The Championship Thread - 2023/24

CSA96

9 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Could win 11 out of 14, finish on 100 points and still not make 2nd place.

You just know that 3 teams are going to finish on close to 100 points and the team that finishes 3rd will go out in the first leg of the play-offs

• Haha 1

Blackburn and Hull have still got all four teams left to play. Coventry, Boro, Sunderland and ourselves all have 3 play too. There is going to be a lot of challenging games over the run in that’s for sure.
IMG_5028.png.70b9c0bdd422a67a616ed951b513612d.png

45 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Blackburn and Hull have still got all four teams left to play. Coventry, Boro, Sunderland and ourselves all have 3 play too. There is going to be a lot of challenging games over the run in that’s for sure.

Interesting we have the most homes to play to get maximum points from.

Leicester also have 2 home games against ourselves and west brom.. lose both of these and then they only only have 4 left to play.

This isn't over in a long shot.

Edited by SaintsFan86

13 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Interesting we have the most homes to play to get maximum points from.

Leicester also have 2 home games against ourselves and west brom.. lose both of these and then they only only have 4 left to play.

This isn't over in a long shot.

Leicester have won 12 of their 16 away games though, they won’t be panicking. They usually win even if they’re not playing that well, they’ll finish a good few points clear of the rest IMO

• Like 1

Sounds like Beale has been dumped by Sunderland, no surprise really as it had turned toxic. He did the Jones on them and alienated the fan base with his shocking comments and actions.

Also Mowbray is stepping away from management until the end of the season for 'medical treatment' - so Birmingham will be managerless too.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Sounds like Beale has been dumped by Sunderland, no surprise really as it had turned toxic. He did the Jones on them and alienated the fan base with his shocking comments and actions.

Also Mowbray is stepping away from management until the end of the season for 'medical treatment' - so Birmingham will be managerless too.

Example A here https://fanbanter.co.uk/under-fire-michael-beale-defends-his-accent-and-demands-more-respect-from-sunderland-fans/

He forgot about his QPR spell when referring to not working in London for 10 years - whoops. The Sunderland equivalent of Adam Blackmore wasn’t too impressed. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint

5 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

What are the bookies odds on promotion currently? 

There will definitely be some unexpected twists but think have to make Leeds favourites for 2nd based on that run in. 

Ipswich will stay in touch as well 

On 16/02/2024 at 10:29, JRM said:

Leicester away will have to move if either team progresses in the FA Cup, obviously we go out to Liverpool but I think they have a chance v Bournemouth. 

Imagine rearranging this one for last week of the season....could have Leicester and Leeds away to finish with, could be exciting or just depressing watching them both celebrating promotions 

surely we will be having a finishing third celebration?

9 hours ago, Dman said:

I think we have no chance of catching leicester, unless they have a freak run of poor form, which given their squad, is not going to happen - that being said, all doesn't seem well at the king power at the minute and they have a history of being a bit 'spursy' (didn't they spunk top 4 a couple of times when it was in their hands), all be it at the top end of the PL, rather than championship.

I think Leeds will beat them and I could see Leeds catching them, given their run in and current form, but even that is unlikley. 

We'd need to win every game to catch them and given who we have left to play, it wont happen. For the sake of entertainment, it'd be great for us to make up 6 points this week and go their 5 points behind them in a months time. 

weren't we told earlier this season that it's the last 9 games when Russball really gets into the team, out 8th last game is Leicester away,  our surge to the title will start just at the right time...

51 minutes ago, JRM said:

What are the bookies odds on promotion currently? 

There will definitely be some unexpected twists but think have to make Leeds favourites for 2nd based on that run in. 

Ipswich will stay in touch as well 

To be promoted:

Leicester 1.02

Leeds 1.33

Saints 1.57

Ipswich 2.62

To win the league:

Leicester 1.22

Leeds 8.00

Saints 10.00

Ipswich 26.00

10 minutes ago, The Cat said:

To be promoted:

Leicester 1.02

Leeds 1.33

Saints 1.57

Ipswich 2.62

To win the league:

Leicester 1.22

Leeds 8.00

Saints 10.00

Ipswich 26.00

Cheers mate, that seems about right. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Will be interesting to see what they are after tomorrow when we've all played the same number of games.

Yep by Saturday evening could be quite different depending on Leeds v Leicester result and whether us or Ipswich slip up. 

On 19/02/2024 at 20:14, JRM said:

Yep by Saturday evening could be quite different depending on Leeds v Leicester result and whether us or Ipswich slip up. 

