Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Superb appointment. 

He has been brave to continue with a style, even though players at times struggled which is now showing the results. 

Popular with players, good at managing the squad, good atmosphere and popular with fans. 

I said as walked into St Mary's how strange it is arriving feeling confident. 

No other club or fans will have written our automatic chances off yet. 

After those 4 defeats no one  could have hoped or expected any manager to do this well. 

Enjoying going more than I have for years, last 4 home games, 4 wins, 12 goals for, none against. 

I have tonight read both Ipswich and leeds forums, posts there have us as favourites for 2nd. Leeds fans were saying they hope we get 2nd as wouldn't be able to beat us in the play offs. 

Edited by West end Saints
  • Like 8

I’ve decided I’m going to give him until the end of the season. In the event of automatic promotion or better still a glorious Wembley play off victory I shall consider letting him stay, at least until next Christmas. Russ, I know you diligently follow my posts, so, carry on my good man.

• Haha 3

With the pressure Martin was under at the start of the season (I was calling for his head!) you have to respect him for sticking to his principles. And my how it has paid off. The pride is back and St Mary’s is becoming a fortress again. Finally the team has its identity back. Fantastic appointment. 

• Like 4

Well done RM, he got the tactics and subs perfectly today.

Today, and against Blackburn, shows that our squad is far superior to almost all other teams in the division, Leicester (and maybe Leeds) excepted. If he now can keep them playing to their strengths, and not waste half a match with crab football, it's going to be a fun second half to the season. Ipswich will be looking over their shoulders nervously.

• Like 1

Gotta say at the moment he’s looking like our best appointment since koeman.. yes it’s only the championship but at the moment you just can’t see us losing a game ..

also id say over Ralph it’s nice to see a manager that actually fields our strongest attacking lineups too .. gone are the days when we are all moaning where the manager tends to favour inferior players for their work rate .

and to top it off he also has the balls to make decisions that wouldn’t be popular .. arma over che and bringing back people like arribo would not have been popular at start of the season.. but look at them now.. 

fantastic job 

• Like 7

After 24 games, we are now 1 point ahead of Nigel Adkins' promotion winning side. Even given the weaknesses that still exist in our squad.

We beat Plymouth he would be 4 points ahead.

He's doing amazing work. Just imagine what he could do with a late 20's Rickie Lambert instead of Ché Adams.  

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

After 24 games, we are now 1 point ahead of Nigel Adkins' promotion winning side. Even given the weaknesses that still exist in our squad.

We beat Plymouth he would be 4 points ahead.

He's doing amazing work. Just image what he could do with a late 20's Rickie Lambert instead of Ché Adams.  

And Lallana, Fonte and Schneiderlin. And the most important thing that Ipswich are benefitting from, belief and momentum. RM has had to reverse both of those things. 

• Like 3

I have to take my hat off to him and admit to being a convert. Can't deny I've been critical of him because some of the football has been a little sterile at times but he's always maintained that we'd get better and we certainly have. An unbeaten run of 16 games with 11 wins is no mean feat. He's sorted out the defence which is looking very solid and some of the football going forward is superb leading to some great team goals. The subs are being well managed and he's got Aribo playing some brilliant stuff. I also liked his Xmas message video on the official site in which he said that every member of staff at the club is important and is regarded as such from the cleaners upwards. Have to hold my hands up and say I misjudged RM so well done to him and long may he continue.

• Like 6

Yep, he's won me over too :)

Moral of the story? Stick with one's usual/default ultra-positive benefit-of-the-doubt mentality and it'll eventually pay dividends... Looking for the negative slant in a given scenario isn't for me, it transpires... I'll leave that to the posters that are much better at that approach to life than me from here on in... (Where is Alpine these days, btw? :);))

Russell Martin's Red and White Army! 🔴🔴🔴

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

This just shows that a manager/head coach needs time to be able to implement a style of play, and given the years of struggle we’ve faced and modern life’s expectancy of immediate positive results when something changes, Saints fans had become impatient. 

The team itself would need additions to survive in the Premier League but 16 matches unbeaten is a fantastic achievement, and the attitude in the camp seems a long step away from the defeatist acceptance of bad results that seemed so prevalent, from boardroom to the pitch. 

Long may it continue. Well done RM, the team and how it has responded to RM, and the new board for their support so far. 

• Like 1

News flash...

Football fans in lacking patience/ not knowing what they're talking about shock.

