Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, SW11_Saint said:
2 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Another one closer to the exit?

Screenshot_20230817-225819.png£12m feels ridiculously low. Worth £20m surely? Not that I want him to go. 

Expand  

20m ? 15m will be the max i reckon. Last year of contract and Everton are skint.

If he did move Everton can look forward to some of this finishing:

https://packaged-media.redd.it/vdz348i9qoib1/pb/m2-res_638p.mp4?m=DASHPlaylist.mpd&v=1&e=1692327600&s=c09fbf206f1953c08269b24145ab068ecb02a279#t=0

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fucking hell, he’s not Glenn Hoddle just because 1 or 2 of his decent passes are on YouTube.

28 years old and still bimbling around in mid table Championship but honestly he's an undiscovered football genius.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Galway saint said:

No downes looks to have some thought to it

by random I mean typically last minute lacking purpose and thought and involving a bit of panic

A classic random loan was maitland Niles

You: A big no to "random" signings, whatever they are...

Good let’s get him out of the door - hopefully that rules him out for Saturday and we can get Mara more involved 

Also you: lets get more game time to Mara, one of the most out random signings we made for years

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:
7 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Screenshot_20230817-225819.png£12m feels ridiculously low. Worth £20m surely? Not that I want him to go. 

Expand  

Last year of Contract, and we dont have room for anyone if he doesnt leave.

No downes looks to have some thought to it

by random I mean typically last minute lacking purpose and thought and involving a bit of panic

A classic random loan was maitland Niles

A guy we had tried to sign a couple of times prior? It wasn't random, lacking thought (scouting) or even panic, it just didn't work out. We had a need at CM and he provided some extra cover at fullback too, that we also wanted.

I suspect the AMN loan deal took a while to put together too, like most transfers. They may appear out of nowhere to fans, and at last minute, but will have taken a while to arrange behind the scenes. 

When Piroe replaces Che, next week, it won't have been a last minute thing. We will have started discussions months before.

The moves we make are not 'random', they are just not always good decisions.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Chez said:

A guy we had tried to sign a couple of times prior? It wasn't random, lacking thought (scouting) or even panic, it just didn't work out. We had a need at CM and he provided some extra cover at fullback too, that we also wanted.

I suspect the AMN loan deal took a while to put together too, like most transfers. They may appear out of nowhere to fans, and at last minute, but will have taken a while to arrange behind the scenes. 

When Piroe replaces Che, next week, it won't have been a last minute thing. We will have started discussions months before.

I imagine Piroe for Adams is one of those transfers than Russell was alluding to when he said we have players waiting patiently for us to make space.

7 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Screenshot_20230817-225819.png

Been saying it all summer. All of em (premiership quality) will depart. Che out, Piroe in has been on the cards since Martin joined us.

Last year of contract, didn't sign a deal with us while we were in the Prem, wants to be in the Prem, had wages cut...I'm surprised he's still here. 

As with Ings, from a business perspective, you have to sell and reinvest. Doesn't mean it will work out, but you have to try. Allowing a £12m asset to disappear for free can't be allowed to happen in the championship. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I imagine Piroe for Adams is one of those transfers than Russell was alluding to when he said we have players waiting patiently for us to make space.

No shit.

I've been posting 'Che will leave, Piroe will replace him' all summer. 

There is just too much logic too it.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm not so sure. The moves we've made at the end of windows lately have smacked of desperation and a bit of random. The ones after we've been linked with a string of players only to see the exciting ones fall.through.

For example: Diallo, Lyanco, Onuachu all seemed to be more about who was available than who we wanted.

Whereas Livramento, Lavia, Charles and Manning were done early and clearly had thought go into them.

Then ones like Carillo and Bree were more driven by the manager.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

28 years old and still bimbling around in mid table Championship but honestly he's an undiscovered football genius.

Like Chrissy Marsden football genius?

To be fair, Grimes has continually improved as a player, but I'm with you, he's not some kind of genius. I'm not entirely certain he improves us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coalman said:

I'm not so sure. The moves we've made at the end of windows lately have smacked of desperation and a bit of random. The ones after we've been linked with a string of players only to see the exciting ones fall.through.

For example: Diallo, Lyanco, Onuachu all seemed to be more about who was available than who we wanted.

Whereas Livramento, Lavia, Charles and Manning were done early and clearly had thought go into them.

Then ones like Carillo and Bree were more driven by the manager.