Well, we've slipped up but I'm still hopeful. Many are singing Leeds' praises but contrary to popular predictions, they'll get thumped against Leicester and that'll knock the stuffing out of them 😉

On 19/02/2024 at 20:14, JRM said:

Leeds will win and the whole of Southampton will be buzzing with Championship title winning fever.

11 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Well, we've slipped up but I'm still hopeful. Many are singing Leeds' praises but contrary to popular predictions, they'll get thumped against Leicester and that'll knock the stuffing out of them 😉

Let's hope so, but I think Leeds will win, I've watched a few of their games recently and they just seem to have clicked, Farke has done a good job there. 

Hoping for a Leicester win tonight. 
but Leeds are consistent and on fire right now.

something we are not. 🤷🏻‍♂️ crazy to have to say that after the run we’ve been on before the Bristol game. 
but we look so damn fragile. 
bugger me…. Vestergaard promoted. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 1

Opta Supercomputer giving Saints an 8.7% chance of autos now. I know nothing is done until it's done but it's such a shame that seemingly two blips are going to dictate our season. Also, madness if Leicester throw this away from where they were... 

6 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

Opta Supercomputer giving Saints an 8.7% chance of autos now. I know nothing is done until it's done but it's such a shame that seemingly two blips are going to dictate our season. Also, madness if Leicester throw this away from where they were... 

In most seasons you can get away with one blip, two blips will be pushing it and make it pretty hard - but dooable.

Two blips in this freak of a season, with the point tallies the teams are getting, is pretty much game over. I still hold a tiny bit of hope in the possible, given that we play all 3 in the mix with us, but it looks an incredibly tall order now. We basically need to win every game. I think we're on for high end 80's, low 90 point wise - which in most seasons will probably squeeze you second, but this season will likely be 4th.

The top 2 this year will be hitting 100+ points easily.

Edited by S-Clarke

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

In most seasons you can get away with one blip, two blips will be pushing it and make it pretty hard - but dooable.

Two blips in this freak of a season, with the point tallies the teams are getting, is pretty much game over. I still hold a tiny bit of hope in the possible, given that we play all 3 in the mix with us, but it looks an incredibly tall order now. We basically need to win every game. I think we're on for high end 80's, low 90 point wise - which in most seasons will probably squeeze you second, but this season will likely be 4th.

The top 2 this year will be hitting 100+ points easily.

It would be the final freak in this  freak season if a team that has conceded as many goals as we have were to go up automatically.

We've already let in more than nearly every club that have gone up automatically has in a whole season, so it's not looking great for us.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

It would be the final freak in this  freak season if a team that has conceded as many goals as we have were to go up automatically.

We've already let in more than nearly every club that have gone up automatically has in a whole season, so it's not looking great for us.

I tend to think goal difference is a good indication of how teams will finish, Leeds is miles ahead of ours , we've been consistently worse at defending than them, 28 conceded to our 45. I conducted a quick survey in the pub after the game on Saturday and not one  thought we'd still get top two so looks like we're all preparing ourselves for seeing out the season and having a go at the play offs. 

Leeds and Ipswich will both win tomorrow night. 

We’re obviously not favourites to go up but there is still a long way to go, the picture can change quickly with a few results.

Think the break will do us good, if we can stay in touch after the next couple of games it is all to play for.

52 minutes ago, JRM said:

I tend to think goal difference is a good indication of how teams will finish, Leeds is miles ahead of ours , we've been consistently worse at defending than them, 28 conceded to our 45. I conducted a quick survey in the pub after the game on Saturday and not one  thought we'd still get top two so looks like we're all preparing ourselves for seeing out the season and having a go at the play offs. 

Leeds and Ipswich will both win tomorrow night. 

Bristol city very much jackel and Hyde. Don’t concede too many either. 
Leeds won’t be troubled by stoke, Huddersfield was a local derby where anything can happen on the night. 
leicester, who knows? Maybe look to steady the ship and end up drawing, heart more than head though I reckon. 
We’re now in the position of pretty much having to win every game for autos, mentally a good place to be I suppose, they’ll be no going away to Ipswich or Leicester and trying not to lose… not that we do that

When people talk about this being a freak season.

This time last season,

1. Burnley 80 points + 43 goals

2. Sheff U 67 points + 24 goals

This season

1. Leicester 81 points +41 goals

2. Leeds 79 points +40 goals

Lots of talk that any normal season we would be top 2 with the points etc that we have. That is correct. 

We currently have 6 more points and a +2 GD on Sheffield U of 12 months ago (and they are f-ing pump). Top spot is much of a muchness with Leicester/Burnley.

Last season had 1 standout side, and another who broke away a bit towards the end, this season is clearly somewhat different at the top...

Edited by AlexLaw76

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

It was a must win game and we won it comfortably overall.

