The Death of the Tory Party and the Rebirth of the UK As We Know It (General Election 2024 Thread)

sadoldgit

52 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

He's a cretin of the highest order. 

At least with Boris he was overtly dishonest and everyone knew it. Rishi is a sneaky cunt. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1

We have two multi billion pound aircraft carriers (only enough planes to half fill one though), but can't get either of them out on the ocean waves!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-68268560

A Royal Navy aircraft carrier has failed to set sail for a Nato exercise, a week after its sister ship pulled out because of a mechanical fault.

HMS Prince of Wales was due to replace HMS Queen Elizabeth in Exercise Steadfast Defender - the largest Nato exercise since the Cold War.

53 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We have two multi billion pound aircraft carriers (only enough planes to half fill one though), but can't get either of them out on the ocean waves!

Don't forget the Type 45s that can't sail in warm water.

To quote Gene Krantz in Apollo 13 "Somebody tell me this is not a Government operation".

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

If the exercises are essentially pretend, why can't they just pretend from the docks? This lack of flexible, tactical thinking shows a sad lack of imagination from Nato. Well done to our Navy for so clearly illustrating this. 🙂

• Haha 1

Grant Shapps obviously reckons that the military 's resources are not being wasted on ships that can't put to sea or armoured vehicles that are more dangerous to their crews than to the enemy, the biggest issue affecting the MOD budget and our forces' effectiveness is "leftist wokeism'.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Grant Shapps obviously reckons that the military 's resources are not being wasted on ships that can't put to sea or armoured vehicles that are more dangerous to their crews than to the enemy, the biggest issue affecting the MOD budget and our forces' effectiveness is "leftist wokeism'.

I know the main Tory strategy at this point is to scare the population in to thinking we're all going to be destroyed by the great woke tide, and they are the last defence against it.  But they're getting so ridiculous about it now, I wonder if a lot of even their 'new Tory' supporters might think "hmmm, this is starting to feel a bit like nonsense".

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I know the main Tory strategy at this point is to scare the population in to thinking we're all going to be destroyed by the great woke tide, and they are the last defence against it.  But they're getting so ridiculous about it now, I wonder if a lot of even their 'new Tory' supporters might think "hmmm, this is starting to feel a bit like nonsense".

The people that voted Liz Truss in as leader ?

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

They are massively over estimating how concerned the average Brit feels and definitely won’t be a matter that brings the swing voter in against backdrop of 14 years of wrecking public services and us not even seeing taxes drop as a result. No record to defend whatsoever but hey their great leader knows what a woman is

• Like 3

They gave up on proper policy and governing years ago, it's just scripted nonsense now -

Labour have no plan, Labour will bankrupt us, woke tofu-eating leftie lawyers, Starmer is on the side of criminals, Labour left us no money, the doctor's strikes have created waiting lists, Putin caused all our problems, Starmer defended rapists, we only borrowed through Covid, the Islington elite, we're getting on with delivering more in the pocket for hard working families, more nurses, great trade deals turbocharging global Britain, new hospitals, more police, record funding for everything etc.

Little truth and not a shred of actual policy to be seen.

It's pathetic drivel aimed at the thickest in society.  

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

They gave up on proper policy and governing years ago, it's just scripted nonsense now -

Labour have no plan, Labour will bankrupt us, woke tofu-eating leftie lawyers, Starmer is on the side of criminals, Labour left us no money, the doctor's strikes have created waiting lists, Putin caused all our problems, Starmer defended rapists, we only borrowed through Covid, the Islington elite, we're getting on with delivering more in the pocket for hard working families, more nurses, great trade deals turbocharging global Britain, new hospitals, more police, record funding for everything etc.

Little truth and not a shred of actual policy to be seen.

It's pathetic drivel aimed at the thickest in society.  

We already know that 52% of the population falls under that category, more than enough to engineer another 4 yrs.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

GM is usually first out of the blocks with the financial news, maybe the report that the UK economy is in recession hasn't made the front page of the Telegraph.

