The Championship Thread - 2023/24

CSA96

21 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We should find out this coming week what day / time our Leicester match will be inevitably moved to. 

Absolutely cast iron guarantee to not be Saturday 3pm.

Monday evening would be my guess. Just to make it as difficult as possible for the travelling support.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We should find out this coming week what day / time our Leicester match will be inevitably moved to. 

Saturday lunchtime is the best we can hope for. The other regular championship slots of Friday night, Sunday lunchtime and Monday night are really shit

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coalman said:

Wow at Leicester's away from. There isn't a huge amount in the home form table (we've played a game less than Leeds and are 5 points behind). The away table is another matter though we don't have the friendliest fixtures left.

The away fixtures don't worry me too much. As it stands we'll go into them happy with a draw vs Ipswich and Leeds... Whereas they are chasing us and will have to win and will be going for it. That suits the way we play as opposed to teams that park the bus. The likes of West brom are teams we should be beating if we turn up, and we shouldn't be losing to them at any rate. And equally, that playoff race is going to be tight and they'll be feeling the pressure whilst we'll be a scalp well out of their reach etc. 

The leiceater game is important however, I could see that one definetly eating into our game advantage over Leeds... But similarly, Leeds aren't going to win every game they've got left. 

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The away fixtures don't worry me too much. As it stands we'll go into them happy with a draw vs Ipswich and Leeds... Whereas they are chasing us and will have to win and will be going for it. That suits the way we play as opposed to teams that park the bus. The likes of West brom are teams we should be beating if we turn up, and we shouldn't be losing to them at any rate. And equally, that playoff race is going to be tight and they'll be feeling the pressure whilst we'll be a scalp well out of their reach etc. 

The leiceater game is important however, I could see that one definetly eating into our game advantage over Leeds... But similarly, Leeds aren't going to win every game they've got left. 

Leeds also have to play Leicester - albeit not away. 

On 12/02/2024 at 01:20, Saint86 said:

Leeds fans are right… we all know it, but our supporter bias stop some from saying it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Can someone just run past me again why we want Leeds to beat Leicester in a couple of weeks?

Because we’re only 14 points behind them with a game in hand, beat them Win our game in hand, they lose to Leeds we win our game the gap is down to 5 points! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Leeds fans are right… we all know it, but our supporter bias stop some from saying it

Yeah right. If we rotate the hell out of the team in one go, change up to play really defensive, and generally unsettle the team chemistry... Then yes... We won't be going into those games sitting above them 😂🤣

14 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Can someone just run past me again why we want Leeds to beat Leicester in a couple of weeks?

Idiots thinking we're never going to lose again and leciester are going to double their loss count in the next 15 games. 

We lost the title in September. We want leeds and ipswich to lose 2nd place in March & April. 

• Like 4

On 11/02/2024 at 16:48, CB Fry said:

Leicester away will have to move if either team progresses in the FA Cup, obviously we go out to Liverpool but I think they have a chance v Bournemouth. 

Imagine rearranging this one for last week of the season....could have Leicester and Leeds away to finish with, could be exciting or just depressing watching them both celebrating promotions 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Just noticed what a good result Ipswich grabbed away to Millwall.

They looked very good, people have been premature to write them off I think, still right in the race for 2nd. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Leicester away will have to move if either team progresses in the FA Cup, obviously we go out to Liverpool but I think they have a chance v Bournemouth. 

Imagine rearranging this one for last week of the season....could have Leicester and Leeds away to finish with, could be exciting or just depressing watching them both celebrating promotions 

Given other fixtures and the international break in March, the earliest it could be rearranged for is 16th/17th April, so there would be a maximum of 2.5 weeks between the rearranged Leicester game and the  Leeds game on 4th May. 

3 hours ago, JRM said:

How much are you putting on? I'm guessing at least a couple of grand? 

Can't believe the bookies are letting people bet on something that is 'obvious'. They are literally giving money away!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Coincidentally...

Effing knew it, flying back from a business trip so no chance of seeing it, I knew it would move but was hoping for Sat lunch, or Sunday or Monday night.

As pointed out elsewhere, when we beat Liverpool or if Leicester beat Bournemouth in the cup.it has to move anyway.

18 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Effing knew it, flying back from a business trip so no chance of seeing it, I knew it would move but was hoping for Sat lunch, or Sunday or Monday night.

As pointed out elsewhere, when we beat Liverpool or if Leicester beat Bournemouth in the cup.it has to move anyway.

