the back and are mentally weak.

Not even worth wasting an ounce of hope on this lot until or unless we have the mother of all transfer windows (and by that I don’t mean recalling a couple of centre backs from loan). This team, as it is, is down.

Edited by Chewy
To reflect actual result b Sheff Wed)
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Genius or fraud?

Yeah because all of our summer transfers were free...

Played well and can see the implementation of tactics from the manager. Thought our play looked quicker than before, playing off Adams and good interchange between the attackers. BUT the biggest problem remains the lack of match winners all over the pitch, we need either a leader at the back to organise and sort out things like the 2 set plays today, a worldie of a keeper or an attacker or two who has the ability to be ruthless when we're on top. We've got none of those. That needs to change before any manager does (I include both the last and current one in that). 

• Like 2

We were poor at the end of last season. Then SR/Semmens failed to get at least one decent striker. Then Jones was appointed. Proverbial nails in the Saints EPL coffin. It’s over for us and with some frankly frightening games/results on the horizon, it could be history making for all the wrong reasons.

Is there a way out? Doubtful, but a new name experienced manager, 4-5 starting players with great credentials and a lot of luck might cut it. Not expecting any of those things to happen.

• Like 2

Well if the Brighton game had a whiff of Relegation about it, this had a full blown stench of it.

Didn't play badly, missed the usual chances, gave away a sloppy goal in the 89th min to lose the game at a team we need to be competing with. It's 2005 all over again.

I don't like being defeatist as I try to be positive, but this is the first time in a long time that I struggle to see a way out for us. I can't even see a glimmer. I see the same issues every week, Adams hitting the keeper with a shot, players lacking leadership to see a game out, the same weird squad selections because the team is so unbalanced and the same brain-dumb decisions by the players in our team. We might have some talented individuals, but christ they are thick as all fuck.

We need to go into the January window and spend money on some Uni graduates or something, just get some common sense into the group as they are just dumb. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Played well and can see the implementation of tactics from the manager. Thought our play looked quicker than before, playing off Adams and good interchange between the attackers. BUT the biggest problem remains the lack of match winners all over the pitch, we need either a leader at the back to organise and sort out things like the 2 set plays today, a worldie of a keeper or an attacker or two who has the ability to be ruthless when we're on top. We've got none of those. That needs to change before any manager does (I include both the last and current one in that). 

Bloody hell. Im sat on the train hone from the game reading the bollocks on here wondering if i had watched a different game.

comments above pretty much mirror my thoughts. The team certainly had some fight as well and clearly havent given up on the manager like most if the fans.

the fact is we need 2/3  new players and  if they come in quick enough we have a chance.

Endozie had a decent game but was done and fortunately we hd no options on the be ch to replace him.

certainly less farting around at the back draining the tempo out if the game.

unlucky not to get a point and hopefully not too disheartened.

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Genius or fraud?

If true, this gestures at the problem imo. What you can get away with in a team that's on the up (like Brentford) isn't what you can get away with for a team that's in decline.

It's much much harder to turn a sinking ship around than start afresh - but in their hubris I don't think they understood this. The appointment of Jones might well have been savvy at Brentford or Brighton - but it was madness for Saints. 

• Like 2

Had our efforts at goal gone in today life would look very different ...

Loan 2 strikers and today our future games could look so different , we were not outplayed today on the pitch . But we were let down with our lack of being able to score . A problem common now to Ralph and NJ.  Any manager needs the tools to do the job .. bring on the transfer window or we say hello championship !

• Like 1

What a bunch of giver-uppers! It was a better performance and the team were a little unlucky overall.

Saints need a striker- we know that. The team will play better and win. A new striker will bring confidence and once  we get the points rolling against Forest, we will see Saints begin to climb the table. Other teams will begin to drop.

As supporters we vent our fury, quite rightly sometimes, but now we need to get behind the team, staff and even board. I still believe this season can turn around... but we NEED to buy a striker who can get us some goals quickly. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, It's There said:

What a bunch of giver-uppers! It was a better performance and the team were a little unlucky overall.

Saints need a striker- we know that. The team will play better and win. A new striker will bring confidence and once  we get the points rolling against Forest, we will see Saints begin to climb the table. Other teams will begin to drop.

As supporters we vent our fury, quite rightly sometimes, but now we need to get behind the team, staff and even board. I still believe this season can turn around... but we NEED to buy a striker who can get us some goals quickly. 