But but but where is Labour’s plan?

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

GM is usually first out of the blocks with the financial news, maybe the report that the UK economy is in recession hasn't made the front page of the Telegraph.

Who gives a toss about that? Sorting out chicks with dicks and those bastards at the National Trust is meeting "the will of the people". 

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Does everyone know about the radio station and award winning catering? If so, this is in the bag for Rupes.

Rupes should look at standing as MP for Elmet and Rothwell as the constituency includes Garforth where, I am sure, the voters will fully appreciate his ownership of the local football club along with Simon Clifford.

Another great night for Tories. Messaging really cutting through. Daily Mail demanding tax cuts on their front page I see but think most think the country is broken and it isn’t about them making the wealthy more wealthy.  Just persist with your splendid comms team telling you to stoke teh culture wars - all evidence shows it is working a dream for voting intentions.

• Like 2

Spot on Whelk, they are following the Lynton Crosby and Steve Bannon scripts because they haven’t got anything else. Great article in the FT recently about why hardly anybody u45 votes for the Tories and the u55s who are normally Tories by now are staying away - it’s down to social mobility and faith (lack of) that they’ll have a better quality of life than their parents and grandparents. Whereas in other western countries where more people vote for centre right and far right parties there is less suppression of opportunities. Brexit has been a key watershed in this, another example of the Tories just focusing on the over-60s, as has austerity and the huge scale corruption of the PPE VIP lane of our money.

The level of lying has been astonishing and people can see Truss’s trade deals already coming apart (even the farmers now) let alone the month-long PM spell which made Clough at Leeds look a roaring success. Add in the constant factions and civil wars and they really could go the way of the Liberals post WW1. Their forte used to be that economically they were more sound than the other parties but they’ve blown that totally in the last 13 years with public debt as a proportion of GDP what it was in 2010 under Labour. And that was much lower for most of the 2000s with the post-crash stimulus distorting it. So they can’t even say they inherited a bad situation and made it better - they made it far worse, soaring debt, taxes and crumbling infrastructure (look at the roads!).

They have some deep problems that won’t resolve in months or even years. It’s obvious they’ll follow the Labour left down the Corbyn rabbit hole and elect another loony after the GE rather than a solid Tugendhat type who might save them as a mainstream centre right party.

As for the Mail, people know Ted Verity is basically Tory Party property after Cummings let the cat out of the bag about the anti-WFH campaign by Mogg and Grant Schapps/Michael Green/whatever scammer he is this week. Ironic that they only survive because of civil servants they despise picking up a copy of their free papers which have the bigger advert revenue eg Metro. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2

The Member for the 19th Century's assessment of the by-election results; things are fine because Labour didn't poll 50% of the votes. Not sure he understands FPTP, or democracy in general.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

On 16/02/2024 at 19:02, Weston Super Saint said:

I heard a quote on the radio today that Sunak claims everything is fine and going to plan!  I guess he's bored of being PM now!

That is their election strategy; to imply that he has a plan for the future and that it's working and if we stick with him and the tories, we will benefit from the pay off. That's why they mention it a lot and go on about Labours supposed lack of plan.

They talk about the plan in a vague way because they don't want things that they can be measured by.

When he first became PM the strategy was to show that he was a serious performer, as opposed to Johnson and Truss. And to show that he could get thinks done they set his five pledges, they created something that they thought was achievable. Unfortunately  for them they have been more difficult to turn around than they thought, so expect more vague gaslighting of how brilliant things are going and how devoid of ideas the Labour Party is.

Please ignore any bad spelling or grammar, I'm a bit thick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Could you start with not engaging with the minister for the 1950's social media accounts?

I saw a screenshot of it elsewhere online, and had to visit for myself to check it was genuine.

I'm a bit worried though. I had some whole milk recently, and now I'm concerned I might find myself watching GB news and agreeing with some of the comments on Mail Online. 

