Plymouth 1-2 Saints - FT

AlexLaw76

1 minute ago, EssEffCee said:

I seem to recall there being quite a bit of trouble in the home ends for the L1 promotion game.

Didn't the match confirm their relegation too? Understandable that they weren't too happy at loads of ours celebrating in home ends! 

It certainly did. I was in the Saints end and recall a more than a handful of Saints Fans being outed around the ground during the game.

Of course, at St Marys, we hate it when away fans are in the home sections......

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It certainly did. I was in the Saints end and recall a more than a handful of Saints Fans being outed around the ground during the game.

Of course, at St Marys, we hate it when away fans are in the home sections......

If you sit in the wrong end and keep yourself to yourself then no one cares.

If you celebrate a goal you're likely to get a slap. Same at pretty much every ground apart from Fulham who are too posh to get involved in a ruck.

I was in the home end for that game and nothing happened to me because I kept quiet.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Cat said:

If you sit in the wrong end and keep yourself to yourself then no one cares.

If you celebrate a goal you're likely to get a slap. Same at pretty much every ground apart from Fulham who are too posh to get involved in a ruck.

I was in the home end for that game and nothing happened to me because I kept quiet.

There is a certain etiquette that ought to be followed. 

Some of us are old enough to remember the days when there was no control over who stood (I almost wrote sat) where and everybody got on with each other and behaved themselves. 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

There is a certain etiquette that ought to be followed. 

Some of us are old enough to remember the days when there was no control over who stood (I almost wrote sat) where and everybody got on with each other and behaved themselves. 🤨

I went to a couple of away games in the home end as a teenager in the naughty days of 1970/80's - that certainly focussed your mind to follow etiquette and avoid a ride in an ambulance after a bloody good kicking.

• Like 2

I am quite shocked that so many on there seem to think we should/will win this. Plymouth have had a great start and are in winning form for over a year now. With the loss of WS and no replacement in as yet, as it stands I would take a draw for sure from this one. If we do not tighten up at the back we will concede two goals, minimum. Can we score 3 or 4 again to win?

Again, as with my prediction for Norwich, this is a game we will not win. We will lose or draw. Early days yet. Once RM has gotten in the people he wants by the end of the window, then we can start to gel better and hopefully start winning more than we draw. At this early stage with such a changing squad, the biggest text is to avoid as many defeats as we can. Draw instead of lose, and win the games we really should win like QPR.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

I am quite shocked that so many on there seem to think we should/will win this. Plymouth have had a great start and are in winning form for over a year now. With the loss of WS and no replacement in as yet, as it stands I would take a draw for sure from this one. If we do not tighten up at the back we will concede two goals, minimum. Can we score 3 or 4 again to win?

Again, as with my prediction for Norwich, this is a game we will not win. We will lose or draw. Early days yet. Once RM has gotten in the people he wants by the end of the window, then we can start to gel better and hopefully start winning more than we draw. At this early stage with such a changing squad, the biggest text is to avoid as many defeats as we can. Draw instead of lose, and win the games we really should win like QPR.

I agree, think Plymouth have looked very impressive, will be much harder to beat than Sheff Wed. We look completely lost in midfield and offer the defence no protection , can't see that changing much. 

As per the question at the fans forum , whole spine of team has weakness. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, JRM said:

I agree, think Plymouth have looked very impressive, will be much harder to beat than Sheff Wed. We look completely lost in midfield and offer the defence no protection , can't see that changing much. 

We have actually had no central midfield for around 3 or 4 years.

It’s coaching and managerial organisation that is causing this not really the players lacking anything individually.

Edited by captainchris
  • Like 1

On 15/08/2023 at 09:25, EssEffCee said:

I seem to recall there being quite a bit of trouble in the home ends for the L1 promotion game.

Didn't the match confirm their relegation too? Understandable that they weren't too happy at loads of ours celebrating in home ends! 

