Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I genuinely cannot believe somebody put Solanke on that list… solanke… I expect he’s as surprised as anybody that he managed to score 29 fucking goals in the Champ

If we had Solanke we'd have inevitably sold him at the first sign of interest so is a moot point really 

39 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I know many of you are going to hate this but I did tell you that any player will leave if the correct price is met.

Che Adams gets 3.1M wages a year plus win and goal bonuses on top of that.

If we bought Piroe he would cost £624k in wages a year.

Piroe would have a good sell value from his 4 year contract and he would be hungry to reach the premiership with us.

This is very much the Brighton model which we are now starting to copy.

Who’s next to leave the club? Everyone basically because they all have a price. 

Is Russell Martin happy about this? I doubt it but this is why he was brought into the club to be part of the rebuild.
Out with the overpaid and in with a mixture of cheap and youth.

And that is why I said we won’t be targeting promotion this season (my own personal view)

Every player at every club has a price at which they'd be willing to sell. That's how it works.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, James said:

I mean Che was pretty shit last year and clubs still want him. I'm sure PL clubs were interested in Mitro and Fulham resisted whereas we are gambling. 

OK if we just going to imagine things to fit what we want to believe  then maybe Mitrovic wanted to stay just like Adam Armstrong wants to stay.

5 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

This, the fanbase could see there would be high turnover but the revolving door has been set to exit so far.  Reasonable to think we'd have brought a few in by now.

TBH I'm not in the least bit surprised, look at the squad we've still got, even after all the exits.

GK: Bazunu, AMC, Lumley

FB: KWP, Bree, Larios, Manning, Perraud

CB: Stephens, Bednarek, Lyanco, ABK

CM: Smallbone, Charles

AM: Stu, Tella, Edozie, Alcaraz, Aribo, Djenepo, Sully

ST: Adams, Armstrong, Paul, Mara

That's 25 senior players already, 26 when you factor in Downes apparently being a done deal, not including the likes of Doyle, Ballard, SAA etc. We're still light one CM but basically I see the four in red as needing to go before we can even consider bringing more in.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ivd just gone back through anyway… its a fucking fallacy that relegated clubs don’t lose their best players

22/23

Burnley lost 7 starters including their best forward player and an entire back line

Watford lost 9

Norwich lost 6 but then they were fucking awful

Edit - We’ve lost 3 starters btw.. 4 if you include Salisu.. I imagine that will end up at around 6 maybe 7… so entirely in keeping with most relegated outfits that have squads of capable players

Depends what you mean by starters but there were certainly some considered starters last year who have left. The players below I believe would be starters in a championship team: 

Tella 

JWP 

KWP 

Salisu 

ABK 

Adams 

Lavia 

Tino 

Sulemana 

So that's 9 we could lose with the only players of real quality who we have a chance of keeping imo being Smallbone and Alcaraz. I'm not sure what other players you have classed as starters for other teams, but you could even be pedantic and class players like Walcott or Mo as starters that we have got rid of. 

Edited by hypochondriac

Nowhere did I compare Solanke, Pukki, Mitrovic to JWP/Lavia. @Smirking_Saint and @CB Fry so you're both just hyperbolising what I said to get a few laughing emojis.

Because we've sold JWP, Lavia, Livramento and to a lesser extent Salisu, that should enable us to keep our current players who didn't particularly standout in the Premier League, but are top Championship players. Players like Pukki bagged 26 and 29 goals in the Championship, scored 11 in both Premier League seasons, so has a comparable record to Adams. THAT was the point I was making. Norwich didn't put a price on everyone with a pulse and held onto those like Pukki and Buendia, who were key players in them winning the Championship again and returning back to the Premier League. 

You also laughed at Solanke. A player who again, is very comparable to Adams, not JWP and Lavia in that he's not a particularly great striker in the Premier League, but he's in that limbo position of being a better striker than most in the Championship, hence why I brought up him scoring 29 goals in his Championship season, Bournemouth got promoted, which Adams could also be capable of. Oh and he's currently linked to West Ham for £40m.

Three posts are done, I'll be back to enjoy/cry at the Plymouth match tomorrow, but lets not start making up what other posters have said to get a few cheap thrills.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Depends what you mean by starters but there were certainly some considered starters last year who have left. The players below I believe would be starters in a championship team: 

Tella 

JWP 

KWP 

Salisu 

ABK 

Adams 

Lavia 

Tino 

Sulemana 

So that's 9 we could lose with the only players of real quality who we have a chance of keeping imo being Smallbone and Alcaraz. I'm not sure what other players you have classed as starters for other teams, but you could even be pedantic and class players like Walcott or Mo as starters that we have got rid of. 