You must be gutted to be missing what will be the title decider?

• Haha 1

On 11/02/2024 at 17:48, CB Fry said:

You called it big dog, the sky sports shit show rolls on giving zero fucks about anyone who supports the team in the ground.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Who's making some money by betting on Leeds and Ipswich (and Leicester) to win today?

Bet 365 pay up if your team goes 2 up so put money on these 3 to win with Bet 365. Hope that they go 2 up and then they concede to lose or even draw. Its win win. 😁😁😁

Can’t see Leeds not winning today, they are really on a hot streak. Need someone to beat them to see how they react as their confidence is sky high at the moment and quite rightly so. Ipswich should be but are not on my radar. 

48 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Bet 365 pay up if your team goes 2 up so put money on these 3 to win with Bet 365. Hope that they go 2 up and then they concede to lose or even draw. Its win win. 😁😁😁

I always put a bet on for the below to win

Saints, skates, Bournemouth, Reading, Torquay. I don’t know why and it never comes in! 

From the BBC coverage of Plymouth v Leeds, mentioning the away travels of Leeds fans this month; '"To top it off they've got a trip to the capital to face rivals Chelsea in the FA Cup fifth round this month as well'. How are Leeds and Chelsea "rivals" such that it merits special mention ?

40 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Can’t see Leeds not winning today, they are really on a hot streak. Need someone to beat them to see how they react as their confidence is sky high at the moment and quite rightly so. Ipswich should be but are not on my radar. 

1-0 up already. Didn't expect them to drop points today really.

43 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

1-0 up already. Didn't expect them to drop points today really.

Exactly that, this was a game most would expect them to win convincingly, especially with the form they're in and the attacking prowess they have.

43 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

From the BBC coverage of Plymouth v Leeds, mentioning the away travels of Leeds fans this month; '"To top it off they've got a trip to the capital to face rivals Chelsea in the FA Cup fifth round this month as well'. How are Leeds and Chelsea "rivals" such that it merits special mention ?

Think it goes back to the 1970 FA Cup final that was a bit physical. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

So something most Leeds and Chelsea fans can't remember.

Its part of the folklore and etched in the psyche. 

At least there's a bit more history and substance to it than a mythical dock strike the blue few cling to.

In any other championship season in history 91 points would be enough to go up in second, meaning we’d only need 24 points from our last 14 games

typical saints to get this season of 4 wonder teams up there, or is it a load of shit amongst the rest 

Edited by Mixedkebab

I can 100% see Leeds winning against Leicester next week which means we have to win our next two. Do that and Leicester will be starting to get nervous if we are five behind them and Leeds 6 behind. Any further slip on their part and any one of three teams could be above them. Pressure does funny things to teams, particularly if you've been top all season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

5th to 10th so tight. Only 3 points between them all as it stands. 

Insane (and possibly depressing) to think a crap team currently 10th and 20 points behind could end up going up, at the expense of two of us, Leeds, and Ipswich.

#lotteryoftheplayoffs

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Sunderland incredibly toxic at the moment, reminds me of the time under Jones. Can't see Beale lasting much longer, they absolutely hate him. Including the players seemingly.

We've got them at SMS in a few weeks. Would be good to atone for that 5-0 at the SoL in September.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

We've got them at SMS in a few weeks. Would be good to atone for that 5-0 at the SoL in September.

True, unfortunately we have to play away to the manager who beat us 5-0 first. 

On 13/02/2024 at 21:41, CB Fry said:

Because wanting something has no bearing on it actually happening, some people may therefore wish to want something that could bring about a better outcome.

On 17/02/2024 at 17:35, hypochondriac said:

I can 100% see Leeds winning against Leicester next week which means we have to win our next two. Do that and Leicester will be starting to get nervous if we are five behind them and Leeds 6 behind. Any further slip on their part and any one of three teams could be above them. Pressure does funny things to teams, particularly if you've been top all season. 

I think we have no chance of catching leicester, unless they have a freak run of poor form, which given their squad, is not going to happen - that being said, all doesn't seem well at the king power at the minute and they have a history of being a bit 'spursy' (didn't they spunk top 4 a couple of times when it was in their hands), all be it at the top end of the PL, rather than championship.

I think Leeds will beat them and I could see Leeds catching them, given their run in and current form, but even that is unlikley. 

We'd need to win every game to catch them and given who we have left to play, it wont happen. For the sake of entertainment, it'd be great for us to make up 6 points this week and go their 5 points behind them in a months time.