Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

13 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

You're all losing your minds about the club selling players who have proven they are thoroughly underequipped for life in the Prem - and life in the Prem is what awaits if we're successful in the Championship. What on earth would be the point in this whole exercise if we fight to keep hold of these players, claw our way back up to the top flight and then find ourselves in a similar position to that which got us relegated, with a team of fucking wasters who cannot score or defend? Are we really thinking RM is so talented that he can get things out of this squad that three successive managers have been unable to?

We've all spent months and months and months begging for a clearout. Now we're getting it and y'all are kicking off? I just cannot fathom.

We’ve sold players for tens of millions to some of England and Frances biggest clubs, kind of suggests those players were the issue 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

We had a bloated squad because a lot of them were shit. Replacing shit players with useful players isn't squad bloat, it's squad depth.

Thing is every one that doesn’t get picked gets labelled as shit anyway.. we hardly even saw any of Paul and Orsic so must be shit then ..

it’s a long time since I can remember us being happy with squad/bench players 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Tella? Huh, OK 😘

But yeah - JWP, Lavia, KWP and Tino are all Prem quality for sure. No doubt. Which is precisely why they were guaranteed to leave when we lost our place in the Prem. Sure, it would have been just splendid had any of them decided they fancied a stint in the Championship, but that's obviously not the case and we sure as fuck can't force them, can we?

So either people are losing their minds because we've sold players unequipped for the prem or the players we've sold are prem quality for sure and were guaranteed to leave. Which is it? 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We’ve sold players for tens of millions to some of England and Frances biggest clubs, kind of suggests those players were the issue 

Interesting that we’ve sold a number of players for large amounts yet we were absolutely pants last season. We obviously had some decent players yet were a really shit team. Now we might just end up a shit team with shit players 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Galway saint said:

Interesting that we’ve sold a number of players for large amounts yet we were absolutely pants last season. We obviously had some decent players yet were a really shit team. Now we might just end up a shit team with shit players 

Two appalling managers, a losing mentality, a shambles behind the scenes   a load of players who downed tools when the going got tough. The fact that they were able to get results against the better teams proves we weren’t that bad but the results home to wolves and Forest were unforgivable and why we went down. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

We had some good individuals that couldn't be successfully fashioned into a good team because we lacked premier league experience in key positions and we had at least two managers who were not suited to the Premier league so they were poorly coached. 

• Like 5

Just now, Turkish said:

Two appalling managers, a losing mentality, a shambles behind the scenes   a load of players who downed tools when the going got tough. The fact that they were able to get results against the better teams proves we weren’t that bad but the results home to wolves and Forest were unforgivable and why we went down. 

Agree apart from Wolves going down to 10  was unfair on us. We would have won easily if they still had 11 on the pitch

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He’s only recently turned 18, and he’s had a few niggling injuries lately. People need to calm down on him.

Agree, this is nothing we haven’t seen before from David McGoldrick and Andrei Pereplyotkin. Let’s not build him up too high.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You can add to that the abysmal recruitment in January. Whoever oversaw that wants shooting 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So either people are losing their minds because we've sold players unequipped for the prem or the players we've sold are prem quality for sure and were guaranteed to leave. Which is it? 

C'mon dude, don't be obtuse. I was really very clearly implying that having sold the good stuff, we're now moving onto the 'rest' 🙄

11 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

C'mon dude, don't be obtuse. I was really very clearly implying that having sold the good stuff, we're now moving onto the 'rest' 🙄

I don't think you can say that the current incarnation of Tella would be a failure in the prem. Adams is an average premier league player and will probably do alright at Everton. He's a useful premier league squad player and certainly not a failure. KWP is a decent premier league player, Sulemana didn't get much of a chance last year but looked good towards the end of the season and certainly not a proven failure. 

So who are the proven failures in the prem you're talking about? I woild say that many of the proven failures are Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Diallo, Stephens, Bednarek and Walcott rather than the players we are going to sell. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

After watching Leeds v West Brom. How much for Alex Palmer? 

That's the power of a good keeper. I want Bazunu to be that.... Will we ever see it? 

Agree. Not sure Baz would have got anywhere near the shot from James that he tipped over the bar.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I'm not saying that for one moment. I'm just pointing out that he's demonstrably unproven in the Prem.

Agreed. So I assume he isn't one of the players you are including that were "thoroughly underequipped for life in the prem". 