I must have missed the bit where we’ve lost Sulemana, ABK, Adams, Tella and KWP.. the twitter admin is doing a terrific job keeping those departures under wraps

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I must have missed the bit where we’ve lost Sulemana, ABK, Adams, Tella and KWP.. the twitter admin is doing a terrific job keeping those departures under wraps

I see you missed the bit where I said "players we could lose". Just to be clear, you don't think we will lose them? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Nowhere did I compare Solanke, Pukki, Mitrovic to JWP/Lavia. @Smirking_Saint and @CB Fry so you're both just hyperbolising what I said to get a few laughing emojis.

Because we've sold JWP, Lavia, Livramento and to a lesser extent Salisu, that should enable us to keep our current players who didn't particularly standout in the Premier League, but are top Championship players. Players like Pukki bagged 26 and 29 goals in the Championship, scored 11 in both Premier League seasons, so has a comparable record to Adams. THAT was the point I was making. Norwich didn't put a price on everyone with a pulse and held onto those like Pukki and Buendia, who were key players in them winning the Championship again and returning back to the Premier League. 

You also laughed at Solanke. A player who again, is very comparable to Adams, not JWP and Lavia in that he's not a particularly great striker in the Premier League, but he's in that limbo position of being a better striker than most in the Championship, hence why I brought up him scoring 29 goals in his Championship season, which Adams could also be capable of. Oh and he's currently linked to West Ham for £40m.

Three posts are done, I'll be back to enjoy/cry at the Plymouth match tomorrow, but lets not start making up what other posters have said to get a few cheep thrills.

You'll have to let me know the seasons where Pukki played two consecutive seasons in the Premier League and wasn't playing for a well established yo yo club.

Not comparable, we're not Norwich.

49 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I know many of you are going to hate this but I did tell you that any player will leave if the correct price is met.

Che Adams gets 3.1M wages a year plus win and goal bonuses on top of that.

If we bought Piroe he would cost £624k in wages a year.

Piroe would have a good sell value from his 4 year contract and he would be hungry to reach the premiership with us.

This is very much the Brighton model which we are now starting to copy.

Who’s next to leave the club? Everyone basically because they all have a price. 

Is Russell Martin happy about this? I doubt it but this is why he was brought into the club to be part of the rebuild.
Out with the overpaid and in with a mixture of cheap and youth.

And that is why I said we won’t be targeting promotion this season (my own personal view)

It's been a lean year in the Adams household. Lean indeed.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I see you missed the bit where I said "players we could lose". Just to be clear, you don't think we will lose them? 

I think we’ll lose Sulemana and ABK… possibly Adams

I can’t judge the impact of those outgoings until we see the replacements, but as it stands they’re still here

11 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

what are you arguing? Or are you just whinging?

I think it's clear and obvious what I am saying as I've elaborated on here more than once now and everyone else seems to have understood. Maybe go back and reread if you're having trouble understanding. Failing that, maybe best just to slip my posts if you consider it whinging. 

5 hours ago, Doctoroncall said:

But it was known this was going to be a roller coaster ride of a transfer window. I think all of us are hoping by the end of the ride we have new players in the building which can help a promotion push. Still two weeks left. 

Think we should reserve judgement once the window closes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

TBH I'm not in the least bit surprised, look at the squad we've still got, even after all the exits.

GK: Bazunu, AMC, Lumley

FB: KWP, Bree, Larios, Manning, Perraud

CB: Stephens, Bednarek, Lyanco, ABK

CM: Smallbone, Charles

AM: Stu, Tella, Edozie, Alcaraz, Aribo, Djenepo, Sully

ST: Adams, Armstrong, Paul, Mara

That's 25 senior players already, 26 when you factor in Downes apparently being a done deal, not including the likes of Doyle, Ballard, SAA etc. We're still light one CM but basically I see the four in red as needing to go before we can even consider bringing more in.

Thing is, on the basis of everyone has their price, you could see KWP, Tella, Sulemana, ABK, Alcaraz, and Adams (6 players) all attracting testing bids in the next fortnight.  Plus, of the padding, Bree, Perraud, Lyanco, Aribo, Djenepo, Onuachu (6 players) all possibles once we get to the business end and usual scramble.  Won't be all of course, but that lot effectively cuts squad in half, and the hyperbole around unprecedented will be justified.  I thought we'd get three in this week based on the jungle drums but none have materialised.  It is going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think it's clear and obvious what I am saying as I've elaborated on here more than once now and everyone else seems to have understood. Maybe go back and reread if you're having trouble understanding. Failing that, maybe best just to slip my posts if you consider it whinging. 

Righty ho..great advice. Will do exactly that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delmary said:

Wilcox deserves a clean slate.

Sports Republic haven't done anything yet to prove things have fundamentally changed from last year. I gave them credit when they spent money but if they spaffed a load on the likes of Onuachu, only to recpup the majority the following summer through sales as some are suggested coukd be the plan then they don't deserve any credit really. Most fans have swallowed the sales up till now but are getting concerned and rightly so. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

You also laughed at Solanke. A player who again, is very comparable to Adams, not JWP and Lavia in that he's not a particularly great striker in the Premier League, but he's in that limbo position of being a better striker than most in the Championship, hence why I brought up him scoring 29 goals in his Championship season, which Adams could also be capable of. Oh and he's currently linked to West Ham for £40m.

Three posts are done, I'll be back to enjoy/cry at the Plymouth match tomorrow, but lets not start making up what other posters have said to get a few cheep thrills.

Bournemouth lost 7 first team players, including Ramsdale, Wilson, Fraser and Ake… or basically anybody any good… nobody wanted Solanke because he was shite, if West Ham buy him for 40m more for them.. he’s still crap

Pukki you could argue if you wanted to but again they lost 6 first team players that year, better players than Pukki

Mitrovic ? Fulham lost 9 players during that relegation, 7 of them first 11 players, Mitrovic had scored 3 goals

Frankly… anybody who didn’t think we’d lose our best players are at best deluded

• Like 4

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Bournemouth lost 7 first team players, including Ramsdale, Wilson, Fraser and Ake… or basically anybody any good… nobody wanted Solanke because he was shite, if West Ham buy him for 40m more for them.. he’s still crap

Pukki you could argue if you wanted to but again they lost 6 first team players that year, better players than Pukki

Mitrovic ? Fulham lost 9 players during that relegation, 7 of them first 11 players, Mitrovic had scored 3 goals

Frankly… anybody who didn’t think we’d lose our best players are at best deluded

What are you classing as first 11 players? Theo Walcott and Elyounoussi were first 11 players that we have lost from last year. Perraud will also be if we lose him too but I can't imagine any saints fans will be in the least bit bothered about the loss of those 3.

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What are you classing as first 11 players? Theo Walcott and Elyounoussi were first 11 players that we have lost from last year. Perraud will also be if we lose him too but I can't imagine any saints fans will be in the least bit bothered about the loss of those 3.

I like Perraud and think he'll do well for us if he stays and assuming he gets picked.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I mean it depends where you set the line ? But yes ok if it suits we’ve lost 5

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

I do

Well if that comes to pass I will absolutely give the club credit. Keeping kwp, Alcaraz and Tella will imo be a statement of intent that we are gunning for immediate automatic promotion. Assuming they both do go, would you be more aligned with pilchards and his opinion? 

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

I doubt ABK leaving would make any difference whatsoever. Went missing so many times last season.

Injury prone and suspect positionally. Still, he'd be very good in this league. Can't see his head or heart being in it though. 

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I mean it depends where you set the line ? But yes ok if it suits we’ve lost 5

Tino 

Lavia 

JWP 

Walcott 

Elyounoussi 

Salisu 

Makes six unless you don't want to count Tino due to his injury but you could also add Caleta Carr if you classed him as a first team player. I can easily see a scenario where we sell Perraud, Sulemana and Adams before the end of the window so we'd been at 9+ even if I agree with your opinion that we won't sell kwp or Tella. 

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We dont have a bloated squad, ffs.

We have already moved on...

Willy, Salisu, AMN, Theo, Mo, Orsic, JwP, Lavia, DCC, Tino...with more to follow.  That does not include fringe players that have also gone and those certain to leave

The above alone is massive money (a record already for a receiving Championship club) and massive savings in wages.

This is getting daft now.

We did have a bloated squad and we need to replace some that have left. If we replace those that haven't left yet we could have a bloated squad again.

I thought everyone was aware that this was going to happen  yet some seem surprised and shocked 

• Like 4

Are the goals bigger in the championship or the goalkeepers shorter? Some must think so if they worry about losing Che Adams who had many chances last season and missed most of them. I would rather let him go and bring in Piroe who seems to be a current goalscorer in the formation that the new manager plays. 

9 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

We did have a bloated squad and we need to replace some that have left. If we replace those that haven't left yet we could have a bloated squad again.

I thought everyone was aware that this was going to happen  yet some seem surprised and shocked 

This is just Alex being Alex. 😂