Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

29 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

Are the goals bigger in the championship or the goalkeepers shorter? Some must think so if they worry about losing Che Adams who had many chances last season and missed most of them. I would rather let him go and bring in Piroe who seems to be a current goalscorer in the formation that the new manager plays. 

Doesnt Adams have two in two despite starting neither game?

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

What shit players have we replaced with useful ones? 

To clarify - that's more a general aspirational point than an observation about our signings to date. At the moment we have 3 shit CBs and 1 potentially good one that doesn't want to play for us. If we allow the "trim the bloated squad" argument to dominate in the last two weeks, we're going to end up with a squad that's, well, shit. Same with our attackers.

• Like 2

Just now, verlaine1979 said:

To clarify - that's more a general aspirational point than an observation about our signings to date. At the moment we have 3 shit CBs and 1 potentially good one that doesn't want to play for us. If we allow the "trim the bloated squad" argument to dominate in the last two weeks, we're going to end up with a squad that's, well, shit. Same with our attackers.

As has been said, the squad has been trimmed to a certain extent. From here I reckon we’re basically at a 1 in 1 out scenario. And, to be honest, with the exception of losing Salisu and DCC with none incoming, most of our major outgoings have seen a replacement in any case.

12 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sad isn’t it. 😂

Not sure their outgoing DOF will venture back to Yorkshire in the near future!

It’s hilarious. Giving it the big un when they got the new owner and Farke in, now they’re in meltdown, if you thought us lot was bad you sound spend an afternoon in the bar at my golf club 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Well if that comes to pass I will absolutely give the club credit. Keeping kwp, Alcaraz and Tella will imo be a statement of intent that we are gunning for immediate automatic promotion. Assuming they both do go, would you be more aligned with pilchards and his opinion? 

Two things

- I don’t believe he has any information of any significance 

- It will delend on our response really, not sure there has ever been a club that hasn’t lost its best players when they got relegated, depends on replacements and so far I think they’ve been sound

• Like 1

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Two things

- I don’t believe he has any information of any significance 

- It will delend on our response really, not sure there has ever been a club that hasn’t lost its best players when they got relegated, depends on replacements and so far I think they’ve been sound

Agreed. There’s always going to be a drop in quality but I think our replacements for everything bar CB has been good for this level, especially when you take into account the reintegration of Tella and Smallbone.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s hilarious. Giving it the big un when they got the new owner and Farke in, now they’re in meltdown, if you thought us lot was bad you sound spend an afternoon in the bar at my golf club 🤣🤣

What??? Leeds fans with an unworldly sense of entitlement?? I would never have believed it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Agreed. There’s always going to be a drop in quality but I think our replacements for everything bar CB has been good for this level, especially when you take into account the reintegration of Tella and Smallbone.

Others seem to agree - not a bad summarisation 

https://www.givemesport.com/southampton-alcaraz-holgate-transfer-news-russell-martin/#southampton-transfer-news---latest

30 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

As has been said, the squad has been trimmed to a certain extent. From here I reckon we’re basically at a 1 in 1 out scenario. And, to be honest, with the exception of losing Salisu and DCC with none incoming, most of our major outgoings have seen a replacement in any case.

Surely Stephens should be counted as an incoming replacing DCC? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Mush on sky saying their players agreed 60% wage cuts when relegated but had clauses inserted that if X,Y or Z was met they could go on loan/be sold. 

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Pilchards doesn’t really know anything, of that Im confident 

WRONG!

I told you in May that we need to offload 21 players and I have a very, very close source. We will get close to that target when Adams, KWP, Tella, Sully, Tall Paul, Mccarthey, Simeu plus some other squad players move on. (If we get the price that is set)

I also told you that we had approached Nathan Jones way, way before he was even mentioned. I never even heard of Jones myself when I told you guys. Pie in the sky?!? Yeah right!

I will also add that we took an interest in Carrick as the new manager at the start of the season but he was not interested in leaving the north. Have no idea if we offered him the job.

Edited by Pilchards
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

If anything I think it’s a little bit of a dramatic article and kind of gives the idea that we haven’t done much business incoming. As I see it:

Tino out; Manning in. Not like for like but balances us up at 2RB and 2LB.

DCC out; Stephens in.

Diallo, Lavia, JWP out; Smallbone, Charles, Downes (hopefully) in.

Elyounoussi, Walcott out; Tella, Sam A-A in.

Pruned with no replacement: Salisu, Orsic.

As long as any more outgoings have a replacement incoming (which I think they mostly will, though I see the squad size still coming down by 1 or 2 more) then I’m alright with what we’ve done so far.

Edited by The Kraken
DCC out / Stephens in
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Yeah agree, I think we needed a CB in before now, we know ABK is off and Lyanco isn’t up to it

18 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

WRONG!

