Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

20 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

So are we getting Downes or not? Is he stalling?

Same shit show as last year. We're getting a striker, be patient...*crickets*

If you watch RM’s presser this morning he talks about Downes as if he has signed a deal, and even says if he had been well he’d have been in the squad for this weekend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

It's not so much being upset at him leaving, as being worried that he is the first striker out the door with no signs of another coming in, leaving us with a massively weaker front line.

Apart from the pretty big and significant sign of the manager specifically stating on more than one occasion this week that if Che leaves we will replace him, of course. 

26 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We keep being told the squad is bloated, but is it?

Willy, Tino, Orsic, Diallo, Theo, DCC, AMN, Mo, Lavia, JwP, Salisu (plus other fringe players) have already departed the first team squad, with only 3x coming in, and we are already stretched in CM and CB.

That is before the likelihood of Adams, Big Paul, KwP, AbK and Sully leave...along with the usual unexpected departure

Martin this morning suggested the squad is a bit thin, not bloated. It was bloated at the beginning of the window, but we have had loads of players leave and 5 arrive (including Tella and Will)

24 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Willy, Tino, Orsic, Diallo, Theo, DCC, AMN, Mo, Lavia, JwP, Salisu (plus other fringe players) have already departed the first team squad, with only 3x coming in, and we are already stretched in CM and CB.

Except its not only 3 coming in as Smallbone, Tella & Stephens have all returned as well and SAA seems to have become part of the squad so it is 11 out & 7 in at the moment. If  Downes arrives next week as we have been told that will make 8 and the squad will actually only have reduced by 3. The problem continues to be the number of players that we want to get rid of and are proving hard to shift. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Apart from the pretty big and significant sign of the manager specifically stating on more than one occasion this week that if Che leaves we will replace him, of course. 

Managers always say that but 'Phil' is calling the shots and no way will he resist a sale or encourage expenditure. He's an out and out bean counter and  beans is all he cares about. Don't be too disappointed when Adams leaves and nobody comes in. That has been and seemingly always will be the Saints way. You read it here first.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 1

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

Managers always say that but 'Phil' is calling the shots and no way will he resist a sale nor encourage expenditure. He's an out and out bean counter and  beans is all he cares about. Don't be too disappointed when Adams leaves and nobody comes in. That has been and seemingly always will be the Saints way. You tread its here first.

There is no way we will not replace Adams if he goes

10 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

Or players who need a goal to hit a landmark, or players who have Nigerian surnames and are absolutely useless normaly.

Or Israeli surnames or players who haven’t yet scored for their new clubs weeks after signing 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Leverkusen have bid £18 million for Tella according to the Telegraph. Another one no doubt on his way. 

If that’s true then that’s his asking price so I fully expect he’ll be sold. When do we start saying no even when their price has been met?

13 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Leverkusen have bid £18 million for Tella according to the Telegraph. Another one no doubt on his way. 

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If that’s true then that’s his asking price so I fully expect he’ll be sold. When do we start saying no even when their price has been met?

According to the Echo it’s 18 million euros, just over £15M.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23732612.leverkusen-reportedly-table-opening-bid-southamptons-tella/

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Isn't SR all about player trading?

So I guess the answer on this question is....never.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I guess the "free Nathan Tella" racist mob will be going on a European road trip (assuming they haven't surrendered their passports).

I thought that dopey Yank bint said her campaign was working?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

This transfer window is rapidly turning into everything some of us feared. The noisy young Twitter shirters don’t remember the last relegation so had no idea what was coming. 

I seriously can’t believe even the bellends on Twitter thought we’d keep our best players and sell the crap ones. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

This transfer window is rapidly turning into everything some of us feared. The noisy young Twitter shirters don’t remember the last relegation so had no idea what was coming. 

I know @Smirking_Saint and I disagree on this front, but this is exactly the reason why I would have compromised on the cost of a few players early on in the window, so that we had a settled (to a degree) side by now. 

Ultimately that extra £5m we held out for on JWP or £5m for Tella is no good when we have a week to replace them, by which point targets have moved on. 

Tino / Aarons was a fantastic example of that. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I know @Smirking_Saint and I disagree on this front, but this is exactly the reason why I would have compromised on the cost of a few players early on in the window, so that we had a settled (to a degree) side by now. 

Ultimately that extra £5m we held out for on JWP or £5m for Tella is no good when we have a week to replace them, by which point targets have moved on. 

Tino / Aarons was a fantastic example of that. 

Targets moved on or selling clubs know we are desperate so inflate the price 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I seriously can’t believe even the bellends on Twitter thought we’d keep our best players and sell the crap ones. 

I had someone telling me a few weeks back we dont need to sell to buy. Haven't heard from him since lol

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I had someone telling me a few weeks back we dont need to sell to buy. Haven't heard from him since lol

Mental Manji has been spouting that for months. Its bullshit, it always has been bullshit and it always will be bullshit. 

We have to sell to 1 - reduce the huge squad size, 2 - that huge squad is costing a fortune each week, 3 - we over spent in January and need to re-coup that money.  

• Like 3

Controversial opinion perhaps but still not convinced Tella is worth anywhere near £20m and if he really wants to go (which is probably likely) then I wouldnt be suprised to see it happen.

As RM has said all along, the squad will look very different in Sept and he seemed confident in the press conference this morning that incomings will start soon anf that we will have a strong squad come Sept.

• Like 3

I've previously said we seemingly didn't have financial pressure to sell (and to be fair that may still be the case given that we've waited for bigger fees for our player.) Like others though I did expect us to have made more signings by now and if we do get to the end of the window without sufficient strengthening on what we have currently then that position will have to be questioned for sure. 

1 minute ago, Miltonaggro said:

Last few weeks we've heard several times that we have a number of targets 'patiently waiting' like coiled springs - guess we are about to see how that works out.  

Yep. When the club have been selling players they've also said its a fair price which will allow us to use the money to strengthen. They have to hurry up and do it if they don't want to give the impression that they don't really know what they're doing. 

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Last few weeks we've heard several times that we have a number of targets 'patiently waiting' like coiled springs - guess we are about to see how that works out.  

Grimes was supposedly one of those. He has just signed up at Swansea for another 2 years. Whether he got fed up waiting or we simply were never in for him I don't know

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Controversial opinion perhaps but still not convinced Tella is worth anywhere near £20m and if he really wants to go (which is probably likely) then I wouldnt be suprised to see it happen.

As RM has said all along, the squad will look very different in Sept and he seemed confident in the press conference this morning that incomings will start soon anf that we will have a strong squad come Sept.

Very likely to go, IMO. If the story is true, £15m is pretty close to asking price. 

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Very likely to go, IMO. If the story is true, £15m is pretty close to asking price. 

that would be hilariously ridiculous...and another one to the hilariously ridiculous decisions by the current custodians of SFC

• Like 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

that would be hilariously ridiculous...and another one to the hilariously ridiculous decisions by the current custodians of SFC

Surely we are now in a position where we cannot sell our better players without having a replacement in the building beforehand...🫣

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep. When the club have been selling players they've also said its a fair price which will allow us to use the money to strengthen. They have to hurry up and do it if they don't want to give the impression that they don't really know what they're doing. 

Lord D called this the other day in the aftermath of the fans forum when Wilcox was attracting universal praise, the real test for our new look management group is going to be targeting and attracting incoming players of the right calibre.  We will find out shortly.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Wow. I was pretty damn sure this one would happen - despite it not really being an SR type signing.

Presumably we're not viewing Charles and Downes (assuming he signs) as the only DM options? Must be someone else lined up.