Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

Edmonton Saint

A tricky one to review. Felt like we played better but how many times have we said that whilst under Ralph? I think it is clear as day that we need a ruthless goal scorer. The game should have been out of Fulham’s reach if we finished our chances.

Edozie once again showed that he is a supreme talent, and is one who will win us games. Still very raw but there is a lot talent to be polished.

JWP goal aside had a better more influential performance, nonetheless we need to see a lot more going forward still. 

Not sure about our choice of defence, I think when fully fit we have a better defensive line than when we play Lyanco. I still believe he’s better suited to midfield, just doesn’t have the discipline for CB. I think we need Lavia fit and to sign another midfielder to add strength in depth, in the middle of the park we are being bossed far too much. 

We are such a frustrating side, we at times look okay. However, I don’t think our players have any resilience at all. So often in the last few years they have bottled it even after decent performances. Our best period of results was when there were no fans in the stadium, and the players had a lot less pressure on them. I really hope Jones can turn them around and build a bit of grit but I am not that hopeful. At least in the championship we may win some games though! 

Edited by AngusHyd

33 minutes ago, chi saint said:

I thought we saw signs of improvement today, some nice pass and move as well as more fight and vigour. Pleased to see JWP score (his second not first lol) as can't do any harm to his confidence or that the team.

Each individual made mistakes, but then doesn't every team, it's just at the moment it seems so called fans latch on to these and pillory the player not very support-ish if you ask me!

As for NJ, it's early days, I have no idea if he is the right appointment but what is done is done. As the saying goes - Roma (sic) wasn't built in a day.  

Clearly things today were better than against Brighton and I suspect he is learning with every game who can hack it and who can't. Albeit I accept that we may run out of time before he knows his final 11, has them is bedded in and working as a functioning unit. 

The upcoming window will be crucial, be it loanees or contracted players we clearly need a striker (preferably two) and a more experienced, natural leader to assist both on the pitch and in the dressing room. Extras in midfield would be a bonus but the need is clear - striker, striker, striker.

One query I do have for NJ is why S Armstrong isn't starting as it seems to me that today his introduction was one of the defining moments that signalled a notable improvement. Perhaps his fitness is an issue, if not then for me it is a quandary.

To those on here who are already calling for NJs sacking, give some thought to his situation.  He knew there were 'issues' as did we and the club hierarchy.
He has inherited those players and like Ralph is no doubt questioning who is up for the relegation battle, who is there only for the money along with this are disillusioned after having been sold the fantasy of Saints being a shop window..

Keep the faith for if we jettison NJ, no one will be coming to us as we'll be adopting the 'Watford way' in respect of management appointments.

We have the games, we just need one or two players and supporters who support.

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

Bloody hell. Im sat on the train hone from the game reading the bollocks on here wondering if i had watched a different game.

comments above pretty much mirror my thoughts. The team certainly had some fight as well and clearly havent given up on the manager like most if the fans.

the fact is we need 2/3  new players and  if they come in quick enough we have a chance.

Endozie had a decent game but was done and fortunately we hd no options on the be ch to replace him.

certainly less farting around at the back draining the tempo out if the game.

unlucky not to get a point and hopefully not too disheartened.

I was at work today so didn't get a chance to go nor have I seen any of the highlights but I'm certainly happy to hear this perspective of the game.

• Like 3

Much better performance than Brighton (had to be) but ultimately it was the same old problems - not taking our chances, weak defending, weak mentality.

Positives

Attitude and workrate was ten times better so all this talk that the players dont respect or care for Jones seems like bullshit. They were definitely fighting for him.

Tactics and the pressing at times was much improved. Again the manager has his hands tied with our depth but I thought the subs were spot on. Stu on at the right time and Edozie needed to come off too as he was done. No issue with Perraud replacing him as the only other options were Diallo, AA and Mara (they're obviously being cautious with Lavia). 

The transfer window is here and boy do we need 5/6 new faces. Unlikely to get that many, but a new striker, creative AM and DM are essential. I hope Ankersen is angry and recognises the major surgery that squad needs right now.

Negatives

Lyanco. Poor defending but we shouldnt be surprised from what we've seen of him. He is so erratic which no amount of passion can compensate for. Get DCC in the next lineup and if Lyanco is still interested in a return to Brazil in the summer then get it finalised.

Was warned in the summer by Rangers mates that Aribo can be incredibly frustrating/lazy at times and so its proving. We cant carry players like that and hope for a moment of magic which very rarely comes. 

When are we going to score from open play again? The lack of a decent striker in the summer is a big reason why we're in the current position. We need at least one striker in this window, hopefully two as AA and Mara (not now) dont offer anything at this level.

Weak mentality again. A manager can try and build these players up and inspire as much confidence as possible, but its clear we have players scarred by their previous experiences with this team. They constantly revert to dropping deeper and inviting pressure. Lots of new faces are needed to try and move us away from this losers mentality.

Defending set pieces. While I've defended Jones for his tactics and the time it takes to ingrain a new style of playing in a squad - the fact we're so weak on set pieces is on him and his coaching staff (we're bound to have a set piece coach). This can be worked on day after day in training to get us to an acceptable standard of organisation and accountability. Not good enough at this level.

Forest is massive. We desperately need to get something going at home, if we dont we'll be down by late March/early April, its that simple.

For as bad as we've been in the first half of the season, we're only a win from getting out of the drop zone. But that needs to happen soon or we'll be cut adrift.

Happy new year. Heres to a much improved 2023, because to be honest 2022 has been fcuking shit

• Like 8

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Aribo by the way - WTF?

I thought he was supposed to be decent, good first touch, top player in the SPL etc - but he looks inept. Not sure if it's confidence/lack of playing time or he is an absolute dud.

(Haven’t read the remainder of the thread) but Jesus Christ (sorry nathan) the amount of time he spent walking around the pitch today not giving a shite was just as bad as AMN vs. Lincoln 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Dud. I was worried when his numbers in Scotland weren't even as good as Elyounoussi's.

At the price, I don't knock the club for taking a punt.

But he's absolute shite. Slow, unenergetic - just a plodding passenger who has seemingly hoodwinked a few into believing that the rare occasions where he doesn't get tangled up in his own legs is some kind of technical mastery.

Where does he belong? Can't play on the wing, too slow. Can't play as a 10, creates fuck all. Can't play in midfield, doesn't tackle, run, pass, or really get involved.

He was beyond awful today. Should've been hauled off at HT or earlier. Just strolling around, losing possession, and shit passing. When Adams broke free on the left and was one on one with their GK he (Aribo) was just casually strolling forward, no attempt to bust a gut to get on to a cross or be in the box for a possible rebound. He has some ability but I don't know what the f*ck is wrong with him, but he should not be starting any matches until he gets his head out of his arse.

• Like 3

Just now, Dark Munster said:

He was beyond awful today. Should've been hauled off at HT or earlier. Just strolling around, losing possession, and shit passing. When Adams broke free on the left and was one on one with their GK he (Aribo) was just casually strolling forward, no attempt to bust a gut to get on to a cross or be in the box for a possible rebound. He has some ability but I don't know what the f*ck is wrong with him, but he should not be starting any matches until he gets his head out of his arse.

Another Joe Shields special 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LGTL said:

….and people harp on about us being ‘impatient’

Sick to death of this team, the pricks that play for it, the managers that have managed it and the wankers that oversee it. 

Yet you'll be back for more punishment next week. A heroin addiction would be better for your health 😂😂

Deserved a point out of that. Better than against Brighton but we still look like a team devoid of confidence or cohesion.

Work rate and aggression were good. They matched Fulham and had our strikers taken the chances during the dominant spells, then it would have been a 3 points.

The issues

Aribo.... omg , get Tella back twice the player.

Goalkeeper needs a rest

Some poor defending from all of them. Lyanco gets slated but ABK had a shocker as well today.

Strikers can't shoot

Manager playing for a draw, never ever do that! However jury remains out on Jones.

It was better, let's hold on to that. No giving up just yet, but without some decent new players we're going down.

