Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

I would still be really surprised if Adams or Tella leave in this window.  I think they are worth far more to us than any of the buying clubs would be willing to pay and we are pricing them high as a result.  Everton look like they are moving on to another target, Burnley have also moved on from Tella and Leverkusen won't pay what we're after for Tella.  I also can't see us selling either without a replacement at least at their level.  I also can't see that there is a suitable replacement for either available to just slot into our system.  After Downes comes in by Wednesday I would have expected someone like a Harwood-Bellis / Vyner and maybe MacAtee / Hayden to come in plus No.2 GK.  Big Paul, Sully, McC, ABK, Aribo, Djenepo to move on. Though ABK only if we can replace.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Got to be looking to keep Adams and Tella now, surely? This group is looking more as a unit and more established.

We just need to add three or four bodies to the mix and clear on the likes of Perraud, Onuachu, Aribo etc.

Agree in the most part but I hope we keep hold of Perraud. Think he'll be decent at this level and Manning looks a tad iffy so far and that's being generous.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 10

DCL just taken off with what looked like a broken cheekbone colliding with Villa’s keeper. So Everton may need two forwards but probably relies on them selling Maupay overseas for a few buttons and trying to sell Pickford, their last asset. They have been dreadful today, Che will be in the same position he was last season as the main striker in a very poor team with rock bottom morale/cohesion. If he really wants to go/Wilcox really wants the £12m, I’d wait for Palace or Forest.

Even if we keep Che, we should be looking at bringing another striker in. As the season progresses I can see AA playing multiple positions. Therefore we're an injury to Che away from being left with just Mara as our only out and out striker (very likely tall Paul will go).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Good...

Screenshot_20230820-141138.png

just the standard 'if you don't accept our price we will go elsewhere story'. Dyche wants Adams. It's just a matter of whether they can afford him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Even if we keep Che, we should be looking at bringing another striker in. As the season progresses I can see AA playing multiple positions. Therefore we're an injury to Che away from being left with just Mara as our only out and out striker (very likely tall Paul will go).

I do agree with you, But I think we would have to sale Onuachu at the  very least first.

Ballard could also come in too, I think he'll do really well in Ches absence.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

just the standard 'if you don't accept our price we will go elsewhere story'. Dyche wants Adams. It's just a matter of whether they can afford him.

We got the same thing with West ham and then jwp went there in the end. Same thing will happen here most likely. 

7 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

If he really wants to go/Wilcox really wants the £12m, I’d wait for Palace or Forest.

you think Everton haven't even offered £12m? I thought they might have offered that, but we actually want £15m+

Just now, SaintsFan86 said:

I do agree with you, But I think we would have to sale Onuachu at the  very least first.

Ballard could also come in too, I think he'll do really well in Ches absence.

Yeah would love to see Ballard given opportunities too. Thats why a loan to plug some gaps might be the best option

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

We got the same thing with West ham and then jwp went there in the end. Same thing will happen here most likely. 

I would be very surprised to see him in a Saints shirt after the window closes. I resigned to that the day we went down.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yeah would love to see Ballard given opportunities too. Thats why a loan to plug some gaps might be the best option

Is Ballard ready for our first team? He keeps scoring for the u21s, so Martin has to be considering him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

It’s a facial injury, he got a whack on the cheek and had a bit of a shiner. Shouldn’t have thought it’ll keep him out for all that long, if at all.

But then it’s Calvert Lewin, so could be a season ending injury  🙄 

James Ward Prowse playing for West Ham this afternoon, this confirming he has definitely left 😉

Watch him get that free kick record. Wonder if Lavia will be marking him. 
ps if Che goes to Everton his Premier experience will only be getting one more season

• Haha 1

Just now, DT said:

James Ward Prowse playing for West Ham this afternoon, this confirming he has definitely left 😉

ps if Che goes to Everton his Premier experience will only be getting one more season

Lavia not even on the bench. 

I doubt it would take much convincing to sit him down and say you'd be better off here than Everton, but at the end of the day this is being driven by finance - the risk of not getting any money, weighed up to 'breaking even'. 

One day, maybe one day, we'll make a decision for footballing reasons and not pure financial as it's all rather pointless otherwise.

If we lose money, we lose money. We've got a £140 war chest in place to suck that loss up on a couple of players.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

Is anyone really that surprised? 

And we were always going to take around 15 million if he wants to go back to the premier league, especially with Scotland likely to go to the euros. 

Being in the PL makes no difference for Scotland call ups, Lyndon Dykes being an example. 

From a football point of view he'd be better off staying here, but Southampton have once again seen the $$$ so we'll be opening the door for him.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I doubt it would take much convincing to sit him down and say you'd be better off here than Everton, but at the end of the day this is being driven by finance - the risk of not getting any money, weighed up to 'breaking even'. 

One day, maybe one day, we'll make a decision for footballing reasons and not pure financial as it's all rather pointless otherwise.

If we lose money, we lose money. We've got a £140 war chest in place to suck that loss up on a couple of players.

I know we have idiotic owners, but Adams going would be right up there with their monumental list of idiotic decisions

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Being in the PL makes no difference for Scotland call ups, Lyndon Dykes being an example. 

From a football point of view he'd be better off staying here, but Southampton have once again seen the $$$ so we'll be opening the door for him.

Don’t mean for call ups, playing at a better level is important ahead of a big tournament, which will clearly be a factor for why he wants to go. 

55 minutes ago, DT said:

No surprise he left. Your obsession with him gets creepier by the day. 😂

Adams would be best served sticking around, he could easily score 25+ goals this season and have his choice of club to sign for next summer.

If he went to Everton, they’d be just as poor, he would be just as poor as previously Premier League seasons, with a high chance of being relegated at the end.

• Like 2

Very annoying to lose Adams with the season already started but with a year left on his contract I get not wanting to let him walk for free. It is absolutely imperative the club have a replacement ready to sign as soon as this deal is finalize otherwise Wilcox will have a lot of questions to answer. 

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

Unless we think Ballard can make the step up and play the role of the super sub Adams played against Sheff Wed and Norwich...

Ballard is a very skinny lad, yea he’s scoring goals against others his age but put him up against a 6”4” defender, he is winning nothing. 😂

He’d be best served going out on loan and bulking up. He is far from Che Adams is right now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Adams would be best served sticking around, he could easily score 25+ goals this season and have his choice of club to sign for next summer.

If he went to Everton, they’d be just as poor, he would be just as poor as previously Premier League seasons, with a high chance of being relegated at the end.

I agree with all of this, but I don't think there is a player alive who thinks like this when the Prem come knocking. Add the chance to play for one of the biggest and bestest clubs in England! I think it is pretty clear that he really wants to go, and is just playing with motivation right now to secure a move...