Plymouth 1-2 Saints - FT

AlexLaw76

Good game coming up, live on Sky.

We surely will win this? Although, they are no mugs. Were outstanding last season and have added a few to the squad since.

Their home form is incredible and they have a manager on the up. However, they broke their record signing fee, jointly for Bali Mumba and Mogan Whittaker, both cost just over £1m each. As we decide which £15m striker to bench, surely we will have too much for them?

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We surely will win this? Although, they are no mugs. Were outstanding last season and have added a few to the squad since.

Their home form is incredible and they have a manager on the up. However, they broke their record signing fee, jointly for Bali Mumba and Mogan Whittaker, both cost just over £1m each. As we decide which £15m striker to bench, surely we will have too much for them?

This will be a very hard game given their home form. If we offer free gifts like we did yesterday we'll not get anything although Downes should start and will certainly toughen up the midfield resistance.  

Plymouth was my dads team, used to go to Home Park all the time in 70s-90s. Booked a hotel for it and wanted to take my boy, but the tickets sold out on day 3!

They were great last season and really resilient, often winning from losing positions, I like Mumba and Hardie. It should be a good game, but I think we will come out on top.

I don’t want to be pessimistic as I have been impressed with a lot of our play over the past two Championship games but the defence does need sorting. It’s early doors but we need good results against Plymouth and QPR as the five games after could really set the tone for the season - Sunderland, Leicester, Ipswich, Middlesbrough, Leeds. All five will be our closest rivals this season.

Edited by Maggie May

Based off the state of play today and all we know at this point - with the huge caveat that people are liable to come/go - I'd go with:

Bazunu

Walker-Peters
Bednarek
Stephens
Manning

Downes
Charles

Tella
Alcaraz
A. Armstrong

Adams

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 6

I think Charly has the number 10 role sewn up. Wingers are two out of Edozie, Tella and Amo-Ameyaw with A-A going to be a starter sooner rather than later. Charles is a must start as DM as we need something in front of our defence. Manning and KWP are nailed on. Smallbone's range of passing gives him the other CM spot until Downes.

The doubts are in central defence, goalkeeper and striker. Striker is either Che or AArmstrong with the former offering more threat and the latter seemingly preferred.

Bazunu and McCarthy isn't a choice any manager will take joy from having to make. But marginally Bazunu due to ball at feet.

Centre back is what really terrifies me. I don't want to live in a world where I'm relieved we're playing Stephens and Bednarek because it keeps Lyanco off the pitch. More so than keeper because we give too many gilt edged chances.

And please for fuck's sake can they spend all week working on defending crosses.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I was not to impressed with Edozie yesterday. Amo-Ameyaw had more influence in his limited time on the pitch but a full match?

I've yet to see Edozie perform in a way that has any significant end product, I'd give him a couple of games with the u21s to work on that a bit. Would be tempted to play Stu Armstrong in that role away from home. 

Expect Smallbone will be injured for this game so we're short in centre mid, hopefully new players signed in time to feature,  I think some of our defensive weakness comes from a lack of ball winners in midfield. 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Based off the state of play today and all we know at this point - with the huge caveat that people are liable to come/go - I'd go with:

Bazunu

Walker-Peters
Bednarek
Stephens
Manning

Downes
Charles

Tella
Alcaraz
A. Armstrong

Adams

This is exactly who i'd go for, Personally i'd swap out Charles for Smallbone if he is back.

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Who will you be supporting?

• Haha 2

I'm sure we'll see an actual defensive midfielder play in this one as they have some quick players and will trouble us like Norwich did if we push forward that high.

No idea who will win. Even after 2 games the Championship just seems all over the place which is great.

1 minute ago, Appy said:

Anyone’s tickets arrived yet? 

They have them. I rang them on Thursday because I needed to change from post to collection. They put them by so I could pick up them yesterday. 

They do seem incredibly slow at posting stuff out. Now the season tickets are done you'd have thought it should speed that sort of thing up.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Plymouth v Saints - Saturday 1230
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
9 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Bazunu

Walker-Peters
Bednarek
Stephens
Manning

Downes
Charles

Tella
Alcaraz
A. Armstrong

Adams

I'm with you on this, although if Smallbone is fit I'd start him instead of Downes, I think.

Edozie had a poor match, Adams looks too good for this level and Armstrong seems in confident form and is also working very hard, so I'd bring Che in and move Armstrong to the left.

5 minutes ago, rooney said:

But he would not be up to speed with player knowledge and our playing system with existing players.

