The Championship Thread - 2023/24

CSA96

On 18/05/2024 at 18:17, CSA96 said:

So, now we know...

Promoted from League 1: Portsmouth, Derby County, Oxford United

I don’t think any of them have the backing or set up to do an Ipswich, which, if we remain in the Championship helps another promotion push. 

9 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Bet the Janners in the stands won’t be best pleased

Time to change the DoF!

In other news… Maresca, who led Leicester to the Championship title last season and is admired by the recruitment team at Stamford Bridge.

36 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

How many chances are clubs going to give people like him and Gerrard? Absolute frauds as managers, living on their fame and playing career. 

I thought Rooney made a decent pundit a few weeks ago when I heard him on TV, he should focus on that and stay the fuck away from managing clubs. 

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

How many chances are clubs going to give people like him and Gerrard? Absolute frauds as managers, living on their fame and playing career. 

I thought Rooney made a decent pundit a few weeks ago when I heard him on TV, he should focus on that and stay the fuck away from managing clubs. 

Did it have sub-titles ?

Like Carragher  it would be better if he was confined to Radio Merseyside or similar. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Badger said:

Did it have sub-titles ?

Like Carragher  it would be better if he was confined to Radio Merseyside or similar. 

He actually stood up to some crazy Roy Keane rant, rather than what the pundits usually do and just nod-and-agree with him. It was only a fleeting watch so he may not be amazing, but I did like the cut of his jib.

I think I read he's going to be a pundit at the Euro's on one of the channels, so we'll see!

1 hour ago, rooney said:

At least he is not frightened to have a go at the managerial stint, unlike most of the pundits on Sky and BBC etc who would be terrified.

I'm no fan of Wayne Rooney but that is a fair point. 

(put his name there so as you realise its not said about you)

21 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

In fairness, Rooney did incredibly well at Derby. Granted they were relegated but at the start of the season, bookies wern't even taking bets on them staying up. The fact he took them to within 2 games to go with a youth squad, no money and a 21 point deduction is actually quite something.

I wouldn't touch him if he fails this time around but I think this could be a very good appointment. Gerrard also has one failure and one success. No idea what he's done in Saudi mind.

35 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

In fairness, Rooney did incredibly well at Derby. Granted they were relegated but at the start of the season, bookies wern't even taking bets on them staying up. The fact he took them to within 2 games to go with a youth squad, no money and a 21 point deduction is actually quite something.

I wouldn't touch him if he fails this time around but I think this could be a very good appointment. Gerrard also has one failure and one success. No idea what he's done in Saudi mind.

Not sure "incredibly well" is accurate.

Did a reasonable job of doing the siege mentality "they're all against us" thing but his performance was ropey outside of that. He was bloody dreadful the season before as well.

21 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Not sure "incredibly well" is accurate.

Did a reasonable job of doing the siege mentality "they're all against us" thing but his performance was ropey outside of that. He was bloody dreadful the season before as well.

That's the Scouser in him!

• Haha 3

With 10 months under his belt, Russell Martin is up to 6th longest serving manager in the Championship. The merry-go-round in this league goes even faster than the premier league. You would have thought staying up in their first year represents an achievement for Plymouth and the manager could have been given more time to consolidate their position in the league.

11 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

With 10 months under his belt, Russell Martin is up to 6th longest serving manager in the Championship. The merry-go-round in this league goes even faster than the premier league. You would have thought staying up in their first year represents an achievement for Plymouth and the manager could have been given more time to consolidate their position in the league.

They got rid of the manager that got them promoted from League 1 at Christmas, so 'giving managers time' doesn't seem to be in their playbook.

59 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

They got rid of the manager that got them promoted from League 1 at Christmas, so 'giving managers time' doesn't seem to be in their playbook.

they did what?

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

He left for Stoke City.

12 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Stephen Schumacher left for Stoke and Ian Foster was sacked after 16 games for a 20% win rate. They stayed up with an interim in charge, so they are on the look out for a new manager.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Rooney to Argyle official. Locals here aren't too happy about it but I honestly think they might end up pleasently surprised.

As were the good folk of Birmingham of course.

(Well Villa were pleasantly surprised, all else just aghast at how it played out). 

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

That feels such a lazy appointment. Him getting another job mmediately in championship (after being largely responsible for relegating Birmingham) is appalling.

Suppose he kept Plymouth up last season so he might be able to do it again...

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Suppose he kept Plymouth up last season so he might be able to do it again...

Well I suppose he( Rooney)did in away, by ensuring Birmingham got relegated….

On 24/05/2024 at 21:49, CSA96 said:

Going to be a lot more 12:30s next season though, which is annoying

They're virtually turning the championship into a 12.30 league which is rubbish really, would hope the FSA would make a bit more noise about that . Early kick offs rarely have good atmosphere and makes it tough for travelling fans 

7 hours ago, JRM said:

They're virtually turning the championship into a 12.30 league which is rubbish really, would hope the FSA would make a bit more noise about that . Early kick offs rarely have good atmosphere and makes it tough for travelling fans 

Also, drinking at that time of the day means you have to continue drinking and get utterly wasted OR stop drinking and have that tired, hungover feeling for the rest of the day.