From memory, wasn't there a load of Exeter fans in the home end or something? Celebrating their relegation? My memory is rather hazy though. Remember a load of Plymouth fans hiding in the park and then launching rocks at saints fans as we left the ground which was nice...

Really looking forward to this weekend though, despite early start.  Should be a good game, they're a really good side, full of confidence. We are a bit of an unknown quantity, and far from the finished article. I'd say a very good time to play us.

Assuming Downes is fit...

Bazunu

KWP
Bednarek
Stephens
Manning

Charles
Downes
Alcaraz

Armstrong
Adams
Tella

• Like 2

Even if Downes arrives I don’t see him starting. At best he will have trained twice with team. Bench. 
Shea will likely replace Will and when and if we are looking porous in midfield again like as per Norwich because both Stu and Charlie are not so good at tracking back then Flynn may come on. 
Given Russell’s love of Armstrongs flexibility I’d also not be surprised to see him backing up Che who actually starts and Sam being dropped for this one. He’s not as fast not as tricky but he tracks back better. That may suit Russell for this tough away game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JRM said:

RM disagreed.

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

RM disagreed.

Well he needs to prove it. (He seemed to not like the keeper being flagged as a weakness even though we all of course know it is) but centre mid looks really weak to me at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

From memory, wasn't there a load of Exeter fans in the home end or something? Celebrating their relegation? My memory is rather hazy though. Remember a load of Plymouth fans hiding in the park and then launching rocks at saints fans as we left the ground which was nice...

Really looking forward to this weekend though, despite early start.  Should be a good game, they're a really good side, full of confidence. We are a bit of an unknown quantity, and far from the finished article. I'd say a very good time to play us.

Assuming Downes is fit...

Bazunu

KWP
Bednarek
Stephens
Manning

Charles
Downes
Alcaraz

Armstrong
Adams
Tella

I doubt there were Exeter fans, there were loads of Saints fans around the ground, I knew quite a few. 

We got held in the ground after the game by the exit, other side of the fence Plymouth fans had congregated waiting for us and chucked rocks over, remember one hitting a young lady right on the forehead so don't think they'd taken relegation very well. 

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

We got held in the ground after the game by the exit, other side of the fence Plymouth fans had congregated waiting for us and chucked rocks over, remember one hitting a young lady right on the forehead so don't think they'd taken relegation very well. 

Reminds me of the testimonial for the Portmouth keeper I went to at Fratton Park..

7 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

We’ll smash them. No one can stop Russell martins barmy army  

Central midfield is overrated anyway. Attack, attack, attack 

E I E I E I OOOOO 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I doubt there were Exeter fans, there were loads of Saints fans around the ground, I knew quite a few. 

There were also Exeter fans at the back of the Lyndhurst Stand, they jumped up and sprayed beer around when Rickie scored. Plymouth assumed by the red and white stripes under jumpers/coats it was Saints fans until they got close up. A couple got a shoeing and in a mess. Was a very risky thing to do given the strength of their rivalry and how dark a day that was for Argyle. This came from Plymouth fans at work and their forum at the time. 

A couple of Saints fans also got loud after the third as someone has mentioned already and were chased/kicked out. Majority of us were fine as kept ourselves to ourselves. I also was in the main stand at the Exeter away game and managed not to give myself away despite Rickie’s last minute winner. I think people knew but as others have said as long you behave it’s usually ok in most places. Cardiff/Swansea away is where I’d not do it and Leeds only with friends from that area.

15 minutes ago, Mr X said:

One thing's certain we sure as shit aren't keeping a clean sheet with five goals conceded in two games 😂

You  can say that again. This season in three games opponents have had 11 shots on target against us and we've conceded 8 goals , shocking stat for those of you into the XG etc. 

16 hours ago, JRM said:

And two Policemen were walking out with us and they ignored the hooligans, but then they did have their helmets on.

I have no fecking idea what are scores are going to be. Play like we did against Wednesday and we should win, or if like Saturday could be anything. 

Plymouth have started well though, better than I thought they would. 