I mean if Smallbone is out then no way will he play S.Armstrong in there again after what transpired on Saturday. If he signs this week I'm 99% sure he plays. 

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

He played Russell's system for a year at Swansea.

He will know how to play it and what is expected.

Indeed. When Manning came in it was obvious that he'd played for Martin before. I'd imagine that coming in and sitting in front of the back 4 won't be a difficultly for him. 

Having listened to the Plymouth fan on TSP last night, I'm going to be confident and go for a 1-3 win.  Seems like Plymouth don't have a lot of height and don't often score from set pieces, and they also like to play football rather than be direct.  I think that's the kind of team we'll play better against.

Team mostly picks itself.  We should be playing one of Downes or Charles in the defensive mid position and then it's a question of whether Smallbone is fit or not.  Hopefully he's back.  Agree with others that Che deserves to start and A Armstrong doesn't deserve to be dropped so Edozie to miss out there.

36 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Having listened to the Plymouth fan on TSP last night, I'm going to be confident and go for a 1-3 win.  Seems like Plymouth don't have a lot of height and don't often score from set pieces, and they also like to play football rather than be direct.  I think that's the kind of team we'll play better against.

Team mostly picks itself.  We should be playing one of Downes or Charles in the defensive mid position and then it's a question of whether Smallbone is fit or not.  Hopefully he's back.  Agree with others that Che deserves to start and A Armstrong doesn't deserve to be dropped so Edozie to miss out there.

Why doesn't AArmstrong deserve to be dropped? He has 3 goals, a deflection he knew nothing about and two penalties that didn't trouble the side netting. If Che plays that would push him wide and I don't see him taking on his man or stretching the play as he's not a winger. I'd keep Edozie in that role with the only question being when Sam A-A is ready to start and whether it's Tella or Edozie that makes way.

Also think Charles deserves a starting spot. Would rather have Downes and him and give Charly to license to pull them apart with two tricky wingers stretching play. It'd give our well documented defensive and keeping issues more of a shield too.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, coalman said:

Why doesn't AArmstrong deserve to be dropped? He has 3 goals, a deflection he knew nothing about and two penalties that didn't trouble the side netting. If Che plays that would push him wide and I don't see him taking on his man or stretching the play as he's not a winger. I'd keep Edozie in that role with the only question being when Sam A-A is ready to start and whether it's Tella or Edozie that makes way.

Also think Charles deserves a starting spot. Would rather have Downes and him and give Charly to license to pull them apart with two tricky wingers stretching play. It'd give our well documented defensive and keeping issues more of a shield too.

Just an opinion mate. Personally think that A Armstrong has his confidence up and deserves to keep starting. Edozie has looked good but not delivered anything yet, needs to work on his end product. Two defensive mids seems overkill to me, we’re not playing Man City.

• Like 1

Think I’d start Charles and Che to see if the extra height does make a difference both in attack and importantly in defence. Downes, assuming he signs, has to start if Smallbone is out. So difficult to predict either way but think it could be our first defeat with their home advantage…2-1. If we’re able to improve our defending, control midfield and score a couple of goals it’s ours for taking.

• Like 1

I don't love Arma but benching him after 3 in 2 (regardless of how they came about) would be strange.

Thought he looked good off the left so I'd also take Edozie out for this one.

Che
         Arma - Alcaraz - Tella
            Downes - Charles
Manning - JB - Stephens - KWP
                         :( 

• Like 4

On 13/08/2023 at 12:26, Fan The Flames said:

Plymouth was my dads team, used to go to Home Park all the time in 70s-90s. Booked a hotel for it and wanted to take my boy, but the tickets sold out on day 3!

They were great last season and really resilient, often winning from losing positions, I like Mumba and Hardie. It should be a good game, but I think we will come out on top.

I got ticket in home end as was in same boat in that didn’t get to me. Looks to be a sell out as looks like no longer on general sale. 

• Like 1

I went to the Argyle game in 1966 when we were on our way to our first ever promotion.

Early May if I recall and we needed to win, which we did 3-2.

No segregation in those days and plenty of Saints fans around the ground.

We went behind the goal and, before the start of mass hooliganism and unfortunately witnessed a bloke get bottled not far from us.

Not sure which team the perpetrator supported or who was the victim but quite out of character for the time and not great for a young lad to witness.

Hope we can replicate the win without any nastiness.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Plymouth 1-2 Saints - FT
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic