The Death of the Tory Party and the Rebirth of the UK As We Know It (General Election 2024 Thread)

sadoldgit

27 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Meanwhile, out in the real world, wars continue and decisions are made on the future of the region.

To be fair, whilst I feel the talking shop of parliament is embarrassing, the Gaza vote is highly irrelevant either way. 

UK stance on the issue means nothing other than our arms sales - sales which if reduced will simply be resupplied by the US through Israel lobby backing. Therefore, this vote is more a sentiment “we were on the right side of history vote” and the people protesting calling for a ceasefire vote are deluded to think it is anything different. The decision is not even down to Israel, the US call the shots. This is why I don’t call it a genocide: genocide being the killing of a large number of people with the goal of destroying a state. Firstly <0.6% of Palestine’s population has perished, too many as in every war but not a “genocide” in act and secondly as long as the US believed and supports a two state solution, this will remain. In short, only the US opinion matters and the UK demanding a ceasefire is like a fugley man asking out a celebrity supermodel. 

38 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think the issue is now that threats of violence and intimidation gets results. Instead of upholding democracy, they've capitulated to a mob. The implications of that are incredibly scary. 

Mob rules! Sad state but it’s all around us. I found it a bit fishy that Labour changed their position on the issue so soon after Reeves was harassed. Tory party no different in abuse, but haven’t really moved positions. I was originally intrigued by the idea of a personal MP bodyguard, however with houses targeted as well it may go beyond this. T*rrorist scale is high and MPs are certainly on high alert right now. 

So, now that islamists are in charge(source; braverman), what changes do we expect to see?

Im guessing, similar to when the taliban took control in Afghanistan, that one of the first things will be the restriction of education for girls and women. Do we know if there is a bill coming yet on that?  How quickly can we expect it, because my daughter is still going to school at the moment and I want to know if I should take her out now?

Also, now that the islamists are in charge, shouldn't we be changing the prime minister? And what is the impact of this on the monarchy? (Or on parliamentary procedure?)

Also, why is this not bigger news? Usually when a new group takes charge of the government  it is front page news, I can't even find it on the BBC homepage. Is this the start of mass censorship?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Reading some of the comments towards the end of this I am not sure whether to post this here or in the "What's wrong with America thread. " 

Is this woman completely mad??? 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/22/liz-truss-cpac-republican?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

She's an absolute weirdo who managed to mask it for a few years. Now shes been revealed for what she is, she has no where else to go other than the fringe and courting the fringe nutters with mad nonsense.

• Like 1

I have been listening to her speech at CPAC this morning. For those who don’t think that the far right pose a threat to democracy, just listen to the words of a former Prime Minister of the UK and other speakers at this conference. Yes, I know that she is batshit crazy, but then so is Trump and millions of people suck up his every word.

We also have Nigel Farage, well know racist, liar, manipulator, self promoter, far right agitator, telling us that Putin is the politician he most admires. This is the same Nigel Farage who many political commentators think has a shot at becoming a future leader of the Tory Party.

No doubt a laughing emoji will soon appear below this post from the resident Farage fanboy, but you only need to know that he says that the most right wing government we have had in a very long time are a bunch of “pinkos” to get his number.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Reading some of the comments towards the end of this I am not sure whether to post this here or in the "What's wrong with America thread. " 

Is this woman completely mad??? 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/22/liz-truss-cpac-republican?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

This was discussed on the radio yesterday. Somebody commenting on Truss's whinging over her failed economic strategy suggested that the Bank of England might complain about being referred to as a QUANGO, and the international money markets are not known for having been infiltrated by the leftie wokerati.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

They were all playing politics with this vote. No one is less at fault than the others.

If either the SNP or the current Tory government had any moral backbone they would have lodged a complaint but carried on with the vote. By walking out both parties put their own political interests ahead of the beleaguered population of Gaza. For those expressing faux outrage, this decision by the Speaker did not set a precedent, it has happened twice before so he was clearly within his rights to accept a further opposition amendment. The main story here is that our parliament has finally called for a ceasefire but it won’t stop those who are happy to see the mass killing of civilians continue trying to make it all about an archaic rule. And yes, neither Netanyahu nor Hamas give a damn what happens in Westminster, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t  bring pressure to bear to try and stop the killing and mass destruction.

Meanwhile Braverman continues to stoke up the hate war. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24139728.yousaf-slams-braverman-worst-politicians/

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

If either the SNP or the current Tory government had any moral backbone they would have lodged a complaint but carried on with the vote. By walking out both parties put their own political interests ahead of the beleaguered population of Gaza. For those expressing faux outrage, this decision by the Speaker did not set a precedent, it has happened twice before so he was clearly within his rights to accept a further opposition amendment. The main story here is that our parliament has finally called for a ceasefire but it won’t stop those who are happy to see the mass killing of civilians continue trying to make it all about an archaic rule. And yes, neither Netanyahu nor Hamas give a damn what happens in Westminster, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t  bring pressure to bear to try and stop the killing and mass destruction.

But the vote is meaningless, it won't change the governments approach. 

All parties put their interests first - the SNP worded their amendment to expose the divisions in Labour, their biggest rival in Scotland.

Labour lent on the speaker to get their softer worded ammendment in to cover the cracks in their party. And the tories felt they were being played resorted to acting bipartisan and walking out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001w7q9?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

A good listen.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

By walking out both parties put their own political interests ahead of the beleaguered population of Gaza.

Bastards, a ceasefire had just been agreed until both sides realised what the SNP & Tories had done. Fucking disgrace. The Israelis have also doubled down on their attacks since a tweet from Mhairi Black  😂😂

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

9 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

All parties put their interests first - the SNP worded their amendment to expose the divisions in Labour, their biggest rival in Scotland.

Labour lent on the speaker to get their softer worded ammendment in to cover the cracks in their party. And the tories felt they were being played resorted to acting bipartisan and walking out.

Spot on. 

For anyone to claim the moral high ground over this, is laughable. Labour have routinely used opposition days to embarrass the Tories and use these meaningless votes to score political points on the doorstep. The Tories will do exactly the same thing when they’re in opposition. I don’t even blame Labour for pressuring Hoyle, every party would do the same. Hoyle is the only one to blame for this, doubly so because he was specifically warned that this would be the outcome. Whilst he could survive 50/60 Tories turning on him, unless he can regain the confidence of the SNP, he’ll be gone before the election imo. The sweaty bastards can find a grievance from anywhere, and this one is more legitimate than most. It’s quite easy to twist this into a unionist speaker, unionist opposition & unionist Government denying Scottish representatives a vote on a day put aside for them. For the third major party to have no confidence in a speaker is dangerous for his long term job prospects, but it’s doubly so when that party is so highly representative of one particular country of The UK. He’ll do well to get out of the this one. 

41 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001w7q9?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

A good listen.

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Spot on. 

For anyone to claim the moral high ground over this, is laughable. Labour have routinely used opposition days to embarrass the Tories and use these meaningless votes to score political points on the doorstep. The Tories will do exactly the same thing when they’re in opposition. I don’t even blame Labour for pressuring Hoyle, every party would do the same. Hoyle is the only one to blame for this, doubly so because he was specifically warned that this would be the outcome. Whilst he could survive 50/60 Tories turning on him, unless he can regain the confidence of the SNP, he’ll be gone before the election imo. The sweaty bastards can find a grievance from anywhere, and this one is more legitimate than most. It’s quite easy to twist this into a unionist speaker, unionist opposition & unionist Government denying Scottish representatives a vote on a day put aside for them. For the third major party to have no confidence in a speaker is dangerous for his long term job prospects, but it’s doubly so when that party is so highly representative of one particular country of The UK. He’ll do well to get out of the this one. 

Yep... it doesn't surprise me how few people seem to know what 'opposition days' are all about in the HoC. As you say, it's simply an opportunity for opposition parties to cause as much mayhem and division as possible.... ergo the SNP mission was well and truly accomplished. The journo on 'Politics Live' came up with a good analogy as to how opposition days often play out.... The opposition proposes the motion that cats are wonderful creatures.... the government, as is tradition, votes against the motion.... the opposition then post on Twitter etc "the government hate cats".... the rest of social media piles onto the "cat haters"...

Anyway, congratulations to the SNP for achieving what they set out to achieve. They played a blinder.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

Liz Truss is a complete lunatic.

She's going on US shows telling them Rochdale is about to be taken over by Islamic Jihadists and that British people need to rise up and overturn the UK court system - just so she can sell a few of her books.

She needs locking up.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Liz Truss is a complete lunatic.

She's going on US shows telling them Rochdale is about to be taken over by Islamic Jihadists and that British people need to rise up and overturn the UK court system - just so she can sell a few of her books.

She needs locking up.

As well as the crazy conspiracy theories about she lost office in the time it takes a lettuce to go off, she also stayed silent on a panel when Steve Bannon called Tommy Robinson a hero https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68388579

Soggy is going to have fun with that one 😂

Here’s the highlights of loony Yankee Liz’s nutty speech https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68376802 or if you can stand it, the full thing and the largely empty arena. 

How about a bazooka with a one way ticket to the USA of A with enough room for Rees Mogg on it as well. Us Brits might get some peace that way. I’d love to see her fuck off there if she thinks it’s so great, leach off their think tanks which is clearly her intention after the GE.

Meanwhile, the Daily Mail reader in Mansfield JDW has been at it again. He can smell the dodgy non-Dom TV cash. This MP business is too much like hard work.

Cant remember them imploding this badly in 1997?

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

Yep, I can always get plenty of mileage out of dear old Tommy and his enablers!

Also those who jump on anybody who criticises Israel or Jewish people but don’t bat an eyelid at blatant Islamophobia. Another example of a morally bankrupt far right Tory trying to stoke up the culture wars.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lee-anderson-sadiq-khan-racism-rant-b2501640.html

Going back to the debacle in the Commons the other day, whilst I agree that all parties were involved in playing political games, I don’t agree that the vote didn’t matter. It did.

It took years of internal and international pressure to change things in South Africa. Gaza doesn’t have years but at least more and more pressure is being brought to bear from the West. Going from being shoulder to shoulder with Netanyahu more and more Western leaders are saying that enough is enough. 
The more pressure brought to bear to cease fighting on both sides the better. The sooner the killing stops the sooner moves can be made to try and find a peaceful solution that will be acceptable to all.
Tens of thousands of innocent civilians have already paid the price of the hatred that the Netanyahu government has for the Palestinians and that Hamas has for the Israelis. How many more before meaningful pressure is put on both sides to stop?

The vote was a step in the right direction and hopefully will led to greater pressure in future. We also don’t want to end up on the wrong side of history. It is not a good look for the UK to still be standing shoulder to shoulder with Israel should they be found to be guilty of genocide by the International Court. 

Edited by sadoldgit
Typo and added text
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gloucester Saint said:

As well as the crazy conspiracy theories about she lost office in the time it takes a lettuce to go off, she also stayed silent on a panel when Steve Bannon called Tommy Robinson a hero https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68388579

Here’s the highlights of loony Yankee Liz’s nutty speech https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68376802 or if you can stand it, the full thing and the largely empty arena. 

How about a bazooka with a one way ticket to the USA of A with enough room for Rees Mogg on it as well. Us Brits might get some peace that way. I’d love to see her fuck off there if she thinks it’s so great, leach off their think tanks which is clearly her intention after the GE.

Meanwhile, the Daily Mail reader in Mansfield JDW has been at it again. He can smell the dodgy non-Dom TV cash. This MP business is too much like hard work.

The amount of jibberish in Truss's speech makes me think that Guided Missile must be her speech writer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Yep, I can always get plenty of mileage out of dear old Tommy and his enablers!

Also those who jump on anybody who criticises Israel or Jewish people but don’t bat an eyelid at blatant Islamophobia. Another example of a morally bankrupt far right Tory trying to stoke up the culture wars.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lee-anderson-sadiq-khan-racism-rant-b2501640.html

Going back to the debacle in the Commons the other day, whilst I agree that all parties were involved in playing political games, I don’t agree that the vote didn’t matter. It did.

It took years of internal and international pressure to change things in South Africa. Gaza doesn’t have years but at least more and more pressure is being brought to bear from the West. Going from being shoulder to shoulder with Netanyahu more and more Western leaders are saying that enough is enough. 
The more pressure brought to bear to cease fighting on both sides the better. The sooner the killing stops the sooner moves can be made to try and find a peaceful solution that will be acceptable to all.
Tens of thousands of innocent civilians have already paid the price of the hatred that the Netanyahu government has for the Palestinians and that Hamas has for the Israelis. How many more before meaningful pressure is put on both sides to stop?

The vote was a step in the right direction and hopefully will led to greater pressure in future. We also don’t want to end up on the wrong side of history. It is not a good look for the UK to still be standing shoulder to shoulder with Israel should they be found to be guilty of genocide by the International Court. 

Jesus wept.

Another "it's fine to lambast the Jews" article.

We get it, you don't like Jewish people. No need to include it in every single post / rant.

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Jesus wept.

We get it, you don't like Jewish people. No need to include it in every single post / rant.

Loves a Muslim though

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Jesus wept.

If only the 3 words "or Jewish people" had been left out of the post.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

The good thing is that not many people in the UK want the shit world that Truss is selling. The sight of her toothless face and outstretched hands makes me want to puke.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

The sight of her toothless face and outstretched hands makes me want to puke.

For me its the realisation that she will say or do anything to advance herself. LD to Tory to Trump. Remain to leave.   

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, buctootim said:

For me its the realisation that she will say or do anything to advance herself. LD to Tory to Trump. Remain to leave.   

Yes, she needs the attention. She rates herself as a free thinker, a distruptive  political maverick. Yet she is just a lightweight gob for hire saying the same shit every hard right loon is peddling at the moment, it's hard right by numbers.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

It didn’t make a blind bit of difference to anything. 🤡

Lee Anderthal is only suspended - despite his insane view that the ruling authorities have lost control of London to Islamic extremists and we're all living under Sharia law, he's still very much a part of the Conservative party.

He's a very thick but dangerous man, stoking fires and looking for a culture war to further his own TV career, at a time when the country needs calm and rational thought.

He represents the worst of Westminster and they should chuck him out of the party along with the other members of the hate speech mob who are trying to organise fucking riots and calling for the overturning of the UK court system.

They managed it with the Cenotaph, they are now trying to mobilise other extremist groups, let's hope that little Rishi sees sense and does the right thing and gets rid of the nutters. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

30p expelled from the party. How about Mad Lizzie being kicked out as well?? 

She’s got to leave British politics, let alone the Tory party. Once you’ve called for a convicted felon like Bannon, with a jail sentence hanging over him to come and ‘sort out Britain’, someone who has been trying to organise far right groups across Europe and is an open racist and anti-Semite, you’ve got no future in this country.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24141610.liz-truss-silent-tommy-robinson-called-hero-steve-bannon-podcast/

I think she wants out anyway, loonies abound over there in the various think tanks. If she takes that cunt Matthew Sinclair and her little puppy Alasdair Heath on the ✈️ with her I’d be grateful. 

Sunak is too much of a weak dick, he’s dealt with Anderson but doesn’t want to upset the funny money in an election year with Tufton St and Truss, even as Liz humiliates him, and most of all herself yet again. He’d get some respect if he expelled her.

• Like 3

Lee Anderson is the brainbox who resigned from being Deputy Chairman of the Conservatives because he was going to vote against the Government but in the end didn't vote against the Government because Labour MP's sniggered at him. 

I would suggest that he is a bit of a tosser. 

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

She’s got to leave British politics, let alone the Tory party. Once you’ve called for a convicted felon like Bannon, with a jail sentence hanging over him to come and ‘sort out Britain’, someone who has been trying to organise far right groups across Europe and is an open racist and anti-Semite, you’ve got no future in this country.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24141610.liz-truss-silent-tommy-robinson-called-hero-steve-bannon-podcast/

I think she wants out anyway, loonies abound over there in the various think tanks. If she takes that cunt Matthew Sinclair and her little puppy Alasdair Heath on the ✈️ with her I’d be grateful. 

Sunak is too much of a weak dick, he’s dealt with Anderson but doesn’t want to upset the funny money in an election year with Tufton St and Truss, even as Liz humiliates him, and most of all herself yet again. He’d get some respect if he expelled her.

Calling for Bannon to sort us out is one thing, but a serving MP in the party of government claiming that the president of our biggest ally needs to be kicked out of office for the good of the west is quite another. How the fuck can Sunak even consider letting her keep the whip after that? 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It didn’t make a blind bit of difference to anything. 🤡

So just better to do and say nothing? It suits the purpose of some as they are happy to see Gaza destroyed (aren’t you?). It is a start and you have to start somewhere. Sanctions should follow if Netanyahu continues with his plan but that will come with further accusations of antisemitism and more pussyfooting around. At least Biden is finally starting to show publicly what he really thinks of Netanyahu. We need to grow a pair and follow suit. The vote was a step in that direction.

Anyway, this should be on the Israel thread now, back to the people you support and vote for.

It sounds like someone had been in 30p Lee’s ear (or slipped him a metaphorical brown envelope) and persuaded him that the grass is greener over  on the far right of the fence. He had become a bit of a joke so why not capitalise on his notoriety by joining a caricature far right party? They are sucking these people in like a black hole. The trouble for the Tories is, having kicked out anyone with either intelligence or an ounce of decency, it will leave their party devoid of anything remotely worth voting for and give us a UKIP/National Front/BNP etc hybrid instead. By trying to appease the far right if his party, Cameron didn’t just give the Brexit on a plate, he also sowed the seeds for its future fragmentation.

Word is that Sunak only acted quickly because he was pressured into doing so by a group of “senior Tories”. Funny how you don’t hear the term Tory Grandees any more. I guess that has become an oxymoron.

We have watched the rise of the looney far right of American politics with a mixture of amusement and bewilderment over the last few years, but Trump has managed to infect enough voters to destroy anything decent within the Republican Party. What was laughable, ridiculous and almost unthinkable has now become the norm over there. The fact that Trump is back with a decent shot at becoming President again after everything he has done says it all.

Whilst we don’t have a Trump, we do have a growing movement of people who share the same agenda/mindset. They have been working away for years, chipping away at the Conservative Party from inside and out. You used to be able to name a few decent Tories and listen to them without wanting to throw a brick at the tv. Now they have become a morally devoid bunch, with no leadership, no ideas and no chance of getting reelected. 
Reform will siphon off the swivels. Many have already decided to jump ship and not stand at the next election leaving the rest to look for someone remotely sane and with an element of back bone to rally around. Good luck with that.

Anyway Duckie, get your Reform Party membership application form in. They will need people like you. 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Robert Buckland on Radio 4 this morning said unequivocally that Lee Anderson's comments were racist and it was right to suspend him. Interesting to see what happens next. Thank god there are sime adults left in the tory party.

They are still being very quiet about Braverman’s very similar comments though. Any hint of antisemitism in the Labour Party and the Tories are on it like Duckie on a 9 pinter down at his local alehouse. Any hint of Islamophobia in their own party and…..not so much.

And for those wondering why Labour are having to row back on so many of their original spending plans, this article makes grim reading.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/25/labour-must-spend-billions-on-welfare-or-poverty-will-soar

Good for a laugh though, eh Duckie?

Edited by sadoldgit
Add text
  • Haha 4

They really are imploding now https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-paul-scully-criticised-for-claiming-london-and-birmingham-have-no-go-muslim-areas-13081675

Andy Street and Jess Phillips calling it out. After the carnage the Daily Mail reader from JDW Mansfield just caused and the billowing smoke trail from Truss platforming with the American far racist right, you’d think the other Tory MPs might show some judgement? Not a bit of it.

Brexit has already failed on a policy level but it’s failed politically too because the Tories are fracturing and leaking towards Reform UK/UKIP/BNP/EDL or whatever they are today regardless. Further evidence of it https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mps-believe-lee-anderson-suspension-was-a-mistake-leaked-whatsapps-reveal-13081164

Very rare for me to agree with the IEA on anything but even their broken clock tells the time correctly here with some very clear analysis https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/26/the-tories-have-lost-the-red-wall/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Draw a cartoon of the great prophet in public, then see how you roll

If you go out of your way to deliberately atagonise people you get what you deserve. Try wearing an EDL T-shirt down Brixton High Street, and I am certain that there are some areas where you would get your head kicked in for showing support for BLM. You will find reactionary fuck wits everywhere.

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

If you go out of your way to deliberately atagonise people you get what you deserve. Try wearing an EDL T-shirt down Brixton High Street, and I am certain that there are some areas where you would get your head kicked in for showing support for BLM. You will find reactionary fuck wits everywhere.

Ask the Batley Grammar school teacher...maybe he should die, right?

20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ask the Batley Grammar school teacher...maybe he should die, right?

Don't be ridiculous, I assume you would prefer to "send them all back home" ? The problems are with a small minority who's actions are designed to ensure that the majority end up feeling alienated because the majority population of this country are expected to react adversely. Those Muslims that I know don't agree with the sort of violent actions a few radicals propose, but I respect them enough that I wouldn't show them a cartoon of the Prophet - nothing to do with fear of reprisals by them.

Edited by badgerx16

10 hours ago, aintforever said:

No, because I’m highlighting the hypocrisy of certain people’s outrage at perceived antisemitism compared to blatant Islamophobia. 

Yeah been tucked away as the headline story on the 6pm news. Imagine the coverage of it if was antisemitism?

Edited by whelk