Yes there are issues defensively but we also score a lot of goals and in the last two games could easily have had 6 or 7. The amount of games this season where we have really needed to find a goal or two in the last 20 mins and then have done is quite considerable.

Amazed at the amount of negativity towards Martin, some of it is ridiculous - we are firmly in the race for promotion, have broken a club record for games unbeaten and quite possibly will end the season with our most ever wins in a league campaign. We are behind two teams who were already proven better than us and one that is having a freak season (and who I think we will finish above anyway - although playoff wise think finishing 4th may end up better than 3rd as would fancy us more over two legs vs WBA than either Hull or Norwich).

Saint Charlie put this is in the Sunderland thread. Shows how mental this season is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

When people talk about this being a freak season.

This time last season,

1. Burnley 80 points + 43 goals

2. Sheff U 67 points + 24 goals

This season

1. Leicester 81 points +41 goals

2. Leeds 79 points +40 goals

Lots of talk that any normal season we would be top 2 with the points etc that we have. That is correct. 

We currently have 6 more points and a +2 GD on Sheffield U of 12 months ago (and they are f-ing pump). Top spot is much of a muchness with Leicester/Burnley.

Last season had 1 standout side, and another who broke away a bit towards the end, this season is clearly somewhat different at the top...

It was always going to happen that the three relegated sides would be the strongest. Our unfortunate luck was to come down with them. 

I have stuck by the view that two points per game is the target, it will have got us up each year over the last ten.  I agree this season may be the exception, but that is by no means certain yet.  Matches at this time if the season are much harder as a rule, with weaker opposition often highly motivated.  See QPR, Millwall, Cardiff all beating top four slides over the last fortnight.

If we hit 92 points and it isn’t enough I will take the play offs and not be too down about things.  As difficult as those three away games at our rivals will be, as the team chasing it is good news that we have them still to play.

Looking forward to the run in

• Like 5

For those who are interested, there is also an explanation of the methodology behind it.

Personally I think these things are a long-winded way of repackaging the latest league table. I wonder at what point would they have started to predict Reading to win the 2011-12 Championship.

Be interesting if Leicester finish up in the FA cup final on the Saturday with the playoff finals the following day on the Sunday 🤔.  That might cause a few problems !

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 1

On 10/03/2024 at 16:29, Lee On Solent Saint said:

It was always going to happen that the three relegated sides would be the strongest. Our unfortunate luck was to come down with them. 

got to say that after our abysmal display last season, massive overspend and experienced the last relegation from the Prem, I didn't think it was a foregone conclusion that we'd be challenging for promotion. Slightly surprised at just how good Leicester have been too considering their own financial challenges.    

• Like 1

"Premier League clubs have been accused of making an "empty promise" about a new funding deal for the English Football League (EFL).

A meeting between clubs on Monday ended without an agreement on a 'New Deal'.

Dame Caroline Dinenage, chair of the Culture, Media and Sport committee, accused clubs of "parking the bus"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68542248

3 hours ago, Chez said:

got to say that after our abysmal display last season, massive overspend and experienced the last relegation from the Prem, I didn't think it was a foregone conclusion that we'd be challenging for promotion. Slightly surprised at just how good Leicester have been too considering their own financial challenges.    

Not sure I agree with that, I expected us to be challenging right from the off. As we should have been given the quality in the squad. Only surprise is Ipswich, thought they would have dropped off long ago. Not sure if they have been just lucky with injuries and suspensions.

21 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not sure I agree with that, I expected us to be challenging right from the off. As we should have been given the quality in the squad. Only surprise is Ipswich, thought they would have dropped off long ago. Not sure if they have been just lucky with injuries and suspensions.

Ipswich's figures last year were so good last season and with a good style of play, that it's not a surprise that they have maintained it.

3 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

A lot of EFL publications / podcasts were tipping Ipswich to be challenging this season, so their form isn’t a total surprise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chez said:

I wasn't paying attention to everything from the club before preseason, but I got the early impression that the club were already prepared to spend more than a season in the Championship. For much of the reasons above. The way it ended, the new manager and style, the need to ship out lots of players, yet rebuild. I heard things like project, and later promotion, but not with an expected timescale of this season.

We started decently, I thought. A fair bit of settling into the system, but with a decent quality gap over our opposition. JWP working well with Smallbone, and Tella offering a direct alternative to the other flank. I didn't realise how much the balance was thrown out by their departure until that run in September.

I was a little surprised at Leeds coming back from losing so many of their squad. It was only later I saw how many Leicester had lost.

3 wins on the spin now for Boro, who have Blackburn at home before we play them. So they could well be 4 on the spin and a much tougher game than it would’ve looked a few weeks ago