Plymouth 1-2 Saints - FT

AlexLaw76

5 minutes ago, Green Army 75 said:

All in all, even as an Argyle fan, it would be fair to say to you deserved the 3 points. 

Our young team gave their all but rushed and panicked in the first half when we had promising positions and made the wrong choices with the ball.  

Second half you came out and had cleary been told to be more direct and productive with the ball.  Eventually the pressure you could exert paid off. 

I am left with 3 thoughts 

1). I think we’ve enough to stay up.  
2). The transfer window should shut before the season starts.  Will our competitors have to defend the same forward line as we did?
3). I’m really surprised how critical some of your fans are of your players!

Best of luck for the rest of the season.  

1. Plymouth will stay up, no drama. The issue you may have (which will bite at some point) is squad depth/quality.

2. We want to keep Adams and Tella. Should any move on, they will (hopefully) be replaced. We were missing Alcaraz yesterday, who is a brilliant attacking threat. Our manager is pretty confident that we will have a stronger squad come Sept 1st, no matter who leaves.

3. We had a team, well capable of staying up, who were appalling last season. Some of those appalling players (Adams for one), are still here, but the tide is turning.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Green Army 75 said:

All in all, even as an Argyle fan, it would be fair to say to you deserved the 3 points. 

Our young team gave their all but rushed and panicked in the first half when we had promising positions and made the wrong choices with the ball.  

Second half you came out and had cleary been told to be more direct and productive with the ball.  Eventually the pressure you could exert paid off. 

2). The transfer window should shut before the season starts.  Will our competitors have to defend the same forward line as we did?

Bang on, especially point 3!! 

Best of luck for the rest of the season, great to see Argyll back in the Championship. You’ll be more than fine 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green Army 75 said:

I was impressed with your support. A lot of supporters really get behind the team

• Like 5

great to just see us playing with a bit if energy. Loved just see Bednarek drive forward then in 2 passes we were in on goal; refreshing to see after several years of slow tempo sideways passing. KWP seems to have checked out already, can see Fulham or similar coming in with a late bid for him. I've changed my opinion on Adams and Tella, we absolutely have to keep them. A nervy couple of weeks now, especially given that we know clubs are making bids on them.

42 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

KWP seems to have checked out already, can see Fulham or similar coming in with a late bid for him.

Has he checked out or did he just not have a good game?

Ideal player for a lot of Prem clubs, but they wont get him cheap.

Really impressed by Charles. Showed real maturity, especially after he got that harsh booking for accidental handball.

Tella, showing again why imo we shouldn't even countenance selling him.

Had concerns when i saw A.Armstrong in the deeper role but he was really good, that saving tackle in the last seconds exemplifying his effectiveness.

Still not convinced by the defence or goalie. Hopefully they can better gel and we can make the oddtelling buy.

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Don't understand the hate for Manning. I thought he was very good yesterday going forward. Garbage defensively but we knew that when we signed him. 

Yep. He's not a defender. He's played more games in his career in other positions. It shows. 

Screenshot_20230820-124050.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Anyone able to say if it should have been a penalty? We would be furious if we never got that?

So you thought it was a pen? Did you watch the game? Why would you have thought it was a pen? You seem to see the opposite of what Saints supporters see. Were you furious Plym didnt get it?

8 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

So you thought it was a pen? Did you watch the game? Why would you have thought it was a pen? You seem to see the opposite of what Saints supporters see. Were you furious Plym didnt get it?

Where have I suggested or thought it was a penalty?

34 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Don't understand the hate for Manning. I thought he was very good yesterday going forward. Garbage defensively but we knew that when we signed him. 

He reminds me so much of Danny Fox, and at this level that's not a bad thing. We got something like 14 or so assists from Fox in our promotion season, Manning strikes me as someone who can do similar.

I think we'll clearly need to replace should we get to the top level, but we're not there yet and for this level I think he's fine.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be furious if we didn't get the pen because there was hardly any contact (if any) but that doesn't automatically make it a dive. Looked like he just tripped over his trailing leg and so therefore it's neither a foul nor simulation.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

It's hardly hate though is it. He had a poor game and people are commenting on that.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, saintant said:

It's hardly hate though is it. He had a poor game and people are commenting on that.

I struggle to understand what people expected Manning to be. He's a 27 year old free agent from Swansea. If he was particularly good he'd have been snapped up by prem earlier or now. We needed someone steady in that position and he's familiar with the manager's system and free which made him attractive to us. Our other options are a tny constantly injured ex man city kid, a player Walsall considered atrcious, a kid who struggled against Gillingham & a player who has been injured all preseason and is likely going to be going to be sold.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, redkeith said:

Blimey David, you are being g a bit harsh there. He was excellent today, especially considering the booking which could have been a penalty. 

What sort of review did you give Steve Williams at Pompey, Graham Baker at home to Blackpool or Matt Oakley at Goodison. Good debut, tidy player.

In replying to you (Keith) ...I might also be going out to the two dozen other people who shared similar opinions to you on some other posts here.

Yes we were "makeshift", and it was just one of 46 fixtures (43 left now) and we were fortunate to get all three points when a draw looked an obvious result.

If Che Adams does move (good financially for the club) we don't have any obvious replacement who can steal a goal out of nothing.    Likewise with Tella. 

Despite the 61%  possession I felt we lacked a lot especially in midfield . Perhaps I was a trifle unclear in my comments on SHEA Charles, I know and we can't 

expect miracles from a teenager - even if he does cost us 15 million.  After watching JWP roam everywhere around pitches for the last 100 games, there were 

obvious gaps at many times and like others, I am somewhat unaccustomed to seeing a number 24 in the midst of things.   Youthful enthusiasm is one thing, 

but surely the average schoolboy (playing without VAR) knows that a deliberate handball is unlawful and worthy of a yellow card in any game.

If I could see a re-run of the game I might revise my thoughts and if Charles was M.o.M. then TBH... I don't think there were too many other candidates.

My M.o.M ....was referee David Webb (no, not that one) ....who had the courage to book the Plymouth striker for diving when Bazunu never even touched him.  

A vile practice that (even with VAR) would quickly disappear if the punishment was a red card... and not JUST yellow. 

As for the other occasions you mentioned. I was at Fratton Park when Steve Williams made his modest debut in 1976,  and also saw Graham Baker's 

" TV Goal " (whilst some latecomers were still getting into the Dell),  although I wasn't at Goodison Park,  I always felt the club did itself a great dis-service 

by not offering Matt Oakley  a better contract because (at the time) he was a very versatile player that we could ill afford to lose.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I wouldn't be furious if we didn't get the pen because there was hardly any contact (if any) but that doesn't automatically make it a dive. Looked like he just tripped over his trailing leg and so therefore it's neither a foul nor simulation.

It was simulation. If you are ever in doubt then just take a look at what happens with the other leg, the one that is on the other side to any potential contact. The attacker here just ‘pancakes’ his legs much like an aircraft whose undercarriage collapses upon landing.

The question is this, “Was he tripped?”

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It was simulation. If you are ever in doubt then just take a look at what happens with the other leg, the one that is on the other side to any potential contact. The attacker here just ‘pancakes’ his legs much like an aircraft whose undercarriage collapses upon landing.

The question is this, “Was he tripped?”

He's definitely got to work on his gymnastics. Glad he's such a bad simulator as i've seen the likes of Salah get penalties for the equivalent of a mild breeze in contact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

I struggle to understand what people expected Manning to be. He's a 27 year old free agent from Swansea. If he was particularly good he'd have been snapped up by prem earlier or now. We needed someone steady in that position and he's familiar with the manager's system and free which made him attractive to us. Our other options are a tny constantly injured ex man city kid, a player Walsall considered atrcious, a kid who struggled against Gillingham & a player who has been injured all preseason and is likely going to be going to be sold.

They expected him to be at least as good as Perraud in case Perraud left. As things stand, the Frenchman is still here and all things being equal* will easily displace Manning.

* Favouritism may come into play, we don't really know how open-minded and neutral Martin will be on these things.

• Like 2

Great trip and terrific second half performance. Fair play to Plymouth who were decent and well organised and pushed us all the way.

Great atmosphere and support. Shame about some of the kn*bheads, particularly the  couple of lads outside proudly parading the seat backs they’d obviously vandalised off! 

Thought we got the win we probably just about deserved to get over the 90 minutes.

I seem to owe Adam Armstrong a huge apology. I honestly thought he was done here. I saw someone last season who appeared to be broken. His confidence was non existent and I would have taken any money for him.

He's proved me to be massively wrong on this one and long may it continue.  

Edited by Mr Nimbus
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Thought we got the win we probably just about deserved to get over the 90 minutes.

I seem to owe Adam Armstrong a huge apology. I honestly thought he was done here. I saw someone last season who appeared to be broken. His confidence was non existent and I would have taken any money for him.

He's proved my to be massively wrong on this one and long may it continue.  

Sadly...not the first time this has happened.    You buy a player and then end up playing him out of position. 

When Rickie Lambert was on top form and we got Prem. promotion in 2012 , we bought Jay Rodriguez, ands because RL was "  the main man ",

Jay spent half the first season playing on  left wing almost anonymous. 

Later we changed formation and paired them up and for a while they were the best strike force since Boyer and MacDougall.  

Adam Armstrong scored 30 goals, before coming to us, and in a similar situation scored almost no goals..  Ings had left and Che Adams became the sole striker

and left AA stranded on the left side.   If you want to see what Adam Armstrong can achieve there's a good sequence of his goals coring days on You Tube. 

Perhaps if Che does finally leave..?... AA may come into his own. 

On 19/08/2023 at 18:59, Hopper said:

The lad was all over the park and man of the match... 

Yes, but was he 'everywhere' (good) or 'all over the place' (not so good)?

Personally I'd go for the former.  Think we have a very promising young lad there, strong as a bear and his positional sense will improve with time, coaching and experience

• Like 1

20 hours ago, david in sweden said:

In replying to you (Keith) ...... Perhaps I was a trifle unclear in my comments on SHEA Charles, I know and we can't expect miracles from a teenager - even if he does cost us 15 million.  ........Youthful enthusiasm is one thing, but surely the average schoolboy (playing without VAR) knows that a deliberate handball is unlawful and worthy of a yellow card in any game. If I could see a re-run of the game I might revise my thoughts and if Charles was M.o.M. then TBH... I don't think there were too many other candidates. My M.o.M ....was referee David Webb (no, not that one) ....who had the courage to book the Plymouth striker for diving when Bazunu never even touched him. .........

Sure you do need to watch it again! When Charles arm went up in the air it was not deliberate it was a reaction to the defender pulling down on the neck of his shirt from behind. It was a terrible decision from your MOTM who was right in line but did not have the bottle to give the penalty the shirt tug deserved. He bottled it with a very poor yellow card.

Edited by Saints4Prem
highlighted relevant DIS comments
  • Confused 1

As promised, for those that enjoyed the preview, well you will like the review as well I hope.

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/one-game-at-a-time-youre-only-here-for-the-pasties-birmingham-city-a-august-26th.124728/

Consensus....we could have grabbed a point bur second half you bossed the game so no complaints.

Of the main incidents

Hardie...not a pen, but have seen them given so well played the referee. Thought he was Ok overall and they have all been much better than L1 standard issue.

Shirt pull on Charles , probably a pen, sadly ever see them given though...harsh yellow but how Tella wasn't booked....

Your other two attempts to get a pen....the squeal from KWP was embarrassing.....especially as he was already throwing himself down as Mumba got the ball

Edozie....would have been harsh but why clutch  your face when pushed in the chest...

Be interesting to see what your squad looks like post window....but thanks for having me  on here and I'll pop back from time to time....if thats OK :)

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, pafcprogs said:

As promised, for those that enjoyed the preview, well you will like the review as well I hope.

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/one-game-at-a-time-youre-only-here-for-the-pasties-birmingham-city-a-august-26th.124728/

Consensus....we could have grabbed a point bur second half you bossed the game so no complaints.

Of the main incidents

Hardie...not a pen, but have seen them given so well played the referee. Thought he was Ok overall and they have all been much better than L1 standard issue.

Shirt pull on Charles , probably a pen, sadly ever see them given though...harsh yellow but how Tella wasn't booked....

Your other two attempts to get a pen....the squeal from KWP was embarrassing.....especially as he was already throwing himself down as Mumba got the ball

Edozie....would have been harsh but why clutch  your face when pushed in the chest...

Be interesting to see what your squad looks like post window....but thanks for having me  on here and I'll pop back from time to time....if thats OK :)

You looked a decent side in my eyes, a real threat on the break with pace. You'll cause more teams problems this year no doubts.

You were night and day when compared to Sheffield Wednesday for example.

• Like 2