I told you in May that we need to offload 21 players and I have a very, very close source. We will get close to that target when Adams, KWP, Tella, Sully, Tall Paul, Mccarthey, Simeu plus some other squad players move on. (If we get the price that is set)

I also told you that we had approached Nathan Jones way, way before he was even mentioned. I never even heard of Jones myself when I told you guys. Pie in the sky?!? Yeah right!

I will also add that we took an interest in Carrick as the new manager at the start of the season but he was not interested in leaving the north. Have no idea if we offered him the job.

You got all that sat up a tree? Impressive.

• Haha 2

Amongst all the doom and gloom of what if's and maybe's it's worth remembering another comment made by Martin on Tuesday night, that certain players who wanted out after relegation have changed their minds and are happy to stay. He didn't name them but there were lots of smiles at SMS on Wednesday from SArmstrong, Adams, Tella and Alcaraz. 🤞

• Like 1

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Amongst all the doom and gloom of what if's and maybe's it's worth remembering another comment made by Martin on Tuesday night, that certain players who wanted out after relegation have changed their minds and are happy to stay. He didn't name them but there were lots of smiles at SMS on Wednesday from SArmstrong, Adams, Tella and Alcaraz. 🤞

Pretty sure that was just Stuart Armstrong who is not a bad player but is someone who I wouldn't be devastated if we lost (particularly if they are going to play him in centre midfield.) 

31 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Mush on sky saying their players agreed 60% wage cuts when relegated but had clauses inserted that if X,Y or Z was met they could go on loan/be sold. 

I was told they all have big wage cuts as part of their contacts but some players have really low releases clauses, at least one even has a clause that says if a premier league club comes in for them Leeds have to sell whatever the offer. This came from a decent source. 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I was told they all have big wage cuts as part of their contacts but some players have really low releases clauses, at least one even has a clause that says if a premier league club comes in for them Leeds have to sell whatever the offer. This came from a decent source. 

Backed up I guess by Rodrigo, signed in 2020 for £27m but had a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for £3m.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Lots of them had clauses inserted saying they can leave on loan if a PL side comes in for them. Hence Leeds have only managed to bring in £4 or £5 mill for all the players who have left

21 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Lots of them had clauses inserted saying they can leave on loan if a PL side comes in for them. Hence Leeds have only managed to bring in £4 or £5 mill for all the players who have left

All.the players signed in the last 12 months of the former owner have. His leaving gift... couldn't happen to a nicer club...Peter Ridsdale days loom again.

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

You're all losing your minds about the club selling players who have proven they are thoroughly underequipped for life in the Prem - and life in the Prem is what awaits if we're successful in the Championship. What on earth would be the point in this whole exercise if we fight to keep hold of these players, claw our way back up to the top flight and then find ourselves in a similar position to that which got us relegated, with a team of fucking wasters who cannot score or defend? Are we really thinking RM is so talented that he can get things out of this squad that three successive managers have been unable to?

We've all spent months and months and months begging for a clearout. Now we're getting it and y'all are kicking off? I just cannot fathom.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

You're all losing your minds about the club selling players who have proven they are thoroughly underequipped for life in the Prem - and life in the Prem is what awaits if we're successful in the Championship. What on earth would be the point in this whole exercise if we fight to keep hold of these players, claw our way back up to the top flight and then find ourselves in a similar position to that which got us relegated, with a team of fucking wasters who cannot score or defend? Are we really thinking RM is so talented that he can get things out of this squad that three successive managers have been unable to?

We've all spent months and months and months begging for a clearout. Now we're getting it and y'all are kicking off? I just cannot fathom.

Which players proved themselves unequipped for the prem? Jwp? Lavia? Tella? KWP? Tino? 

• Like 4

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Dread to think what the whiners and moaners on here would be saying if we had Leeds summer window.

I'd be saying the people in charge who negotiated those contracts are fucking idiots abd are largely at fault for the mess at Leeds. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not quite the same thing though is it. Loan clauses in contracts mean it's an inevitability.

So if Che and Sulemana and Tella etc all had loan clauses and just left more quickly that would have been better?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Which players proved themselves unequipped for the prem? Jwp? Lavia? Tella? KWP? Tino? 

Tella? Huh, OK 😘

But yeah - JWP, Lavia, KWP and Tino are all Prem quality for sure. No doubt. Which is precisely why they were guaranteed to leave when we lost our place in the Prem. Sure, it would have been just splendid had any of them decided they fancied a stint in the Championship, but that's obviously not the case and we sure as fuck can't force them, can we?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Dom Ballard, 2 hat tricks in 2 games, there's a striker...... 😁

Seems to be at that level where he’s smashing it at u21 level but not quite at the level for men’s football but needs to play. Hopefully will be part of the squad and brought on as sub when we are cruising with 3 and 4 goal leads later this season

• Like 4