Edited by hypochondriac

6 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Oh please give me a rebutal of how Bazunu is at least a championship level keeper that doesn't require gifs, hopes or dreams. It would make my evening. ;)

The original comment was about a keeper who has a good game, in which someone replied Baz has never had one above League 1. Point was proven. Not sure where you are going.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

The original comment was about a keeper who has a good game, in which someone replied Baz has never had one above League 1. Point was proven. Not sure where you are going.

Clearly around in circles. Take your well judged response elsewhere. (Still think he is in no way able to be our keeper this year mind.)

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Colinjb said:

After watching Leeds v West Brom. How much for Alex Palmer? 

That's the power of a good keeper. I want Bazunu to be that.... Will we ever see it? 

No.

But all the clapping seals in the crowd at the fans forum think otherwise - or are too scared to affront their ‘gaffer’

59 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Agreed. So I assume he isn't one of the players you are including that were "thoroughly underequipped for life in the prem". 

Jesus fucking christ, man. Goading strangers on the internet is no way to be spending your Friday nights.

We were fucking shit last season. And for much of the season before. Proper, proper shite. Underequipped for life in Prem, yes. As a result, I'm not super upset to see the squad undergo a rebuild. But yes, that means some not quite as shite players, and dare I say one or two actually quite good players, may move on in the process. Not least because our relegation means they will demand it.

Is that OK? Does that summary meet with your approval? Can we continue on with our lives now? Or shall we carry on poking one another with sticks?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Jesus fucking christ, man. Goading strangers on the internet is no way to be spending your Friday nights.

We were fucking shit last season. And for much of the season before. Proper, proper shite. Underequipped for life in Prem, yes. As a result, I'm not super upset to see the squad undergo a rebuild. But yes, that means some not quite as shite players, and dare I say one or two actually quite good players, may move on in the process. Not least because our relegation means they will demand it.

Is that OK? Does that summary meet with your approval? Can we continue on with our lives now? Or shall we carry on poking one another with sticks?

I'm replying to your comments on a messageboard  and trying to understand what you meant when you said that posters on here were getting upset by players being sold who were underequipped for the Premier league.

I agree that we were shit last year but that's mostly due to the combination of players we had on the pitch, the awful coaching, the lack of strikers and some horrendous players - many of whom have already left or who aren't getting in the team any time soon. I don't agree with you that the players currently being linked with moves away (Tella, Sulemana, ABK, Adams) were examples of obvious premier league failures so I don't think it's an overreaction to consider those players to be clear losses to our team. It's a message board where someone writes something and somebody else replies. Best not to get all offended because someone asks you to elaborate. 

Edited by hypochondriac

6 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I must have missed the bit where we’ve lost Sulemana, ABK, Adams, Tella and KWP.. the twitter admin is doing a terrific job keeping those departures under wraps

Amazing he’s come up with a list of our better players, some already sold on to premier league clubs, and stated they’d be starters in the championship 😂😂😂 genius post.

21 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler said:

Amazing he’s come up with a list of our better players, some already sold on to premier league clubs, and stated they’d be starters in the championship 😂😂😂 genius post.

Eh? I think you have misread or misunderstood the post. My response was to smirking Saint talking about newly relegated teams who had lost players who were starters. I did ask him what he meant by starters but I assumed he meant starters from the previous season. If he didn't mean that then I find it highly questionable the idea that Watford lost 9 of their starting championship 11 after the season had started. 

Edited by hypochondriac

5 hours ago, so22saint said:

Have we been linked with actually buying or loaning anybody?

Looking at a move for Jermain defoe or Dean Windass but depends on outgoings 

The manager didn’t seem to have much insight into what was going on from the press conferences.

sensed there was some frustration there - skinny squad  

In review at the end of last season there was a need to completely revamp the squad - a bloated squad of mediocre players not suited to the Prem and by inference also not suited to mount a serious challenge for the Championship title in the following season. To bring in new players we had to sell a number of players and this might mean selling the ‘better’ players…i.e. the ones that occupied first team slots in the Prem.

So where are we with two weeks of window left? We’ve got a completely new coaching team. We’ve sold or released a good number of first team players, bringing in an unprecedented amount of money. We’ve brought back loanees in Tella and Stephens - both of whom were thought not to be good enough by previous Managers, but did better in other teams. We’ve signed for free a LB in Manning who immediately gets a start because he’s RM’s ears and eyes in the dressing room. RM has indicated that we’ll be getting Downes as a loan, but that’s yet to materialise and he’s delaying with a sick note story.