The best thing RM has done is change the mentality for the better - no small feat. If you can do that (and if he talks in private like he does in private, you can see how he has managed that) then you have a fighting chance with any team, and especially with our comparatively strong squad.

Long may it continue....

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Alain Perrin said:

News flash...

Football fans in lacking patience/ not knowing what they're talking about shock.

The best thing RM has done is change the mentality for the better - no small feat. If you can do that (and if he talks in private like he does in private, you can see how he has managed that) then you have a fighting chance with any team, and especially with our comparatively strong squad.

Long may it continue....

Yep, this is true. In a recent interview he gave he said about how fractured the club was both with the players and behind the scenes. I like the way he speaks, a calmness with authority and confidence. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I've not seen much criticism of his hair, beard, veganism or dress sense either recently, has he improved these things too?

Some of that stuff was ridiculous.

We lost a game and our manager DOESN'T EAT MEAT. It's a fucking outrage.

And he has hair! Hair I tell you. What a twat. 

How dare he wear clothes. It's an insult. 

• Like 1

I like him, comes across well and I like the football and results we're currently getting.  At the moment things seem to be clicking so that's all good.  I gave him a bit of stick when we were in our losing streak because he deserved it and we were gash defensively.  You can bang on all you like about needing time but no other club was shipping goals like we were and most of them had considerably less resources and this brings me to the most important point:

He's currently achieving exactly what he should be and he's certainly not over achieving.  Most relegated clubs (particularly ones that have been in the premier league for more than a couple of seasons) will go back up and bloody well should be at or near the top of the table.  You can call me entitled but the squad we have in both quality and quantity is far far better than any of the clubs except Leicester and Leeds.

So yeah, I'm loving this right now but lets not kid ourselves he's the new messiah and reinvented football.  Given the resources he has, he's just about delivering.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

He was clearly chosen for his underlying stats and possession based style. It’s nice to see those underlying stats become points on the board, goals and clean sheets. That 4 game losing streak was unacceptable but he stuck by his principles and now we are seeing a proper team. Feels like it’s just clicked now and the belief is starting to come back into the fanbase, for the first time since the Covid run and Koeman before that.

16 games unbeaten, it’s the second best league run without losing in our entire history and we were in the third tier when we did it last (1921/22).

I look forward to watching Saints again, with more expectation/confidence in us than fear. I hope we can keep this going and get that 2nd place spot. Will be very important how we react to a defeat when it comes.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Some of that stuff was ridiculous.

We lost a game and our manager DOESN'T EAT MEAT. It's a fucking outrage.

And he has hair! Hair I tell you. What a twat. 

How dare he wear clothes. It's an insult. 

i suspect this will come home to roost towards the end of the season when he doesn't have the energy and strength to stand on the touchline encouraging the players for 90 minutes. Right at the business end of the season he'll be too fucked due to the lack of protein in his diet to see us over the line.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i suspect this will come home to roost towards the end of the season when he doesn't have the energy and strength to stand on the touchline encouraging the players for 90 minutes. Right at the business end of the season he'll be too fucked due to the lack of protein in his diet to see us over the line.

Flaking out just before extra time in the play off final. Laying on the side of the pitch while one of the coaches spoons quinoa into his mouth. 

• Haha 8

I am very pleased with Martin and I am starting to like him a fair bit, but I don't have the real love I had for Adkins for example. I think it's because I felt that Adkins loved us whereas I think Martin is playing a part and would be acting similarly no matter what club he was at. I think the mask slipped a little a few weeks back when he was a twat to Blackmore. Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't feel the same sense of genuine affection from him that I felt for Adkins and even to some extent Ralph. I suppose it may come in time. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I am very pleased with Martin and I am starting to like him a fair bit, but I don't have the real love I had for Adkins for example. I think it's because I felt that Adkins loved us whereas I think Martin is playing a part and would be acting similarly no matter what club he was at. Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't feel the same sense of genuine affection from him that I felt for Adkins and even to some extent Ralph. I suppose it may come in time. 

Help Adkins already had a promotion under him by this point. I feel the same way though, really liked the way Adkins handled himself from day one, seemed modest yet capable.

Martin was far more single minded from day 1. That did not help.

Just now, Colinjb said:

Help Adkins already had a promotion under him by this point. I feel the same way though, really liked the way Adkins handled himself from day one, seemed modest yet capable.

Martin was far more single minded from day 1. That did not help.

I get the feeling that for Martin it's his playing philosophy that is important and that the club he does it at isn't really important beyond providing him with the necessary resources. Adkins and to a lesser extent Ralph always seemed quite proud to be here. I suppose you could say the same thing about poch and Koeman and we were great under them.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I get the feeling that for Martin it's his playing philosophy that is important and that the club he does it at isn't really important beyond providing him with the necessary resources. Adkins and to a lesser extent Ralph always seemed quite proud to be here. I suppose you could say the same thing about poch and Koeman and we were great under them.

Have you watched his Christmas message on the Southampton FC Official website? It might change your mind although of course he could be just saying what the fans want to hear. It's sometimes hard to discern whether people are genuine.

15 minutes ago, saintant said:

Have you watched his Christmas message on the Southampton FC Official website? It might change your mind although of course he could be just saying what the fans want to hear. It's sometimes hard to discern whether people are genuine.

Yes I did see it and yes I agree with you which is why I thought maybe I am being a bit unfair. It's just my perception, he's clearly a clever bloke with a much greater awareness of his own pr compared to someone like Nathan Jones who was very authentic even if he was a twat. 

Edited by hypochondriac

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I am very pleased with Martin and I am starting to like him a fair bit, but I don't have the real love I had for Adkins for example. I think it's because I felt that Adkins loved us whereas I think Martin is playing a part and would be acting similarly no matter what club he was at. I think the mask slipped a little a few weeks back when he was a twat to Blackmore. Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't feel the same sense of genuine affection from him that I felt for Adkins and even to some extent Ralph. I suppose it may come in time. 

I get what you’re saying here, but as mentioned by someone previously, the Christmas interview where he talked about caring about everyone from the cleaners up to the first team.. I genuinely don’t think that’s an act.

I think he’s a top, top bloke. Won me over as a person from the start and now he’s won me over as a coach too. Lovely stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

I get what you’re saying here, but as mentioned by someone previously, the Christmas interview where he talked about caring about everyone from the cleaners up to the first team.. I genuinely don’t think that’s an act.

I think he’s a top, top bloke. Won me over as a person from the start and now he’s won me over as a coach too. Lovely stuff. 

I'm not saying that's an act, what I'm saying is that's a tactic for success I think he'd employ at any club he's at and I'm not yet convinced he actually cares much about saints as an individual club. Like I said though, that could be harsh. I said similar to my mate at the pub before qpr and he thought I was mental. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm not saying that's an act, what I'm saying is that's a tactic for success I think he'd employ at any club he's at and I'm not yet convinced he actually cares much about saints as an individual club. Like I said though, that could be harsh. I said similar to my mate at the pub before qpr and he thought I was mental. 

i expect he cares about as much as any senior employee at a business anywhere in the world where they have zero connection too. He might like the owners, the colleagues and his staff, the ethos of the club and desperately want to do well. However he'll be here until gets a better offer from a better employee or wants a different challenge, or he gets sacked. He loved it at Swansea too but left when he got a better offer, that's how it all works. It doesn't make him a bad guy or disloyal, but people shouldn't really expect anything different to that.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i expect he cares about as much as any senior employee at a business anywhere in the world where they have zero connection too. He might like the owners, the colleagues and his staff, the ethos of the club and desperately want to do well. However he'll be here until gets a better offer from a better employee or wants a different challenge, or he gets sacked. He loved it at Swansea too but left when he got a better offer, that's how it all works. It doesn't make him a bad guy or disloyal, but people shouldn't really expect anything different to that.

Agree with all that. Not sure I'd say the same about the likes of Adkins though. As an example he's come back to the club in his own time to watch games which I'm not sure you'd do if you didn't have an affection for the club that lasted beyond your employment. 

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Agree with all that. Not sure I'd say the same about the likes of Adkins though. As an example he's come back to the club in his own time to watch games which I'm not sure you'd do if you didn't have an affection for the club that lasted beyond your employment. 

Adkins affection most likely comes from the fact it was his most successful time as a manager, getting promoted twice and being part of the revival of the club.

If, for example, he'd taken Norwich from League 1 to Premier League with back to back promotions he'd probably love them as much as he loves us.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Adkins affection most likely comes from the fact it was his most successful time as a manager, getting promoted twice and being part of the revival of the club.

If, for example, he'd taken Norwich from League 1 to Premier League with back to back promotions he'd probably love them as much as he loves us.

I get that but historically there are examples at multiple clubs where some players and managers have viewed their role at a particular club as more than just a wage at the end of the month. I accept that's the minority though. I think part of the reason is that Martin comes across as very sure of himself (not really a bad thing) bordering on a bit of arrogance which means he's less likable than some other successful managers we have had. I'd absolute take this success of course, but I'm not sure he's at a stage where he's going to inspire a level of love and devotion that certain players and managers have in the past. Will be interesting to see how it develops at any rate. 

24 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Reciting poetry in his interviews helped.

49 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I get that but historically there are examples at multiple clubs where some players and managers have viewed their role at a particular club as more than just a wage at the end of the month. I accept that's the minority though. I think part of the reason is that Martin comes across as very sure of himself (not really a bad thing) bordering on a bit of arrogance which means he's less likable than some other successful managers we have had. I'd absolute take this success of course, but I'm not sure he's at a stage where he's going to inspire a level of love and devotion that certain players and managers have in the past. Will be interesting to see how it develops at any rate. 

I think you are hanging onto your negative view of him, and now he has proved he knows what he is doing are maybe looking for something else. 

Do you honestly think he is any less attached than our other managers have been after 20 odd games? If he has a couple of good years here, I'm sure he will feel a similar bond as Adkins does. 

Most think he sounds a decent guy, very keen to respect the individuals he works with, and appears to be loving his time here. 

Just accept we all misjudge players and managers at times, all of us, and enjoy him while he is here. 

I cannot remember when I last had four consecutive visits to St Mary's (or Dell) giving 4 wins and 12 goals for, none against! 

Edited by West end Saints
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

I think you are hanging onto your negative view of him, and now he has proved he knows what he is doing are maybe looking for something else. 

Do you honestly think he is any less attached than our other managers have been after 20 odd games? If he has a couple of good years here, I'm sure he will feel a similar bond as Adkins does. 

Most think he sounds a decent guy, very keen to respect the individuals he works with, and appears to be loving his time here. 

Just accept we all misjudge players and managers at times, all of us, and enjoy him while he is here. 

I cannot remember when I last had four consecutive visits to St Mary's (or Dell) giving 4 wins and 12 goals for, none against! 

I'm really not. In fact I was making excuses for him earlier in the season when some were deriding him or calling for him to be sacked (something I've never done). I haven't misjudged him at all. I've had a great few weeks enjoying the football and been to most of the games during that time so my opinion has nothing to do with the results or performances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

No, that was weird

Give me that over "Well yeah I think at the end of the day it's a game of two halves, we haven't got any easy games and at the end of the day the lads have trained well this week but we just didn't get that bitta luck that ya need to win games so we just gotta keep believing at the end of the day"

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Give me that over "Well yeah I think at the end of the day it's a game of two halves, we haven't got any easy games and at the end of the day the lads have trained well this week but we just didn't get that bitta luck that ya need to win games so we just gotta keep believing at the end of the day"

Behave, I loved Adkins as much as anyone but that man in glass nonsense was cringeworthy 

• Like 1

I've found him an incredibly easy guy to route for this entire time, and always mentioned how ridiculous some of the reaction was on here earlier in the season.

There's no doubt that we were a team with broken players and a broken fanbase and the fact he's managed to turn that around is clearly a testament to himself as a character. Loved the video the other day where he was singing The Pogues and suddenly shouted Dom Ballard's name as he saw him walking down the corridor. 

The last few home games in particular are so enjoyable and so comfortable, seeing players shine individually and really asserting how much better we are than the opponents.

I'll be going to Plymouth on Friday with full expectation that we'll win, and that's a ridiculous change from recent times.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Behave, I loved Adkins as much as anyone but that man in glass nonsense was cringeworthy 

It was very Mike Bassett. But, it showed me he was a bit daft..... Just like that moment in Mike Bassett, where the facade dropped and it hinted at vulnerability and determination it make me root for him more. 

32 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

It was very Mike Bassett. But, it showed me he was a bit daft..... Just like that moment in Mike Bassett, where the facade dropped and it hinted at vulnerability and determination it make me root for him more. 

I reported on here exactly what was going on behind the scenes at the time of course I got sneered at but it all turned out to be true. Adkins was a dead man walking soon as we lost at home to Reading in the championship. He knew, everyone at the club did too. He didn’t need to make silly quotes to show he was vulnerable, he I was probably the most popular manager we’ve had in 40 years, all except for one person who ultimately made decisions ruled by his ego

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I reported on here exactly what was going on behind the scenes at the time of course I got sneered at but it all turned out to be true. Adkins was a dead man walking soon as we lost at home to Reading in the championship. He knew, everyone at the club did too. He didn’t need to make silly quotes to show he was vulnerable, he I was probably the most popular manager we’ve had in 40 years, all except for one person who ultimately made decisions ruled by his ego

Yet, as much as I loved Nigel...... Does history prove replacing him with Pochettino a correct decision? 

One man has managed in a Champions League Final and achieved things unheard of with the North London Yobbos, the other is now back home on the Wirrall. There are many correct sticks to beat Cortese with, but....... 

13 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Yet, as much as I loved Nigel...... Does history prove replacing him with Pochettino a correct decision? 

One man has managed in a Champions League Final and achieved things unheard of with the North London Yobbos, the other is now back home on the Wirrall. There are many correct sticks to beat Cortese with, but....... 

depends how you look at it. We’d have stayed up that season whoever was manager. I think we were 15th when he was sacked and finished 15th. Pochetino then only did one full season before fucking off for a better offer. In his only full season We finished 8th but got knocked out early in the cups. We might not have finished higher in the league and Poch is obviously a better manager but Adkins wouldn’t have fucked off to spurs and he also wouldn’t have told senior players to leave because the chairman was and he knew he was. Pochetino is obviously a better manager but what he achieved with other clubs is pretty irrelevant to what he did with us. 

there is a clear argument that Adkins was replaced by a better manager, you can’t argue that, but what’s arguable is long term did it really make that much difference to Southampton FC? Possibly only a few league positions. Also let’s not forget it was well known that Cortese tried to replace Adkins that summer with Di Matteo who has an a pretty unremarkable record despite winning the champions league being Lampard and Terrys and cos puppet at Chelsea. Again I was pretty well connected with Chelsea at the time and it’s fact they did well despite Di Matteo not because of him 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

As part of the only circa 5% that voted not to sack him at the start of the season (!), I think it goes to show that as fans we can be too hasty when calling for quite drastic changes and ignoring mitigating circumstances - and I think that is the message to take from the whole thing. And don't get me wrong, I was absolutely livid at our defending during that brief period earlier in the season (Ipswich, Leicester, sunderland etc) as well. But the reality was we did have huge player turnover, lots of changes at all level of the club, low squad morale to turn around, and a new/different style to adapt to.

I'm glad he was given the time, and obviously glad he has really started to come good on early promise / shown progress / delivered on early promise. I still think there is more to come from his team / style, and thankfully we've started to be a lot more ruthless in games and taken our chances to get more than 1 ahead. But it would also be willfully blind to ignore some of the absolute guilt edged chances we still gift the opposition in matches - eventually we're going to regret this in a match or vs higher quality opposition. 

The challenge ofc now is to deliver promotion (which hasn't changed), although I think we will achieve automatics playing as we are... And who knows, if we keep going (and Leicester slip up) then we might go all the way. 

Hopefully the above positivity doesn't come back to bite me and we suddenly embark on a poor run. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, goodymatt said:

That 4 game losing streak was unacceptable but he stuck by his principles and now we are seeing a proper team. 

Well he didn't, he realised that certain things don't work, the inverted full backs for 1, playing too high and susceptible to getting countered from our own corners, soon as that was changed be it from him or help from coaching staff then we suddenly looked more solid, we could then work on his 'russball' but as we've seen it needs to be front footed and positive like the Blackburn/Swansea/ 1st half v Leeds not the slow passive shit, I get that if we're closing a game out but not for 70mins 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Well he didn't, he realised that certain things don't work, the inverted full backs for 1, playing too high and susceptible to getting countered from our own corners, soon as that was changed be it from him or help from coaching staff then we suddenly looked more solid, we could then work on his 'russball' but as we've seen it needs to be front footed and positive like the Blackburn/Swansea/ 1st half v Leeds not the slow passive shit, I get that if we're closing a game out but not for 70mins 

Fair comment that he did tweak some suicidal tactics like the corner set up you mention. I do think it’s also a result of the positional understanding that’s built up over time which is giving us these excellent passages of play to watch more often. 

On Martin’s love/passion for our club, he has his sons attending games, who seem excited by our players and asking for shirts for Christmas. Seems to be trying hard like he did at Swansea to build a connection with the fans and everyone involved at the club. Even if it doesn’t work out or he ends up getting a better offer, it’s a positive and welcome approach. His respect towards Swansea this week was nice to see. I like the guy and really want him to succeed.