I agree with all of this. We need a top quality striker in immediately to boost us and who can get us some goals quickly and we will climb the table. We were unlucky today. Prowsey with another special free kick :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

Saints didnt play badly today. Unfortunately was as close to a must win game as we'll get this season, but Fulham are a decent side at the moment.

As many have said, Adams doesnt seem to suit playing as a lone man up top, and so far doesnt look like the man to fill Ings' boots (by a long way)

The signs arent great, but for large parts of the game we looked like the better team today. We conceeded easy goals and, yet again, that was our downfall.

Glad to see Edozie playing and winning free kicks around the box, something that shoud be a top priority with JWP everpresent in our team.

January transfer window will be absolutely cruical to our survival, but we're not down yet.

All those currently giving our own players a hard time & saying relegation is guaranteed just so they can smugly say "i told you so" at the end of the season really aren't helping the cause.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Aribo by the way - WTF?

I thought he was supposed to be decent, good first touch, top player in the SPL etc - but he looks inept. Not sure if it's confidence/lack of playing time or he is an absolute dud.

his touch and balls skills are fine, it's everything else that is the problem. The pace, sharpness, the movement and the energy. If he was a big lad playing up front that you could perhaps play off, maybe you could find a place for him in the side, but he ain't that, so I struggle to see a role for him. We have carried him all season. He's had enough chances now. 

• Like 2

When you score some of the chances you’re given the team can play a bit more freely. Currently the team is missing and missing and look on edge as they don’t want to lose. New striker or someone who can actually put the ball in the net with a decent chance and the team will hopefully all relax a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's There said:

Hate to appear negative but the trajectory of this team has been downwards for months and months - it’s not a new phenomenon. Jones has not got the experience, the respect of the squad or the resources to turn this around and one new striker, unless perhaps we spend £40m+ on a really prolific known scorer, will make that change. While the maths tells us that there’s still a chance I guess there’s a chance, but we were looking like dead cert relegation fodder months ago.

8 minutes ago, It's There said:

I think people just call out what they see in front of them to be honest, the players are certainly a bunch of giver-uppers so why should we do anything else.

This isn't a new thing, or something that has haunted us for 6 months, it's been years of the same complete repetitiveness and it's just become incredibly soulless.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, It's There said:

Oh come on, we’ve only won  7 games league games out 35 matches this year and only 4 since the 2nd March. We are awful. The rot has sent in for a while, slowly stripped of all its quality, run by a couple of clowns who openly state that they don’t care where we finish in the league and are more interested in the womens team! A succession of poor decisions, arrogance, distain for the fan base and failure are coming how to roost. The board have got what they deserve. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I agree with all of this. We need a top quality striker in immediately to boost us and who can get us some goals quickly and we will climb the table. We were unlucky today. Prowsey with another special free kick :)

We keep saying we need a top quality striker but a top quality striker won’t join us

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

Should have got a point from that. I thought Fulham were poor, we weren't great but we put in more effort, worked hard and it seemed the tactics were being stuck to and the players were carrying them out.

Great celebration in the away end for the goal. And what a goal it was. Our fans were decent today.

Didn't understand why Lyanco was kept on in the second half, could have taken him off for Perraud if we were going to a flat back 4.

Aribo is a waste of a shirt. No idea how he gets in the team, even when he was pushed alongside Adams in the second half Adams was still playing up front on his own.

Frustrating to leave the ground with nothing. They scored a lucky deflection and then a basic set piece that should have been defended better and was also from a corner needlessly given away. 

• Like 1

Before the game I wanted effort, energy and at least some element of structure and plan.

We had that.

What we lacked was quality upfront. Fandab is going to be great, but shouldn't be our main creative influence. Not yet.

Lyanco is a liability. I really love his passion and personality, but he's a liability.

We need attacking options and another CM or we're down.

We're probably down anyway, but I do feel better than after Lincoln and Brighton. Fail to beat Forest and that's the last nail I think. Must win game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Optimistic beat forest and we can build some momentum it's not over yet.

Obviously need a few need lads in

Just had a look through the fixtures in terms of what we have left, we're going to need to win pretty much every one of the so called winnable ones to get close to 40 points. And so far we're not doing too well at that, as I looked at Brighton and Fulham as two of those winnable ones.

There really isn't much time left and the fixtures, bar our favourable run between now and Feb, are tough.

I thought we saw signs of improvement today, some nice pass and move as well as more fight and vigour. Pleased to see JWP score (his second not first lol) as can't do any harm to his confidence or that the team.

Each individual made mistakes, but then doesn't every team, it's just at the moment it seems so called fans latch on to these and pillory the player not very support-ish if you ask me!

As for NJ, it's early days, I have no idea if he is the right appointment but what is done is done. As the saying goes - Roma (sic) wasn't built in a day.  

Clearly things today were better than against Brighton and I suspect he is learning with every game who can hack it and who can't. Albeit I accept that we may run out of time before he knows his final 11, has them is bedded in and working as a functioning unit. 

The upcoming window will be crucial, be it loanees or contracted players we clearly need a striker (preferably two) and a more experienced, natural leader to assist both on the pitch and in the dressing room. Extras in midfield would be a bonus but the need is clear - striker, striker, striker.

One query I do have for NJ is why S Armstrong isn't starting as it seems to me that today his introduction was one of the defining moments that signalled a notable improvement. Perhaps his fitness is an issue, if not then for me it is a quandary.

To those on here who are already calling for NJs sacking, give some thought to his situation.  He knew there were 'issues' as did we and the club hierarchy.
He has inherited those players and like Ralph is no doubt questioning who is up for the relegation battle, who is there only for the money along with this are disillusioned after having been sold the fantasy of Saints being a shop window..

Keep the faith for if we jettison NJ, no one will be coming to us as we'll be adopting the 'Watford way' in respect of management appointments.

We have the games, we just need one or two players and supporters who support.

• Like 3

How the fuck after 2 PL games can any of this be Jones fault, the players signed and contract extensions by previous management and current and previous owners have been poor as fuck, Jones biggest mistake was saying yes to the job offer in the first place . 

Feels like he's been thrown to the lions and getting the brunt of the shite dished up by Ralph over previous 2 seasons yet some blindly stood behind him including the board even though he was a useless prick for atleast 2 seasons but  apparently he was a" likeable bloke "... personally I would rather win football matches. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tanlee said:

How the fuck after 2 PL games can any of this be Jones fault, the players signed and contract extensions by previous management and current and previous owners have been poor as fuck, Jones biggest mistake was saying yes to the job offer in the first place . 

Feels like he's been thrown to the lions and getting the brunt of the shite dished up by Ralph over previous 2 seasons yet some blindly stood behind him including the board even though he was a useless prick for atleast 2 seasons but  apparently he was a" likeable bloke "... personally I would rather win football matches. 

Agreed this isn't Jones' fault and the blame should be taken off him. The reason for this mess is the poor quality of player at our disposal, thanks to the plans set out by semmens et al. There has seemingly been a change in style from Ralph however as now not only do we not create chances from open play, we are also not being able to hold the ball for all of 5 seconds with 30ish% possession.

6 minutes ago, Tanlee said:

Jones isn’t a likeable bloke and he doesn’t win football matches, so even better. 

• Like 2

We were unlucky today but most relegated teams are. 

I thought the ref was incredibly lenient. Reed and Paulinha just bring people down if an attack breaks out. An early booking might have blunted their effectiveness. Having said that, Lyanco and ABK got away with a lot too. 

Unfortunately, Jones doesn't seem to trust S Armstrong so we are left with the useless Aribo. We need another midfielder in the transfer window who is better than Aribo. And someone who can score, obviously. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Aribo by the way - WTF?

I thought he was supposed to be decent, good first touch, top player in the SPL etc - but he looks inept. Not sure if it's confidence/lack of playing time or he is an absolute dud.

Dud. I was worried when his numbers in Scotland weren't even as good as Elyounoussi's.

At the price, I don't knock the club for taking a punt.

But he's absolute shite. Slow, unenergetic - just a plodding passenger who has seemingly hoodwinked a few into believing that the rare occasions where he doesn't get tangled up in his own legs is some kind of technical mastery.

Where does he belong? Can't play on the wing, too slow. Can't play as a 10, creates fuck all. Can't play in midfield, doesn't tackle, run, pass, or really get involved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

You make your own luck. We are where we deserve to be. We miss one on ones every game and concede bad goals every game. This seaon is turning out to be a replica of 2004/05 when we were relegated. We had Lowe in charge then, I am beginning to think that Ankergen and Semmens have similar egos to Lowe and there lies alot of the problem. The club is a total mess from top to bottom.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tanlee said:

This isn’t Jones’ fault and it wasn’t Ralph’s, this squad isn’t good enough to stay in the league. Some people are clamouring for Dyche, if he was here we’d have the same problems, the same results and everyone would be saying, "we picked the man who got Burnley relegated FFS!” There isn’t a managerial solution to all of this. 

• Like 1