Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

43 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Looking back at our last championship squad you had Lambert who played the vast majority of games, but you also had backup with Billy Sharp, Tadanari Lee and David Connolly. If we somehow manage to keep Adams then we will be hoping he will play the Lambert role (play the majority of games and score a load of goals) but I am not sure we have the depth beyond that. Arguably Armstrong can get similar figures to someone like Lallana but it would be great if Mara coukd hit some sort of form, otherwise it may be tough without another reliable goalscorer. 

This is my issue. Whether Che goes or stays we need 2 good options for his role. For me if he stays we need to sign one striker and, if he goes, we need to sign two. I don't think we currently have anyone at the club good enough to play what I would call the strikers role apart from Che. The QPR game highlighted this - we tried AA up top and it was hopeless but improved marginally when we brought Mara on and dropped AA back. Unfortunately Mara is not yet good enough so, if Adams stays we still need a decent back up striker to cover when he is unavailable. 

• Like 1

Out of interest what is the average Championship wage?  £10K a week? Or is much lower than that.

I thought I read Flynn Downes is on £25K a week.  And that Everton were paying a large % of Holgates wages (£70K a week) which I took to mean we would be paying about £35K a week for him as well.

I would have thought it was a similar deal with Ryan Fraser.

Just now, Rebel said:

Out of interest what is the average Championship wage?  £10K a week? Or is much lower than that.

I thought I read Flynn Downes is on £25K a week.  And that Everton were paying a large % of Holgates wages (£70K a week) which I took to mean we would be paying about £35K a week for him as well.

I suppose the advantage of a loan is that if we don't go up we don't have a load of people on high wages weighing down our wage bill. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I have been out all day....any actual transfer "news?"

there are a couple of amazing places you can go if you just want news

Home | Southampton FC Official Site

Southampton FC News | Latest Saints Transfer News - NewsNow

however if you want ITKs, gossip, chatter and world class banter then here is your place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I actually thought Mara had a good game on Saturday and made a big difference when he came on.  He led the line OK and occupied the QPR centre backs allowing Adarma to drop deep and creating the space for him to run in to.  

He gave us a bit of pace and presence upfront.

His quick thinking free kick also put Fraser through on goal.

If we sell Adams - and I think we will - I would still want him replaced though. 

I'd be happy with Bojan Mioviski from Aberdeen to replace Adams and Andi Zeqiri from Brighton to replace Tella. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, saintant said:

This is my issue. Whether Che goes or stays we need 2 good options for his role. For me if he stays we need to sign one striker and, if he goes, we need to sign two. I don't think we currently have anyone at the club good enough to play what I would call the strikers role apart from Che. The QPR game highlighted this - we tried AA up top and it was hopeless but improved marginally when we brought Mara on and dropped AA back. Unfortunately Mara is not yet good enough so, if Adams stays we still need a decent back up striker to cover when he is unavailable. 

Should we expect the reserve central forward to be better than AA/Mara in the championship? Isn't the reserve striker always worse than the first choice?

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Should we expect the reserve central forward to be better than AA/Mara in the championship? Isn't the reserve striker always worse than the first choice?

Is Mara capable of 9 goals in 11 starts (15 total) like Billy Sharp? I doubt it personally. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Seen Fraser reportedly on 63k a week, guess we are paying half that 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I would suggest AA is not a replacement for Che as proved against QPR and Mara is not yet good enough. If we rely of one striker in the role that Che plays that's a huge risk if said striker picks up an injury/suspension or loses form.

31 minutes ago, Rebel said:

already been answered by the esteemed gentleman further up

Edited by Convict Colony

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Seen Fraser reportedly on 63k a week, guess we are paying half that 

£63k a week sounds in the realms of possibilities.

It's just a guess by Everton fans that we are paying half of Holgates wages and then the same percentage (50%) is now being used for Fraser.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, saintant said:

I would suggest AA is not a replacement for Che as proved against QPR and Mara is not yet good enough. If we rely of one striker in the role that Che plays that's a huge risk if said striker picks up an injury/suspension or loses form.

if your best player in a position gets injured, you are obviously going to downgrade. But can you have someone like say Piroe on the bench waiting for Che to get injured? I guess he could be coming on and pushing Che for a starting place or even play as a two at times.

You could well be right though about our strength in depth though. AA is not convincing down the middle and Mara needs to step up. I just wonder if crosses from Fraser will suit his game. The goal against City came from a good low cross. Could those two work well maybe?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

He's a good solid left back. But £60m. Fuck off. Mental price.

I've seen nothing since he's been at chelsea that says he's 60m.  Sometimes the teams system makes players better than they actually are.

Also his hair is so fucking annoying and i have hair myself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

For about the 9000th time… its not breathtaking, its a usual occurrence to relegated sides

And we’re in exactly the same position as Leicester and Leeds and previously Burnley etc

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Just fudge it and say most of Southampton is the New Forest.

Tbh, these players are earning ridiculous amounts of money, they're young and loaded, they're not looking for tranquil surroundings like the New Forest. They want big busy cities and a buzzing nightlife, somewhere to spend their...cough...hard-earned. Striking distance of London, Manchester at a push, is what attracts the best players.

We should be selling Southampton as 'near' London, if they fancy living in Winchester, 50 miles up the M3 is nothing in an Aston Martin!

2 minutes ago, Appy said:

Saints interested in Matt O’Riley from Celtic, it may shock you to hear that Leeds are too . 

If he is to leave Celtic, it will be for the PL - he a quality player, similar to that of Smallbone/Downes as well. I'd have thought any additional CM we get is more of a physical presence.

10 minutes ago, Appy said:

Saints interested in Matt O’Riley from Celtic, it may shock you to hear that Leeds are too . 

Very interesting link... although I would be very surprised if he'd join a championship club. 

17 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Tbh, these players are earning ridiculous amounts of money, they're young and loaded, they're not looking for tranquil surroundings like the New Forest. They want big busy cities and a buzzing nightlife, somewhere to spend their...cough...hard-earned. Striking distance of London, Manchester at a push, is what attracts the best players.

We should be selling Southampton as 'near' London, if they fancy living in Winchester, 50 miles up the M3 is nothing in an Aston Martin!

well in theory London is right on that line up to Birmingham and through Liverpool where were once the only premier league below it, so in theory its still part of our catchment area.