Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

16 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Doesn't sound like he's too keen to move anywhere this summer.  He said this after being linked with Rangers:

Kerber said: "The international interest is a great honor for me and is also the result of my performances so far this season.

"However, I can completely rule out a transfer this season.

"FC Saarbrucken is the club of my heart and my dream is to see them in Bundesliga II before thinking about any transfer.

"And I still have a lot planned for the future with my club."

Says a man that knows the Rangers deal ain't happening.

Strange that considering he doesn't want the move, these stories keep appearing in the press. The journalists aren't coming up with these stories on their own. Either his agent is placing them or his club is placing them. 

The Rangers link was last December, so things could well have changed by now anyway.

Got to say that his highlights video looks interesting.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Their football style is undoubtedly far superior to anything we achieved. 

What a load of old pony. 

Under Poch, Koeman and even under Puel at times, we played better football than Brighton did under Potter. Half a season under this new bloke and you’ve got a hard on. 

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Depends how you quantify success. Neither of us won anything, placed well in the league, they’ve earned a bucket load more money. Their football style is undoubtedly far superior to anything we achieved. 

That's absurd. We were unbelievable for a club of our size under poch and koeman at times. They're also doing it at a time when the money available is unbelievable so of course they've made more. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Depends how you quantify success. Neither of us won anything, placed well in the league, they’ve earned a bucket load more money. Their football style is undoubtedly far superior to anything we achieved. 

Don't agree re football style.  Under Poch & Koeman (& even Ralph) we tore teams apart - including top teams in the league.  The higher fees they've received are also somewhat mitigated by the fact that fees have gone up hugely since we sold VVD.  

Time will tell re Brighton, but fully expect them to falter in the next couple of years as their best players are sold and they struggle to replace.  They will also lose their manager at some point and it's a matter of time when they get an appointment wrong.  I'd love to be proved wrong and for a team to continually improve and climb higher, but it's a nigh on impossible task

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of old pony. 

Under Poch, Koeman and even under Puel at times, we played better football than Brighton did under Potter. Half a season under this new bloke and you’ve got a hard on. 

Classic response, Lord Duck at his most finest / predictable. 

3 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Don't agree re football style.  Under Poch & Koeman (& even Ralph) we tore teams apart - including top teams in the league.  The higher fees they've received are also somewhat mitigated by the fact that fees have gone up hugely since we sold VVD.  

Time will tell re Brighton, but fully expect them to falter in the next couple of years as their best players are sold and they struggle to replace.  They will also lose their manager at some point and it's a matter of time when they get an appointment wrong.  I'd love to be proved wrong and for a team to continually improve and climb higher, but it's a nigh on impossible task

Indeed. Over time success in the league is mostly correlated with the amount of money you have. Brighton will continue to do well for a while yet but eventually there will be a couple of missteps and that's when things will go wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Their model has stood up to the points you raise the past 2 seasons, not only has it stood up to it but they’re getting better and better. 

• Like 1

Their model has stood up to the points you raise the past 2 seasons, not only has it stood up to it but they’re getting better and better. 

They finished 9th & 6th. Big frigging deal. Come back when they’ve achieved what we did over 4 seasons despite selling all our best players, then I’ll join you in jizzing all over them. 

• Like 10

And our model sustained us for a few years before it all unravelled.... Not sure what your point is tbh.  If in a couple of years they are even better than they are now then yes absolutely they've done better than we did, but currently they have not achieved anything above what we did, and I as I've already argued they haven't even matched our heights yet

• Like 1

I think it's inevitable that Brighton will be in the Championship again at some point in the next 10 years, ditto Brentford.

They're basking in a good moment, but as others have said it's simply not sustainable. I'd be a bit nervous if I was Brighton, as Paul Barber is coming out and speaking in very similar ways to Les Reed. 

If they think they've cracked football they will be mistaken. The only way to crack football is to be owned by Saudi.

• Like 4

Brighton are where we were a while back, for sure, even down to their black box, but they are no great shakes compared to our peak. They've lost caicedo, could be analogous to us losing van dijk. they will have their purple patch and drop just like we did, just like every other club that isn't drenched in year on year money.

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They finished 9th & 6th. Big frigging deal. Come back when they’ve achieved what we did over 4 seasons despite selling all our best players, then I’ll join you in jizzing all over them. 

4 jizz filled seasons of success, pass me the tissues think I’ll have a “remember how good we were” wank. 

2 minutes ago, ashnats said:

Brighton are where we were a while back, for sure, even down to their black box, but they are no great shakes compared to our peak. They've lost caicedo, could be analogous to us losing van dijk. they will have their purple patch and drop just like we did, just like every other club that isn't drenched in year on year money.

They lost Bissouma last summer, lost Mwepo early in the season. Their model is standing up significantly better than ours. 

13 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I can almost guarantee you that fans of Brighton looked at us in 2015/2016 and were saying exactly the same ''They've got it so good, they are run so well'' - but one poor transfer window and a niave belief that you can keep selling because you're so good at replacing bit us, and from 2017 onwards we were pretty much circling the drain.

They've lost their midfield this summer in McAlistair and Cacadeo - that is a huge hole, a 4-1 win over Luton Town doesn't show anyone that they've cracked the replacement of those guys.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I can almost guarantee you that fans of Brighton looked at us in 2015/2016 and were saying exactly the same ''They've got it so good, they are run so well'' - but one poor transfer window and a niave belief that you can keep selling because you're so good at replacing bit us, and from 2017 onwards we were pretty much circling the drain.

Hughton, Potter, De Zerbi

Poch, Koeman, Puel ….. whoops, Pellegrino… fucking hell,

It’s not just about player recruitment 

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Come on, finish the sequence - 

Hughes - Hassenhutl - Jones - Selles

Ok Hughes saved us one year, Ralph had some good times before ultimately failing and then Jones and Selles

I'd argue we managed to go from the heights Brighton are currently experiencing to relegation because we managed to produce the perfect shit show of poor player recruitment combined with disastrous manager choices (whilst giving Ralph the benefit of the doubt, at least in his early tenure)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chez said:

Says a man that knows the Rangers deal ain't happening.

Strange that considering he doesn't want the move, these stories keep appearing in the press. The journalists aren't coming up with these stories on their own. Either his agent is placing them or his club is placing them. 

The Rangers link was last December, so things could well have changed by now anyway.

Got to say that his highlights video looks interesting.

Yeah, could be that.  To be honest I didn't know that the link was from last December - I guess that could make a difference now.  Had a quick look at the highlights - difficult to really tell how good (or not) he is.  Reminded me of Hojberg a bit. 

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, could be that.  To be honest I didn't know that the link was from last December - I guess that could make a difference now.  Had a quick look at the highlights - difficult to really tell how good (or not) he is.  Reminded me of Hojberg a bit. 

No idea what their third division is like, but in those clips he plays like knows he is better than his opponents.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

The big differences in Brighton's strategy compared to ours are 1.) Tony Bloom has put in an absolute stack of cash, they haven't needed to sell to buy like we always did. 

2.) Partly as a result of 1.) they have often bought replacements for players a long time before they leave and often have bough multiple prospects to see which turn out well. As an example, Caicedo was bought whilst they still had Bissouma and was loaned out. Ditto Mitoma, Van Hecke etc.

They are very aggressive in recruitment of 18 to 22 yo players and have multiple prospects that are very highly rated, e.g Enciso, Buonanotte, Ferguson, Adringra etc so aren't really in a position where if one guy goes its a huge issue.

They are just about to sign a LB prospect Valentin Barco from Boca Juniors who is very highly rated.

Our use of outgoing loans has been woeful for the last 10 years really (probably Tella aside). Theirs has been very good.

They have also exploited the South American market very well, which few PL teams have been able to. Seems they will be bringing inna few more from there in this window, and as a player going somewhere thats been a proven path, easier to settle etc is a big selling point.

Agree, it's far more complex than just assuming that other clubs haven't managed to be sustainable. That only rings true if every club is doing exactly the same thing.

25 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

I know it's not, but they're going to employ a dud at some point. Guaranteed as much as night comes after day.

If they're still flying high in 5 years then fair play, but my betting is they're not.

• Like 1

Can the last one out turn off the lights please?

My biggest concern with us now selling players who we didn't necessarily expect to leave is the impact it'll have on the others, for example Alcaraz. He's said he'll stay, but seeing some of his less talented teammates move with no incomings isn't exactly going to fill him with confidence.

17 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Good move for Tella but Id be hugely dissapointed for anythibg under 20m

Getting past the stage where we should be caring about the money coming in to actually getting some players. It’s looking thin on that front. Bare bones. As Harry would say. If Tella and alcaraz and Che go it is getting kind of drastic

10 minutes ago, DT said:

Getting past the stage where we should be caring about the money coming in to actually getting some players. It’s looking thin on that front. Bare bones. As Harry would say. If Tella and alcaraz and Che go it is getting kind of drastic

We’re in the Championship, we’re going to lose our best players

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We’re in the Championship, we’re going to lose our best players

I think there comes a point where we shut the door though, if we lose Adams for free then so be it - we've got £140m in the coffers, and promotion would earn us a lot more than £15m for Che Adams.

I honestly think we should now say no to Tella, Adams etc - get them to focus, heads down (which they've done to be fair, been very professional). We still need additions which will happen, and I think we'll see the likes of Aribo, Lyanco and co go to reduce the squad size - but I think now is the time we stop selling the first 11 players.

• Like 2

Not sure how this would work, but with the money we've brought in so far, can we not offset some of that money with new and improved contracts for Tella and Che (and Alcaraz if necessary). If they would be happy to stay with the new "terms" surely it would be more cost effective than bringing in replacements who may, or may not be any good.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think there comes a point where we shut the door though, if we lose Adams for free then so be it - we've got £140m in the coffers, and promotion would earn us a lot more than £15m for Che Adams.

I honestly think we should now say no to Tella, Adams etc - get them to focus, heads down (which they've done to be fair, been very professional). We still need additions which will happen, and I think we'll see the likes of Aribo, Lyanco and co go to reduce the squad size - but I think now is the time we stop selling the first 11 players.

I agree. If Adams and Tella are pushing for moves then that’s different but if they are okay with staying then we are selling two quality players and this level and I’d be really disappointed. We’ve brought a fortune so far with tens of millions more if/when Sully, ABK and KWP go. I’d be very disappointed if we sold Tella and Adams now, sadly I think at least one will go

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notnowcato said:

They lost Bissouma last summer, lost Mwepo early in the season. Their model is standing up significantly better than ours. 

Hardly the same quality of players that we lost to Liverpool over those seasons. Don't get me wrong, they are doing OK, but not at the levels we were then, and a long way to go before they can be considered anything special or unique.