Glastonbury 2023

AlexLaw76

Went once, 1997.

Got in for free but then no one paid back then. Forgot my sleeping bag and had no wellies. It was horrendously muddy, spent most of my time wandering around in an acid haze around the stone circle chatting to randoms.

At one point we got chased through the mud by some hammered scousers because my mate sold them what they thought was a dodgy pill. 

Barely saw any bands although I did watch Aphex Twin in the dance tent before one of the toilet cleaning trucks sprayed shit inside the tent by mistake and they shut it down.

We go to a lot of festivals but I don't really feel the urge to go back.

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Arctic monkeys are fantastic 

I saw them in Bournemouth when they first released whatever people say I am and thought they were decent but wouldn’t last. 18 or so years on done so many great songs 

Is a fine set. It's great to see bands who can change style and stay at the top for so long, much like Radiohead. 

Always find Glastonbury crowds weird. Not sure how there's no mosh pits for some of these songs. 

14 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Is a fine set. It's great to see bands who can change style and stay at the top for so long, much like Radiohead. 

Always find Glastonbury crowds weird. Not sure how there's no mosh pits for some of these songs. 

Yeah the car and tranquility albums took a bit of time but both great albums. 

I would imagine most people are only there to see a few bands and fitting the rest in with what they fancy seeing.

im not surprised you find the crowd weird they were singing “oh Jeremy Corbyn” a few years ago

Our neighbours have gone. Two lesbians in their mid thirties who have hired a luxury mobile home for the weekend, which kind of sums up the crowd these days .

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

Gotta be honest, bit underwhelmed by Arctic Monkeys.  I wouldn't class myself as a massive fan but I've got "Whatever...." and "AM" on the jukebox and love them.  Also got a copy of Last of the Shadow Puppets kicking around but the later stuff feels like too much like lounge music.  All subjective (obviously) but not that impressed so far.

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Gotta be honest, bit underwhelmed by Arctic Monkeys.  I wouldn't class myself as a massive fan but I've got "Whatever...." and "AM" on the jukebox and love them.  Also got a copy of Last of the Shadow Puppets kicking around but the later stuff feels like too much like lounge music.  All subjective (obviously) but not that impressed so far.

Agree, I'm bored AF. Son and wife went to bed, it's dirge, sadly. We loved the Foo Fighters (of course, who wouldn't!), Sparks and Royal Blood earlier though.  

11 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

The later stuff is a real grower. Honestly the first time I listed to tranquility I thought what is this shite. But after about four or five goes it’s a good album as is The Car. I’m would say I was a massive fan either but they’ve done some great songs, every album is decent and Alex Turner is a very good front man. 

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Agree, I'm bored AF. Son and wife went to bed, it's dirge, sadly. We loved the Foo Fighters (of course, who wouldn't!), Sparks and Royal Blood earlier though.  

Maybe she was putting him to bed in the hope you’d join her and smash her back doors in whilst you put Glastonbury on the bedroom Tv, she’s climaxing just as Alex Turner is belting “out are you mine”? 

another fantasy and opportunity missed young man 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Thought their set was alright. However, he totally butchered 505.

40 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Thought their set was alright. However, he totally butchered 505.

He's been ill, had to cancel Dublin gig to make sure they could play last night.

Definitely wasn't at 100%. Rumours were they had planned to play a lot more old songs but reverted back to main tour set because not enough time to practice stuff they haven't played for a while.

45 minutes ago, trousers said:

A tad pissed of that there's no official footage of the best band in the world due to no cameras on the acoustic stage  :(

#sawdoctors

I wish they'd show more of the smaller stages. There's a whole bunch of incredible bands on across the site that don't get a look in on the TV or radio coverage which is a pity.

• Like 1

25k+ troops half way to Moscow, Border forces  and FSB moving over to Wagners side them as they encounter them, Russia bombing highways and fuel refinery's, Wagner  capturing a couple of Pantsir S's  and already downed a handful of Russian aircraft.... lots of private jets with no destinations fleeing Moscow and Lukashenko doing a runner, with the Belerusan rebels starting to jump and shout.... what a cracking way to start saturday!

There's only one way this is going to end, and that's badly.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Joey-deacons-left-nut said:

25k+ troops half way to Moscow, Border forces  and FSB moving over to Wagners side them as they encounter them, Russia bombing highways and fuel refinery's, Wagner  capturing a couple of Pantsir S's  and already downed a handful of Russian aircraft.... lots of private jets with no destinations fleeing Moscow and Lukashenko doing a runner, with the Belerusan rebels starting to jump and shout.... what a cracking way to start saturday!

There's only one way this is going to end, and that's badly.

Amazing what the reaction to an underwhelming Arctic Monkeys set can do. 

• Haha 5

Just got home and stuck it on. The utterly boring Manics on one channel while the incredible Ezra Collective are smashing it on the red button.

Wunderhorse were amazing earlier according to people I know on site. I imagine they are the sort of band some on here will like.

This review of GNR doesn't pull any punches...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/guns-n-roses-review-glastonbury-festival-b2363553.html

"Rose makes the whole thing sound like a Muppet Show pastiche of hard rock. It’s his voice: a creature that, were you to take it to a vet, would come home in a cardboard box. Mumbling vague approximations of English words as if chronically constipated (if you’ve hit the goat curry hard enough, you’ll feel his intestinal pain), he flips between a lower register that resembles a clogged lawnmower and a higher one that sounds like Barry Gibb suffering the mother of all wedgies."

Rick Astley doing a cover of "Highway to Hell", on drums, in his own set, and an entire set of Smiths covers with Blossoms, Dave Grohl guesting with just about everybody, Manics were totally rank, GnR came acros as a couple of hours of white noise. Glasto is always a mix of highs, the unexpected, new discoveries, and disappointing anti-climax.

Hopefully Elton John can draw the whole weekend to an appropriately over the top climax.

Edited by badgerx16

8 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Rick Astley doing a cover of "Highway to Hell", on drums, in his own set, and an entire set of Smiths covers with Blossoms, Dave Grohl guesting with just about everybody, Manics were totally rank, GnR came acros as a couple of hours of white noise. Glasto is always a mix of highs, the unexpected, new discoveries, and disappointing anti-climax.

Hopefully Elton John can draw the whole weekend to an appropriately over the top climax.

Not just me who thought many of the 'bigger' acts have been rubbish?

Leftfield were excellent, as was Kellis and Raye

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Rick Astley with blossoms was a bit weird. Especially when he stopped the set because he needed a beer. It was okay sort of worked 

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Rick Astley with blossoms was a bit weird. Especially when he stopped the set because he needed a beer. It was okay sort of worked 

Thought that was superb. Best I have seen so far although haven’t caught too much. Clearly Rick is a fan

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I've seen them do that before - surprisingly good. They do a great version of There is a light.