Fair point. Availability is certainly a factor, just like price. Limitations on both lead you to signing worse players. No doubt about it.

Onuachu was driven by Jones' specification. Onuachu doesn't come here with any other Manager at the helm. He didn't identify him, but he wanted a big lad that does x, y, z...whatever that was (I don't know, as he is shit at so many things). 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fair point. Availability is certainly a factor, just like price. Limitations on both lead you to signing worse players. No doubt about it.

Onuachu was driven by Jones' specification. Onuachu doesn't come here with any other Manager at the helm. He didn't identify him, but he wanted a big lad that does x, y, z...whatever that was (I don't know, as he is shit at so many things). 

Between Pellegrino and Jones we've spaffed £40m on two strikers who scored zero goals and played less than 20 games... That's depressing

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't understand why the club don't just have a policy to only sign players that will definitely be good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

When Piroe replaces Che, next week

Well let's hope so as there's a good song waiting for him (or anyone else we may sign who's name ends in 'o' ...Aribo need not apply :smug: )

There was something in the air that night

The red and white,

Joël Piroe

They were singing there for you and me

For victory,

Joël Piroe

...and repeat

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Well let's hope so as there's a good song waiting for him (or anyone else we may sign who's name ends in 'o' ...Aribo need not apply :smug: )

There was something in the air that night

The red and white,

Joël Piroe

They were singing there for you and me

For victory,

Joël Piroe

...and repeat

Personally I think 7.20 is a bit early to be on the sauce but its 2023.. I won’t judge

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

If that was true then why didnt jones play him? It’s all one big fuck up and the price we have to pay is relegation and selling off all our decent players to pay for it.

It's getting frustrating and of course the club is working on things, but we are losing time here in sorting out our squad. With the players we have available we are not at the lebel to challenge for automatic promotion, and I'd be surprised if we beat Plymouth tomorrow. There's some huge games in September and we could be playing catch up by then. My understanding is Che to Everton is pretty much a done deal. It's disappointing, but equally he could get goals to get us up but we know he can't quite cut it in the PL.

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Any chance we are going to sign a player or two, given many are just lining up to get into the building?

we currently do not have a CM not decent CBs (or keeper). Recipe for Championship mid table mediocrity 

Mate, have you ever watched Sky Sports News during the last few days of the transfer window? That’s when things start happening big time, and it’s not just Southampton, this is how it works. Post this on 2 September if it’s still relevant, then we can all have a meltdown, but until then just let’s see how the next couple of weeks play out. RM did warn us that the team that played Sheff Weds 2 weeks ago will be very different to the team he picks in September. 

3 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

It's getting frustrating and of course the club is working on things, but we are losing time here in sorting out our squad. With the players we have available we are not at the lebel to challenge for automatic promotion, and I'd be surprised if we beat Plymouth tomorrow. There's some huge games in September and we could be playing catch up by then. My understanding is Che to Everton is pretty much a done deal. It's disappointing, but equally he could get goals to get us up but we know he can't quite cut it in the PL.

Anyone who actually thought about this properly would have realised this season is a rebuild and if we get into the playoffs that’s great. Next season will be the big push for top two. The clue came last week when someone, possibly Wilcox said we need to build and get promotion in such a way that we are ready for the Premier League. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Any chance we are going to sign a player or two, given many are just lining up to get into the building?

we currently do not have a CM not decent CBs (or keeper). Recipe for Championship mid table mediocrity 

I must admit the lack of links to incoming players is slightly worrying. I know things can happen fast but if we do want Piroe no doubt we are gonna have to pay more than anyone else because of the RM fiasco with Swansea. Let's just hope Saints are prepared for that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I must admit the lack of links to incoming players is slightly worrying. I know things can happen fast but if we do want Piroe no doubt we are gonna have to pay more than anyone else because of the RM fiasco with Swansea. Let's just hope Saints are prepared for that. 

People getting worried over ‘the lack of links’ will never not be funny.

• Like 1

This season started on 4th Aug but the transfer window shuts on 1st Sept even although last season finished at the end of May !

I don't know what the logic is here but it doesn't half make it difficult to manage for clubs, particularly relegated teams who always have a major rebuild to do ! Sizeable salary drop clauses, individual player ambitions etc.. make wholesale changes inevitable !

IMO it puts the decision makers under undue pressure and sends online websites (like this one) into meltdown...

Sadly we'll probably drop quite a few points before it all gets sorted but I guess that'll apply to Leeds and Leicester also !

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Carillo was pretty random... 

