Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

Edmonton Saint

thought we fought hard and for periods looked half decent. Che should have scored early on. Could have made a big difference. Far too many one on one chances are not taken in games. When we pressed Fulham struggled. When Edozie and Che got tired we faded. So badly need genuine forward options to keep that energy up. NJ needs signings done quick.

Thought Lyanco cost us a point. He makes zero effort to win the header for the corner. I'll add this to my collection of piss poor efforts to win headers that have led directly to goals (Norwich and Liverpool being the others). I have said it from game 1 that he is a liability. 

This is about the 8th game in a row that Aribo has been a total no entity. He does nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Thought Ely, JWP ad Edozie had good games. ABK marshalled Mitrovic well. KWP looked sharp. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dman said:

Oh Nathan, it was going so well until you changed it up to cling on to a 1-1 against fucking Fulham… 

Has a sense of the game that probably relegates us, confidence will be even lower than it was before now. 

As others have said performance of a team going down. Lose even when play well. Conceding late goals. It’s going to be a long second half the season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Lyanco, and this is why he shouldn't be starting - a bloody liability

Yet most said his grit and  passion is just what we needed!... Well that's only any good if it's combined with some level of footballing skill... His positional sense is the worst I've seen 

I don't think there's a manager that would keep us up. The fight has drained out of the team and fans alike. We've been sleepwalking towards this day for a few years now. We played alot better today than Boxing Day but we still offer near to nothing from open play and defensively we have no leaders. Keep conceding + can't score = relegation. If we lose against Forest that's us as good as down, even though we're not far adrift. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dman said:

Young, hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve…? 

Nobody is guaranteed to improve. But he's got talent, there's ability there. Goalkeepers generally don't mature until about 23/24 anyway. Hardly his fault he's been thrown in at the deep end.

• Like 1

Just now, Sfcphilc said:

I don't think there's a manager that would keep us up. The fight has drained out of the team and fans alike. We've been sleepwalking towards this day for a few years now. We played alot better today than Boxing Day but we still offer near to nothing from open play and defensively we have no leaders. Keep conceding + can't score = relegation. If we lose against Forest that's us as good as down, even though we're not far adrift. 

The fight drained out of our fans when Spurs equalised on opening day.

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Nobody is guaranteed to improve. But he's got talent, there's ability there. Goalkeepers generally don't mature until about 23/24 anyway. Hardly his fault he's been thrown in at the deep end.

He’s crap. Weak as piss, makes loads of mistakes, generally concedes more of the ‘keeper should have that’ than he saves. 

Angus Gunn mk2

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

He shouldn't be playing end of. We spanked 13 million or so on someone who should be a back up keeper. We needed better and we needed experience in that position. We never learned our lesson with Gunn. This fuckin club thinks that they are so clever with transfers. The transfer policy will see us relegated. No question. 

I remember me and others getting shouted down in the summer for daring to suggest we should be buying more experienced players. All I heard was "if they're old enough they're good enough" "What is experience anyway?", "We have loads of experience and they are shite" etc

Well, if there's ever a case of needing experience it is Bazunu. He is not ready for 1st place in a prem team and neither are most of the other youngsters we bought

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

That's not what I'm arguing here is it? I'm simply saying he isn't sh1t. There's a world of difference between being sh1t and not being the finished product. His distribution, whilst not being perfect however is a huge upgrade on Forster or McCarthy.

Fucking hipster twats who think keepers need to be ‘good with their feet’ get on my tits.  What they need to be is brave, good shot-stoppers and dominate their area.

I couldn’t give a tuppeny fuck how good they are at passing the ball.  

• Like 4

Just now, Chez said:

thought we fought hard and for periods looked half decent. Che should have scored early on. Could have made a big difference. Far too many one on one chances are not taken in games. When we pressed Fulham struggled. When Edozie and Che got tired we faded. So badly need genuine forward options to keep that energy up. NJ needs signings done quick.

Thought Lyanco cost us a point. He makes zero effort to win the header for the corner. I'll add this to my collection of piss poor efforts to win headers that have led directly to goals (Norwich and Liverpool being the others). I have said it from game 1 that he is a liability. 

This is about the 8th game in a row that Aribo has been a total no entity. He does nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Thought Ely, JWP ad Edozie had good games. ABK marshalled Mitrovic well. KWP looked sharp. 

Dont agree. we were overloaded. There's 2 guys at the front and 2 at the back with one marker each. I don't blame Lyanco anymore than i blame Armstrong. Equally i'd say ABK shouldn't concede a corner when Cairney dives for a penalty.

Played ok (not great) for most of the second half then gifted it to Fulham by failing to get within two yards of the Fulham player with the near post flick on. Atrocious defending. 

If everyone is fit (and without whichever superstars we sign in the next few weeks) we should be playing

Macca

Tino ABK DCC Sali KWP

JWP Romeo 

Stuey Sam

Chele

Still shaking my head in total disbelief that we continue to contrive ways to lose games. Quite incredible. All we had to do was not concede a goal - I really thought we were the better team and for the first time, signs that the players were behind the manager and working hard. We simply had to get something out of that game to build on. A brilliant free kick from JWP - all things pointing to us going on to win. Commentator cursed it for me "Southampton have only conceded one goal in the last 15 minutes"...cue concession of a stupid corner and terrible non-marking front post and back post.

We simply have to win against Forest otherwise we're down. 

Lyanco though, c'mon what a joke. And Bazunu - grow a pair and take responsibility for commanding your area! His lack of confidence is so apparent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Dont agree. we were overloaded. There's 2 guys at the front and 2 at the back with one marker each. I don't blame Lyanco anymore than i blame Armstrong. Equally i'd say ABK shouldn't concede a corner when Cairney dives for a penalty.

I'll have to look at it again I think. He looked very passive to me. Casual. Lazy. Certainly not committed to winning the header at all costs. Maybe I am wrong. 

15 minutes ago, It's There said:

The main issue is it taking our chances!!!

Today our problems were far bigger than that. A keeper devoid of any confidence and a defence who cannot fathom how to do the very basics of defending.

Che is just, Che. He cannot lead a line on his own or be relied on to score goals. Bodes well.

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Really ? u think Rasmus would eat humble pie that quickly.

The main problem is out forwards fire more blanks than a eunuch.

Yes I just read on twitter that Rasmus got angry after full time. Really it’s his fault for committing on signing a bunch of kids making our team inherently worse. I like Jones but think he might pull the plug with the pressure put on him from SR

We lost a lot of games this season under Ralph due to personal/ player errors.

Not a massive shock to see that under a new manager, we lose games due to personal/player errors.

It is compounded by tactics under both that promote the chances of these happening in dangerous positions and by  our poor recruitment.

Today we didn't close down a corner we rather sloppily gave away. For the second we didn't stop a header from a sloppily given away corner.

If we drop back as a team, which is the natural trained thing to do, we are simply not capable of keeping a team out. We're just not switched on enough to do this for long periods (and seeminly increasingly shorter periods)

It's not helped by having no one in midfield to pass to. I'll probably say this every game, but whoever thought it a good idea to let Romeu go, should be on their bike.

Che is very isolated. No one is near him, so he can't bring anyone into the game. No one is near him, so he can;t feed off of anyone else. Stu coming on gave us some hope for a little spell there. We don;t have the ball much as it is, so he's not going to get many chances. The couple he did get today were good chances, but he's not an instinctive finisher. They all required him to think and that moment made all the difference. 

Edozie is a decent dribbler. But he's neither blisteringly quick, powerful or clinical (he is a kid). He's useful, but he's only learning to make the correct decisions.

Aribo does a decent thing once or twice a game, and seems to be a lump for the rest of it.

I'll probably say this every game, like everyone else, but whoever thought it a good idea to not get a striker in well ahead of playing around the deadline, should be on their bike too.

When we look to at least be trying to get forward, we look okay. KWP, ABK, Salisu are good. JWP had a good game for most of it. Edozie is raw, but useful. Che works hard but needs a lot of help. Mo did well for most of the game too.

For all the good things we did today, Fulham looked the most likely in attack. They looked stronger too in a lot of areas.

Glariningly weak links are AMN. He nearly got an assist in the game after a good move, and he should be well up the park, if he's playing at all.

Aribo is the other one. He offers nothing that Che isn't already providing, and offers nothing to compliment our attack at present.

Baz is a bit flappy for my liking and some decision making is a little off. But he's a kid too, and I'd not expect anything more from him at this stage.

We desperately need a finisher, a forward who can hold it up, a defensive midfielder (it doesn;t matter if Lavia is coming back, he's not fit and may be on his way sooner rahter than later) and an attacker midfielder who can provide what Stu seems only able to give us 20mins of at present.

SR have had since the end of the last window to get things in place. There are no surprises. So, I'm hoping we get off to a flyer in the transfer window.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Jones will be sacked if we lose to Forest imo

Of course he won't. 

The silver lining at the moment is that despite winning only 4 in 29 (is it really that bad?) we're not even close to being cut adrift. Lots of bang average teams in the league this season and a little improvement could go a long way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Edozie, moi and Che should of scored today

Got to say the Edozie chance should be buried at this level. Much easier chance than the Solly March goal last week. Our forward players just aren't ruthless enough. Not all chances are easy. The keeper made it tough for Che, but we just score enough goals.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Jones will be sacked if we lose to Forest imo

Can’t see this unfortunately. The sacking bit. Not the losing to Forest bit. Would be an admission that their silly algorithm doesn’t work in the real world. Needs to happen though, to allow a new manager to get the transfers in

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Get rid of the useless idiot. Appalling decision making at 1-1. 

Bit harsh.

Whatever he did after Brighton, he got the side up for the fight, seemed to set them up well. Not sure NJ can take the blame for that defeat.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Bit harsh.

Whatever he did after Brighton, he got the side up for the fight, seemed to set them up well. Not sure NJ can take the blame for that defeat.

Explain Lavia sub please? Too late and why a defensive midfielder at 2-1?

The Edozie sub was problem too negative 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic