Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

13 hours ago, Maggie May said:

Hopefully he’ll stay. The financial reward for promotion outweighs Che leaving on a free. 

that maths works well, until you don't get promoted, and then the reward is not having £15m to buy a striker next summer.

Sell and replace with someone just as effective is the  way to do it. However, its very difficult to find that guy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

that maths works well, until you don't get promoted, and then the reward is not having £15m to buy a striker next summer.

Sell and replace with someone just as effective is the  way to do it. However, its very difficult to find that guy.

We could still sell him in January.

11 hours ago, Appy said:

Cameron Archer from Villa on loan would be my suggestion if we needed a striker. 

Decent shout. He will cost £20m apparently. Two footed, skllful and very sharp, if this video is anything to go by. Only issue would be that he's not very tall, so isn't going to offer us an arial threat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Decent shout. He will cost £20m apparently. Two footed, skllful and very sharp, if this video is anything to go by. Only issue would be that he's not very tall, so isn't going to offer us an arial threat. 

Nor is Messi but that doesn't stop him scoring 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Thats where I am I think, we don’t need to reinvent the wheel here

A CB, two if we lose both Lyanco and ABK

Downes plus one more.. unfortunately we don’t even have a youth CM to drop in

Thats pretty much it for me.. maybe a GK to replace McCarthy if Im being really greedy

Where in midfield does Doyle play?

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Where in midfield does Doyle play?

Attacking CM. Ryan Finnigan is more of a conventional CM/ ditto Cameron Bragg. Finnigan apparently did well on loan at Crewe in the second half of last season. He came off early for the B team on Friday (as did Ballard) so I half expected him to be on the bench with Ballard yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Verbal agreement from Tella? looks like he might be on his way. Thank god we've got Sam Amo waiting in the wings. (No pun intended!)

If we sold Tella and got McAtee in whether loan of permanent (with the standard buy back or sell on for City) I'd say that was decent business.

Tella didn't look up for it yesterday.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, coalman said:

If we sold Tella and got McAtee in whether loan of permanent (with the standard buy back or sell on for City) I'd say that was decent business.

Apart from scoring the 1st goal and being general threat

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, coalman said:

Anyone else know Alan Ball is Mcatees great uncle?

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Verbal agreement from Tella? looks like he might be on his way. Thank god we've got Sam Amo waiting in the wings. (No pun intended!)

That would really annoy me. Not only losing a good player but losing him for a relatively small fee. Really hope the club show some ambition and keep him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

That would really annoy me. Not only losing a good player but losing him for a relatively small fee. Really hope the club show some ambition and keep him.

He said yesterday that we wouldn't sell for anything less than €25Million too, potentially €30Million.

2 minutes ago, Webby said:

Don’t think Tella was a threat, personally. Scored a goal but little else. Didn’t take his man on over on the right at all. Looked more comfortable on the left and actually attacked his man from there. 

I know he's played less minutes but the winger I've been impressed with the most this season is SAA. Something isn't right with Tella IMO. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I know he's played less minutes but the winger I've been impressed with the most this season is SAA. Something isn't right with Tella IMO. 

What are you expecting that you are not getting? 

7 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Yep - he’s scored 2 goals and got us 4 points, that’s not something saints wingers do…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Said it before but we would be absolute idiots to sell Tella.... 

Can see us in a situation where we end up flogging all the talent. 

And replacing with cut price inferior players.

Posted yesterday we need to build team around Tella and Adams and I'm sticking by that. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Yep - he’s scored 2 goals and got us 4 points, that’s not something saints wingers do…..

were there no body language experts at Home Park yesterday to provide some insight into his state of mind?

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I would not want to rely on A-A all season. We would need a replacement for Tella or we could end up with the likes of Djenepo as a regular starter. But I really want to keep Tella. I like him.

29 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He said yesterday that we wouldn't sell for anything less than €25Million too, potentially €30Million.

https://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-player-now-decided-next-destination-transfer-getting-hotter-offer-mad

seems like there is a pretty big gulf between what Bayern are going to offer and what we are going to accept.  

22 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Said it before but we would be absolute idiots to sell Tella.... 

Can see us in a situation where we end up flogging all the talent. 

And replacing with cut price inferior players.

Posted yesterday we need to build team around Tella and Adams and I'm sticking by that. 

if a club offers €30m it will be difficult to turn that down. Not sure they will though.

46 minutes ago, Webby said:

Don’t think Tella was a threat, personally. Scored a goal but little else. Didn’t take his man on over on the right at all. Looked more comfortable on the left and actually attacked his man from there. 

This is what Ive been saying, he is good, but he isn’t worth 18-20m

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I read that as his opinion that we should ask for €25-30m, not that we are. 

3 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

RE McAtee - if we just take City youngsters with buybacks due to the obvious connections, then I can fast see us becoming the enemy in this league.

Not that I particularly care as long as we go up.

Would be very surprised if they sold him.

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

RE McAtee - if we just take City youngsters with buybacks due to the obvious connections, then I can fast see us becoming the enemy in this league.

Not that I particularly care as long as we go up.

Indeed.

We were massively disliked under Cortese, but as long as a) clubs like us enough to send us their better youngsters on win/win deals, and b) good players like us enough to come here, who gives a monkeys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This is what Ive been saying, he is good, but he isn’t worth 18-20m

Adam Armstrong wasn't worth $18M in 2021. To me given inflation he's worth much more especially given we've already made major sales, deadline is close and will struggle to replace him with someone with a similar goal record.