Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Genuine question but why do we need Grimes when we have Charles, Smallbone, Downes, Armstrong and Alcaraz covering the midfield slots? We might be better off with a young kid who'll be happy with max 10 games

For me it's about depth tbh, If we only bring in Downes then we have Charles, Downes and Smallbone for those 2 Midfield positions. 4 is just a good amount and we should allow for suspensions and injury... not to mention there is allt of games this season to contend with too.

1 minute ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Sorry, but I really can’t see how you think our attack is fine now. We need a striker without a doubt.

We have 4 Strikers, 2 pf them have been banging them in already and with confidence they'll likely improve and be consistent too.

Should we sell Che or another striker then yes we need to replace one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

4 is just a good amount and we should allow for suspensions and injury... not to mention there is allt of games this season to contend with too.

The way the ref was dishing out the yellow cards versus Norwich, I think there will be a lot of suspensions over the course of the season.

• Like 3

Just now, Saint NL said:

The way the ref was dishing out the yellow cards versus Norwich, I think there will be a lot of suspensions over the course of the season.

Yeah, what was it, 9 yellows in the end?

I heard that Rotherham had back to back red cards too in there previous two games.

I can imagine we will see alot of rotation because of this.

25 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Genuine question but why do we need Grimes when we have Charles, Smallbone, Downes, Armstrong and Alcaraz covering the midfield slots? We might be better off with a young kid who'll be happy with max 10 games

Smallbone could be injured for months. Charles is young and untested even at this level. Alcaraz is more suited to attacking positions. We absolutely need Downes and one other. We don't want to destroy the youth pathway but Doyle aside we don't have a lot of kids coming through in CM right now and we have a long, hard season ahead.

18 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

We have 4 Strikers, 2 pf them have been banging them in already and with confidence they'll likely improve and be consistent too.

"Banging them in" is not the phrase I would use. Armstrong has scored 3 goals, one he knew nothing about and 2 were penalties (though decent, it is still a free shot on goal). He works hard but he wouldn't be my first choice (unless he played wide). Che has 2 (admittedly good) goals but I wouldn't expect him to be prolific over the season.

We definitely need another striker already IMO, we're just too heavily stocked with crap. If (and probably when) Che goes, and if we can offload Onuachu and/or Mara we'll need two. Ballard as 4th choice should be fine.

Line up with Piroe in attack instead of AA and I think he instantly improves us. I quite like AA for work rate but he's currently our modern day Shane Long.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

If one of the two that’s been banging them in is Armstrong then you may have seen his goals on teletext only! Offers so little movement in the centre (although much greater movement out wide). There’s a need for a good striker for sure - if they are already at the club or not is up for debate, never a better chance to blood Ballard. If che stays and plays I agree he’s going to score a good amount 

1 minute ago, Saint Troy said:

If one of the two that’s been banging them in is Armstrong then you may have seen his goals on teletext only! Offers so little movement in the centre (although much greater movement out wide). There’s a need for a good striker for sure - if they are already at the club or not is up for debate, never a better chance to blood Ballard. If che stays and plays I agree he’s going to score a good amount 

As I have said, we need to shift a striker before we bring one in, and one won't come in until we do. That's the reality.

I've watched Arma, although Che has looked better.. Arma has made alot of runs into the box that just don't get picked up.

Also those penalties will just increase his confidence and help him scoring.

Nixon saying Everton leading the chase for Che Adams with four PL clubs keen.

He will be cheap for a PL side and with a year left on his contract you can imagine a deal will be done.

The signing(s) to replce him will be the key one for us. Get it wrong and it will be very hard to get promoted I think.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

As I have said, we need to shift a striker before we bring one in, and one won't come in until we do. That's the reality.

I've watched Arma, although Che has looked better.. Arma has made alot of runs into the box that just don't get picked up.

Also those penalties will just increase his confidence and help him scoring.

I didn’t read your post like that - read it more that we don’t need to replace because they’re banging them in and will improve. I just don’t see Armstrong scoring the goals to take us up that che could. Thought his movement 1st half was ok / poor. When we’re static at the back it’s a hard job for him I admit but didn’t think he offered much at all. If someone is going to stay static up top they need to be able to win headed ball. Ches movement, including dropping a little meant we had players between lines and it opened up space in a way Adam couldn’t manage. Liked him wide, liver his effort and do hope he’ll do well but not sure we play in a way that is ideal for his talents 

If the right offer comes in for Che then that is that he’s off.

With him able to leave on a free next season then it’s a no brainer to get a good striker in as a replacement. I’m confident to say it’s going to be Piroe.

Personally I wouldn’t want Che wearing a Saints shirt in the premiership ever again as he’s fucking shit. Some of those misses from 3 yards out were embarrassing.

• Like 1

Just now, Pilchards said:

With him able to leave on a free next season then it’s a no brainer to get a good striker in as a replacement. I’m confident to say it’s going to be Piroe.

Personally I wouldn’t want Che wearing a Saints shirt in the premiership ever again as he’s fucking shit. Some of those misses from 3 yards out were embarrassing.

We’d be on a solitary point if it wasn’t for Che so far this season. Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Safe to say you're not his biggest fan.

Don't get me wrong, his finishing is poor but he certainly isn't "fucking shit". 

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Ridiculous post. Easily our best striker and definitely upper championship / lower PL level 

• Like 6

Just now, SaintsFan86 said:

Harwood-Bellis seems close to signing for Leicester. Gutted if he ends up there.