Is this a good window so far? Well part of the objective of ridding the club of underperforming players has worked, but the problem is we’re still left with players that contributed to the last 2-3 shit seasons…e.g. Bednarek, Bree, ABK, Perraud, Armstrong, Djenepo, Lyanco etc etc. And we’re still left with the players that we’re not deemed good enough to even feature as first team starters…e.g. Tall Paul, Mara etc. We’re still at a point where there’s talk of our more effective players (KWP, Che, Alcarez and even Tella) being sold.

Have we really moved on with plans to get quality replacements? Emphatically NO not yet, however there’s still time to get business done. Based on previous windows I think there’s every reason for fans to feel nervous and to a certain extent let down by the club…after all relegation has an aftermath which we’re now experiencing. Cannot underestimate the importance of the next two weeks for the club, especially in terms of keeping supporters onside and maintaining 29k through the turnstiles.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes. Some German 3rd division player for 850k.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12421503/amp/Southampton-keen-850k-valued-midfielder-Luca-Kerber-German-tier-club-Saarbrucken-Championship-look-replace-Romeo-Lavia-James-Ward-Prowse.html

Reminds me of the 90s when we'd sign players like Dryden from the lower leagues that nobody had ever heard of. 

10 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

In review at the end of last season there was a need to completely revamp the squad - a bloated squad of mediocre players not suited to the Prem and by inference also not suited to mount a serious challenge for the Championship title in the following season. To bring in new players we had to sell a number of players and this might mean selling the ‘better’ players…i.e. the ones that occupied first team slots in the Prem.

So where are we with two weeks of window left? We’ve got a completely new coaching team. We’ve sold or released a good number of first team players, bringing in an unprecedented amount of money. We’ve brought back loanees in Tella and Stephens - both of whom were thought not to be good enough by previous Managers, but did better in other teams. We’ve signed for free a LB in Manning who immediately gets a start because he’s RM’s ears and eyes in the dressing room. RM has indicated that we’ll be getting Downes as a loan, but that’s yet to materialise and he’s delaying with a sick note story.

Is this a good window so far? Well part of the objective of ridding the club of underperforming players has worked, but the problem is we’re still left with players that contributed to the last 2-3 shit seasons…e.g. Bednarek, Bree, ABK, Perraud, Armstrong, Djenepo, Lyanco etc etc. And we’re still left with the players that we’re not deemed good enough to even feature as first team starters…e.g. Tall Paul, Mara etc. We’re still at a point where there’s talk of our more effective players (KWP, Che, Alcarez and even Tella) being sold.

Have we really moved on with plans to get quality replacements? Emphatically NO not yet, however there’s still time to get business done. Based on previous windows I think there’s every reason for fans to feel nervous and to a certain extent let down by the club…after all relegation has an aftermath which we’re now experiencing. Cannot underestimate the importance of the next two weeks for the club, especially in terms of keeping supporters onside and maintaining 29k through the turnstiles.

These are my thoughts exact thoughts on the situation. The only thing I would add is I’m not confident there is any real intent to spend the money collected other than on cheap loans and low cost purchases. 

I hope I’m wrong and in the next two weeks we see some quality that turns us into a promotion chasing team. 

In reality I see Tella, Adam’s, KWP, ABK and Sulemana getting sold.

That will be well over 200m recovered, investment recovered and a free club.

the hope will be that the young players develop over the next 2/3 years into a team capable of challenging.

• Like 5

It’s great to read that RM has convinced some to stay on after he swayed them. My guess is its Alcarez and Smallbone.  Long shots Stephens, Stu and Adam Armstrong.

The likes of Che Adams & KWP are on too heavy wages and the club probably needs them gone.

Real shame as they are good for this division but IMHO terrible in the premiership.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

These are my thoughts exact thoughts on the situation. The only thing I would add is I’m not confident there is any real intent to spend the money collected other than on cheap loans and low cost purchases. 

I hope I’m wrong and in the next two weeks we see some quality that turns us into a promotion chasing team. 

In reality I see Tella, Adam’s, KWP, ABK and Sulemana getting sold.

That will be well over 200m recovered, investment recovered and a free club.

the hope will be that the young players develop over the next 2/3 years into a team capable of challenging.

Agreed. I guess the only thing to add is that we’ve also added Charles and SAA into the first team choices - both seemingly as promising as Tino and Lavia. However, this league needs experienced, hardened players too - ones that are committed to the project, particularly in the backbone of the side. And clinical finishers.