As others have said squeeze a win and a few draws, the picture looks rosy. Looks a tall order at the moment.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yet you'll be back for more punishment next week. A heroin addiction would be better for your health 😂😂

To be fair Wednesday night is last chance saloon, go for it against Forest, get the fans up for it and get behind them for 90 mins , weirdly looking forward to it 

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Another Joe Shields special 

you've posted a few times that we tried to get him when he was leaving Charlton, so wouldn't this signing be as a result of a recommendation from some of the other scouts/transfer committee members?  

I'd like to know who made the decision/recommendation on Mara.

18 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

In recent years, we’ve sold the spine of the team: Ings, Romeo, Forster, et al, and simply not replaced them. That is the root cause of the problem. 

It’s worse than that. We’ve basically sold a whole team and not replaced them. The formation below is based on the players who made the most appearances in season 2015-16, when we finished sixth. How many of our current players get in that side? You could maybe argue JWP if he’s having a good day, and argue about KWP I suppose, but that’s about it. Shane Long is on the bench, he only started 23 games that season and scored 10 league goals. We’ve been decimated with below average replacements since.

HuYL2z7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

you've posted a few times that we tried to get him when he was leaving Charlton, so wouldn't this signing be as a result of a recommendation from some of the other scouts/transfer committee members?  

I'd like to know who made the decision/recommendation on Mara.

We did try and he went to rangers but shields was behind the move this time. 

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

It’s worse than that. We’ve basically sold a whole team and not replaced them. The formation below is based on the players who made the most appearances in season 2015-16, when we finished sixth. How many of our current players get in that side? You could maybe argue JWP if he’s having a good day, and argue about KWP I suppose, but that’s about it. Shane Long is on the bench, he only started 23 games that season and scored 10 league goals. We’ve been decimated with below average replacements since.

HuYL2z7.jpg

Wow! That’s a great illustration of how far we’ve fallen. 

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

HuYL2z7.jpg

Walker Peters over Cedric, that’s all

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

HuYL2z7.jpg

KWP over cedric as he was fairly poor and dropped for cuco. clyne the previous year was well ahead of any of our rbs. ward prowse dosent make that team for me. bit weird schneiderlins still in there though 2016?

Edited by SotonianWill

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

KWP over cedric as he was fairly poor and dropped for cuco. clyne the previous year was well ahead of any of our rbs. ward prowse dosent make that team for me. bit weird schneiderlins still in there though 2016?

Well done, you win the prize for spotting my intentional mistake……

🤥

Swap in a young Oriol Romeu for the departed Frenchman. Or Jordy Clasie if you prefer. 

24 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Can't believe I'm saying this but actually thought Elyounoussi had a decent game in CM today. 

Aribo was horrendous. Genuinely shocking.

Shame we couldn't hold on because it was an improved performance. Huge game on Wednesday. 

I thought that, I think being in a central midfield position gave him a fighting chance to keep up with the game

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We did try and he went to rangers but shields was behind the move this time. 

As a free transfer from Charlton with potential, I could see the value, but he hardly set the world on fire at Rangers. I didn't see a guy that was going to come to a struggling Premiership side and improve both his and our game. 

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

As a free transfer from Charlton with potential, I could see the value, but he hardly set the world on fire at Rangers. I didn't see a guy that was going to come to a struggling Premiership side and improve both his and our game. 

In all honesty I watched a fair amount of Rangers last season and thought he’d be a good signing, not a world beater but for £7m good on the ball, big strong, thought he’d add a bit of much needed power to the attack. Thought he looked okay early on but like a lot of our players once they settle seem to regress. Looks a shadow of a player at the moment offering nothing. Another player who looks like he doesn’t really know what he’s meant to be doing 

I do wonder that it can’t be the players all the time. Yes some of them might not be premier league quality but him and Adam Armstrong don’t even look like footballers these days. Just there, never offering anything. You’d expect even a player out of his depth to contribute something, but with some of them they might as well not be there aside from when they run towards a opponent doing a poor version of a press, 99/100 getting no where near them. generally a good manager can get the best out of even limited players but we’ve got so many who just seem to go through the motions offering absolutely nothing

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, macca155 said:

I thought that, I think being in a central midfield position gave him a fighting chance to keep up with the game

To be fair he does give 100% every time he plays. Clearly lacks any real quality but seems to keep the ball better than AMN or Diallo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