We're not going to be signing a CB until we lose at least 1 of ours though, that's the prob we have.

We were probably counting on either ABK or Lyanco being gone by now, but they're still here. Obviously not complaining if ABK stays, but worst case is that we get a bid on the last day and all of our targets have been taken by other clubs by then.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We're not going to be signing a CB until we lose at least 1 of ours though, that's the prob we have.

We were probably counting on either ABK or Lyanco being gone by now, but they're still here. Obviously not complaining if ABK stays, but worst case is that we get a bid on the last day and all of our targets have been taken by other clubs by then.

You’d like to hope that some players would only be allowed to leave if it’s feasible to replace. For me that would include Che, ABK, Tella and KWP. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

And yet Leicester are currently sitting on 5 CBs themselves with Faes, Coady, Doyle, Souttar and Vestergaard 🤷🏼‍♂️

This waiting until we move one out will result in our top targets going elsewhere and with us hoaking through the bargain/loan bin on deadline day.

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

And yet Leicester are currently sitting on 5 CBs themselves with Faes, Coady, Doyle, Souttar and Vestergaard 🤷🏼‍♂️

This waiting until we move one out will result in our top targets going elsewhere and with us hoaking through the bargain/loan bin on deadline day.

Which is something we’re going to have to live with in order to remain financially stable and balance the books. We still need a net five attacking players out the door in order to have a reasonable sized squad, without bringing anyone in at all. All the talk of ‘clearing out the deadwood’ which seems to crop up when a team gets relegated is just that; talk. In reality these players will be no easier to shift than the likes of Boufal, Carrillo and Clasie were in the PL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Because Grimes can make pinpoint passes that none of them can.

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Which is something we’re going to have to live with in order to remain financially stable and balance the books. We still need a net five attacking players out the door in order to have a reasonable sized squad, without bringing anyone in at all. All the talk of ‘clearing out the deadwood’ which seems to crop up when a team gets relegated is just that; talk. In reality these players will be no easier to shift than the likes of Boufal, Carrillo and Clasie were in the PL.

As some of us said previously… you really aren’t going to have clubs queuing up to snatch Djenepo, Lyanco etc off our hands..

Id imagine we’ll see a few loans in the next week

That said I do expect a minimum of 2/3 incomings before window ends

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We have had a cycle of signing shit players, trying to shift them and when we do signing more shit players and rinse and repeat. Sometime we even compound it by offering new contracts to the shit players whose contract is about to expire.

The window so far has been a damp squib on the incoming front. As I said earlier we look likely to shift the decent players and get a few random loans in. 

Also people who think we are off better off rid of adams are deluded 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Troy said:

Armstrong certainly hasn't scored the goals we'd hoped he would. However, at the fans forum RM stated that he's never been played in the right way and I completely agree with this. The guy has lived off scraps. Now whether RM can get the side playing to Armstrong's strengths is another matter but I believe he is a genuine goalscorer who has been used in completely the wrong way. Nobody can tell me he's missed dozens of chances because he just hasn't had many in the system employed since he was signed.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, GDog07 said:

I thought I remember reading this - I’m still waiting for something to happen :scared:

It’s very very busy, our chairman is working incredibly hard behind the scenes. The pieces are falling into place.

When you stare at the kettle waiting for it to boil it seems to take an eternity when you’re busy doing other things it seems to happen very quickly both amounts of time are the same it’s your perception that’s differ

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

My usual barometer of chatting to some mates who don't bother with any online stuff and there's certainly some murmurs of discontent about the lack of activity over the past week or so. We really need to get a few in after the departure of jwp and likely Lavia shortly. 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

My usual barometer of chatting to some mates who don't bother with any online stuff and there's certainly some murmurs of discontent about the lack of activity over the past week or so. We really need to get a few in after the departure of jwp and likely Lavia shortly. 

If they aren’t a paid up member of here they aren’t real fans 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

maybe the fact they still have five CBs on their books explains why they also have not signed Harwood-Bellis either.

3 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Sorry, but I really can’t see how you think our attack is fine now. We need a striker without a doubt.

Probably because, uniquely, we have two strikers who when last in the championship scored over twenty goals each.  I agree a back up would be nice in case of injury, but how you can say the attack is not fine with those stats is puzzling

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

As I said earlier we look likely to shift the decent players and get a few random loans in. 

What is a random loan? Is Downes one of these `random loans' you mention? Terms like scattergun and random are meaningless. All that matters is if the loans bring in players that are good and perform well.

Just now, Chez said:

What is a random loan? Is Downes one of these `random loans' you mention? Terms like scattergun and random are meaningless. All that matters is if the loans bring in players that are good and perform well.

No downes looks to have some thought to it

by random I mean typically last minute lacking purpose and thought and involving a bit of panic

A classic random loan was maitland Niles

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

Unfortunately Downes has permaschitz syndrome.

35 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Good let’s get him out of the door - hopefully that rules him out for Saturday and we can get Mara more involved 

I hope that was satire. As cack as Adams is, he looks like Shearer compared to Mara.

I'd be surprised I'd we ever saw Mara in a Saints shirt again after the Gillingham game and Russell's interview afterwards which basically translated as "I didn't rate him before the game and I rate him even less now"

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Ridiculous post. Easily our best striker and definitely upper championship / lower PL level 

Agree, I'd like to keep him , would rather not sell to Everton if he must go 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 1