18 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

When Moggy starts talking about his childhood I picture his nanny walking him in his pristine sailor suit whilst he spins his wooden hoop.

victorian-cdv-image-little-boy-sailor_36

Do you think that he had a wet-nurse?

Probably still has one. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And now Thick Lizzie has gone full Trump...

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/liz-truss-blames-deep-state-fox-news-2917840

Liz Truss blames ‘deep state’ for failed premiership in Fox News article

In an article for the right-wing US news outlet, the former PM accused radical leftist institutions for sabotaging her premiership

Next step - custom gold trainers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And now Thick Lizzie has gone full Trump...

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/liz-truss-blames-deep-state-fox-news-2917840

Liz Truss blames ‘deep state’ for failed premiership in Fox News article

In an article for the right-wing US news outlet, the former PM accused radical leftist institutions for sabotaging her premiership

I get frustrated that the useless fucker gets any airtime or coverage. She is shameless

• Like 2

When the Conservatives get booted out, and are about to turn on each other (well, turn on each other even more), perhaps someone will call a halt, and wheel out a swivel-eyed Truss.

As they listen to her deranged plans to activate her orbital , Trump branded, laser to eradicate The Left, and install her own New World PopCons, maybe they will pull back from the brink.

But they won't, and will spend extra years in the wilderness, unable to jettison their ideological extremes, consumed in their own power struggles, oblivious to the people they're supposed to serve.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mixedkebab said:

Some serious shit going on today, democracy and free will in parliament has been overruled due to threats of violence. Pretty disturbing stuff no matter which party you like or dislike.

I think there were also mind games being played; the SNP motion directly blamed Israel for civilian deaths as "collective punishment"', knowing that Labour would not vote for that and could not vote for the Government amendment which merely asked for a "'pause". When the Tories walked out it also meant that the SNP motion could not be voted on at all.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mixedkebab said:

Some serious shit going on today, democracy and free will in parliament has been overruled due to threats of violence. Pretty disturbing stuff no matter which party you like or dislike.

It's an absolute disgrace. Extremists now know that violence and intimidation works and can change things which means there will be more of it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I think there were also mind games being played

Cheap politics from all except the SNP who should rightly be aggrieved. Whilst the speaker made a mistake (imo) the justification of the paper being filled solely with Speaker resignation talk is impossible and ridiculous. The reality Tv show that is British parliament is less fixated upon the issues at hand and more upon she said he said. The issue should be Gaza not the speaker. 

26 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Cheap politics from all except the SNP who should rightly be aggrieved. Whilst the speaker made a mistake (imo) the justification of the paper being filled solely with Speaker resignation talk is impossible and ridiculous. The reality Tv show that is British parliament is less fixated upon the issues at hand and more upon she said he said. The issue should be Gaza not the speaker. 

I think the issue is now that threats of violence and intimidation gets results. Instead of upholding democracy, they've capitulated to a mob. The implications of that are incredibly scary. 

7 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

While generally incompetent, the SNP made sure with their phrasing, that Labour would face internal turmoil. With them losing ground to Labour at home, this was a way of attacking them while claiming moral high ground. That was the avenue they went down, regardless of their genuine concern on Gaza.

Labour seem to have put pressure on the speaker with a two pronged threat of ousting him (last night, that came from a labour source to the BBC) along with getting him to justify it by saying it was to bring in a wider view, with concerns over safety. Which, backfired as doing that completely undermines all of them.

The SNP, while rightly miffed about having their day usurped, could still have voted with Labour, which did contain immediate and ceasefire in there. They chose not to do that. Right to be incensed at the change in protocol. But taking their eye off what they were there to actually do, regarding Gaza.

SNP, one of whom had to have ceasefire explained to them, had their day spoiled. Both SNP and Conservatives didn't get to see Labour squirm. Labour minutes away from a bit of a disaster, said one source. But now seen to be bullying and threatening the speaker. Parliament seen as a joke.

Meanwhile, out in the real world, wars continue and decisions are made on the future of the region.