Assuming he goes, we will definitely miss Adams more than some (many?) on here seem to think.

Kind of amusing the clamour for someone like Piroe when we already have a player who has scored goals at this level, above it, and as an Intl for Scotland.

Not that Piroe wouldn't be a good addition, but a starting Che Adams would pretty much be the best or level best striker in the Championship this season - hence he has PL interest from multiple teams.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Saint Troy said:

I didn’t read your post like that - read it more that we don’t need to replace because they’re banging them in and will improve. I just don’t see Armstrong scoring the goals to take us up that che could. Thought his movement 1st half was ok / poor. When we’re static at the back it’s a hard job for him I admit but didn’t think he offered much at all. If someone is going to stay static up top they need to be able to win headed ball. Ches movement, including dropping a little meant we had players between lines and it opened up space in a way Adam couldn’t manage. Liked him wide, liver his effort and do hope he’ll do well but not sure we play in a way that is ideal for his talents 

That’s how his first post came across, a bit of back tracking since then.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

The lack of links to incoming players is a signature of this new regime. A welcome signature if it means we get the right people at the right price in and out the building. Unlike, arguably, previous regimes which practice contributed to and ended up with our relegation. 

9 hours ago, Forester said:

Probably because, uniquely, we have two strikers who when last in the championship scored over twenty goals each.  I agree a back up would be nice in case of injury, but how you can say the attack is not fine with those stats is puzzling

That was back then, apart from Chez I haven’t seen anything to suggest that the others will help us get promoted.

Do you think Armstrong looks like scoring  ? apart from penalties or a slight deflection that he knew nothing about.

1 minute ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

That was back then, apart from Chez I haven’t seen anything to suggest that the others will help us get promoted.

Do you think Armstrong looks like scoring  ? apart from penalties or a slight deflection that he knew nothing about.

WTF? Armstrong is on course to score 69 goals this season!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Assuming he goes, we will definitely miss Adams more than some (many?) on here seem to think.

Kind of amusing the clamour for someone like Piroe when we already have a player who has scored goals at this level, above it, and as an Intl for Scotland.

Not that Piroe wouldn't be a good addition, but a starting Che Adams would pretty much be the best or level best striker in the Championship this season - hence he has PL interest from multiple teams.

Watching him in line against Norwich when he’s on his game he has that Shearer thing about him where he is able to bully, harass and harry defenders into giving space and making mistakes, if he could finish consistently in the Prem would be a top player. At Championship level he would tear it up and score a hatful. Shame he is in last year as that will see him off this window. 

8 hours ago, JRM said:

You beat me to it. Che Adams is miles better than Mara. 

Che is / will/would be a monster at this Championship level. He already looks a bully in the two sub appearances he’s made.

He knows how we play- means a lot in this Russell team and possession style of playing.

Is it worth £12M to get those goals and for that continuity? 

If he leaves preference is a direct replacement WHO KNOWS HOW WE WILL PLAY. And we all know who they should be to get that instant understanding. Only Piroe fits that description.

Is it worth paying a premium for Piroe ( maybe £5-£10m over the Che fee) to get that - or is it better to give Che a fat new extended contract and think about it next season when we are in the EPL?  

Thats what Willcox and co are working out imo. 

• Like 3

I mean the headline from the presser is “manager has same wishes as the fans”, as in the hope for new signings.

Looks like Downes were just waiting for the announcement then.

Got the impression he would be happy to keep Che Adams but everyone had the price going into the final year of contract.

Cant say I’m overly wowed by Piroe though, Swansea reviews make for mixed reading, decent finisher but doesn’t provide much else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No one outside of those two. He was rubbish there in the last game. 

He is trash there, IMO, because his ball retention is awful.  If you were drawing it out on paper, you're probably choosing between him and Charly for the "#10" position.  But, he's not 100% fit, but playing against a team that will park the bus which I'm sure that many will do to us this season, he should be useful in that "#8" position with 1 holding.  He's also a great option off the bench IMO, as he showed at Sheff Weds.

We shall see...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I mean the headline from the presser is “manager has same wishes as the fans”, as in the hope for new signings.

Looks like Downes were just waiting for the announcement then.

Got the impression he would be happy to keep Che Adams but everyone had the price going into the final year of contract.

Cant say I’m overly wowed by Piroe though, Swansea reviews make for mixed reading, decent finisher but doesn’t provide much else.

Re Piroe - a decent finisher - just what I want from my CF

• Like 3