Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes it's hilarious when that's a criticism. I wouldn't care if he literally did nothing all game but was a supreme finisher and scored a few goals. 

“all he does is score goals” so he’s good at the most important part of the game, the sort of striker we’ve not had for years and people criticise that. 🤣🤣

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fucking hell, he’s not Glenn Hoddle just because 1 or 2 of his decent passes are on YouTube.

Who said he's Glenn Hoddle? 1 or 2 decent passes...clearly you haven't watched any videos of him. Let's judge him if he comes although I doubt he will.

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes it's hilarious when that's a criticism. I wouldn't care if he literally did nothing all game but was a supreme finisher and scored a few goals. 

Next you’ll be advocating us signing a keeper that only saves shots but doesn’t do much else.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

“all he does is score goals” so he’s good at the most important part of the game, the sort of striker we’ve not had for years and people criticise that. 🤣🤣

Not comparing but Karl Heinz Rummeniger would do the sum of fuck all for 88 mins when playing for Germany - the two mins he was “doing something” would mean he’d score 1,2or three. Fed up with CF’s that can’t do their job on a regular basis 

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

we have one of those - Adam Armstrong. He is currently the Division's top goal scorer

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Not comparing but Karl Heinz Rummeniger would do the sum of fuck all for 88 mins when playing for Germany - the two mins he was “doing something” would mean he’d score 1,2or three. Fed up with CF’s that can’t do their job on a regular basis 

Yep. We have had quote a number of strikers who do loads of stuff really well apart from scoring goals. 

I’d be interested to know how many on this forum have actually watched him play. 
I don’t know enough about the player to be excited, most of the stuff I’ve seen about him have been through Swansea fans. 

I think we’re only linked with him because of the Russell Martin link, same with Matt Grimes. I’m sure if Martin wasn’t appointed we would be linked with the managers previous club wherever it may have been.

8 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I seem to remember a stat on Haaland for last season where he had something like 22 touches of the ball in 90 minutes, 3 of them were sticking the ball in the net

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’d be interested to know how many on this forum have actually watched him play. 
I don’t know enough about the player to be excited, most of the stuff I’ve seen about him have been through Swansea fans. 

I think we’re only linked with him because of the Russell Martin link, same with Matt Grimes. I’m sure if Martin wasn’t appointed we would be linked with the managers previous club wherever it may have been.

Never seen he play hadn’t heard of him until about 6 weeks ago but WE HAVE TO SIGN HIM

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I mean the headline from the presser is “manager has same wishes as the fans”, as in the hope for new signings.

Looks like Downes were just waiting for the announcement then.

Got the impression he would be happy to keep Che Adams but everyone had the price going into the final year of contract.

Cant say I’m overly wowed by Piroe though, Swansea reviews make for mixed reading, decent finisher but doesn’t provide much else.

The exact same could be said about Che if he his next club were to read this forum. Lets not beat around the bush here, Che was (one of) the big reasons in why we went down last season, he just seemingly doesn't have the composure to score simple goals at the top level. 

Piroe is a goal scorer at this level and that is exactly what we need. He has much more of a physical presence than AA up top, knows the system, knows the manager and the manager knows him. Feels like an absolute no brainer. 

That being said, at the price being quoted (£13m), I'd be keeping Che and letting him walk for free next season. He's already shown he's too good for the championship. 

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

If that was true then why didnt jones play him? It’s all one big fuck up and the price we have to pay is relegation and selling off all our decent players to pay for it.

Probably cos Jones was sacked two games into Onuachu's Saints career. 

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Assuming he goes, we will definitely miss Adams more than some (many?) on here seem to think.

Kind of amusing the clamour for someone like Piroe when we already have a player who has scored goals at this level, above it, and as an Intl for Scotland.

Not that Piroe wouldn't be a good addition, but a starting Che Adams would pretty much be the best or level best striker in the Championship this season - hence he has PL interest from multiple teams.

Makes it all the more strange that RM doesn't consider him good enough to start games.

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

As an example what does Haaland do other than put the ball in the back of the net.

28 minutes ago, saintant said:

Who said he's Glenn Hoddle? 1 or 2 decent passes...clearly you haven't watched any videos of him. Let's judge him if he comes although I doubt he will.

You have posted multiple times about Grimes’ amazing ability to spray passes around “with pinpoint accuracy”.

It’s exactly the same level of hype you were giving Orsic, i.e. that he would score incredible goals at any level and those of us who questioned the signing “clearly hadn’t seen videos” of how amazing he was. 

As you say, let’s judge him if he comes

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I seem to remember a stat on Haaland for last season where he had something like 22 touches of the ball in 90 minutes, 3 of them were sticking the ball in the net

Just now, saintant said:

As an example what does Haaland do other than put the ball in the back of the net.

Correct 

2 hours ago, coalman said:

I'm not so sure. The moves we've made at the end of windows lately have smacked of desperation and a bit of random. The ones after we've been linked with a string of players only to see the exciting ones fall.through.

For example: Diallo, Lyanco, Onuachu all seemed to be more about who was available than who we wanted.

Whereas Livramento, Lavia, Charles and Manning were done early and clearly had thought go into them.

Then ones like Carillo and Bree were more driven by the manager.

I console myself in the fact that not one single person previously involved in these disastrous panic moves is still at the club or still involved in these matters ( looking at you Rambo)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dman said:

The exact same could be said about Che if he his next club were to read this forum. Lets not beat around the bush here, Che was (one of) the big reasons in why we went down last season, he just seemingly doesn't have the composure to score simple goals at the top level. 

Piroe is a goal scorer at this level and that is exactly what we need. He has much more of a physical presence than AA up top, knows the system, knows the manager and the manager knows him. Feels like an absolute no brainer. 

That being said, at the price being quoted (£13m), I'd be keeping Che and letting him walk for free next season. He's already shown he's too good for the championship. 

I agree with this, begs the question though, why would Everton buy Che and not Piroe?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

He's pushing Stuart Armstrong at CM though which no one really wants. 

I think he’ll be fine there in the games that we have the midfield ascendancy

But also two 8’s is mire achievable if we had a decent 6 behind them, be that Charles or Downes

The issue last weekend is that Smallbone just isn’t destructive enough defensively 

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Makes it all the more strange that RM doesn't consider him good enough to start games.

RM explained that in his presser this morning. It sounds like Che was on the verge of leaving, but it didn't happen for whatever reason. That's why he wasn't in the team for the first couple of games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

I agree with this, begs the question though, why would Everton buy Che and not Piroe?

Che is probably a better player than Piroe. We've not seen Piroe tested at the step up as of yet. I don't know, but if their relying on Che to play as a lone striker and score them enough goals to stay up, they're in trouble. 

Given the option of having one or the other this season, I wouldn't swap Piroe for Che. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Che is probably a better player than Piroe. We've not seen Piroe tested at the step up as of yet. I don't know, but if their relying on Che to play as a lone striker and score them enough goals to stay up, they're in trouble. 

Given the option of having one or the other this season, I wouldn't swap Piroe for Che. 

I think Im there.. Im not going to be too upset if we lose Che and gain Piroe.. but Id say its a move that might actually take us backwards, its imo, actually more of a gamble then just keeping Che

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Id say if Everton get anywhere near 15m then he’s off, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t play this weekend and is off early next week

Which is a shame really because I think he’s our most effective forward in this set up

We get absolutely nothing tomorrow without him. He transforms the way in which we play by just having a bit more of a physical presence up there. 

If he isn't involved, we need to start Mara or god forbid, Paul. Scary thought. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I’d much prefer to keep Che than to flog him. It does seem as if his exit has been anticipated for a while though, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s left out again tomorrow. 

It was always going to be a bit of a turmoil of a transfer window where we need to let players go before getting others in. That’s all going to ramp up in the next couple of weeks. Buckle in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

We get absolutely nothing tomorrow without him. He transforms the way in which we play by just having a bit more of a physical presence up there. 

If he isn't involved, we need to start Mara or god forbid, Paul. Scary thought. 

Exactly, and it’s exactly what I said about Haaland. If you’re a team in control then opposing sides will play a low block and most teams will be able to defend what’s infront of them, or trying to find space

That becomes more difficult with a physical No9 that backs in, occupies and plays one twos…. Che, at this level, gives us that

3 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Exactly, and it’s exactly what I said about Haaland. If you’re a team in control then opposing sides will play a low block and most teams will be able to defend what’s infront of them, or trying to find space

That becomes more difficult with a physical No9 that backs in, occupies and plays one twos…. Che, at this level, gives us that

They (plymouth) have 2  dominating CBs also. If we cant utilise movement, armstrong will be a non-event