Plymouth 1-2 Saints - FT

AlexLaw76

16 hours ago, pafcprogs said:

Greetings saintly Ones

I write a review/preview piece on Pasoti which looks at the last/upcoming fixtures from a highly Green perspective. Aims to be factually correct on the history, but humorous in intent.....feel free to contact to correct any factual errors .

Looking forward ( hopefully) to our continuation of Sky performances 3/3 at home last season....or maybe 4...can't remember if the Wednesday game was Sky or not, but Ipswich Exeter and Derby all were for sure...so that would be nice...

Anyhoo, safe travels for those making the short hop (it's all relative) to HP.

I'll post the link to the review one when its done.....you can stop reading that one when I start talking about Brummie's :)

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/one-game-at-a-time-youre-only-here-for-the-pasties-southampton-h-august-19th.124649/#post-2407976

"You could be forgiven for expecting a Blue Peter style totaliser being unveiled outside the ground for fans to keep a track of how much cash has rolled in. Not much has gone out yet."

Image result for Leonardo dicaprio Cheers. Size: 157 x 100. Source: www.huffingtonpost.com

In all seriousness about Saints having too much for them, I think Plymouth will win. They are formidable at home, have serious pace on the counter, which is what will undo us as we miss loads of chances, and leave ourselves wide open at the back.

We have already proven that keeping the ball will not stop the opposition from scoring (lots)

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

Have a feeling this will be a heavy loss. 3-0. Way too exposed at the back. And they don't seem to know what they're doing. If Downes in and fit by tomorrow, all changes, but at the moment I feel we are very exposable when we lose the ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Apart from 2 centre backs and a midfielder that are too slow for this league and 2 forwards who don't score or contribute enough in open play, we have a good side. We need goals big time. Can't rely on penalties or unintentional deflections.

Hopefully Adams is out at long last. Is it true his total PL goals in 4 years were scored in one, he still wouldn't get him a golden boot. I had him down as a skip player, so £12M far exceeds his worth.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, DT said:

Have a feeling this will be a heavy loss. 3-0. Way too exposed at the back. And they don't seem to know what they're doing. If Downes in and fit by tomorrow, all changes, but at the moment I feel we are very exposable when we lose the ball.

I thought we were undefeated in the league but must be a different Southampton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do the club not show the Press conference on Twitter / youtube anymore? Or am I just being thick? 

A shame Downes isn't about for this one, we could have really done with him. Especially with Smallbones absence. Side picks itself for me; 

Bazunu

KWP Janny B Stephens Manning (although i'd go perruad)

Charles

Stu Alcaraz 

Tella Adams AA 

Tough game, i'm gonna go 2-2 or 2-1 Plymouth. 

Edited by Dman

Such pessimism based on one game and some transfer inaction.

Russell's had another week training the team. Let's see what they produce on the pitch. Backed by a raucous away following fuelled by beer, there'll be a real desire and focus I think.

3-2 to Saints.

24 minutes ago, Dman said:

Do the club not show the Press conference on Twitter / youtube anymore? Or am I just being thick? 

A shame Downes isn't about for this one, we could have really done with him. Especially with Smallbones absence. Side picks itself for me; 

Bazunu

Charles

Stu Alcaraz 

Tella Adams AA 

Should appear on YouTube soon. Also, the highlights of the Norwich game took almost a day to go up on the Southampton YouTube channel.

1 minute ago, Sussex_saint said:

Should appear on YouTube soon. Also, the highlights of the Norwich game took almost a day to go up on the Southampton YouTube channel.

It used to be live though, didn't it? Maybe I'm getting old and just dont understand the process of how they upload these things! 

16 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Can someone provide bullet points?

• we can’t defend 

• we haven’t signed anyone 

• we are shit

• we will fail to win 

• some dross about Plymouth being amazing 

• some dross about Exeter fans 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Dman said:

Bazunu

Charles

Stu Alcaraz 

Tella Adams AA 

It was on Live on Twitter at 8.30am this morning, dont think the time was preannounced though

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

It was. I watched it on the Saints Official Site.

9 minutes ago, Nolan said:

It was on Live on Twitter at 8.30am this morning, dont think the time was preannounced though

Cheers - must have missed it then. Will keep an eye open for next week 👍

19 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

image.png.fa4ab22984f552111605313782bf5700.png

That’s a relief. CM is the area we’re very much light in right now, a lot of responsibility in young Charles’ shoulders this weekend as there’s not much other midfield grit to pair him with. Feels like we’ve got to get through tomorrow then look to strengthen with hopefully both Smallbone coming back and Downes coming in, then it’ll feel much better.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2023 at 16:19, AlexLaw76 said:

No, but we went straight to the Premier League first shout, and the bulk of those players took us to European football..

Plymouth have been brilliant, and think you have an exceptional manager. But you aint going up this season (or next)

You guys may be for a little shock on Sat. An entertaining 3-1 win to Argyle. 

Edited by Janner

If we win this tough away game and do it in some style it'll put down a marker that we can be considered early contenders for promotion.  A draw would be ok with me and maybe even a narrow defeat.  Anything else will ramp up the pressure to replace some of those who've been sold and bring in some new faces. Looking forward to seeing how the game unfolds because it's a difficult one to call.

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Any shouts for away pubs? Ideally not spoons if can be helped. 

Both before and after the game? Appreciate it's early KO...

Long time since I've been to Plymouth, so no idea of any good pubs 

The Bank is decent. We're going to the Embassy before the game but it's a home only pub so no Saints shirts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

Such pessimism based on one game and some transfer inaction.

Russell's had another week training the team. Let's see what they produce on the pitch. Backed by a raucous away following fuelled by beer, there'll be a real desire and focus I think.

3-2 to Saints.

Where are you intending to drink and when given it’s a 12:30 ko? I’d have thought you’d be stone cold sober! 😂

29 minutes ago, saintant said:

Don't know much about Plymouth other than they are meant to have a pacey forward line. They'll fancy it against Bednarek and Stephens.

The whole team is quick. I’ve never seen anything like it.  (Our right back will stand out as being slow tomorrow due to injuries to others who play there). 

We hope you play a high line and try to press us in our half and leave space in behind.  Hardie, Mumba and Whittaker are all lightening quick and the right ball will get played eventually.  Randall and Cundle in midfield are hugely competitive and are both box to box midfielders as well. 

I think this constant threat of pace is why we score so many goals in the final 30 mins of games.  Defenders just get worn down. 

Although we know your team is of a different quality and we’d take a point right now if you offered it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Green Army 75 said:

The whole team is quick. I’ve never seen anything like it.  (Our right back will stand out as being slow tomorrow due to injuries to others who play there). 

We hope you play a high line and try to press us in our half and leave space in behind.  Hardie, Mumba and Whittaker are all lightening quick and the right ball will get played eventually.  Randall and Cundle in midfield are hugely competitive and are both box to box midfielders as well. 

I think this constant threat of pace is why we score so many goals in the final 30 mins of games.  Defenders just get worn down. 

Although we know your team is of a different quality and we’d take a point right now if you offered it.  

Based on your second paragraph, I can see a comfortable 3-0 win for Plymouth.

• Haha 2

Don’t underestimate the quality you have in your team though.  

Most of our team played in league 1 last year and most of yours played in the Premiership.  

You should be confident of coming here, dominating the ball, keeping it tight at the back and nicking a goal from a set piece etc.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Green Army 75 said:

Most of our team played in league 1 last year and most of yours played in the Premiership.  

You should be confident of coming here, dominating the ball, keeping it tight at the back and nicking a goal from a set piece etc.  

You obviously don’t watch us much to be confident in that 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Green Army 75 said:

Keeping it tight at the back 🙂

16 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

A fan caught the players getting off the team bus earlier in Plymouth. 

So I asked who she saw. 

Tella and Adams are there apparently. :)

She’s my friend,used to work with her. She travels all over with her kids to see saints. 
they spotted the coach and gave it a follow. Got drenched waiting for them to get off. I asked her the same question. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, saint lard said:

She’s my friend,used to work with her. She travels all over with her kids to see saints. 
they spotted the coach and gave it a follow. Got drenched waiting for them to get off. I asked her the same question. 

I'm following her on Twitter, travels everywhere... Fair play to her.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Army 75 said:

You will be more worn out having 20% possesion and chasing shadows.

4 hours ago, Green Army 75 said:

Sit back then kick n rush. Got it.

• Haha 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Plymouth 1-2 Saints - FT
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic