Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Not sure what your point is here. I'm just stating what i've seen. 

He's alright on the ball going forward, but defensively offers us little to no cover. He's slow and is always caught out of position, too high up the pitch. It could be the instructions given by the manager, but he looks way below the level of KWP, especially defensively. 

Full back is an important position for us and my point is that its not 'easily replaced'.

Amazing point, congratulations.

Out of interest; how much of Manning did you see last season or is your Bro-in-law / mate/ cousin / sex therapist a Swans season ticket holder?

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Is it impossible for us to bring in a RB and keep KWP? the championship is a long season, many Saturday / Tuesday game weeks, its a big ask to expect a full back, who probably do the most running in the side, to play every game. Bree obviously isn't the answer or up to the task, so we're a touch short at RB.

Had we been a little more proactive, we might have signed our first choice in Max Aarons. 

Funny enough, the same could be said about the obvious Adams replacement... 

Id like to see us bring another RB in but none of Aarons or Spence are going to come here with KWP still in the building tbh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

https://twitter.com/cpfctransfershq/status/1696491956254175700?s=46&t=MqpubAzkQD51r3m_v775zw

Annoyingly still can’t get these to embed on Iphone sorry

But looks like Palace pushing and close to completing Iheanacho, so hopefully Che’s options are reducing

Got to hope whoever misses out on Iheanacho doesn’t pivot to Che.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Would he go to Wolves ?

Seems to me he'd go to any Prem club that offered him a decent contract. Looks like he'll wait it out then, if no offers come in, he'll sign his contract extension with us. This scenario obviously leaves us vulnerable to being left scratching around late in the window if he goes unless we give him and his agent a set deadline.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

The only position I think we could be stronger is CM. 

As things stand, their front 3 is miles stronger than ours and probably Leicester. If they keep that side, they'll be in the top 2 without a doubt. 

Yeah I agree. I think we quite comfortably have the best midfield in the league.

Their attack is pretty intimidating though like you say, and I am becoming increasingly certain we're going to loan Sulemana to Everton for no reason whilst they hold on to Gntonto/Sinisterra/Rutter.

12 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Id like to see us bring another RB in but none of Aarons or Spence are going to come here with KWP still in the building tbh

On the balance of probability he wont be come the end of the week. We'd know that, incoming players would also know that. 

Even if he was, he could easily play LB with <new> playing RB. 

16 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Amazing point, congratulations.

Out of interest; how much of Manning did you see last season or is your Bro-in-law / mate/ cousin / sex therapist a Swans season ticket holder?

What point are you trying to make here? Still not sure other than just random ramblings. 

What relevance does how much I saw of Manning last season, or how many goals Swansea conceded have to do with anything. 

I've already said 'from what i've seen' i.e 4 games and pre-season this season. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

On the balance of probability he wont be come the end of the week. We'd know that, incoming players would also know that. 

Even if he was, he could easily play LB with <new> playing RB. 

Nobody else is joining us to play LB, and no decent RB is gonna come while we have KWP. 

We only need to consider a full back if KWP leaves. I'm not as pessimistic as you that he's on his way. I think it was one of him or Tino to leave. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Nobody else is joining us to play LB, and no decent RB is gonna come while we have KWP. 

We only need to consider a full back if KWP leaves. I'm not as pessimistic as you that he's on his way. I think it was one of him or Tino to leave. 

I meant KWP could shift across to left back, should he not leave. I think we need an additional RB even if we keep KWP. As I said, its a long season. 

I'm actually not sold on Spence, to be honest - I think we missed out on Aarons by not moving quicker - the above about KWP playing LB is an example of how you could accommodate both. 

Just now, Dman said:

I meant KWP could shift across to left back, should he not leave. I think we need an additional RB even if we keep KWP. As I said, its a long season. 

I'm actually not sold on Spence, to be honest - I think we missed out on Aarons by not moving quicker - the above about KWP playing LB is an example of how you could accommodate both. 

Isnt Holgate the backup rb? 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Isnt Holgate the backup rb? 

I wouldn't be against it. I think it'd make a lot of sense and would give us a lot more cover defensively for Mannings weakness. 

However, based on his interview when joining the club, it sounds like he's here to play CB.

1 hour ago, PapaWaiToGO said:

No but there's there's a reason he was on loan there in the first place

yes, Colin Wanker played a flat back four and thought Dijksteel was a better player. Spence then went on to have a brilliant season, helping Forest to promotion whilst Boro floundered, making Colin Wanker, who got the tintack half way through the season, look slightly daft. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I get that, but Manning is our first choice LB and won't be replaced by anyone - he's doing a good job, and will do better still when he gets some protection ahead of him. 

Personally, I'm not sold on Bree in an RM team as he's not a good enough footballer so I'd like an alternative RB, but I don't see anyone decent coming unless KWP goes. 

Feck knows what'll happen this week, but plenty will I'm sure of that. 

Spence can go one way or the other. He's known to have a bit of an attitude, receiving criticism from both Warnock and Conte. But, he also starred for Nottingham Forest in this league, so if you can get his head right he's a very good player, but not without risk, hence why he's moving back down here. Forest themselves signed a different right-back on loan recently in Montiel.

4 hours ago, egg said:

I reckon Zeqiri is our man. 

Can he play right down the middle as the solitary striker or is he more of a forward coming in off the wing? If Che goes, do we not need a number 9 type of guy that has the physical attributes to hold the ball up and link the play? Or maybe we don't need that type and just go for good quality players and make that work?

5 minutes ago, egg said:

I get that, but Manning is our first choice LB and won't be replaced by anyone - he's doing a good job, and will do better still when he gets some protection ahead of him. 

Personally, I'm not sold on Bree in an RM team as he's not a good enough footballer so I'd like an alternative RB, but I don't see anyone decent coming unless KWP goes. 

Feck knows what'll happen this week, but plenty will I'm sure of that. 

I fear you're right. He's a Martin man, much like Bree was a Jones man. We'll have to agree to disagree on his performances, I'm not yet sold and I think hes a weak link at the back for us. Perhaps Fraser will offer more protection in front, time will tell. 

Agree on Bree, not suited to this style unfortunately. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

I fear you're right. He's a Martin man, much like Bree was a Jones man. We'll have to agree to disagree on his performances, I'm not yet sold and I think hes a weak link at the back for us. Perhaps Fraser will offer more protection in front, time will tell. 

Agree on Bree, not suited to this style unfortunately. 

Championship team of the week from sofascore

Screenshot_20230829-140436.thumb.png.2257fdcbd3ca68ebf720dea75ac0f4e5.png

• Like 3

Both Saarbrucken and the players agent confirm that Luca Kerber aint moving to Saints, is staying put and will see out his contract, which expires in 2024.

I'm slightly disappointed as he looked really good to me, but it's obviously difficult to tell if he could make the step up in leagues. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CSA96 said:
Everton get their striker

I can't get my head around the fact the deal with Che stalled over their inability to pay £5m up front, yet they could afford a striker twice the price (is it £30m or £20m though?). Even if the payments were spread over the full length of the contract they would still be more than £5m up front, wouldn't they?

I was a big Beto fan when we were discussing striker in January window. Not a big scorer of goals, but he will be a lot more robust than DCL. He's a proper unit.

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

I can't get my head around the fact the deal with Che stalled over their inability to pay £5m up front, yet they could afford a striker twice the price (is it £30m or £20m though?).

As they had all their budget tied up for this chap.

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

I can't get my head around the fact the deal with Che stalled over their inability to pay £5m up front, yet they could afford a striker twice the price (is it £30m or £20m though?). Even if the payments were spread over the full length of the contract they would still be more than £5m up front, wouldn't they?

I was a big Beto fan when we were discussing striker in January window. Not a big scorer of goals, but he will be a lot more robust than DCL. He's a proper unit.

Sounds like no fee at all this year for Beto, so presume that was a big factor - can’t imagine we’d entertain anything like that considering we seemingly don’t want Che to go. 

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

I think I read somewhere that they’ve agreed to take nothing upfront, and they pay a lump sum next year ?

That said I like the look of Beto, better option than Che overall imo

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Seems to me he'd go to any Prem club that offered him a decent contract. Looks like he'll wait it out then, if no offers come in, he'll sign his contract extension with us. This scenario obviously leaves us vulnerable to being left scratching around late in the window if he goes unless we give him and his agent a set deadline.

Or he sees his contract out with us then leaves for nothing next summer. 

2 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Or he sees his contract out with us then leaves for nothing next summer. 

Depends whether he backs himself as good enough to attract offers next season and if, as a free agent, those offers will be better. Does he turn down extra money for the next 12 months and assume he'll more than make up for that at the start of next season? It's a tricky one for us and Che.