In all honesty I watched a fair amount of Rangers last season and thought he’d be a good signing, not a world beater but for £7m good on the ball, big strong, thought he’d add a bit of much needed power to the attack. Thought he looked okay early on but like a lot of our players once they settle seem to regress. Looks a shadow of a player at the moment offering nothing. Another player who looks like he doesn’t really know what he’s meant to be doing 

I do wonder that it can’t be the players all the time. Yes some of them might not be premier league quality but him and Adam Armstrong don’t even look like footballers these days. Just there, never offering anything. You’d expect even a player out of his depth to contribute something, but with some of them they might as well not be there aside from when they run towards a opponent doing a poor version of a press, 99/100 getting no where near them. generally a good manager can get the best out of even limited players but we’ve got so many who just seem to go through the motions offering absolutely nothing

I seem to remember loads of people going nuts about that friendly goal he scored as well. Shame he hasn't lived up to anything. 

6 hours ago, St Louis said:

Haha, I happen to know for a FACT that the complete opposite of this is true.
I'm not happy at all with how things are going (not that I blame Jones after 3 games with a team he inherited and no transfers in or out yet), but... that doesn't mean things like the above should be said with no truth.
Yes it's early days, but I know for a fact that the players have really warmed to him so far and like him a lot (he's very likeable apparently and quite different to his onscreen persona), training has been 'fun again', things being freshened up has been really welcome after a long stale period, etc.
Of course this could change if results continue to be poor, but he is very well liked (so far) within the squad and wider backroom.
Horses Mouth x 2 = Senior Director & Sports Scientist.

Maybe the players have warmed to him, and an improved performance today points to that.   There is however much to be critical about in the way Jones set up the team.   Should have started four at the back from the off; showed too much respect for Mitrovic et al by playing 3 CB's.   ABK and Salisu are more than capable of doing the job.    This would have freed up an attacking player to assist an isolated Adams who can't play the lone striker role - especially with the very ineffective Aribo and the largely ineffective Elyounoussi providing little help.  Stuart Armstrong's direct running immediately highlighted Jones oversight - it added another dimension to Edozie's willingness to run at the defence and create chances.     If Lavia was fit enough for the bench, why wait until stoppage time with the game gone to bring him on?

There's a flicker of hope for getting out of this mess; but just a flicker.  Not-with-standing the urgency of several transfer market "ins" to bolster the side - Jones has to play with a back four (at the very least against middle to lower table opponents), abandon the Adams on his own tactic, get Lavia involved and recognise that the likes of Aribo, Djenepo and Elyounoussi are not up to standard.

Better game from Ward-Prowse today and a superb free kick.

Bazunu deffo needs a week out - that’s 2 games running where he has been like the time delay you use to get on an international telephone - ball fired into the corridor of uncertainty and he’s diving for it it after the ball has gone, Monday Perraud is knobbled by the failure to cut the ball out - today he got away with it.

Watching MOTD - that Che one on one chance, where the f**k was everyone else…………..oh yeah look, there’s Aribo just ambling up to support. 

8 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Had our efforts at goal gone in today life would look very different ...

Loan 2 strikers and today our future games could look so different , we were not outplayed today on the pitch . But we were let down with our lack of being able to score . A problem common now to Ralph and NJ.  Any manager needs the tools to do the job .. bring on the transfer window or we say hello championship !

Could you list the teams that would happily loan extremely effective strikers in January to a relegation rival please. 

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

This is the thing for mine

as someone pointed out during the week, the majority of this team was the same team that absolutely played spurs off the park in probably the slickest saints performance I can remember, now the only thing we can with any slickness is concede soft goals

i have also mentioned on here a few times, how good so many of our players looked in their first 5-10 games here compared to what they evolved into, Djenepo scored goals, Aarmstromg had a couple of goals and multiple assists, Theo had goals and assists, when Ely looked competent when he returned from Celtic, Aribo had a couple of early goals.

I just don’t see how it’s possible for all of these players to disintegrate if all is anywhere near well behind the scenes

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

What a stat! 😂

That's the ultimate stat, that's what it is all about.

Football is relative, fans want to see the team win regardless of division. I got way more enjoyment watching us in league 1 than I do watching us right now.

It's killing the fan base.