Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, modern matron said:

Mowbray's air miles!  He'll be able to get a set of jump leads and a big Toblerone after this window.

• Haha 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Looks like a cheap gamble. At least it's a new link to a player. 

I knew we'd go for a younger high potential type. A player who is haply to be on the bench. This allows Smallbone to carry on playing whilst adding some competition.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, modern matron said:

Doesn't sound like he's too keen to move anywhere this summer.  He said this after being linked with Rangers:

Kerber said: "The international interest is a great honor for me and is also the result of my performances so far this season.

"However, I can completely rule out a transfer this season.

"FC Saarbrucken is the club of my heart and my dream is to see them in Bundesliga II before thinking about any transfer.

"And I still have a lot planned for the future with my club."

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Doesn't sound like he's too keen to move anywhere this summer.  He said this after being linked with Rangers:

Kerber said: "The international interest is a great honor for me and is also the result of my performances so far this season.

"However, I can completely rule out a transfer this season.

"FC Saarbrucken is the club of my heart and my dream is to see them in Bundesliga II before thinking about any transfer.

"And I still have a lot planned for the future with my club."

Fuck him!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Fulham kept Mitrovic to break Lambert's record, Sheffield United kept Sander Berge, Watford kept Sarr and Pedro, Bournemouth kept Solanke (bagged 29, so you wouldn't put that past Adams) and Danjuma, Norwich kept Pukki, Aarons and Buendia

Most of those players are fucking shit to be fair.

Mitro was kept after he scored 3 goals in a season, he wasn't some in demand wonder player.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I knew we'd go for a younger high potential type. A player who is haply to be on the bench. This allows Smallbone to carry on playing whilst adding some competition.

May not actually be the worst thing in the world given our strength in midfield. It's defenders and attackers I really want to see us linked to. 

• Like 2

I know many of you are going to hate this but I did tell you that any player will leave if the correct price is met.

Che Adams gets 3.1M wages a year plus win and goal bonuses on top of that.

If we bought Piroe he would cost £624k in wages a year.

Piroe would have a good sell value from his 4 year contract and he would be hungry to reach the premiership with us.

This is very much the Brighton model which we are now starting to copy.

Who’s next to leave the club? Everyone basically because they all have a price. 

Is Russell Martin happy about this? I doubt it but this is why he was brought into the club to be part of the rebuild.
Out with the overpaid and in with a mixture of cheap and youth.

And that is why I said we won’t be targeting promotion this season (my own personal view)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I know many of you are going to hate this but I did tell you that any player will leave if the correct price is met.

Check out fucking Nostradamus over here. Fair play for working that one out mate, spotters badge for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Piroe would have a good sell value from his 4 year contract and he would be hungry to reach the premiership with us.

Is Russell Martin happy about this? I doubt it but this is why he was brought into the club to be part of the rebuild.

And that is why I said we won’t be targeting promotion this season (my own personal view)

Well that's going to go down like a cup of cold sick if true. What a way to waste fan goodwill (why bother publically talking about automatic promotion?) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Check out fucking Nostradamus over here. Fair play for working that one out mate, spotters badge for you.

TBF though as I said earlier, the level of sales in one window is unprecedented for any other relegated team so it is quite unusual to predict the volume of bodies out the door. 

8 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Got any more unbelievable nuggets of wisdom……

• Like 1

TBF though as I said earlier, the level of sales in one window is unprecedented for any other relegated team so it is quite unusual to predict the volume of bodies out the door. 

I disagree, I don’t think it is anything other than was predicted on here when last season ended. I’m not going to bother myself going back and looking at the threads back then but I know what I myself and others posted at the time; and it was that it was quite well expected that there would be a huge turnover of players in and out, and it was pretty much accepted that we would lose more than we would sign as the old squad was very bloated due to a catastrophic transfer policy last summer and January.

• Like 1

Just now, The Kraken said:

I disagree, I don’t think it is anything other than was predicted on here when last season ended. I’m not going to bother myself going back and looking at the threads back then but I know what I myself and others posted at the time; and it was that it was quite well expected that there would be a huge turnover of players in and out, and it was pretty much accepted that we would lose more than we would sign as the old squad was very bloated due to a catastrophic transfer policy last summer and January.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing about. If we end up selling kwp, Sulemana, Adams and Tella then sales are literally unprecedented for any relegated team. Unless you can find an example of a relegated team who did similar and prove me wrong of course. 

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We don’t, but if someone if offering 15m for a player out of contract next year, or 15-18m for Tella… we’ll probably sell.. its not rocket science is it ?

why sell Tella for £15m?..that is hardly rocket science, it is stupidity.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing about. If we end up selling kwp, Sulemana, Adams and Tella then sales are literally unprecedented for any relegated team. Unless you can find an example of a relegated team who did similar and prove me wrong of course. 

Hands up, seems like I misread the meaning of your post. Looks like I mistakenly read your comment of “it is quite unusual to predict the volume of bodies out the door.” as it being difficult to predict; seems I got that wrong so hands up. I was just saying that, while it may be unprecedented in numbers in/out, it was kind of predicted on here that it would happen, and it pretty much had/has to happen.

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

why sell Tella for £15m?..that is hardly rocket science, it is stupidity.

Alex - I started to list the number of stupid decisions made by SR and SFC recently but haven’t the time as there are so many. What’s about to go down will just add to the long list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We don’t, but if someone if offering 15m for a player out of contract next year, or 15-18m for Tella… we’ll probably sell.. its not rocket science is it ?

And then if we sell everyone, leaving us with less than two weeks to adequately replace everyone and train them in the managers way of playing and then we miss out on promotion as a consequence, it's going to end up costing a heck of a lot more than whatever premium we got on Tella and Adams. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

In my opinion KWP, Tella and in particular Alcaraz are the ones to watch, as realistically all three are realistic keepers if a promotion bounceback is being masterminded.

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

How is it ? We lost 2 players to Top 6 teams and 1 we allowed leave due to his service, Id rather we kept JWP but apparently the agreement pre dates relegation 

Outside of that who are we against selling ? Diallo ? Orsic ? DCC ? Even Salisu people wanted gone

Its hardly unprecedented 

Leicester lost 5 starters

Leeds lost 7 are about to lose another

Where is this bullshit ‘unprecedented’ crap coming from ?

Im concerned about a lack of depth at CB but thats it really, so long as Downes comes in.. the Smallbone injury shows we might need 1 more and RM has stated he thinks the same

Genuinely the absolute state of panic on here today is a bit pathetic, us and Leicester have comfortably the best 11s in the league and we currently have better depth, as well as the club literally stating in the fans forum and presser we’re probably looking at more than 3 incomings

The responses today are dramatic at best

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

And then if we sell everyone, leaving us with less than two weeks to adequately replace everyone and train them in the managers way of playing and then we miss out on promotion as a consequence, it's going to end up costing a heck of a lot more than whatever premium we got on Tella and Adams. 

if there is no financial reason to sell, why the hell would we move Tella on, a player who ripped up the Championship, pivotal to the team that won the league last season and made team of the year, who Martin has already said he wants him to stay.  He is not going to be on £60-oddk a week...

Given the unprecedented and record amounts we have already generated, this one makes no sense and sure the club are not that daft to actually do it.

• Like 1

ABK and Sulemana both seem like players that can be replaced before being sold, assuming those reading the runes about them not wanting to play second tier football are true (and they probably are). Both will be snapped up if we set their prices to sell.

If you're restructuring a squad you can either try to reduce bloat or you can try to maximise profit. You can't do both.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Hands up, seems like I misread the meaning of your post. Looks like I mistakenly read your comment of “it is quite unusual to predict the volume of bodies out the door.” as it being difficult to predict; seems I got that wrong so hands up. I was just saying that, while it may be unprecedented in numbers in/out, it was kind of predicted on here that it would happen, and it pretty much had/has to happen.

Fair enough. I think everyone knew there would be a significant turnover of players. I don't think many people predicted we would be in this position three weeks into the season and I'm not sure anyone believed we would be selling virtually every single one of our decent players with the only ones left the ones with significant weaknesses. I thought I was being pessimistic when I predicted us to keep two or maybe three. 

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

if there is no financial reason to sell, why the hell would we move Tella on, a player who ripped up the Championship, pivotal to the team that won the league last season and made team of the year, who Martin has already said he wants him to stay.  He is not going to be on £60-oddk a week...

Given the unprecedented and record amounts we have already generated, this one makes no sense and sure the club are not that daft to actually do it.

This basically. Unless he goes on strike and refuses to play or something. 

Fair enough. I think everyone knew there would be a significant turnover of players. I don't think many people predicted we would be in this position three weeks into the season and I'm not sure anyone believed we would be selling virtually every single one of our decent players with the only ones left the ones with significant weaknesses. I thought I was being pessimistic when I predicted us to keep two or maybe three. 

Still might keep 2 or 3 yet. 

But, as other folks have said before, it is no surprise that anyone who is any good has already/will fuck off and all of the shit players will stay until their contracts run down. That's the way of the world

• Like 1

This, the fanbase could see there would be high turnover but the revolving door has been set to exit so far.  Reasonable to think we'd have brought a few in by now.

• Like 1

Ivd just gone back through anyway… its a fucking fallacy that relegated clubs don’t lose their best players

22/23

Burnley lost 7 starters including their best forward player and an entire back line

Watford lost 9

Norwich lost 6 but then they were fucking awful

Edit - We’ve lost 3 starters btw.. 4 if you include Salisu.. I imagine that will end up at around 6 maybe 7… so entirely in keeping with most relegated outfits that have squads of capable players

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 10

6 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

ABK and Sulemana both seem like players that can be replaced before being sold, assuming those reading the runes about them not wanting to play second tier football are true (and they probably are). Both will be snapped up if we set their prices to sell.

If you're restructuring a squad you can either try to reduce bloat or you can try to maximise profit. You can't do both.

I wonder if the Sheffield Wednesday game with our premier league players stroking around the park will be viewed with hindsight as the high water mark of the season. Most players we have got rid of so far haven't really featured this year and so aren't really any sort of loss, whereas the ones being linked with moves away now will weaken us significantly. It will certainly be an interesting fortnight whatever happens. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Still might keep 2 or 3 yet. 

But, as other folks have said before, it is no surprise that anyone who is any good has already/will fuck off and all of the shit players will stay until their contracts run down. That's the way of the world

No you're wrong. It is a surprise. No other team has sold this many. There are no examples of relegated teams selling this amount of their top players. Saying its no surprise and the way of the world is a false narrative designed to make us feel better. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ivd just gone back through anyway… its a fucking fallacy that relegated clubs don’t lose their best players

22/23

Burnley lost 7 starters including their best forward player and an entire back line

Watford lost 9

Norwich lost 6 but then they were fucking awful

I looked at Burnley and I'm not familiar enough with all the players but 4 went for £10m plus each plus a high volume of bodies out. It clearly happens.

But we seem to be on a forum where Norwich keeping Pukki is suddenly comparable to us keeping Lavia or JWP.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Most of those players are fucking shit to be fair.

Mitro was kept after he scored 3 goals in a season, he wasn't some in demand wonder player.

I mean Che was pretty shit last year and clubs still want him. I'm sure PL clubs were interested in Mitro and Fulham resisted whereas we are gambling. 

Just now, CB Fry said:

I looked at Burnley and I'm not familiar enough with all the players but 4 went for £10m plus each plus a high volume of bodies out. 

But we seem to be on a forum where Norwich keeping Pukki is suddenly comparable to us keeping Lavia or JWP.

I genuinely cannot believe somebody put Solanke on that list… solanke… I expect he’s as surprised as anybody that he managed to score 29 fucking goals in the Champ

• Like 1

No you're wrong. It is a surprise. No other team has sold this many. There are no examples of relegated teams selling this amount of their top players. Saying its no surprise and the way of the world is a false narrative designed to make us feel better. 

Not at all. It doesn't make me feel better. Always best to live in reality though and that is the reality.

Also, I think you'll find plenty of other teams that had big numbers of outgoings and this really isn't something out of the ordinary.

Bottom line is any player who can leave to play in the prem will do so. It's human nature. I'd do the same if I was lucky enough to be any good at football.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Not at all. It doesn't make me feel better. Always best to live in reality though and that is the reality.

Also, I think you'll find plenty of other teams that had big numbers of outgoings and this really isn't something out of the ordinary.

Bottom line is any player who can leave to play in the prem will do so. It's human nature. I'd do the same if I was lucky enough to be any good at football.

Large numbers of outgoings yes but that wasn't what I was arguing was it. 

45 minutes ago, modern matron said:

He looks very good - reminds me a little bit of Dean Hammond. 21 so a good age. Could be an undiscovered gem....or a piece of fool's gold. At least he's cheap so not a huge risk in monetary terms - assuming there's anything in the rumour.