Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

4 hours ago, ecurnew02 said:

Very annoying to lose Adams with the season already started but with a year left on his contract I get not wanting to let him walk for free. It is absolutely imperative the club have a replacement ready to sign as soon as this deal is finalize otherwise Wilcox will have a lot of questions to answer. 

Agree very disappointing to lose Adams, a quality striker for this division and not easy to replace. Makes a mockery of it when you see the vast sums of money wasted on Carillo, Tall Paul etc that we end up paying off and never playing 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Replacing in form players currently performing well in this league is a risk even if the players who replace them are as good or better on paper. Absolutely no guarantees they will work out which is why it's a gamble. 

Absolutely no guarantees they won’t work out either just the way you want to perceive it. Still no proof of replacing with a lack of quality tho but hey you bang on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

If he's not going to sign a new deal we're not going to let him walk for free.  £15m is a lot of money.  It's only stupid if we don't reinvest.

It certainly is not if it's the difference between going up or staying down.

A classic case of penny wise and pound foolish.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Absolutely no guarantees they won’t work out either just the way you want to perceive it. Still no proof of replacing with a lack of quality tho but hey you bang on.

Why did I mention they would replace players with a lack of quality? You've made that up. 

4 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Seems to me one of those situations where the bean counters see the numbers on the spreadsheets and the football people see what goes on the pitch. As much as people might like to pretend otherwise sports teams will never be a success when they are run by spreadsheets 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

🤷‍♂️ Adams has had previous success in the Championship as well as additional PL experience. He has started this season really well with 3 in 3. Piroe has had 2 excellent seasons in the Championship but has not scored in the league this season (although as was pointed out above, he has scored 2 in the cup). Piroe's 2 good seasons have been in Martin's system, so you would think he could fit in well at Saints.

However, if we keep Che and then he has a fallow period then everyone on here will be saying we should have sold him and brought in Piroe. If we sell Che, buy Piroe and he doesn't deliver everyone on here will say we should have kept Che!

Who'd be a football manager, eh? 

Che's record is considerably better than 3 in 3 since, in our first two games, he came on as a second half sub.

8 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

yeah, really glad we did sell Adams this time last year. It made all the difference.

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So players unproven in the league we are in then. So no idea if better at all. 

I suspect any players Wilcox has been tracking most of this year he will have a very good idea whether they are suitable or not. It’s not a FIFA PC game “ oh he scores lots of goals sign him “ they will evaluate his mentality, fitness, his ability to adapt. 
not you particularly hypo but so many on here have such a simplistic view on how football works. It is about stats, psychology etc. I’m not saying I understand it all ( especially the stats 🤔) but theres quite a few who don’t get it .

Take Charly 20 years old lived with his parents. All the way from Argentina. He loves it here clearly relishes the challenge. Went back for Christmas and one of the first things he does is tweets about how it’s great to see his parents but can’t wait to get back and get us in the EPL. Often seen around town with a smile on his face. Martin said he is now the hardest working player and isn’t scared of ripping the shit off of the older players. He must have been vetted. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Might as well shut the forum down for two weeks if you're saying there's no room for speculation or comment on scenarios espoused by pundits and reported in the media. If we can't talk about the reported sale of Adams and Tella and express concern about how those sales are a gamble and the chances of players coming in having to be as good or better and having to gel quickly in order to fashion a promotion bid then there's no point in a messageboards existence. 

Wow!

Who said you can’t talk about anything? It’s a forum so discuss what you like. Just don’t be surprised if others have different opinions on where you’re basing your options from, and that they maybe disagree with it.  You seem to be having a hard time of it lately given your postings, and you seem to think that we’re at massive risk as a club because we might sell some players and not replace them properly? Fine. I’ve told you an opposite opinion and said, effectively, maybe just wait and see until you can fully and accurately pass judgement. But that’s me shouting down free speech, I suppose

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chez said:

no. I've ben saying it all summer. We well sell em all.

It's actually a no brainer to sell Adams rather than let him walk for free. The only question is, can we find a suitable replacement. 

How is it a no brainer? 

Adams is a proven championship goalscorer under contract with us in a position that's tough to fill, makes more sense to keep him 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, manji said:

Piroe has only been mentioned in the gossip columns and then only because of the Martin connection. We can afford to do better than him.

Who are we in for then? You seem to have a lot of inside info so come on name names. Pal.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I bet the Swansea fan forums are kicking off about how we've unsettled their player, turned his head, and claiming that's why he's not scored in the league yet. 

Wife about to have baby, a story about him the press most days...lots to think about.

Just now, JRM said:

How is it a no brainer? 

Adams is a proven championship goalscorer under contract with us in a position that's tough to fill, makes more sense to keep him 

I guess it's a no brainer if we look at it in a pure financial sense, but if I'm honest with you....I'm a football fan, I want to watch football and see the best players. I'm bored with the back slapping around how much money we make, look at us etc. Who cares! I just want a team I can support, and players on the pitch is more fun for me than knowing the club has money in the bank. It's really not for us to worry about tbh.

I just want the club to build us a team we can all connect to, like the Lambo years. We were a different breed back then, I'm sure Lallana, Morgan and co had offers to leave - but we didn't negotiate with any club and the rest was history. Sometimes you just need to shut the door and focus on football, not the money. (it's not like we're skint)

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

How is it a no brainer? 

It’s a no brainier not to sell him, watch him score 25+ goals this season and try and offer him a new deal as a premier league club than it is to sell his for 10% of what we’ve already got in the back pocket this summer 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

Adam’s is replaceable but the question is do we have the appetite to spend what is needed to adequately replace him. If the answer is yes the. It’s a no brainier to let him go.

We had the appetite to spend £19m on Tall Paul.

Appetite is not the problem, it's do we trust the club to be able to find a decent goal scorer replacement? From the last few seasons, the answer is no.

Will things improve under Wilcox? The jury is still out. In short, it would be a massive gamble to pocket £12-15m for Adams, and expect to find a decent (affordable) replacement, if we're serious about getting promoted this season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Wow!

Who said you can’t talk about anything? It’s a forum so discuss what you like. Just don’t be surprised if others have different opinions on where you’re basing your options from, and that they maybe disagree with it.  You seem to be having a hard time of it lately given your postings, and you seem to think that we’re at massive risk as a club because we might sell some players and not replace them properly? Fine. I’ve told you an opposite opinion and said, effectively, maybe just wait and see until you can fully and accurately pass judgement. But that’s me shouting down free speech, I suppose

Wow! 

You can have any opinion you want, simply talking about the risks involved in selling all our best players and trying to replace the all in the last week or two of the window as opposed to maybe keeping one or two, isn't "bedwetting" or some other type of unacceptable opinion. It's a perfectly legitimate view to hold. Of course I will pass comment when inevitably we bring replacements in which we clearly will but I'm perfectly entitled to view that as a risk and question why we wouldn't look to keep the likes of Adams and Tella. I'll be giving my opinion about the wisdom of selling at this point of the window and also passing comment about the replacements and our subsequent performances. Shockingly you can do both and you can also have an opinion that develops as things change. You should try it some time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, manji said:

I suspect any players Wilcox has been tracking most of this year he will have a very good idea whether they are suitable or not. It’s not a FIFA PC game “ oh he scores lots of goals sign him “ they will evaluate his mentality, fitness, his ability to adapt. 
not you particularly hypo but so many on here have such a simplistic view on how football works. It is about stats, psychology etc. I’m not saying I understand it all ( especially the stats 🤔) but theres quite a few who don’t get it .

Take Charly 20 years old lived with his parents. All the way from Argentina. He loves it here clearly relishes the challenge. Went back for Christmas and one of the first things he does is tweets about how it’s great to see his parents but can’t wait to get back and get us in the EPL. Often seen around town with a smile on his face. Martin said he is now the hardest working player and isn’t scared of ripping the shit off of the older players. He must have been vetted. 

Didn't recall us being relegated last Christmas. Maybe Charly has a cystal ball.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Who are we in for then? You seem to have a lot of inside info so come on name names. Pal.

No inside info just this crazy habit of listening to the interviews etc rather than making knee jerk bed wetting comments……..dearie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

We had the appetite to spend £19m on Tall Paul.

Appetite is not the problem, it's do we trust the club to be able to find a decent goal scorer replacement? From the last few seasons, the answer is no.

Will things improve under Wilcox? The jury is still out. In short, it would be a massive gamble to pocket £12-15m for Adams, and expect to find a decent (affordable) replacement, if we're serious about getting promoted this season.

Which is precisely my point. Apparently this amounts to "having a hard time" as opposed to typing some things on a message board whilst watching something on TV. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Wow! 

You can have any opinion you want, simply talking about the risks involved in selling all our best players and trying to replace the all in the last week or two of the window as opposed to maybe keeping one or two, isn't "bedwetting" or some other type of unacceptable opinion. It's a perfectly legitimate view to hold. Of course I will pass comment when inevitably we bring replacements in which we clearly will but I'm perfectly entitled to view that as a risk and question why we wouldn't look to keep the likes of Adams and Tella. I'll be giving my opinion about the wisdom of selling at this point of the window and also passing comment about the replacements and our subsequent performances. Shockingly you can do both and you can also have an opinion that develops as things change. You should try it some time. 

🤣 you might not have noticed but that’s exactly what I’ve been doing. My opinion is that, right now, your take on things is foolish.   As for the other things, I’ll comment on them when they look like happening.

Good night to you.

• Haha 1

Just now, The Kraken said:

🤣 you might not have noticed but that’s exactly what I’ve been doing. My opinion is that, right now, your take on things is foolish.   As for the other things, I’ll comment on them when they look like happening.

Good night to you.

So selling Adams at this point of the window and trying to replace his goals is not a risk? Because that's my opinion and it's not foolish in the slightest. The risk might pay off and anyone we bring in may be better buts it's undeniably a risk and not one imo that we should be taking since if the risk doesn't work out it would most likely cost us promotion. Bizarre that you'd consider an opinion like that to be foolish but crack on if it makes you feel better. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It’s a no brainier not to sell him, watch him score 25+ goals this season and try and offer him a new deal as a premier league club than it is to sell his for 10% of what we’ve already got in the back pocket this summer 

Surely next year when he's out of contract, if we're promoted and can offer him whatever (£60/70/80k) per week, then it's up to another club to offer him substantially more.....and I'm not so sure there is a club that will. The difference is we won't make the £15m if we sell him now which leads on to how much do we value promotion?

Just now, Chez said:

You can't let £15m players walk for free in this league. Financial suicide for championship clubs. Sell, reinvest and hopefully improve. 

It would be financial suicide if we hadn't just made the most money from sales that nay championship club has ever made by a far distance which probably means we aren't really playing by the same set of rules as a Swansea, Sheffield United or even Norwich. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

why would he accept a contract from us next summer when he wouldn't take one last? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

You can't let £15m players walk for free in this league. Financial suicide for championship clubs. Sell, reinvest and hopefully improve. 

You can if you’ve already brought in over £100m.  
Financial suicide would be staying outside the Premier League.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fair if you're a PNE or a Bristol City for example, but as others have said we have just made over £100m in player sales. If he walks for free next summer he walks for free, that's just a risk we can now afford to take given the money we've brought in.

• Like 3

Just now, hypochondriac said:

It would be financial suicide if we hadn't just made the most money from sales that nay championship club has ever made by a far distance which probably means we aren't really playing by the same set of rules as a Swansea, Sheffield United or even Norwich. 

not sure those clubs spent £130-160m the season before.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Latest from my relative in Liverpool who works at Goodison Park is that a £15m bid for Che Adams has been accepted.

Everton are desperate

A shame to see him go, but can’t blame him. £15m for a player with a year left on his contract is reasonable, let’s see who we get in.

• Like 1

Sure most posters wanted Che gone from the club during the summer. Couldnt wait to get him out. Now that is looking likely people want to criticise the club 🤷🏼‍♂️

Should be a simple question to Che "do you want to stay and fire us back to the PL?" If its a no then accept the 15m offer from Everton and move on

• Like 5

I cannot believe we've got people saying that we should turn down the money and let him walk for free next season. Football is a business for SR. Business owners don't throw £15m away, especially having seen a monumental amount of money wasted over the past windows. 

The opinion that we've made a lot of money from sales is a fallacy. In truth, we've recouped a lot of the money we've wasted on shite. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

why would he accept a contract from us next summer when he wouldn't take one last? 

Because he knew like everyone else we were going down? Reset, new squad, manager, momentum, he might have change of heart. If he doesn’t thank for scoring the goals to get us up, good luck with your new club 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If he walks for free next summer he walks for free, 

yeah, ok. I don't agree, but it matters not. Che is departing. He has been since he turned his nose up at our contract offer. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

I cannot believe we've got people saying that we should turn down the money and let him walk for free next season. Football is a business for SR. Business owners don't throw £15m away, especially having seen a monumental amount of money wasted over the past windows. 

The opinion that we've made a lot of money from sales is a fallacy. In truth, we've recouped a lot of the money we've wasted on shite. 

But we’d lose a lot more than 15m if we don’t get promoted this season. You can make a case his goals could make promotion more likely (if we can’t replace him with a 20 goal striker)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Because he knew like everyone else we were going down? Reset, new squad, manager, momentum, he might have change of heart. If he doesn’t thank for scoring the goals to get us up, good luck with your new club 

I think it more likely that he wanted more money than we wanted to pay him. He may also have wanted to move to a `bigger' club, like Everton. Neither changes.

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Equally, as a business decision, SR must factor in whether they think, if we keep Che, he scores enough goals to be crucial in getting us promoted at the first attempt. There is risk and reward whatever they decide so it's not as straight forward as just taking the 15million now. 

• Like 3

I am guessing Che got a pay cut as part of the relegation fallout but even then I expect he’s still earning more money than we really want to pay a player in the Championship. 

I expect we have been planning to sell him and replace him with a younger and cheaper player for most of the summer. My money would be on Duk from Aberdeen - but I don’t think they will sell him with Europa football this season 

Saints are first and foremost a business run by investors who want to make money on buying and selling players. 

Edited by Rebel

13 minutes ago, egg said:

If it's all about business, then why spend any money at all? Just get a load of frees in or league one players on lower wages. That would save us loads of cash, probably a fair bit more than 15 million. 

• Like 2

Just now, Baird of the land said:

But we’d lose a lot more than 15m if we don’t get promoted this season. You can make a case his goals could make promotion more likely (if we can’t replace him with a 20 goal striker)

We've got people whining that we're selling him, after calling for him to be sold only a few weeks ago. Couldn't make it up.

On your main point, there's no guarantee he'll get the goals to get us promoted. It's also unclear whether RM wants him - he's started him once in three games. 

Regardless, it's pretty obvious that SR would have taken the best bid for him. Hopefully we'll reinvest sensibly and quickly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

If it's all about business, then why spend any money at all? Just get a load of frees in or league one players on lower wages. That would save us loads of cash, probably a fair bit more than 15 million. 

That makes no sense on any level. 

We've wasted a fortune and recouped some of it. We're stuck with the wages on big Paul and other players we won't play, plus money due on our multiple failed signings. To ditch our deadwood, we'll doubtless have to put our hands in our pockets. 

As a fan I'd like to keep him. As a business person, I can see that any sensible business owner would take the money and reinvest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

We've got people whining that we're selling him, after calling for him to be sold only a few weeks ago. Couldn't make it up.

On your main point, there's no guarantee he'll get the goals to get us promoted. It's also unclear whether RM wants him - he's started him once in three games. 

Regardless, it's pretty obvious that SR would have taken the best bid for him. Hopefully we'll reinvest sensibly and quickly. 

I think people would have been much more up for getting rid weeks ago before there were less than two weeks to go until the end of the window with no time to get a new striker in and up to speed with Martin's style, after we've sold the majority of our talent and when many of the championship talents have been sold or been made otherwise unavailable. I can totally see how under the current circumstances, people would rather hang onto what we have. 

• Like 1