Greetings saintly Ones

I write a review/preview piece on Pasoti which looks at the last/upcoming fixtures from a highly Green perspective. Aims to be factually correct on the history, but humorous in intent.....feel free to contact to correct any factual errors .

Looking forward ( hopefully) to our continuation of Sky performances 3/3 at home last season....or maybe 4...can't remember if the Wednesday game was Sky or not, but Ipswich Exeter and Derby all were for sure...so that would be nice...

Anyhoo, safe travels for those making the short hop (it's all relative) to HP.

I'll post the link to the review one when its done.....you can stop reading that one when I start talking about Brummie's :)

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/one-game-at-a-time-youre-only-here-for-the-pasties-southampton-h-august-19th.124649/#post-2407976

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pafcprogs said:

Greetings saintly Ones

I write a review/preview piece on Pasoti which looks at the last/upcoming fixtures from a highly Green perspective. Aims to be factually correct on the history, but humorous in intent.....feel free to contact to correct any factual errors .

Looking forward ( hopefully) to our continuation of Sky performances 3/3 at home last season....or maybe 4...can't remember if the Wednesday game was Sky or not, but Ipswich Exeter and Derby all were for sure...so that would be nice...

Anyhoo, safe travels for those making the short hop (it's all relative) to HP.

I'll post the link to the review one when its done.....you can stop reading that one when I start talking about Brummie's :)

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/one-game-at-a-time-youre-only-here-for-the-pasties-southampton-h-august-19th.124649/#post-2407976

This bit is very accurate 🤣

You have to wonder about the fit and proper person test being passed by any club owner for whom, when struggling to build a successful Premier League Club picks a CV out from the pile, sees the name Nathan Jones and thinks, yep…he’s the one!

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Greetings from the Green Army. 

Welcome to an excitable Home Park.  

We are a tremendously well run club that is hugely over achieving.  Our budget last year was 14th biggest in League 1 and is no doubt the smallest in the Championship.  We have no debt and only spend what we bring in.  

However we only bring in players that can be sold on for a profit….and they must have pace.  Argyle are fit, athletic and will hound for 100+ minutes.   Each player is developed to play one position and become an expert in that position.   However, we may not have a fit right back at the moment so will be vulnerable down that flank.  

Be under no illusions that are target this year is 4th bottom.  Anything else is a massive bonus.  We expect a defeat on Saturday given your pedigree but hope springs eternal.  We have won every match at HP in this calendar year so we do play with confidence and our subs scored the most goals in all 4 divisions last year (33 I think) and we do like a last minute winner 🤣.  

We will attempt to hound you all over the pitch and will attack directly when we get the ball.  Our midfielders know they get subbed if they pass side to side.  They have to go forward to our front 3 of Whittaker, Mumba and Hardie.  They’re our chance of staying up.  You will have most of the ball as we will create chances or give the ball away trying.  We are the opposite to Ipswich who will try and bore you to death with possession. 

However we are realists and the difference in quality is vast.  We are perennial underdogs.  It got farcical last year when the pundits were calling Ipswich the best ever League 1 team…whilst we were top……and they never did catch us. 

We are a hugely popular club now and tickets sell out before they get to general sale so if a Saints fan was lucky enough to get in the home end I suggest you keep a very low profile.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Green Army 75 said:

Oh I see.  
Did get 101 points as well?

No, but we went straight to the Premier League first shout, and the bulk of those players took us to European football..

Plymouth have been brilliant, and think you have an exceptional manager. But you aint going up this season (or next)

True.  They were good but I think if you wish to judge the quality of league 1 you need to limit it to players and teams in league 1.  

The fact that a core group of players continued to improve and, with a strengthened squad, gained another promotion is fabulous for the fans but those players weren’t in league 1 when you got into Europe - they had had 2 more years of development and coaching.  

4 minutes ago, Green Army 75 said:

True.  They were good but I think if you wish to judge the quality of league 1 you need to limit it to players and teams in league 1.  

The fact that a core group of players continued to improve and, with a strengthened squad, gained another promotion is fabulous for the fans but those players weren’t in league 1 when you got into Europe - they had had 2 more years of development and coaching.  

No, but they were good enough to gain an immediate promotion to the premier league, without spending a day out of the top 2 in the Championship all season.

Lets see if Argyle, despite being a brilliantly run club, can come close to that.

57 minutes ago, Green Army 75 said:

We are a tremendously well run club that is hugely over achieving.  Our budget last year was 14th biggest in League 1 and is no doubt the smallest in the Championship.  We have no debt and only spend what we bring in.  

However we only bring in players that can be sold on for a profit….and they must have pace.  Argyle are fit, athletic and will hound for 100+ minutes.   Each player is developed to play one position and become an expert in that position.   However, we may not have a fit right back at the moment so will be vulnerable down that flank.  

Be under no illusions that are target this year is 4th bottom.  Anything else is a massive bonus.  We expect a defeat on Saturday given your pedigree but hope springs eternal.  We have won every match at HP in this calendar year so we do play with confidence and our subs scored the most goals in all 4 divisions last year (33 I think) and we do like a last minute winner 🤣.  

We will attempt to hound you all over the pitch and will attack directly when we get the ball.  Our midfielders know they get subbed if they pass side to side.  They have to go forward to our front 3 of Whittaker, Mumba and Hardie.  They’re our chance of staying up.  You will have most of the ball as we will create chances or give the ball away trying.  We are the opposite to Ipswich who will try and bore you to death with possession. 

However we are realists and the difference in quality is vast.  We are perennial underdogs.  It got farcical last year when the pundits were calling Ipswich the best ever League 1 team…whilst we were top……and they never did catch us. 

We are a hugely popular club now and tickets sell out before they get to general sale so if a Saints fan was lucky enough to get in the home end I suggest you keep a very low profile.  

Sounds like our worst nightmare 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Army 75 said:

Just cross the ball into our penalty area. Our defence has been rigourously drilled to mark space and give heading practice to attackers. If you're lucky we might even knock the ball down for you to shoot.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

What's the capacity of HP? I was always under the impression it was quite large, but my memory is not what it was!

All I know is they give piss all as an away allocation. ST with 5 aways didn’t get a look in

2 hours ago, Green Army 75 said:

a Saints fan was lucky enough to get in the home end I suggest you keep a very low profile.  

I’m taking a trumpet to try and get oh When the Saints going. My signal to Batman in the other stand to start

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

What's the capacity of HP? I was always under the impression it was quite large, but my memory is not what it was!

Just under 17K... constant debate on our site about how to fill in the corners etc to increase capacity vs the ones who panic that we lose two in a a row and the crowds will halve....

Stay up and I think we will use some of the extra TV money to boost capacity....at least this season we should sell out the away end more ofyten than  say a Port Vale, Fleetwood or Cheltenham....

Whats the awat=y capacity for St Marys....think we might fill it if we a re going well....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pafcprogs said:

Just under 17K... constant debate on our site about how to fill in the corners etc to increase capacity vs the ones who panic that we lose two in a a row and the crowds will halve....

Stay up and I think we will use some of the extra TV money to boost capacity....at least this season we should sell out the away end more ofyten than  say a Port Vale, Fleetwood or Cheltenham....

Whats the awat=y capacity for St Marys....think we might fill it if we a re going well....

We'll give you about 3000 at St Mary's 

So Downes not looking imminent and Smallbone out for a long time. Edozie may not start if he still has a tight hammy. So possibly a few changes here.

Baz, KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning, Charles, Stu, Alcaraz, Tella, AA, Adams? Or Manning into midfield and Perraud at LB is the other thing I can think of, without relying on Doyle. Definitely need a CM brought in sooner rather than later or we'll be resigned to sticking Aribo in there.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Plymouth 1-2 Saints - FT
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic